PDA

View Full Version : Any other annoying pistol trends?

Ron3
02-04-23, 08:54
I am annoyed and just want to complain.

- RDS capable but mount high so sights must be stupid high or aren't available. (Beretta and Springfield come to mind)

- Too-short grips! Full size or Subcompact. We need more "compact". I don't want my little finger on the magazine. Especially for the compact .45's. (Springfield, S&W Sheild for example) Where are our optic-capable compacts that aren't Glocks?

I often want things nobody else does, though. I'd absolutely buy a Glock Gen 5 G38 with a low-milled optic mount. Or a Gen 5 G36X. (Longer grip and 8+1)

Why the hell didn't Beretta just do like Langdon to lower the mount on the 92X RDO? Why aren't there low-milled RDS alloy-framed 4.25 in 1911's and 2011's?

I'd like to hear your rant about pistols / pistol products that annoy you.

gaijin
02-04-23, 09:23
I’d offer that most manufacturers/producers are less “shooters” than just, business men.

Todd.K
02-04-23, 09:53
Most of us are wondering why anyone is making new pistols for .40 or .45, and you are asking for a new 45GAP? Is your inability to find a longer gripped compact because you are excluding 9mm? I’d like a ShieldX but have you seen a G43X or P365X?

There are things in the slide like firing pins, strikers, extractors, springs, so the question is really why do consumers demand an optics cut on pistols that are obviously not well suited for it?

Ron3
02-04-23, 10:33
Most of us are wondering why anyone is making new pistols for .40 or .45, and you are asking for a new 45GAP? Is your inability to find a longer gripped compact because you are excluding 9mm? I’d like a ShieldX but have you seen a G43X or P365X?

There are things in the slide like firing pins, strikers, extractors, springs, so the question is really why do consumers demand an optics cut on pistols that are obviously not well suited for it?

I've been shooting .45 more lately and reloading it, too. I like it.

About 9mm, yes. In a large-ish, daily CC gun I'd rather have about 10 rds of .45 than 15 rds of 9mm.

Wanting an optic, mounted low, and wanting back-up sights, significantly reduces gun options.

Todd.K
02-04-23, 11:58
IWanting an optic, mounted low, and wanting back-up sights, significantly reduces gun options.

I think we will see a move towards new designs with lower and better integrated optics. Clearly we are not there yet, as neither manufacturers nor consumers seem realistic about what should and should not be optics ready.

Ned Christiansen
02-04-23, 12:15
Annoying to me is quality and the tendencey to "get that son of a bitch on the market, we're not waiting around for testing, and we're not going to waste ten minutes per gun to make sure it's reliable!"

And, "If it breaks it breaks! It probably won't break because the numbers tell us they won't shoot it much anyway! Now SHIP THEM!"

Ron3
02-04-23, 13:12
I think we will see a move towards new designs with lower and better integrated optics. Clearly we are not there yet, as neither manufacturers nor consumers seem realistic about what should and should not be optics ready.

What do you mean, "...should and should not be..."? (Genuinely curious)

Todd.K
02-04-23, 16:20
There are some pistols that obviously don’t integrate well with optics cuts. It shouldn’t take ridiculously tall iron sights to see them through the optic.

My position is that if you can’t fit an optic well into the slide, you shouldn’t try to use one on the pistol.

I think a part of the reason people say the dot is difficult to find can be if it’s mounted too high the presentation has to be different.

WillieThom
02-04-23, 16:27
Every one of us here understands why 9mm is the standard. But .45acp is just the shit and I don’t care what anyone says…

I’m annoyed that Glock has yet to put out a Gen 5 Glock 30 that has the slide dimensions of the 30S and a longer grip to accommodate a 10rd Mag that’s NOT extended. You know… Glock 19 dimensions but in a .45acp package with 10+1 rounds. We all know it’s coming and the G21.5 seems to confirm it, but I wish it would hurry.

mark5pt56
02-06-23, 06:48
Quality Control is a big one, SW for example, 2 Performance Center revolvers in the last month going back, both cylinder issues, binding. A third we could fix, loose ejector rod--how does that get out of QC? Of course the elephant man-Equalizer-wtf. They could at least dump that grip safety from the EZ line. Big thing is on the PC EZ line, the grip safety is larger, so that tells me they know that the smaller one causes shooter related problems. Yes, a training issue in a sense but one has to alter the grip slightly to insure its depressed.

That and the gay assed shiiit of folks thumbing the front end of a slide to "press check" and if you don't have a light, dot and 20 rounds in your gun, you will die idiots.

markm
02-06-23, 08:12
I've been shooting .45 more lately and reloading it, too. I like it.

Good God 9mm has wrecked my pistol shooting. We we've taken a 45 out for the last two weeks and 4 of us shooters look like complete shit. Two guys who aren't as active in shooting as Pappabear and I just couldn't hit shit.

I had to REALLY slow down and super focus on getting a clean break on the trigger. I really need to pick up some 40 cal ammo and get used to shooting a full powered pistol again. It's disturbing.

Ron3
02-06-23, 14:14
Quality Control is a big one, SW for example, 2 Performance Center revolvers in the last month going back, both cylinder issues, binding. A third we could fix, loose ejector rod--how does that get out of QC? Of course the elephant man-Equalizer-wtf. They could at least dump that grip safety from the EZ line. Big thing is on the PC EZ line, the grip safety is larger, so that tells me they know that the smaller one causes shooter related problems. Yes, a training issue in a sense but one has to alter the grip slightly to insure its depressed.

That and the gay assed shiiit of folks thumbing the front end of a slide to "press check" and if you don't have a light, dot and 20 rounds in your gun, you will die idiots.

Good one! Quality is absolutely a problem!

Ron3
02-06-23, 14:29
Good God 9mm has wrecked my pistol shooting. We we've taken a 45 out for the last two weeks and 4 of us shooters look like complete shit. Two guys who aren't as active in shooting as Pappabear and I just couldn't hit shit.

I had to REALLY slow down and super focus on getting a clean break on the trigger. I really need to pick up some 40 cal ammo and get used to shooting a full powered pistol again. It's disturbing.

A couple years ago I decided "I'm getting away from .45 acp forever."

Then I started reloading. Concerns of cumulative recoil on the wrists and cost of shooting it are both considerably reduced by reloading. .45 acp is pretty versatile. Want a 255 gr bullet loaded hot for penetration? It can do it. Want a lightweight, low recoiling SD bullet that expands to near an inch with reduced penetration? Can do. Want just a 180-200 gr lead / coated bullet at 800 fps for low-recoil practice / fun? It will do that, too!

Plus, with my timer, I've learned that the extra recoil of .45 doesn't actually slow my shooting or lessen my accuracy. Much to my dismay, actually. Because for years I've been of the opinion that, "if all service pistol bullets suck, why not carry the Beretta Cheetah .32 /.380 I enjoy so much? At least I get hits faster than any 9x19, let alone a more powerful cartridge." Wrong. I can draw and fire them all as quickly with the same accuracy at close range. At longer range the bigger guns can get the hits more easily than the small ones. Duh. Especially with an optic.

Now, I've found I can shoot .45 acp just as fast with the same accuracy. If I can find the right gun, afford the ammo, the gun holds "enough" bullets for me, and each bullet may have more "stopping power" (Yea, I said it!) why not carry it?

I've got a new .45 pistol coming for try-outs right now. :)

Todd.K
02-06-23, 14:35

Did you find a longer grip compact?

Ron3
02-06-23, 15:58

It's going to be close. I have medium sized hands and I saw reviews of other guys claiming that with the magwell flare removed (designed to be removable) they can scrunch their little finger just onto the baseplate.

There are extended factory base plates that are available should the extra 3/8 in be desired.

The gun isn't light, to help dampen recoil. It isn't heavy, so I'll carry it. It is optics-ready and I'll put my 507C on it. Higher iron sights available from Dawson Precision. Holds 9+1, changeable backstrap, and for a little extra safety, has a grip safety.

You know what it is and I'm going to give it a chance. :rolleyes: :D

Pappabear
02-07-23, 17:27
Annoying to me is quality and the tendencey to "get that son of a bitch on the market, we're not waiting around for testing, and we're not going to waste ten minutes per gun to make sure it's reliable!"

And, "If it breaks it breaks! It probably won't break because the numbers tell us they won't shoot it much anyway! Now SHIP THEM!"

Yea, Ned, this is why most used guns are a fair deal. People rarely shoot like many guys on this forum and shoot weekly. So guns are mostly pre owned more than used.

I'm annoyed I don't have more guns, that's about it.

PB

Ron3
03-02-23, 08:24

Only about 200 rds through the Springfield XDM Elite Compact (I think that's correct) and except for my reloads being long for it, it worked fine & I like it.

My reloads had been tailored for the M&P 2.0 but the XDM has a slightly shorter chamber, apparently, causing the slide to just barely not close all of the way and making it tough to eject the unfired round. I'll push those bullets in a tad more and retry them. 200 gr LFN. S&B, Silvertips, and Underwood 185 gr +p Nosler JHP also ran fine.

I appreciated the larger 507c optic window over the Leupold Micro.

Surprisingly, the XDM had LESS recoil than the full size M&P. It's because the grip is slightly wider and more rounded, and the dual recoil springs probably helped alot, too. That was a nice surprise.

Excellent ejection, good accuracy, no trigger issues.

Need to shoot it more & get tall sights for it.

markm
03-02-23, 09:58
Most of us are wondering why anyone is making new pistols for .40 or .45, and

Men still buy guns. I know the feminization of everything in America has also permeated pistol calibers, but some guys still shoot the men's division!!! :p

Todd.K
03-02-23, 13:50
I said new guns, as in new designs.

I wasn’t suggesting they stop making 1911’s for old people yet.

markm
03-02-23, 14:02

Such toxic masculinity! ;)

RHINOWSO
03-02-23, 16:33
Wanting an optic, mounted low, and wanting back-up sights, significantly reduces gun options.

Just go with a Glock 19/17/43X. Spend your energy being mad elsewhere. The water is fine, come on it...

RHINOWSO
03-02-23, 16:34
Gotta give something for the old timers to tinker and try to fix all the time, after they jam at the range from being in their glove box because they never get carried...

Todd.K
03-02-23, 19:12
My original comment was actually serious and not a poke at our elderly shooters.

Look at the Sig P365, there is no talk about a larger caliber and it’s a huge seller for them. Making a 9mm pistol that can be upsized to .40 has downsides, especially in the smaller carry sizes and they obviously don’t think the sales are enough to offset it.

It also costs money to make and stock parts for every pistol in every caliber.

I really don’t pay much attention to anything .45 but I’m pretty sure Sig dropped the P320 some time ago. I think .40 still has some inertia in LE so I expect to keep seeing duty sized pistols in it for a while.

Twilk73
03-02-23, 23:04
Take the optic footprint of the acro or the holosun 509t and make it the standard in pistol red dots. Then pistols can come optic ready and we can stop with Ali this milling and long waits for costume work.

Ron3
03-03-23, 10:17
Just go with a Glock 19/17/43X. Spend your energy being mad elsewhere. The water is fine, come on it...

Already spent the 90's-2013 w/Glocks.

The guns I like now don't share the grip angle, feel better in-hand, and don't throw casings in my face. All while being reliable. :)

BuzzinSATX
03-03-23, 11:10

Agree! I started shooting my G23.4 again about 6 months ago just to get better with my G19’s. I’d gotten complacent with mostly shooting 9MM and a LOT of .22LR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BuzzinSATX
03-03-23, 11:13
A couple years ago I decided "I'm getting away from .45 acp forever."

Then I started reloading. Concerns of cumulative recoil on the wrists and cost of shooting it are both considerably reduced by reloading. .45 acp is pretty versatile. Want a 255 gr bullet loaded hot for penetration? It can do it. Want a lightweight, low recoiling SD bullet that expands to near an inch with reduced penetration? Can do. Want just a 180-200 gr lead / coated bullet at 800 fps for low-recoil practice / fun? It will do that, too!

Plus, with my timer, I've learned that the extra recoil of .45 doesn't actually slow my shooting or lessen my accuracy. Much to my dismay, actually. Because for years I've been of the opinion that, "if all service pistol bullets suck, why not carry the Beretta Cheetah .32 /.380 I enjoy so much? At least I get hits faster than any 9x19, let alone a more powerful cartridge." Wrong. I can draw and fire them all as quickly with the same accuracy at close range. At longer range the bigger guns can get the hits more easily than the small ones. Duh. Especially with an optic.

Now, I've found I can shoot .45 acp just as fast with the same accuracy. If I can find the right gun, afford the ammo, the gun holds "enough" bullets for me, and each bullet may have more "stopping power" (Yea, I said it!) why not carry it?

Everything you mention are great points and also apply to .40 and 10MM as well.

I’m just beginning to load for .40 in anticipation of a G23.5 MOS and that cartridge is pretty fun to shoot when loaded to 60% of the range and can make shooting 9MM a breeze.

BuzzinSATX
03-03-23, 11:28
Most of us are wondering why anyone is making new pistols for .40 or .45……

Because some folks like variety, and don’t need to feel compelled to follow whatever herd is gathering…

Most of my guns are 9MM, but I’m pretty sure I’ll always have at least one .40, one 10MM, one .45ACP, a .38, and a .357. That’s not counting my .22’s. Why?

Because I feel that shooting stouter guns in training makes me a better 9MM shooter. When I go to the range, I always start with a .22 (G44) and get the trigger work/sight alignment stuff in and warm up. Then I get into 9MM with either a G19 iron sight or MOS, or a G43X/G48 MOS. Those are my carry guns.

But lately, I’m bringing my G23.4 along and shooting several magazines for trigger control and mental conditioning as the recoil is more than my G19, and I feel it is helping me better deal with G43X recoil and recovery.

And also, I like my .40 cal. It’s a great caliber to shoot. Sure, no one needs it…but when did “need” really mean much in a firearm conversation?

Ron3
03-03-23, 11:48
".., I've found I can shoot .45 acp just as fast with the same accuracy..."

When I say this, I mean me, with my timer and targets, there isn't enough difference to make a difference.

The difference is within my constancy. I hope that makes sense.

Were I a pro-gamer, there would be a repeatable difference that could matter in a close match. In a gunfight that time probably isn't going to be enough to get me a better hit or another hit, or an effect that matters. That's my assumption.

Bullets making slighter larger and / or slightly deeper holes? That could make more of a difference. Again, my assumption / hope.

Or, none of it will make a difference. Oh well.

BobinNC
03-03-23, 12:08
I said new guns, as in new designs.

This old guy sold off his last 45 ACP 1911 before the turn of the century. Now all I have left is a pair of Gen 3 G19's, a G43x, a Gen 3 G23 and a Gen 3 G30S and a few S&W revolvers for the range on those days when the ennui is strong.......

MA2_Navy_Veteran
03-03-23, 13:11
The only annoying pistol trend that I'm aware of is people choosing to mount & use red dot sights on their pistols rather than mounting & using either a visible laser & light, or an IR laser & IR light... especially when shooting at night or under dark conditions.

MA2

Ron3
03-03-23, 13:55
The only annoying pistol trend that I'm aware of is people choosing to mount & use red dot sights on their pistols rather than mounting & using either a visible laser & light, or an IR laser & IR light... especially when shooting at night or under dark conditions.

MA2

I think most shooters won't have an application for that. Sounds like fun, though.

Todd.K
03-03-23, 14:37
And also, I like my .40 cal. It’s a great caliber to shoot. Sure, no one needs it…but when did “need” really mean much in a firearm conversation?

Because gun companies “need” to make money to stay in business.

Let me be more specific. My comment was not about my nor anyone else’s preferences, wants, or needs. It’s just market and trends observation.

The time where every new pistol has to come out in every caliber is ending.

Was Glock in ANY hurry to Gen 5 the .40 or .45? Low market share.

A majority of the slim carry guns are only in 9mm. That’s a really hot selling part of the market right now, if there was a lot of demand for .40 and .45 everyone would make them.

BrigandTwoFour
03-03-23, 14:45
It's probably neither here nor there, but I'm kinda tired of everyone just continuing to chase the polymer-framed wunder-9 pattern. The more it goes on, the more I start looking for something else interesting. I've really come to enjoy my alloy-framed CZ PCR not just because of the superior ergos, but I get to have a little more flexibility with things like grip panels.

Sidneyious
03-03-23, 14:50

MA2

a pistol lam is still as pointless as it was when they had the mk23

MA2_Navy_Veteran
03-03-23, 15:15
a pistol lam is still as pointless as it was when they had the mk23

Pointless?...
Hardly - & LAMs are still more practical than any pistol mounted red dot.

MA2

BuzzinSATX
03-03-23, 15:23
Because gun companies “need” to make money to stay in business.

Let me be more specific. My comment was not about my nor anyone else’s preferences, wants, or needs. It’s just market and trends observation.

The time where every new pistol has to come out in every caliber is ending.

Was Glock in ANY hurry to Gen 5 the .40 or .45? Low market share.

A majority of the slim carry guns are only in 9mm. That’s a really hot selling part of the market right now, if there was a lot of demand for .40 and .45 everyone would make them.

No argument on your points. And to clarify mine, the “need” comment was aimed at the consumer, not company.

WRT Glock Gen 5 .40’s, they did have to retool for the heavier slide, a smart move in my mind. And also, when has Glock been accused of being in a hurry for ANY release? Look at how long it took them on the G43…and the G44…. They clearly don’t move at the speed of sound…or even the speed of “Sig”

But I conceded the point that the masses are moving to 9MM, which is, in my mind, causing an extended resurgence in the 1911 platform as well.

I do have a new G23.5 MOS in my future…along with either a G45 or G47 MOS. But clearly my safe and my ammo cache is very lopsided towards 9MM.

Ron3
03-03-23, 15:54
No argument on your points. And to clarify mine, the “need” comment was aimed at the consumer, not company.

WRT Glock Gen 5 .40’s, they did have to retool for the heavier slide, a smart move in my mind. And also, when has Glock been accused of being in a hurry for ANY release? Look at how long it took them on the G43…and the G44…. They clearly don’t move at the speed of sound…or even the speed of “Sig”

But I conceded the point that the masses are moving to 9MM, which is, in my mind, causing an extended resurgence in the 1911 platform as well.

I do have a new G23.5 MOS in my future…along with either a G45 or G47 MOS. But clearly my safe and my ammo cache is very lopsided towards 9MM.

It was sad to learn that the gen 5 G23 cannot use gen 3/4 .357 G32 barrels.

Sidneyious
03-03-23, 16:59
Pointless?...

MA2

Its ok, those nights sights will help you find your gun in the dark.

MA2_Navy_Veteran
03-03-23, 19:03
Its ok, those nights sights will help you find your gun in the dark.

Ah... So it's actually you (as a person) that is what's pointless. Good Luck with that though. I'm out.

MA2

Slater
03-04-23, 07:24
Not really annoying, but just seems to be a trend - the move away from full size/duty size handguns to compact and microcompact. Seems to be the smaller the better.

gaijin
03-04-23, 08:37
Gotta give something for the old timers to tinker and try to fix all the time, after they jam at the range from being in their glove box because they never get carried...

Lawdy! The lack of Knowledge and Respect is appalling.:D

Todd.K
03-04-23, 09:08
Not really annoying, but just seems to be a trend - the move away from full size/duty size handguns to compact and microcompact. Seems to be the smaller the better.

I think the first half is correct but the second is not.

I call like to call them the slim model, because just being micro is no longer accurate. The hottest selling slim models are approaching G19 grip length. Even the smaller models I see at the range are mainly being shot only with the extended grip.

RHINOWSO
03-04-23, 10:35
Pointless?...

MA2

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia1.tenor.com%2Fimages%2F1f90bbf46dcbef26463d8ef2babd03e2%2Ftenor.gif%3Fitemid%3D17789508&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=4c43cf026ed094b26f7cc8b9367c2be4766e8a6d64c3cefa8a5229ff386adabe&ipo=images

m4brian
03-04-23, 11:31
THE most annoying and its not even close.The trend that SHOULD have been.

Years ago, Walther offered us the IDEAL mag release - on the P99AS. Everyone trashed it cuz "we are already using buttons cuz of the JMB and we can't think of doing anything differently, so take your good ideas and go home". Now think how many buttongun reviews you've seen with "this mag release is not _______ or too _____ fill in the blank)". You may HATE the paddle but every button gun you see needs all sorts of mods to make it right. Too large, too low, no protector, hard to use, too easy to use, and on and on. The P99 paddle needs NO modification. It is ambi, has all the leverage you'll ever need, won't get activated when you don't want, is good for big and small hands, won't activate on a holster, etc. etc. It is superior in every way, but no one has the testicles to use it. Everyone ran away in with the group think condemnation. So... it is an old trend, and happened years ago, but it is the black death of the gun industry. OK... now I feel better. :cool:

BTW - the prevailing notion is that you have to 'retrain' - it takes 3 mags and its over. Do dry fire drills BEFORE you carry anything else, and its done.

Sidneyious
03-04-23, 11:54
I call like to call them the slim model, because just being micro is no longer accurate.

I can tell you why, not really all about marketing but generally the name pocket pistol connotes bad images of what its like to carry in a pocket.

Warp
03-06-23, 18:49
I’d offer that most [gun purchasers and owners] are less “shooters” than just, guys who own guns
Fixed that for you

Warp
03-06-23, 18:51
THE most annoying and its not even close.The trend that SHOULD have been.

Years ago, Walther offered us the IDEAL mag release - on the P99AS. Everyone trashed it cuz "we are already using buttons cuz of the JMB and we can't think of doing anything differently, so take your good ideas and go home". Now think how many buttongun reviews you've seen with "this mag release is not _______ or too _____ fill in the blank)". You may HATE the paddle but every button gun you see needs all sorts of mods to make it right. Too large, too low, no protector, hard to use, too easy to use, and on and on. The P99 paddle needs NO modification. It is ambi, has all the leverage you'll ever need, won't get activated when you don't want, is good for big and small hands, won't activate on a holster, etc. etc. It is superior in every way, but no one has the testicles to use it. Everyone ran away in with the group think condemnation. So... it is an old trend, and happened years ago, but it is the black death of the gun industry. OK... now I feel better. :cool:

BTW - the prevailing notion is that you have to 'retrain' - it takes 3 mags and its over. Do dry fire drills BEFORE you carry anything else, and its done.

A ****ing men you just won the thread

Todd.K
03-07-23, 00:46
Just because people like to “upgrade” or tinker with everything doesn’t mean the conventional mag release is actually problematic. And don’t pretend that if your paddle was actually widely adopted there wouldn’t be tons of aftermarket “upgrade” versions in all kinds of different shapes and every color of anodizing available.

robbins290
03-07-23, 18:27
It was sad to learn that the gen 5 G23 cannot use gen 3/4 .357 G32 barrels.

Wait? what? The Gen 5 23 can not take gen 3-4 barrels? How come? I planned on getting a 23.5 and use my 40-9 and 357 barrel for it.

m4brian
03-08-23, 06:37
Just because people like to “upgrade” or tinker with everything doesn’t mean the conventional mag release is actually problematic. And don’t pretend that if your paddle was actually widely adopted there wouldn’t be tons of aftermarket “upgrade” versions in all kinds of different shapes and every color of anodizing available.

Americans tinker and that is good for everyone. Much of the tinkering of the button release though is to make it useable or more useable for many folks because of the awkwardness stemming from the design and the millions of different hand sizes. Yes, I'm certain folks would come up with different widths, lengths (HK did), colors and materials - but all unnecessary for use. Just nice to have.

m4brian
03-08-23, 06:38

Americans tinker and that is good for everyone. Much of the tinkering of the button release though is to make it useable or more useable for many folks because of the awkwardness stemming from the design and the millions of different hand sizes. Yes, I'm certain folks would come up with different widths, lengths (HK did), colors and materials - but all unnecessary for use. Just nice to have.

Warp
03-08-23, 06:54

Of course idiots would try to "upgrade" that which is already perfection, just look at the Glocks that malfunction at the range.

But he's right, the paddles are better. The "this is the way we've always done it" is pretty much the only reason we are stuck with the stupid buttons, many of which are not ambi, some of which can't even be switched between left and right I mean come on it took the "all the professionals use it" Glock until Gen 5 to just get a reversible mag button it's still not even ambi just lol what is this the 80's?

inb4 90% of posters here were senior citizens in 1980

Ron3
03-08-23, 08:22
I thought paddles were great, too.

But I kept wondering why the mag kept dropping from my P30sk.

When I examined it closely I found I could accidentally press either paddle accidentally while shooting. Crud. Sold it.

jesuvuah
03-08-23, 13:09
Of course idiots would try to "upgrade" that which is already perfection, just look at the Glocks that malfunction at the range.

But he's right, the paddles are better. The "this is the way we've always done it" is pretty much the only reason we are stuck with the stupid buttons, many of which are not ambi, some of which can't even be switched between left and right I mean come on it took the "all the professionals use it" Glock until Gen 5 to just get a reversible mag button it's still not even ambi just lol what is this the 80's?

inb4 90% of posters here were senior citizens in 1980The gen4 mag button is reversible.

Soli Deo Gloria

Sidneyious
03-08-23, 16:39
The gen4 mag button is reversible.

Soli Deo Gloria
^this^
also
As much as I cant stand the company for what they did untill someone else makes one the RArms MARS is amazing to have.
I much prefer using my index finger to drop a mag.
Ive never had a mag fall out of my g19s from accidentally hitting the button .

Warp
03-08-23, 19:17
I thought paddles were great, too.

But I kept wondering why the mag kept dropping from my P30sk.

When I examined it closely I found I could accidentally press either paddle accidentally while shooting. Crud. Sold it.

I'm sure you could release any magazine while holding the gun, if you couldn't, that's a crappy mag release because it requires moving from your grip to use it.

What the heck were you doing to activate the mag release?

Ron3
03-08-23, 19:58
I'm sure you could release any magazine while holding the gun, if you couldn't, that's a crappy mag release because it requires moving from your grip to use it.

What the heck were you doing to activate the mag release?

If I recall my trigger finger could activate it during recoil from either side.

Warp
03-09-23, 12:20
If I recall my trigger finger could activate it during recoil from either side.

I...can't imagine being able to do that with my HK paddles. That's a new one

RHINOWSO
03-10-23, 07:45
I...can't imagine being able to do that with my HK paddles. That's a new one

Yeah, I never understood the American "BUtDA PAdLES R HaRD tOO USE" argument.

I think buttons are firmly established these days as the preferred setup on a handgun, but some of these 'issue' challenge reality. I mean unless you have fat pork sausage hands...

Ron3
03-10-23, 10:26
My thumb is a little short, so on many guns I need to shift it some to press the button. Or I use my middle finger.

The paddle mag released seemed like the answer. I could drop the mag easily. But then I was dropping it accidentally, too. That's a DQ.

m4brian
03-10-23, 13:56
You have to do something totally screwball in terms of grip to accidently drop a mag with a paddle. Of course people with buttons do it too, and I don't get that. I CAN tell you I can see how folks do it with buttons and a mag release that is a tad large.

Its not that buttons are "too hard" - they are just inferior in design and make it harder. Most of my buttons require me to change my grip and I don't have small hands. It CAN be done, but its just harder and slows you down. They are OK, just inferior.

Ron3
03-16-23, 15:01
You have to do something totally screwball in terms of grip to accidently drop a mag with a paddle. Of course people with buttons do it too, and I don't get that. I CAN tell you I can see how folks do it with buttons and a mag release that is a tad large.

Its not that buttons are "too hard" - they are just inferior in design and make it harder. Most of my buttons require me to change my grip and I don't have small hands. It CAN be done, but its just harder and slows you down. They are OK, just inferior.

What I found was that (I'm RH) my trigger finger tip could press the left lever accidentally and my support hand forefinger (IIRC) could press the right lever.

It doesn't take much of a press to drop the mag and it happened when I was doing drills not just static-firing.

I figured out how it was probably happening later. Had several range trips and maybe 600 rds through the gun. Decided not to continue with it. Couldn't put an optic on it, either.

hoopharted
03-24-23, 06:44
been seeing a bunch of cheap .44 mag snubby wrist breaker videos on YT lately , and cant help to ask "why" ? i owned one .44 mag in my life , purchased in 1985 and was a sidearm while i worked in the bush of Alaska (along with a Yugo M70 UF AK) , it was a Ruger BH i believe it was a 6.5 , sold in the mid 90's , even as a young man in my early 20's i wasnt a fan , but it was Kodiak Grizzly country and they would come into camp at night and it was night 18 hours a day in the winter

when Glock came out with the G20 i started comparing ballistics between 10mm auto , .357 mag and .44 mag , and the proof is in the pudding , the 10mm auto slightly edges out the .357 in velocity but a .357 tends to not expand , thats where the 10mm auto really leaps past it carries muzzle velocity of 9mm with impact of a .45 but much more manageable felt recoil and muzzle flip than both .357 and 44 mags meaning you can deliver almost twice the on target shots than either , te 10mm auto does not have the energy of the .44 mag but its proven you can get 2 follow ups to 1 with 10mm auto and much more accurate , add the expanded capacity its a no brainer

if they had the 10mm auto available back then i wouldnt have carried a .44 mag , i have a blast with filling milk jugs with water and especially laundry soap jugs shaking them up to get them all sudsy inside and breaking out the G20

m4brian
03-24-23, 12:10
but other than NOT adapting paddles, THE most annoying trend HAS to be the names vice model numbers. Its so revolting, and SA is the worlds worst.

yoni
03-26-23, 06:12
The trend I just can't stand is for smaller and smaller pistols. Easier to carry, than what?

My 6inch barreled 357sig Hyena, is easy to carry. IWB and it just disappears . The little brother the jackal aka Glock 32, with the grip reshaped fits in my jacket pocket on my left chest.

I have a project on the horizon, that if it goes, I will be looking at putting together a .357 sig/9mm pistol package for my lads. I hope to have funding in place by the fall for the overall project and then will move ahead on the pistols.

Sidneyious
03-26-23, 21:09
heres one that is starting to bug me.

People going on and on about not a glock but takes glock parts and they say its better than a glock brand glock.

You are literally trying to reinvent the gen 3 glock, that was released what 20 ****ing years ago?
Then proceed to say its better than a glock brand glock.
In what way? I dont trust their reliability when its all based on the 80% glock frame. We know how that usually works.

26 Inf
03-26-23, 23:58

People going on and on about not a glock but takes glock parts and they say its better than a glock brand glock.

You are literally trying to reinvent the gen 3 glock, that was released what 20 ****ing years ago?
In what way? I dont trust their reliability when its all based on the 80% glock frame. We know how that usually works.

I recently bought one of these from PSA because it was only $299.99:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/lone-wolf-arms-9mm-pistol-4-14rd-lwdltd2-9.html

Its frame is this one from Lone Wolf:

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-u6rb2tt5h8/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/5465/9815/9815__18241.1667847504.jpg?c=1

Note the backstrap, feels like a G17 with a grip reduction. The frame uses all Gen 3 parts except for a Gen 4 trigger housing.

I removed the mag well because it wasn't comfortable and put on Dawson fiber optic sights. So far just shy of 400 rounds through it. It is accurate and reliable. I like it enough that I'm going to clean it, function test 3 mags with my 124 HST carry loads and replace the G17 I'm currently carrying in my console vault.

Todd.K
03-27-23, 00:17
There are many complete G pattern frames available, not just the 80% one. Including both Gen4 and Gen5 options.

I bet we even see different magazine frames soon, to further the grip improvements.

JediGuy
03-28-23, 19:02
Glocks are an obvious opportunity to improve on what is essentially the Honda Fit, Civic, and Accord of the gun world. And I love Hondas. But they are “just a car” that always runs. They can be fun, but it takes some work and aftermarket parts to get them there.

yoni
03-29-23, 07:11

My Grey Ghost Precision frames have been great 100% reliable as have all the other parts in my improved Glocks.

The only thing I hate about my GGP frame is it has a full rail on the frame for a light and it has eliminated some of my favorite holsters from use.

Ron3
03-29-23, 08:30

Probably because they have a nicer grip, maybe nicer trigger, better optic mount system, and don't throw casings in their face.

I only own one Glock and no clones, but this is what I see.

Sidneyious
03-29-23, 16:43
Probably because they have a nicer grip, maybe nicer trigger, better optic mount system, and don't throw casings in their face.

I only own one Glock and no clones, but this is what I see.Grip eh sure why not.
Trigger maybe a - connector should be standard

And the case thing I don't get because I have 3 Glocks that don't do that.

26 Inf
03-29-23, 23:49
And the case thing I don't get because I have 3 Glocks that don't do that.

You probably grip the pistol correctly.

Ny son was given a Beretta Nano because his buddy's wife didn't like it and was having issues with it. My son shot it and had FTFeeds. He gave it to me and I shot it. Worked fine. To humor him I went on the internet and read up on the Nano's quirks. I went through the pistol and took it to the range with 115gr white box, 115gr Blazer FMJ, 115gr PMC FMJ, 124gr ARMSCOR, 124gr HST, and my 124gr jhp reloads. Worked fine. Not so fine for him.

Grip. Gotta grip the pistol.

Ron3
03-30-23, 08:46
You probably grip the pistol correctly.

Ny son was given a Beretta Nano because his buddy's wife didn't like it and was having issues with it. My son shot it and had FTFeeds. He gave it to me and I shot it. Worked fine. To humor him I went on the internet and read up on the Nano's quirks. I went through the pistol and took it to the range with 115gr white box, 115gr Blazer FMJ, 115gr PMC FMJ, 124gr ARMSCOR, 124gr HST, and my 124gr jhp reloads. Worked fine. Not so fine for him.

Grip. Gotta grip the pistol.

Grip can cause BTF.

Many Glocks BTF despite the grip because they fail to control the fired case. This has been known a couple generations now.