PDA

View Full Version : Japan About to go big on Mil and change regional dynamics

WillBrink
02-10-23, 17:54
Good vid here for a channel I follow. Japan will be a major mil power in the region, and part of the plan to contain China. Understandable why their neighbors are not a fan of the idea considering their historical record in the region:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx5CckLSjLM

SteyrAUG
02-10-23, 18:13
Historically China used to be a different country too.

Japan probably does need to step up.

WillBrink
02-10-23, 18:23

It appears that's what they're doing, I assume with the blessings of the US as Japan will help to contain China and Japan also can't afford to have Taiwan taken for reasons discussed in the vid.

utahjeepr
02-10-23, 18:31
As I recall Japan has some rather strenuous Constitutional limitations on their military. Wonder how they are gonna play this out? Not bagging, just curious.

Johnny Rico
02-10-23, 18:40
They'd be foolish not to.

Given my own ethnic background, I'm wary of a re-militarization of Japan. Realistically though, Japan's neighbors don't really need to worry unless and until Japan undertakes a major shipbuilding campaign and tries to resurrect the IJN.

flenna
02-10-23, 20:04
I am sure Japan realizes that they cannot rely on the US to counter China in the region or anywhere else for that matter. At least not while the current corrupt administration is running this country.

pag23
02-10-23, 20:07

Given my own ethnic background, I'm wary of a re-militarization of Japan. Realistically though, Japan's neighbors don't really need to worry unless and until Japan undertakes a major shipbuilding campaign and tries to resurrect the IJN.

Raise the Yamato!

ABNAK
02-10-23, 22:29

I also think that the "Bushido" mentality is lacking in modern day Japan, kind of like the grit of our WWII vets isn't necessarily prevalent in our society anymore. In general society has grown "softer" as decades pass, and I think that the ChiComs would do well to remember that their population now isn't the one that charged in human wave attacks in sub-zero temperatures in Korea.

The world itself, for better or worse, has changed since the 1940's or 1950's.

ThirdWatcher
02-11-23, 06:48

I agree. The paradigm has shifted...

markm
02-11-23, 07:52
Rigged elections in the US have massive consequences. If we had strong leadership, these lunatics around the world wouldn't be edging towards/engaging in attacks of other countries. Slap the shit out of a retard liberal today.

ABNAK
02-11-23, 08:12
Rigged elections in the US have massive consequences. If we had strong leadership, these lunatics around the world wouldn't be edging towards/engaging in attacks of other countries. Slap the shit out of a retard liberal today.

Yep and also don't forget the inner-city scum poll workers in places like Phoenix, Philadelphia, Detroit, Milwaukee, Atlanta, etc. Oh, and their handlers too. :mad:

jsbhike
02-11-23, 09:37

Really goes back to WWII when Chinese communists were allowed to run indoctrination clinics instead of dragging them in to efforts to expel the Imperial Japanese Army.

I wouldn't rule out rigged elections back then either though.

pinzgauer
02-11-23, 12:52
Before too long we'll have the same players on m4c posting about how the US triggered Chinese aggression by encouraging Japan to arm up.

When there was no need for us to encourage Japan or Taiwan to arm up, they have been on the receiving end of increasing Chinese heavy-handed aggressive military overflights, naval actions, and similar for a couple of decades.

China is claiming international waters as their own and building new islands in an attempt to increase their coastal territorial boundaries.

Which then forces everyone else to assert right of passage with military ships so that it is not yielded by default.

It would be like the US claiming territorial waters enclosed by a line drawn from the very N Eastern tip of Maine to key largo.

There are very specific laws of the Sea and treatments for things like bays. There's also very specific international law on straits and the right of free passage. Bering sea straight being a prime example.

WillBrink
02-11-23, 13:30
Before too long we'll have the same players on m4c posting about how the US triggered Chinese aggression by encouraging Japan to arm up.

When there was no need for us to encourage Japan or Taiwan to arm up, they have been on the receiving end of increasing Chinese heavy-handed aggressive military overflights, naval actions, and similar for a couple of decades.

China is claiming international waters as their own and building new islands in an attempt to increase their coastal territorial boundaries.

Which then forces everyone else to assert right of passage with military ships so that it is not yielded by default.

It would be like the US claiming territorial waters enclosed by a line drawn from the very N Eastern tip of Maine to key largo.

There are very specific laws of the Sea and treatments for things like bays. There's also very specific international law on straits and the right of free passage. Bering sea straight being a prime example.

My response to that for those who will make such claims, so what? Perhaps even partially accurate. Sure, two powers that are focused on spreading/maintaining influence and related are going to bump up against each others conflicting national agendas. Some times that leads to war, some times it does not. Welcome to Geo-poltics. Pick a side, and if your smart, you will pick the US/west.

Just like Russia, China does not appreciate the US efforts to contain their wish to expand their influence. Tough chit would be my response.

Meanwhile, make no mistake, the Chinese are doing an excellent job of out maneuvering us and in our own back yard, to which most 'Muricans, blissfully unawares. An excellent summary;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iunpSxQ436k

MistWolf
02-11-23, 14:02
Raise the Yamato!

https://youtu.be/ZVWy3q08XuM

MistWolf
02-11-23, 14:02
and fire the Wave Motion Gun!

https://youtu.be/ia8EOo4Z5Dc

Inkslinger
02-11-23, 14:55
and fire the Wave Motion Gun!

https://youtu.be/ia8EOo4Z5Dc

The original is where it’s at.

https://youtu.be/ty-1zWsXFNs

chuckman
02-11-23, 15:52
Good for them, and good for us. They're a solid partner in the WESTPAC, and they can shoulder some of the burden. It's nothing else it gives China a wrinkle in which to be concerned.

pag23
02-11-23, 20:44
The original is where it’s at.

https://youtu.be/ty-1zWsXFNs

Awesome show to watch when growing up