PDA

View Full Version : Can a MEME be criminal? It can be if you tricked dumb Hillary voters

Hank6046
02-15-23, 09:07
Douglass Mackey, a guy who spread a meme that looked like a Clinton campaign message, was accused of spreading memes that made Hillary Clinton supporters falsely believe they could cast ballots in 2016 via text message. I just find this funny, but this could lead to further infringement in what we post online. Please see Reason's article below and Matt Christiansen's video.

www.reason.com/2023/02/13/can-the-feds-prosecute-douglass-mackey-for-his-twitter-trolling

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyRM6YaA02c&t=315s

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-15-23, 10:33
I find that the left is just better at skirting the law. It does help when your buddies are the ones interpreting and enforcing the law…

They can conspire with the FBI to hurt Trump, but because of the cloak of govt service, they can cast a lot of FUD and make it look legal. Our guys all got to jail. Dinesh D’Souza, ROger Stone, and the 1/6 rioters.

Hank6046
02-15-23, 11:11
They can conspire with the FBI to hurt Trump, but because of the cloak of govt service, they can cast a lot of FUD and make it look legal. Our guys all got to jail. Dinesh D’Souza, ROger Stone, and the 1/6 rioters.

To me it just sets a benchmark for further behavior, they go after this guy and call it election interfering to me is a very slippery slope

Ned Christiansen
02-15-23, 11:32
Prior to the m id-terms, I was looking at some Michigan gubernatorial candidates. I searched Ryan Kelley and was taken to a website that looked like any candidate's website-- pics of him with the family, qualifications, etc. There were some position statements. I started reading them and was kinda surprised-- like (making these up going by memory) If elected I will do everything in my power to bring radical right-wing politics into the mainstream even if it means minorities suffer. I will make sure that education takes a back seat to big business and make schools less safe.

Of course this would turn voters off, but for those who didn't take the time to read it, there was a "donate" button.

The whole site was put up by the Democratic Governors Association, and any donations? Went to them.

How in the hell is this legal and how is it that no one goes to jail over it?

jsbhike
04-23-23, 08:17
And on a similar note:

https://www.ammoland.com/2023/04/justin-ervin-and-matthew-hoover-crs-firearms-found-guilty-in-the-autokey-card-case/

moonshot
04-23-23, 10:25
No double standard here...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fsk6NDaWcAEkUu-?format=jpg&name=small
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fsk6NewWcAEplDq?format=jpg&name=900x900

Douglass Mackey was just found guilty of a federal crime he was charged with by the DOJ for tweeting the meme on the left during the 2016 election.

The lady on the right has never been arrested for her tweet that also came during the 2016 election.

AndyLate
04-23-23, 10:43
No double standard here...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fsk6NDaWcAEkUu-?format=jpg&name=small
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fsk6NewWcAEplDq?format=jpg&name=900x900

Douglass Mackey was just found guilty of a federal crime he was charged with by the DOJ for tweeting the meme on the left during the 2016 election.

The lady on the right has never been arrested for her tweet that also came during the 2016 election.

In all fairness, the conservative voters are smart enough not to be fooled...

Andy

moonshot
04-23-23, 14:47
In all fairness, the conservative voters are smart enough not to be fooled...

Andy

I'm not so sure about that - he won the nomination.

SteyrAUG
04-23-23, 15:11
To me it just sets a benchmark for further behavior, they go after this guy and call it election interfering to me is a very slippery slope

Yep, eventually you will only be able to quote a politicians political platform verbatim. No interpretation, no speculation, no outside sources or it will be "election interfering."

JediGuy
04-23-23, 17:37
Here we are now
Going to the West Side

mattiep321
04-23-23, 17:55
I'm not so sure about that - he won the nomination.

Right because the alternative was so much better smash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moonshot
04-23-23, 19:44
Right because the alternative was so much better

Hey, I voted for him in '16 when he did get the nomination. Voted for him in '20 as well.

I just wish someone else had won the nomination. I liked Trump's policies. I do not like Trump. I find him incredibly unsuited for the office. The current resident is also unsuited for the office as was Hillary in '16.

This country has a knack for selecting some of the worst people as leaders.

I wish we could change our primary system and have one day in which everyone in the country votes for their party's candidate. The candidates can campaign however they want, in whichever states or cities they want, but we decide all at once who will be the nominee for each party.

Campaign begins anew and election day is also one day only. No BS same day registration, mail in votes, harvesting, etc.

I can dream, can't I?