PDA

View Full Version : LMT; Build or buy complete

Krp7894
02-15-23, 15:29
Hi all. I’ve been interested in buying an LMT. I really like the Estonian clone they have and have found some for around $3k. Problem is right now money is tight and if I bought that, I’d probably have to sell off a gun like my KAC SR15 MOD2. Now I was wondering, I know LMTs fit nice and tight (my SR15 wobbles just like my other guns), but if started off with an LMT stripped lower and built a rifle up from scratch, do all uppers/lowers made by LMT fit the same? I guess what I’m asking is do you get the same fit and finish with a completed LMT versus one built from scratch (all LMT parts, of course)?

Dutch110
02-15-23, 16:00
One of the things that is just a fact of building your own AR is that of tolerance stacking. Buying parts from the same manufacturer certainly reduces that risk, but it still exists. Compared to buying a complete rifle from the factory where the entire rifle is QC'd as a whole in addition to its individual components. I also think there is value in having a factory built rifle when it comes to resale. Especially in that price range.

Krp7894
02-15-23, 16:07
I thought of this as well. I really like the Estonia rifle and how it’s 14.3” for the barrel. I’d like to suppress the gun eventually, and unfortunately, if I want the KAC suppressor I don’t think you could even find one.

crosseyedshooter
02-15-23, 16:37
LMT uppers have little "speed bumps" that help tighten the fit, so your chances of having a tight fit are pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxs-s8fLdt4

Clubmanager
02-15-23, 16:57
I'd say with a lot of brands it really doesn't matter a whole lot but with LMT/KAC and other brands of that tier, I'd stay with a weapon that is factory built if possible. The only possible exception (to me anyway) is changing the trigger and CH as I'm a Lefty shooter. With LMT/KAC, I just don't see the reason to go down Rabbit Holes of buffers, springs, etc. Some here may argue that and that's fine; they may be right but I like the piece of mind knowing the engineering that went into these firearms.
As it happens, I have a factory MARS-H and a factory SR15 and plan to do literally nothing to them both except get an optic and shoot. To be fair, the PO put a Geissele trigger in the LMT ;)

Krp7894
02-15-23, 17:05
Ugh, I really want that Estonian rifle. Just can’t justify the $3k right now. Unless of course I sold the KAC. If I could sell it and buy the LMT with money left over it might be a no brainer.

lowprone
02-15-23, 17:41
Rare on one hand and rare on the other !

Krp7894
02-15-23, 21:57
I found brand new LMT MARS L lowers for $325 and I couldn’t resist. I ordered one. Going to take some time on this build, and I’d rather not give up the KAC. So right now I’ll grab the lower so I can have both. I figure to build this over the next 6 months should supplies be available. I’d like that Estonia rifle but I’m not looking to spend over $3500 on an AR. I’m hoping I can keep this below $3k.

AndyLate
02-15-23, 23:45
I bought a complete, barely used, SPM14 upper and a complete, new, LMT Defender lower. Fit is good, can push the takedown pins out with a thumb but no rattle or excess play.

I replaced the carbine buffer, trigger, and pistol grip, mostly personal preference not a reflection on the quality of the components.

Andy

Stickman
02-16-23, 11:10
Ugh, I really want that Estonian rifle. Just can’t justify the $3k right now. Unless of course I sold the KAC. If I could sell it and buy the LMT with money left over it might be a no brainer.

I don't know that you would be getting over $3k for a used KAC 5.56 gun.

Wake27
02-16-23, 11:34
I don't know that you would be getting over $3k for a used KAC 5.56 gun.

I think he would, especially if it’s a 14.5 barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Krp7894
02-16-23, 12:03
You’re probably right, I’m going off what I saw on GB which is insane. But no I’m not selling my KAC. Just going to build an LMT 300BLK rifle.

Krp7894
02-16-23, 12:12
I think he would, especially if it’s a 14.5 barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No, 16”.

Hammer_Man
02-16-23, 13:55
You’re probably right, I’m going off what I saw on GB which is insane. But no I’m not selling my KAC. Just going to build an LMT 300BLK rifle.

Don’t sell the KAC, you’ll kick yourself and have a hard time finding another.

Krp7894
02-16-23, 14:00
Don’t sell the KAC, you’ll kick yourself and have a hard time finding another.

I won’t be. I’ll probably never see one again, not in NY. Already have an LMT lower en route from Thoroughbred Armament. I plan to run this suppressed, so I can’t decide what barrel length to go with for 300BLK.

ralfabco
02-16-23, 22:29
The New Zealand rifle is the LMT rifle to have. That said in your situation I would probably keep the KAC and build a LMT parts rifle with factory parts from LMT - aside from a trigger and CH. Good luck. LMT has amazing quality.

Krp7894
02-17-23, 11:41
The New Zealand rifle is the LMT rifle to have. That said in your situation I would probably keep the KAC and build a LMT parts rifle with factory parts from LMT - aside from a trigger and CH. Good luck. LMT has amazing quality.

Since the lower obviously won’t have a trigger I was debating staying all LMT parts or getting a Geissele for this. I left my KAC trigger alone , I find that to be excellent.

Hammer_Man
02-17-23, 13:05
Since the lower obviously won’t have a trigger I was debating staying all LMT parts or getting a Geissele for this. I left my KAC trigger alone , I find that to be excellent.

The LMT 2 stage costs about $200.00, but is rarely in stock. I’d go with a Geissele, and be done with it.

Clubmanager
02-17-23, 16:03
The LMT 2 stage costs about $200.00, but is rarely in stock. I’d go with a Geissele, and be done with it.

THIS IS THE WAY

Krp7894
02-17-23, 16:35
I thought that would be the move to make.

jackblack73
02-17-23, 16:39
You can currently find Geissele SSAs or SSA-Es for $150 on a few sites. Lowest prices I’ve ever seen them, especially the SSA-E.

Krp7894
02-18-23, 07:49
You can currently find Geissele SSAs or SSA-Es for $150 on a few sites. Lowest prices I’ve ever seen them, especially the SSA-E.

Sweet, thanks.

Now I’m having a hard time deciding what to build this into. Do I put a 5.56 14.5” barrel on this, pin and weld the muzzle device and get a 5.56 can? Do I put a 300BLK barrel on it and run it suppressed? So many decisions to make.