PDA

View Full Version : Interesting predicament - detachable carry handle won’t come off?

Caballo
02-19-23, 00:42
So I got a new milspec carry handle, and attached it to a flattop upper. I added a dab of blue loctite to each screw, and tightened the thumbnuts to a little more than snug. Later I wanted to remove the carry handle, so I loosened the thumbscrews and proceeded to try and lift the carry handle off the upper - nothing happened. It wouldn’t budge. I have no idea what the hells happening here - my best guess is maybe when the loctite hardened, some excess got between the clamp and rail and hardened? Do you guys have any idea how I can get this damn thing off, or do I now have a de facto fixed carry handle upper?

grizzman
02-19-23, 02:06
Blue locktite isn’t permanent, so it can pretty easily be removed. It probably seeped between the carry handle and the upper. It the nuts really are loose, then one option is to strike the carry handle with a plastic mallet to break the bond. Another is to use a heat gun or hair dryer to apply heat to the nuts and junction between the sight and upper below the nuts, which will soften the locktite.

mark5pt56
02-19-23, 05:28
Is the plate clear and loose? If not, that may be what's holding it on. Using the plastic or rubber mallet, strike the loosened thumb nuts(left -right) and that should loosen them so you can "tip" off the handle once the plate is loose and the right side wedge is free.

For future reference, they are called thumb nuts for a reason and please do not use loctite, it's not necessary.

bamashooter
02-19-23, 07:05
Knock the hell out of it with your preferred tool, block of wood, etc. Or heat up with a hot hair dryer, heat gun, etc.

Uncas47
02-19-23, 09:55
For future reference, they are called thumb nuts for a reason and please do not use loctite, it's not necessary.[/QUOTE]

Sometimes I use a quarter in the slot and tighten an extra 1/4 turn snug, that's it.

Caballo
02-19-23, 10:26
Is the plate clear and loose? If not, that may be what's holding it on. Using the plastic or rubber mallet, strike the loosened thumb nuts(left -right) and that should loosen them so you can "tip" off the handle once the plate is loose and the right side wedge is free.

For future reference, they are called thumb nuts for a reason and please do not use loctite, it's not necessary.

This worked, thank you.

mark5pt56
02-20-23, 06:33
Excellent! Glad it worked out. You can do two things-As a matter of habit for a pre fire check, give each one a "snug" check or witness mark them and visually verify.