- properly staked gas key and castle nut
- Magpul trigger guard
- O-ring on extractor
- quad rail
- VFG
- Surefire G2 w/ mount
- CAA stock saddle
- Vickers 2-point sling

What should I do next? I've got some Christmas money, so I'm thinking some sort of RDS or magnified optic. My funds, as they stand, are around $400. Suggestions?

Iraqgunz
12-27-08, 14:03
You may want to consider upgrading your buffer tube (lower receiver extension) as well. I would be more concerned about the proper extractor spring and insert rather than the O-ring.

Is the CAA stock saddle necessary? If not spend it something else. As for an optic goes I would stay away from EOTech and look at an Aimpoint.

I've got a BM Patrol Carbine that I've been in the process of upgrading:

- properly staked gas key and castle nut
- Magpul trigger guard
- O-ring on extractor
- quad rail
- VFG
- Surefire G2 w/ mount
- CAA stock saddle
- Vickers 2-point sling

What should I do next? I've got some Christmas money, so I'm thinking some sort of RDS or magnified optic. My funds, as they stand, are around $400. Suggestions?

Outlander Systems
12-27-08, 14:10
What type of irons you got on there?

I'd recommend some quality irons before diving into the RDS.

This is within your budget, should the seduction of speedy shootin' be too enticing: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=ML2

Iraqgunz
12-27-08, 14:32
I assumed that he had a detachable carry handle on his weapon.

This is within your budget, should the seduction of speedy shootin' be too enticing: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=ML2

Rider79
12-27-08, 19:53
maybe an LMT M16 BCG? they go for $130

Outlander Systems
12-27-08, 20:05
maybe an LMT M16 BCG? they go for $130

+1 to that!

kukang
12-27-08, 23:43
You may want to consider upgrading your buffer tube (lower receiver extension) as well. I would be more concerned about the proper extractor spring and insert rather than the O-ring.

Is the CAA stock saddle necessary? If not spend it something else. As for an optic goes I would stay away from EOTech and look at an Aimpoint.

Is EOTech that bad?

Iraqgunz
12-28-08, 02:24
Without beating a dead horse they have enough issues as far as I am concerned. Check the optics/ sights thread and search for EOTech.

Is EOTech that bad?

Eric
12-28-08, 22:01
Before you start spending additional funds on parts that probably don't need replacing, you might want to consider ammo, mags and a class (if you haven't been). If you're set on an optic, for $400 you could get a new EOTech 512 or a new Aimpoint C3 (which will also require a mount). Another option is to pick up a used Aimpoint CompML2 or ML3 with a mount, which should be close to your budget.

jacketch
12-29-08, 15:17
Before you start spending additional funds on parts that probably don't need replacing, you might want to consider ammo, mags and a class (if you haven't been). If you're set on an optic, for $400 you could get a new EOTech 512 or a new Aimpoint C3 (which will also require a mount). Another option is to pick up a used Aimpoint CompML2 or ML3 with a mount, which should be close to your budget.

One added benefit of taking a class, besides learning required carbine skills, you would have a much better idea of what you want/need to set up your carbine than asking on a gun board.

Also thumbs up on the used ML2 or ML3 for an inexpensive optic.

citizensoldier16
12-30-08, 01:27

I've got a fixed FSB and a flat top sporting the Troy BUIS, zeroed at 50m per the chart I found on here somewhere awhile ago.

As for classes, I'm a backup SRT medic, so I got the opportunity to train with the local PD as well as SHP on some CQB drills. Having done this, I realized the necessity of a RDS - especially after going through with irons. The Aimpoint ML2 is very nice, but I'd like to find one used for a little less green, especially since I'll need a mount. I've been checking the member sales forum regularly, but haven't seen much. Looks like most guys are holding onto their RDS for now, but I'll keep looking.

Ammo and mags are the two things I've got plenty of. 25 mags and approx 2000 rounds sitting in my garage.

My rifle is not a duty rifle, as SRT medics do not carry firearms...but I'd like it as a home-defense and go-to weapon for SHTF use. Thanks for the replies, and I'll keep checking back to see what other ideas everybody has.

PS- as for the CAA saddle, it's probably the best $25 I've spent on that rifle in terms of usability and speed for getting a good sight picture fast. I bought it early on, and at the time, decided not to spend the $$ for a high-dollar stock with an integrated saddle.

Rider79
12-30-08, 02:56
The Aimpoint ML2 is very nice, but I'd like to find one used for a little less green, especially since I'll need a mount. I've been checking the member sales forum regularly, but haven't seen much. Looks like most guys are holding onto their RDS for now, but I'll keep looking.

I have 2 Aimpoint M2's for sale with mounts, one's listed in the member sales forum. PM me for more info.

kukang
12-30-08, 03:56
PS- as for the CAA saddle, it's probably the best $25 I've spent on that rifle in terms of usability and speed for getting a good sight picture fast. I bought it early on, and at the time, decided not to spend the $$ for a high-dollar stock with an integrated saddle.

+1 on that........