PDA

View Full Version : Border Patrol operating up to 100 miles from US borders, attacking citizens.

WillBrink
02-14-23, 08:05
I have posted on this topic before, but it's only getting worse apparently. It infuriates me the border patrol can operate 100 miles from the borders and don't appear beholden to the laws other agencies are, stating "I don't need reasonable suspicion."

Border security, while a legit issue, is another issue being used to chip away at Const. under the guise "It's for your own good." I have a lot of empathy for those working on the border, often with one hand tied behind their backs, but I have nothing for an org run amok with power, detaining, attacking, etc US citizens up to 100 miles from the borders!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnicMKKSReY

Averageman
02-14-23, 08:44
I guess I'm a bit used to it. I grew up in this area.
I show my ID and they walk their dog around my truck. All on I-10 about 100 miles from El Paso.
I would imagine it's about 25% effective for finding aliens and about 75% is finding loads of dope. It's stupid, but yes if they send 20 loads and 19 make it through it's a "win" for the bad guys.
I've went through them a couple hundred times, I show my ID and drive right through.

ChattanoogaPhil
02-14-23, 09:27
About 20 years ago I was stopped at a check point on I10 outside of EL Paso. The guy asking if I was an American citizen could barely speak English.

Pacific5th
02-14-23, 09:29
I see them at the Amtrak Depot in Spokane all the time. Even when they have us freight crews ride as a passenger I have never seen them harass anyone. I also see them on the roads around Whitefish MT.

WillBrink
02-14-23, 09:33
I show my ID and they walk their dog around my truck. All on I-10 about 100 miles from El Paso.
I would imagine it's about 25% effective for finding aliens and about 75% is finding loads of dope. It's stupid, but yes if they send 20 loads and 19 make it through it's a "win" for the bad guys.
I've went through them a couple hundred times, I show my ID and drive right through.

As the gubment estimates it only prevents 10% of what's smuggled in for drugs, so probably far lower, the war on drugs lost a long time ago by any metric, I will add that's the poster child for:

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

About 20 years ago I was stopped at a check point on I10 outside of EL Paso. The guy asking if I was an American citizen could barely speak English.

Majority of border patrol agents are Latino I believe.

Artos
02-14-23, 09:39
I wouldn't know anything different as it's always been this way living down here...when I was in the oil patch, I would hit them multiple times a day.

I'm sure the ranchers would love to get rid of them...that way, the getaways would just merrily drive north vs traversing on foot through the prickers.

Hank6046
02-14-23, 09:40
I see them at the Amtrak Depot in Spokane all the time. Even when they have us freight crews ride as a passenger I have never seen them harass anyone. I also see them on the roads around Whitefish MT.

Agreed, on the Northern boarder I've seen them around Warroad Mn last may, I always suspected they were intercepting the meth going up to Canada and the heroin coming down.

.45fan
02-14-23, 09:47
Its been this way in Michigan for many years.

Averageman
02-14-23, 10:24
I wouldn't know anything different as it's always been this way living down here...when I was in the oil patch, I would hit them multiple times a day.

I'm sure the ranchers would love to get rid of them...that way, the getaways would just merrily steal your truck and drive north vs traversing on foot through the prickers.

Fixed it for you.
Things began changing in the mid 70's. You could no longer not lock up everything. Couldn't leave a gun in the barn, couldn't leave hand tools like shovels about either.
I hate a thief.
Funny note;
My Sister thought coyotes were stealing her Chickens. Nope Wetbacks...

Artos
02-14-23, 10:39
I've been hunting the same 7000 acre ranch for the past 19 years & we've never had any issues with wets & our south gate is only 5 miles from the river...It's those ranches around the 60 mile check points that get the brunt of the thuggery.

tn1911
02-14-23, 13:44

Same thing happened to me near Gulfport MS, we were thru one of those check points and the fellow I dealt with spoke pretty bad english and was clearly not from this country. The interaction was so disgusting I’ll never forget his name tag... Marroquin which I’ve come to understand is mostly from Guatemala...

teufelhund1918
02-14-23, 14:28
Kinda the same issue with getting stopped at these DUI checkpoints. They are used mostly to get out of date stickers and driver's licenses here in VA. Totally un-Constitutioal IMHO. A good cop can spot a drunk driver in a minute on the road without having a checkpoint.

Hank6046
02-14-23, 14:42
Kinda the same issue with getting stopped at these DUI checkpoints. They are used mostly to get out of date stickers and driver's licenses here in VA. Totally un-Constitutioal IMHO. A good cop can spot a drunk driver in a minute on the road without having a checkpoint.

I think every state sorta does this. When I was stationed in San Diego, I remember being pulled over a few times for coming from my then girlfriends house, I had Minnesota plates and they would pull me over tell me I was going 75, when the speed of traffic was 80, and then try and see if I was also at fault for not changing over to a California resident, which didn't apply as I maintained a barracks room. It never amounted to anything but piss off my Gunny because I wasn't 15 prior to the 15 prior. Even now where I am in Wisconsin, during the summers I am much more willing to bet that WI State Patrol looks at all the Chicago (FIBs) going up to the lake resorts/ cabins then they are a regular Wisconsin plate.

utahjeepr
02-14-23, 16:37
What's funny/sad is you literally see folks walking off in the distance around the check stations while you are in the lineup. They come down to the highway just past the checkpoints.

nick84
02-14-23, 16:58
I think every state sorta does this. When I was stationed in San Diego, I remember being pulled over a few times for coming from my then girlfriends house, I had Minnesota plates and they would pull me over tell me I was going 75, when the speed of traffic was 80, and then try and see if I was also at fault for not changing over to a California resident, which didn't apply as I maintained a barracks room. It never amounted to anything but piss off my Gunny because I wasn't 15 prior to the 15 prior. Even now where I am in Wisconsin, during the summers I am much more willing to bet that WI State Patrol looks at all the Chicago (FIBs) going up to the lake resorts/ cabins then they are a regular Wisconsin plate.

That made me chuckle. :)

SilverBullet432
02-14-23, 21:31

Its not too bad around Sierra Blanca. Marfa is okay, the one near Alpine is a bit sketch since its all on its lonesome.

I'm sure the ranchers would love to get rid of them...that way, the getaways would just merrily drive north vs traversing on foot through the prickers.

That checkpoint between Eagle Pass and Carrizo ain’t bad. I used to do some work in the Chittim Ranch, the first time I went through there, they asked me who I worked for and just about waved me through from then on, and I’m brown by the way haha.

I've been hunting the same 7000 acre ranch for the past 19 years & we've never had any issues with wets & our south gate is only 5 miles from the river...It's those ranches around the 60 mile check points that get the brunt of the thuggery.

Yup.. The dudes working the CP north of Del Rio aren’t the friendliest bunch. Then again, I can’t blame them.

02-15-23, 07:51
I read about this about 10 years ago. The author stated that because the border includes ocean, a huge percentage of people are within this 100 mile zone, and that BP should be reeled in. I’ve only personally encountered them once, within earshot of Mexico in Arizona.

Jellybean
02-15-23, 10:23
Well.... when you don't have a border, the entire nation becomes the border.