PDA

View Full Version : Biden administration set to propose largest Defense budget in US history as GOP pushe

tn1911
02-14-23, 15:30
https://www.businessinsider.com/biden-administration-pentagon-defense-budget-largest-history-mccarthy-republicans-congress-2023-2?utm_source=reddit.com

The Biden administration is close to asking Congress for the largest-ever US defense budget, per Politico.
Lawmakers in December authorized $858 billion in defense spending, more than what President Biden had requested.
Speaker Kevin McCarthy and House conservatives have called on Biden to reduce government spending.

Never thought I’d live to see they day when the Democrats were more pro military than the repubs....

jsbhike
02-14-23, 16:29
https://www.businessinsider.com/biden-administration-pentagon-defense-budget-largest-history-mccarthy-republicans-congress-2023-2?utm_source=reddit.com

Never thought I’d live to see they day when the Democrats were more pro military than the repubs....

All the anti 2A(among other)stuff?

AKjeff
02-14-23, 17:53
How much of it is either going to Ukraine or replacing what has already been given to Ukraine?

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-14-23, 18:00
It the fact that the world is getting more not less dangerous. Also, Dems are the party of big govt… and I bet they have all kinds of social engineering program money in there.

Wake27
02-14-23, 18:25
How much of it is either going to Ukraine or replacing what has already been given to Ukraine?

Yup, all this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

prepare
02-14-23, 18:38
Biden is going to escalate the war with Russia. Putin will have to retaliate and then the US will declare war. If we are lucky Putin will take fjb out.

This is going to escalate and the US is not untouchable. Nor are our satellites.

The US mil is than 1% of the population. That 1% is lead by a woke joke staff of bureaucrat pukes.

It's estimated that only 25% are even eligible for service due to heath, fitness, IQ, etc. Half of 25% would wash out.

The 2023 numbers of total US military personnel are estimated to be less than 1 million due to a mass exodus because of the covid jab mandate. There are currently 144 4 star generals.

Durring WW2 there were over 12 million US military personnel and only four 4 star generals. That level of bureaucracy is crippling to a fighting force.

hotbiggun42
02-14-23, 19:35
Must prepare to fight those damn conservative, white , racists, MAGA folk.

ChattanoogaPhil
02-14-23, 19:46
Is Biden’s defense budget proposal any more about defense spending than the infrastructure bill was about infrastructure spending?

seb5
02-14-23, 20:54
Biden is going to escalate the war with Russia. Putin will have to retaliate and then the US will declare war. If we are lucky Putin will take fjb out.

This is going to escalate and the US is not untouchable. Nor are our satellites.

The US mil is than 1% of the population. That 1% is lead by a woke joke staff of bureaucrat pukes.

It's estimated that only 25% are even eligible for service due to heath, fitness, IQ, etc. Half of 25% would wash out.

The 2023 numbers of total US military personnel are estimated to be less than 1 million due to a mass exodus because of the covid jab mandate. There are currently 144 4 star generals.

Durring WW2 there were over 12 million US military personnel and only four 4 star generals. That level of bureaucracy is crippling to a fighting force.

I understand and agree with your points but must point out there about 19 4 stars in the Army/Air Corp, about that many admirals. The Army did have 4 5 stars.

Miami_JBT
02-14-23, 21:32

Douglas MacArthur
George C. Marshall Jr.
Dwight D. Eisenhower
Henry H. Arnold
Joseph W. Stilwell
Walter Krueger
Brehon B. Somervell
Joseph T. McNarney
Jacob L. Devers
George C. Kenney
Mark W. Clark
Carl A. Spaatz
Omar N. Bradley
Thomas T. Handy
George S. Patton Jr.
Courtney H. Hodges
Jonathan M. Wainwright IV

You know they all have in common? They became 4 Star Generals during WWII.

Wake27
02-14-23, 21:41

Sup hero. What’s your source on the mass exodus from COVID? And what experience do you have of the fighting force being crippled through bureaucracy?

Averageman
02-14-23, 22:29

I can see shades of truth in all of that, but really?
I don't think there was a "Mass Exodus", if it was .5% I would be surprised. I support them, but I think the term "Mass Exodus" is a bit dramatic.
Ironically in my experiance, the Bureaucracy, if it isn't legit logistics stuff, is self imposed poison at some levels. Once the pressure hits, the BS will stop.
I would agree that obesity is a National Security Concern. I was randomly running numbers the other day and it would appear the average Woman in the United States is obese.
I think though that fat kid with the greasy chin who plays X-Box all day could probably park a drone in your colon, if he had two tries.
I dunno man, it's a whole new World.

prepare
02-15-23, 05:10
Sup hero. What’s your source on the mass exodus from COVID? And what experience do you have of the fighting force being crippled through bureaucracy?

Shawn Ryan for one...

Wake27
02-15-23, 07:06
Shawn Ryan for one...

Who’s that? The SEAL that got out of the Navy 16 years ago?

02-15-23, 08:02
There was no mass exodus. Most that left were ready to ETS or retire already. I didn’t see a change in our retention numbers. The COVID jab mandate is a zero percent change from pre-existing policy in all US Mil branches.

prepare
02-15-23, 09:03
Who’s that? The SEAL that got out of the Navy 16 years ago?

Yeah who has lots of mil guys on his podcast with recent service.

02-15-23, 10:31
Yeah who has lots of mil guys on his podcast with recent service.

I’ll be sure to mention podcasts next time I have to brief in a G1 meeting.

sinister
02-15-23, 11:00
There are 44 active duty 4-stars across all the services and specified and unified commands.

Probably two or three times more than needed.

"There are currently 44 active-duty four-star officers in the uniformed services of the United States: 17 in the Army, three in the Marine Corps, eight in the Navy, 11 in the Air Force, two in the Space Force, two in the Coast Guard, and one in the Public Health Service Commissioned Corps."

02-15-23, 12:56
There are 44 active duty 4-stars across all the services and specified and unified commands.

Probably two or three times more than needed.

"There are currently 44 active-duty four-star officers in the uniformed services of the United States: 17 in the Army, three in the Marine Corps, eight in the Navy, 11 in the Air Force, two in the Space Force, two in the Coast Guard, and one in the Public Health Service Commissioned Corps."

Agreed. Its the regional commands like PACOM and whatever.

Diamondback
02-15-23, 17:04
I've long proposed abolishing the 4-star rank except ex-officio for the individual service chiefs and only as a brevet while they hold that office, maybe allow JCS Chair a fifth again as an ex-officio brevet like how Army Chief of Staff was until about George Marshall. Start devolving offices to the lowest rank that can reliably shoulder the responsibility.

As a bonus, the more we thin the FOGO ranks, the more of their personal assigned jets we no longer need and can demil and sell off for up to $40mil each (see Mark Cuban's USED Gulfstream V he bought on eBay).

prepare
02-15-23, 18:06
I’ll be sure to mention podcasts next time I have to brief in a G1 meeting.

The right podcasts are more factual, truthful, and revealing than your legacy institutions. You'll come around...

lowprone
02-15-23, 18:15
44 active 4 star generals !!!!!
The yoke is on us !

Wake27
02-15-23, 18:37
The right podcasts are more factual, truthful, and revealing than your legacy institutions. You'll come around...

You have no personal experience and are basing everything off of stuff other people are telling you. Good for you.

prepare
02-15-23, 19:11
You have no personal experience and are basing everything off of stuff other people are telling you. Good for you.

Everybody that pays any attention has experience with the government lying so much they have no credibility.

02-15-23, 19:24

You have entertainment rumors. I have actual Soldiers and G1 metrics that I have to answer for. So, no, I won’t come around to your bullshit. Shut the **** up.

prepare
02-16-23, 03:19
You have entertainment rumors. I have actual Soldiers and G1 metrics that I have to answer for. So, no, I won’t come around to your bullshit. Shut the **** up.

Just like the truth about the jab.

BH321
02-16-23, 06:57
Just like the truth about the jab.

We had two vaccine refusers kicked out for refusal to get the vaccine in our entire Wing over the entire course of the mandate. That is literally less than 0.2 percent of our Wing kicked out over the vaccine. The Wing literally kicked out more people due to DUIs last quarter than discharged for the vaccine over a nearly year long period. Extrapolated USAF wide the vaccine discharges amount to a rounding error.

I say this with the highest level of disrespect and contempt I can attach to this response. Stop talking about things you know absolutely nothing about. This goes for everyone in this thread that hasn’t served and is spouting drivel. Additionally even for those who served if you weren’t either a commissioned officer or senior non-commissioned officer (or DOD GS equivalent) you do not have the experience or perspective to form a complete opinion about the military as an overarching bureaucracy and why certain levels (specifically the MAJCOMs as that is where my exposure lies) might be necessary. I am seriously getting annoyed by the signal to noise level this forum is reaching and there needs to be a flush.

These views are my own and do not represent the DOD.

AndyLate
02-16-23, 06:59
The military is struggling with recruiting, but its not caused by something as simple as requiring the jab.

The Army says it is having no problem meeting its retention goals and the numbers appear to bear that out. There is/was no mass exodus caused by the vaccine.

Andy

Wake27
02-16-23, 11:05
The military is struggling with recruiting, but its not caused by something as simple as requiring the jab.

The Army says it is having no problem meeting its retention goals and the numbers appear to bear that out. There is/was no mass exodus caused by the vaccine.

Andy

There certainly isn’t anything now. Seperations purely for COVAX have been halted. There are second and third order affects that are much more nuanced but no one should have been kicked out for it in the last month-ish and won’t going forward until the next policy reversal.

02-16-23, 12:52
We had two vaccine refusers kicked out for refusal to get the vaccine in our entire Wing over the entire course of the mandate. That is literally less than 0.2 percent of our Wing kicked out over the vaccine. The Wing literally kicked out more people due to DUIs last quarter than discharged for the vaccine over a nearly year long period. Extrapolated USAF wide the vaccine discharges amount to a rounding error.

I say this with the highest level of disrespect and contempt I can attach to this response. Stop talking about things you know absolutely nothing about. This goes for everyone in this thread that hasn’t served and is spouting drivel. Additionally even for those who served if you weren’t either a commissioned officer or senior non-commissioned officer (or DOD GS equivalent) you do not have the experience or perspective to form a complete opinion about the military as an overarching bureaucracy and why certain levels (specifically the MAJCOMs as that is where my exposure lies) might be necessary. I am seriously getting annoyed by the signal to noise level this forum is reaching and there needs to be a flush.

These views are my own and do not represent the DOD.

You said it better than I was able to.

chuckman
02-16-23, 13:14
The amount of money going to Ukraine is very, very small by percentage. That said, it's $800 million, $500 million more than requested. Most of any budget is manpower and operations, about 65% of the budget, and there's also a build-in for inflation. So if you want to bitch about the high pay of all of those 231 flag officers, there it is. There's an increase for high-capital procurement; ships and aircraft (about 25% of the budget). There's an increase for housing and upgrades.

More concerning to me as an investor is $200 million for 'international security cooperation programs' and establishing a center for security studies in irregular warfare.' $10 mill here, $10 mill there, that shi* adds up.

Diamondback
02-16-23, 13:52
Chuck, we're sorta on the same page--devolving authority frees up budget for needed things, and a lot of those little things you cite the money will only go to various think tanks that are Dem front groups to give kickbacks to D officials through. The defense budget and the ROI from it really needs to be gone through line-by-line stem-to-stern, but even that is a job that would take years if not decades of overcoming various special interests squealing like raped hogs.

There's also the knowledge-loss from Up Or Out, but it's been made crystal clear that filthy civilians aren't wanted here so I'll save that for another time and another discussion... after I re-evaluate my continued presence here.

Peace, fellas I'm out, enjoy the Presidents' Day weekend.

02-16-23, 14:06
but it's been made crystal clear that filthy civilians aren't wanted here .
Who said that? The defense budget should be of interest to civilians. But we should use factual information in that discussion, not bullshit from talk shows. “Has the Covid shot caused a mass exodus?” would have gotten a different type of response (no) than trying to tell us how it is and then continuing to dig that hole.

chuckman
02-16-23, 14:06
Chuck, we're sorta on the same page--devolving authority frees up budget for needed things, and a lot of those little things you cite the money will only go to various think tanks that are Dem front groups to give kickbacks to D officials through. The defense budget and the ROI from it really needs to be gone through line-by-line stem-to-stern, but even that is a job that would take years if not decades of overcoming various special interests squealing like raped hogs.

There's also the knowledge-loss from Up Or Out, but it's been made crystal clear that filthy civilians aren't wanted here so I'll save that for another time and another discussion... after I re-evaluate my continued presence here.

Peace, fellas I'm out, enjoy the Presidents' Day weekend.

I agree it definitely needs to be a line item budget, and like any government budget, there's sooooooo much pork. We needs ships, check. We need aircraft, check. We need people and places for them to live, check. Do we need 231 admirals and generals?? And those 'center for this' and 'center for that' make me dubious, much less those expenditures that stroke certain congressmen and senators because they 'need' it (spending) in their districts. And the every-two-year uniform change with the army, every four or so with the navy. All those 'little' things add the hell up.

You can find defense spending by state: https://oldcc.gov/dsbs-fy2021

AndyLate
02-16-23, 14:52
There certainly isn’t anything now. Seperations purely for COVAX have been halted. There are second and third order affects that are much more nuanced but no one should have been kicked out for it in the last month-ish and won’t going forward until the next policy reversal.

8400 servicemembers seperated is the number Congress is using. That is 0.32% of the military force of 2,586,835. Its insignificant.

Andy

Wake27
02-16-23, 16:31
8400 servicemembers seperated is the number Congress is using. That is 0.32% of the military force of 2,586,835. Its insignificant.

Andy

Good find, I hadn’t seen the number. I also wonder how well defined it is. There’s a difference between started separation and completed. Then, the number we’ll never truly know, how many of them weren’t value added? The one E4 I started to separate wasn’t a problem at that point, but I was worried he may be heading that way.

Either way, I agree, insignificant.