PDA

View Full Version : Increase Fed Tax on Gas?

ReCon_1
12-27-08, 20:04
It appears that the Lib Dems want to oversee the Auto Industry to ensure that we the consumers have the fuel efficient cars we need. But it seems the Liberal Dems are afraid we, the consumers, may not buy them. So, their solution is to increase the Fed tax on gas so that we HAVE to buy their vision of what fuel efficient vehicles need to be to wean us off "foreign" oil. Yeah, add the proceeds to their pet lib projects.

Here's the link

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/27/opinion/27sat1.html?partner=MYWAY&ei=5065

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-27-08, 23:35
"FYI. This area is for General Discussions related to the AR. The General Discussion area on the main forums page would be the correct area for this."

Damn it, and I had a god rant going. Recon started it. I hope he's not in charge of calling in artillery.

Iraqgunz
12-28-08, 02:37
FYI. This area is for General Discussions related to the AR. The General Discussion area on the main forums page would be the correct area for this.

Rev18
12-28-08, 13:50
I hate to pile on, but something even worse than that is on the horizon.

What happens when the majority of folks are in fuel efficient vehicles-- or even some alternative fuels are in mainstream use, then what? The fewer gallons being burned/purchased, the less tax revenue going into the treasury.

Well they've already figured it out, and studied it, and made plans for implementing it, in true .gov fashion-- without most people even being aware it was happening.

Many states are inching closer to "pay per mile" taxes that would be tied to odometer checks during annual vehicle inspections. Just google "tax per mile". The Federal Government likes the idea so much they've conducted a study that involves GPS units in vehicles for tracking the total miles driven. This would allow for variable tax rates between states for their portion, plus your Federal amount. You tax bill would come in the mail at the end of the year. I know that there were some people in Raleigh, NC that participated in the study.

Here you go...
http://www.engineering.uiowa.edu/news/newsDetail.php?newsID=243

Happy New Year...

Mr.Goodtimes
12-28-08, 13:57

What happens when the majority of folks are in fuel efficient vehicles-- or even some alternative fuels are in mainstream use, then what? The fewer gallons being burned/purchased, the less tax revenue going into the treasury.

Well they've already figured it out, and studied it, and made plans for implementing it, in true .gov fashion-- without most people even being aware it was happening.

Many states are inching closer to "pay per mile" taxes that would be tied to odometer checks during annual vehicle inspections. Just google "tax per mile". The Federal Government likes the idea so much they've conducted a study that involves GPS units in vehicles for tracking the total miles driven. This would allow for variable tax rates between states for their portion, plus your Federal amount. You tax bill would come in the mail at the end of the year. I know that there were some people in Raleigh, NC that participated in the study.

Here you go...

Happy New Year...

not cool, not cool at all. thats big brother gettin too big. i dont need the gov. putting any sort of gps on my vehicle.

ReCon_1
12-28-08, 14:56
FYI. This area is for General Discussions related to the AR. The General Discussion area on the main forums page would be the correct area for this.

Wait a sec, I was about to apologize for my error but this IS General Discussion: Current Events, News, Politics, Etc.

Iraqgunz
12-28-08, 15:27
Actually the moderators moved it. ;)

Wait a sec, I was about to apologize for my error but this IS General Discussion: Current Events, News, Politics, Etc.

ReCon_1
12-28-08, 18:46
Oh, OK. I do apologize though. My bad.

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-28-08, 19:29
But wait, There's MORE!

OnStar can also be a tatle-tail. It can report back where you've gone, so they don't have to wait till you bring the car in (do you get free miles to bring it in?). They can just send you a monthly bill. It would also allow them to do congestion pricing; drive certian roads at a certian times, extra fee.

But it gets even better! With a simple mod, they can make it so that your car won't start! Doesn't that make you dream of carbs on a car again! Smog's bad, your city's CO2 emmisions too high today, that political rally has been deemed unsafe; break out your shoes!

The offset is that I've heard the Soma is a great high and the soylent green is yummy!

Patrick Henry
12-28-08, 20:59

Here you go...

Happy New Year...

This EXACT scheme has been considered by libtards in Portland/Salem Oregon for the past couple of years. It seems the Prius has cut into revenues too deeply now that the demoncrats have taken control of the state gov.

We deserve the government we vote for. I just hate paying for other peoples' stupid voting patterns. :mad:

Avenger29
12-28-08, 21:23
This EXACT scheme has been considered by libtards in Portland/Salem Oregon for the past couple of years. It seems the Prius has cut into revenues too deeply now that the demoncrats have taken control of the state gov.

We deserve the government we vote for. I just hate paying for other peoples' stupid voting patterns. :mad:

We don't deserve this, because we didn't sign up for this goatrope. But enough stupid people did, and we are going to have to go along with it because we have no choice...

Damn leftists...

ReCon_1
12-28-08, 22:37
I just read that they are thinking about letting Hybrids drive in HOV lanes.

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-29-08, 09:38

Drudge Page link to Article about OR and milage tax payed at the pump (http://www.dhonline.com/articles/2008/12/28/news/local/1aaa02_road.txt)

reels18
12-29-08, 10:54
How can you argue against people who are willing to tax us into prosperity, or is that obscurity?

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-29-08, 10:58
How can you argue against people who are willing to tax us into prosperity, or is that obscurity?

It's called "Trickle-up Poverty". Tax the rich, to give to the poor, till there are rich no more. Something wicked this way comes.

ToddG
12-29-08, 11:00
A per-mile tax de-incentivizes high-MPG vehicles. It makes much more sense to raise the gas tax. People with gas guzzlers pay more per mile than folks with hybrids that way, which achieves the government's goal of convincing more folks to buy fuel-efficient vehicles.

Nathan_Bell
12-29-08, 11:06
A per-mile tax de-incentivizes high-MPG vehicles. It makes much more sense to raise the gas tax. People with gas guzzlers pay more per mile than folks with hybrids that way, which achieves the government's goal of convincing more folks to buy fuel-efficient vehicles.

Well if you own a hybrid you will need to fill out form #2354D and have it notarized and turned in by the 3rd day of January each year, unless that day falls on a day ending in Y, in that case you will have to wait until the following year and file a form #2354F with your state income tax returns.

If you drive more miles outside of the state than inside, you will be able to designate the charity you wish to donate your outs of state driven miles to. This charity cannot have any links with any non-Wiccan religion or have ever recieved funds from an oil, tobacco, or pharmacutical company.

cynically yours.

Nate

Obiwan
12-29-08, 11:29

Less fuel efficent vehicles pay more per mile with the current gas tax

Why raise it, other than simply to take even more money from almost every American...oops...that is the only reason:D

And where is all that lovely class warfare that the left loves so much??

After all, the poor have less money to spend on gas and no money to buy newer and more fuel efficent cars

ToddG
12-29-08, 12:02
Obiwan, I'm not advocating. Just explaining.

If the goal is to encourage people to be more "green" then the gov will promote more fuel efficient cars (as they already do with other tax incentives).

A per-mile tax does not promote fuel efficiency.

Let's take two cars:

Car A gets 50mpg.
Car B gets 10mpg.

We drive both cars 1,000 miles.

If there is a $0.20 per gallon gas tax, Car A will pay $4 and Car B will pay $20.

If instead there is a $0.012 per mile tax, both cars pay $12.

The government gets $24 between the two of them in either case. One scheme benefits the high-MPG vehicle, the other benefits the low-MPG vehicle.

byatacko
12-29-08, 12:46
NO NEW TAXES

Alpha Sierra
12-29-08, 17:59
NO NEW TAXES

Good luck with that after January 21st.

Mr.Goodtimes
12-29-08, 21:44
NO TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION!!!!!!

condition 1
01-02-09, 17:02
It appears that the Lib Dems want to oversee the Auto Industry to ensure that we the consumers have the fuel efficient cars we need. But it seems the Liberal Dems are afraid we, the consumers, may not buy them. So, their solution is to increase the Fed tax on gas so that we HAVE to buy their vision of what fuel efficient vehicles need to be to wean us off "foreign" oil. Yeah, add the proceeds to their pet lib projects.

Here's the link

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/27/opinion/27sat1.html?partner=MYWAY&ei=5065
Would you expect anything less from, Federal Motors, "you"ll drive it and like it" Is there slogan....