PDA

View Full Version : California Laws

OH58D
12-27-08, 14:21
My son and his wife are both Air Force Security Officers and are being tranferred to Travis AFB at Fairfield, California. My son's gun collection includes a Colt Government Carbine of 1993 manufacture. Can he bring this to California? I am not familiar with California laws regarding "Assault Weapons".

OH58D

1859sharps
12-27-08, 15:37
I believe there is away for them to bring their rifles legally into California. I know there has been treads about this on http://www.calguns.net/

If there is, the devil will be in the details and they will need to make sure all the I's are dotted and the T's crossed to stay legal. California gun laws are confusing to say the least, so be prepared.

here is the Cal DOJ site for firearms as well. nothing in their FAQ though, you will have to dig a bit deeper.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/

NoBody
12-27-08, 15:42
Deleted.

Iraqgunz
12-27-08, 15:55
OH58D,

Technically they cannot bring it into the state because it is an "assault rifle". I believe that there may be some exemptions for military personnel like Nobody mentioned, but personally I would exercise any other option first.

Iraqgunz
12-27-08, 15:58
I found this info on the errornet. Maybe it will help.

Obtaining an Assault Weapons Permit for Active Duty Military Personnel.

Any person on active military duty with current, valid permanent change of station orders for duty in the State of California may apply for a DOJ Assault Weapon Permit for personal possession and or transportation of personally owned assualt weapons(s).

Does not apply for those under the age of 18.

Requirements:

Completed Application for Assault Weapon Permit for Military Personnel

$73 fee (postal money order)

Two complete ten-print fingerprint cards (your security unit can often do these)

A copy of your PCS orders

The application has the following information:

Applicant's military rank

Full name

Mailing Address

Physical residential address (if different)

Telephone number

Branch of service

Name and address of military base or unit assignment

Military ID number

Make, model, and serial number of each assualt weapon to be permitted

Applicant's signature

They called me within about four days of mailing and said that they were processing my permit. They left a message "the Department of Justice's Firearm Division would like to talk to you." - just what you want to hear on your answering machine!

It took about two weeks total to receive my permit. You can fill out a second sheet of paper if you have more weapons than the four spaces given on the permit.

Permits are valid for one year from issue or until the member terminates PCS orders in California, which ever comes first. Renewals are required each year and are free. They send a letter in the mail reminding you.

Department of Justice
Firearms Division
PO Box 820200
Sacramento, CA 94203-0200

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-27-08, 23:24
For the love of Pete, whatever you do, keep the guns out of the hands of the guys in the Air Force!!! Sweet mother of all things unholy, can we trade California, for say Alcapulco, with Mexico.

Thanks for defending our country, even when California won't let you defend yourself.

1859sharps
12-28-08, 00:02
can I leave before you trade?

ChrisG
12-28-08, 06:54
I'm in a similar situation and am in the process of submitting my AW permit application. The info Iraqgunz posted is correct. E-mail Yolanda Garcia at yolanda.garcia@doj.ca.gov and she will send an application and answer all their questions. She's very friendly and helpful.

drummerdude1188
12-28-08, 17:08
Looks like all the info has been covered here but in case it hasn't check here, http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=138715

CMFG
12-28-08, 21:34
Hmm... I know what I did for the three years I was stationed at Moffett Field near San Jose...

Probably better that they just leave them with you, or someone else they trust.