PDA

View Full Version : Gen 5 Striker Spring

02-05-23, 15:55
Anybody roach a Gen 5 G19 striker spring yet? Approximate round count?

I’m getting some light strikes with Ginex primers, hand-seated, so I know they’re seated right. They don’t fire on a second or third strike, and the dents look pretty small. My Gen 4 with extra strength striker spring has zero problems with this ammo.

I’m not sure how many rounds are on this gun. I asked a buddy that I split ammo/components with and he said “a lot”, but I don’t feel like it has been that much.

L-2
02-05-23, 16:14
Glock firing pin spring #63 is the same firing pin spring for all Glock models and Gens:
https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/SP00063

I suppose its possible there's a chance that one specific spring may not last as long as another given the same round count.
Also, I've no idea how other brands of springs might compare to Glock OEM.

If there's any doubt regarding a specific Glock's spring, grab a new spring; compare the new spring's length to the used spring just for reference; take a pic of the length difference; then replace the spring anyway with the new spring and determine if the primers will now ignite.

OTHER.
Also, still be wary of one's own loading capabilities and wonder if a batch of primers have somehow changed vs. an older lot/batch; i.e., suspect any/all possibilities.

Sidneyious
02-05-23, 16:39
is the striker still in spec?

ssc
02-05-23, 17:44
My thoughts:
1. Clean pistol with emphasis on firing pin channel. Be sure it is clean and dry.
2. Inspect striker assembly. Replace the spring with a new stock glock spring. Inspect striker and tip for damage. Measure OAL for OOS length. If cups have lots of brass shavings, replace the cups.
3. If any non stock parts are in the gun remove and replace with stock, glock parts. Replace RSA.
4. Once the baseline is done, shoot factory ammo. If no issues, try reloads. If still having issues, my bet is that the reloads are the issue. Check depth of primers.

Cheers, Steve

Ron3
02-05-23, 19:45
It seems this is happening more with Gen 5 Glocks.

They've come full circle.

Inspect firing pin for damage.

Replace striker spring.

Clean firing pin channel. Leave it dry.

signal4l
02-05-23, 19:55
I use the wolff extra power striker spring in all my Glocks. It's only 1/2 pound heavier than factory. Doesn't seem to change trigger pull much at all. I was getting light strikes on a batch of reloads. Problem solved

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/action-parts/firing-pin-parts/firing-pin-springs/extra-power-striker-spring-for-glock--prod55142.aspx

ST911
02-05-23, 20:56
Anybody roach a Gen 5 G19 striker spring yet? Approximate round count?

I’m getting some light strikes with Ginex primers, hand-seated, so I know they’re seated right. They don’t fire on a second or third strike, and the dents look pretty small. My Gen 4 with extra strength striker spring has zero problems with this ammo.

I’m not sure how many rounds are on this gun. I asked a buddy that I split ammo/components with and he said “a lot”, but I don’t feel like it has been that much.

Firing pin spring is the same across models, nothing special about its wear or operation on gen5.
Very low on the list of suspect variables in light strikes unless primers are known to be harder than normal (BR, etc).
FP springs go tens of thousands of rounds.
FP spring problems are usually "improvements" or ".25 trigger jobs."
Look at debris in the channel, FP tip wear, slide peening at the FP hole in the breechface.
What's the gun do with factory ammo and/or other primers?

Straight Shooter
02-06-23, 03:20
Firing pin spring is the same across models, nothing special about its wear or operation on gen5.
Very low on the list of suspect variables in light strikes unless primers are known to be harder than normal (BR, etc).
FP springs go tens of thousands of rounds.
FP spring problems are usually "improvements" or ".25 trigger jobs."
Look at debris in the channel, FP tip wear, slide peening at the FP hole in the breechface.
What's the gun do with factory ammo and/or other primers?

Not doubting, just trying to learn- how would a .25 cent trigger job affect the FP Spring? Very curious.

ST911
02-06-23, 07:22
Not doubting, just trying to learn- how would a .25 cent trigger job affect the FP Spring? Very curious.

It's a generic term, some variations include snipping coils from the FP spring.

More a way to punctuate the false economy of WECSOG. I've fixed a lot of .25 trigger jobs.

02-06-23, 09:16
I use the wolff extra power striker spring in all my Glocks. It's only 1/2 pound heavier than factory. Doesn't seem to change trigger pull much at all.
This is what solved the problem with this guns Gen 4 predecessor with Bosnian primers. I was reluctant to use an aftermarket spring, but I was having trouble finding a stock one at the time.

All,
Thanks for the replies so far. No part of the trigger system has been modified or even disassembled. It does have a PMM barrel and comp, an optic (its a MOS), and a light.

I will:

1) shoot some factory ammo.
2) clean it
3) order a new factory spring and measure it
4) measure the striker. How do I go about that?

02-06-23, 09:24
It seems this is happening more with Gen 5 Glocks.

They've come full circle.

I wouldn’t necessarily blame the gun. When I say I don’t think its been shot that much, we’re still talking about several thousand rounds, and I’m using Bosnian primers. I’ve been told that Euro market Glocks use a much stronger striker spring for this reason.

02-06-23, 10:37
In reality Gen5 striker and recoil springs should last as long as one would likely own the gun.

I have some with ~15K and they still check out good.

02-06-23, 10:50
In reality Gen5 striker and recoil springs should last as long as one would likely own the gun.

I have some with ~15K and they still check out good.

I agree. ST911 shared some info with me that leads me to believe my spring is fine. My previous high-mileage guns are/were other generations, and I didn’t know the spring hasn’t changed. I’ve had to replace Gen 4 springs, but it wasn’t close to this early.

I think my problem is ammo or filth, and I’m leaning toward the former.

02-07-23, 12:35
Glock firing pin spring #63 is the same firing pin spring for all Glock models and Gens:
https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/SP00063
They were out of stock at this link. I ordered one from Midway. Primary Arms also has them.

is the striker still in spec?
How do I measure this?

I use the wolff extra power striker spring in all my Glocks. It's only 1/2 pound heavier than factory. Doesn't seem to change trigger pull much at all. I was getting light strikes on a batch of reloads. Problem solved

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/action-parts/firing-pin-parts/firing-pin-springs/extra-power-striker-spring-for-glock--prod55142.aspx

If cleaning the channel and replacing the factory spring does not solve the problem, I’ll put one of these in it.

ssc
02-07-23, 14:13
Bottom line, as I see it: You bought or acquired a used gun. You do not know its history. You have a few issues. First step is to baseline the gun. New striker spring and RAS. You might not need them but it removes variables to troubleshoot. I also would change the cups. You mic the striker to be sure it is in spec. I don't remember the spec for the OAL, but google it. Be sure the tip is in good shape. Use only glock parts.

Detail strip the gun. Clean and inspect all parts. Be sure the striker channel is clean and dry. Inspect liner for burrs. Inspect extractor for chips. Proper lube, reassemble and try factory ammo. If no issues, try reloads. If issues with reloads, I suspect it is the reloads.

As an example, my son acquired a used 17. He got it from another officer and wanted to go 10-8 with it. He took it to the range and the thing had multiple issues. He brought it to me and we did a baseline. I found a number of non glock parts and altered parts. I replaced numerous items including the striker. Someone had put it on a polishing wheel and was highly aggressive. They had taken way too much material off of the lug. Afterwards, all was good and it is his duty gun after he qualed with it.

Cheers, Steve

02-07-23, 14:45
Bottom line, as I see it: You bought or acquired a used gun. You do not know its history. I appreciate the advice, but this gun was bought new via Blue Label and has all-original trigger and striker related parts.

L-2
02-07-23, 17:15
The OP's Gen4 has an extra-strength firing pin spring. Just swap the firing pin springs for now for an immediate determination if a new spring solves the problem.

As bad firing pin springs are possible, I'd still also be looking to test with factory ammo instead on one's reloads. So many folks just can't believe their reloads can be a problem, whether it's an individual component (brass, primer) or the person's reloading technique or methods.

02-07-23, 18:09
The OP's Gen4 has an extra-strength firing pin spring. Just swap the firing pin springs for now for an immediate determination if a new spring solves the problem.

As bad firing pin springs are possible, I'd still also be looking to test with factory ammo instead on one's reloads. So many folks just can't believe their reloads can be a problem, whether it's an individual component (brass, primer) or the person's reloading technique or methods.

I’m on the opposite of that spectrum. I do think my ammo is suspect. The reason I’ve been hand-priming them is to eliminate seating problems on a progressive as a source of the problem. My Gen 4 does eat them up with its +0.5lb spring.

02-08-23, 17:52
Follow up. Its the primers.

I shot 250 rounds today. I’ve not cleaned, replaced, or modified anything.

50 Federal Syntech (non tox primers)
50 Blazer Brass
100 Fiocchi Training Dynamics
50 reloads with CCI 500s

She ate. I’m still going to clean it, and report back on FP and FP spring measurements when the spring gets here, and I’ll probably swap in a Wolf +0.5lb to light these primers more consistently.

Update edit:
I took it apart, cleaned it, replaced the spring. It was dirty. Old spring was .137” shorter than new spring. Both are factory. I don’t have a tool to measure Glock striker protrusion, but it looks more than adequate, eyeballing it in comparison to an AR bolt with a gauged firing pin.

03-07-23, 13:34
The new factory striker spring helped, but did not completely solve the problem. 1/100 ftf. The Wolff +0.5lb striker spring seems to be the solution.

Ron3
03-07-23, 13:49
You might want to stick with standard Federal primers for defense ammo in that gun. Or sell it.

03-07-23, 13:54
You might want to stick with standard Federal primers for defense ammo in that gun. Or sell it.

Huh??

Ron3
03-07-23, 14:26
Huh??

Federal primers are more sensitive than others, increasing reliability.

03-07-23, 14:30
Federal primers are more sensitive than others, increasing reliability.

Perhaps, but I had a problem with one specific Bosnian primer type, that has since been fixed with a heavier spring. With an old stock spring, it would ignite any US primer, and some foreign ones. Its a range gun shooting cheap ammo.

Ron3
03-07-23, 20:04
Perhaps, but I had a problem with one specific Bosnian primer type, that has been fixed with a heavier spring. With a stock spring, it would ignite any US primer, and some foreign ones. Its a range gun shooting cheap ammo.

Ah. Good.