PDA

View Full Version : When someone says they are "Assyrian"?

Ron3
02-04-23, 10:59
I thought Assyria was a mostly pre-Christian civilization in the Levant region.

So when a person today describes themselves as "Assyrian", are they really just Syrian?

02-04-23, 11:36
Well around Detroit the ones that claim Assyrian are Chaldean and Armenian and are usually gangsters or wannabe gangsters

JediGuy
02-04-23, 11:40
Assyrians are an ethnic, rather than national people group in Syria, Iraq, etc.

Co-gnARR
02-04-23, 12:48
I thought it meant some one who was a WW2 bombardier.

Whalstib
02-04-23, 12:52
I thought it meant some one who was a WW2 bombardier.

I see what you did there!

;D

BoringGuy45
02-04-23, 13:12
Assyrians these days are an ethnic group in Iraq that is mostly Christian. I know one Assyrian guy. He's a very good dude.

Ron3
02-04-23, 13:22
I see.

Thanks!

02-04-23, 14:11
I thought Assyria was a mostly pre-Christian civilization in the Levant region.

So when a person today describes themselves as "Assyrian", are they really just Syrian?

I would assume they mean to burn my cities and raze them, after flaying the mayors, burning or impaling most of the men, and taking hostages. Does this guy wear a funny helmet and carry a bronze sword? If his name is Assurnarsipal, steer clear. He’ll pluck out your eyes.

Todd.K
02-04-23, 16:38
Assyrians are an ethnic, rather than national people group in Syria, Iraq, etc.

This. But I’m not sure if it’s really considered correct or precise.

None of the Chaldeans I know identify as Assyrian.

C-grunt
02-04-23, 20:19
I have a coworker/friend who says he is Assyrian. He is a Christian whose family immigrated to the US from Iraq in the early 1990s.

I remember when we first took over Baghdad in 2003 we would do foot patrols through the city. There was actually a fairly large section of Christians in the southwestern side of Baghdad.

chadbag
02-08-23, 11:16
Just read this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assyrian_people

It describes it pretty well. I ran across it in the last year on one of my Wikipedia dives... (Start a topic and then go from suggest link to suggest link where they show other related stuff at the bottom of the page -- good mealtime [when SO is not around] and bathroom past time).