PDA

View Full Version : Tennessee bill would allow officers to carry guns while under the influence

tn1911
02-22-23, 15:06
https://www.fox13memphis.com/news/tennessee-bill-would-allow-officers-to-carry-guns-while-under-the-influence/article_ace4adec-b160-11ed-838a-0fbfba4380b7.html

MEMPHIS, Tenn. - A bill working its way through the Tennessee legislature would allow police officers in Tennessee to carry weapons while under the influence of alcohol or controlled substances.

The bill is sponsored by Republican senator Joey Hensley of Hohenwald, Tennessee.

As introduced, the bill would also allow for guns to be brought into parks and college campuses.

But, the bill would prohibit anyone, including people permitted to carry firearms under federal law, from carrying weapons on elementary, middle and high school campuses, expect by what the bill simply identified as "certain persons".

Maybe this is just the extreme example of if liberals think it's a bad idea, Republicans are for it???

:eek:

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-22-23, 15:08
That's a pretty broad statement: under the influence. What level of intoxication is it referring to? I did not see a BAC listed in the article.

tn1911
02-22-23, 15:14
In Tennessee you don't have to be intoxicated to get charged, consuming any alcohol while armed is prohibited, even taking prescription medication while armed can get you arrested...

HKGuns
02-22-23, 15:22
Everyone should be able to carry while drunk.

You are responsible for your actions whilst drunk. I’m no more a danger to society sober or drunk.

I generally hate people while sober and haven’t committed murder or assault yet in my life.

ChattanoogaPhil
02-22-23, 15:26
The bill summary includes a description that it allows law enforcement officers to “carry a firearm when under the influence of alcohol or controlled substances.” Hensley (bill sponsor), however, said an amendment to the bill makes it clear that is not allowed.

https://www.thecentersquare.com/tennessee/article_8acdfc2e-b2d5-11ed-b73c-73ab95fd7d20.html

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-22-23, 15:31
In Tennessee you don't have to be intoxicated to get charged, consuming any alcohol while armed is prohibited, even taking prescription medication while armed can get you arrested...

Then your state sucks as much as mine. Every citizen should be able to responsibly have a glass of wine or beer with dinner and still be able to effectively defend themselves and others, cop or not.

I get your shock if you are mad that it is an LE exemption, but certainly not if you think people can't have a drink and responsibly carry.

markm
02-22-23, 15:39
You are responsible for your actions whilst drunk. I’m no more a danger to society sober or drunk.

Yeah. I've never thought back and said.... "good thing I didn't have a gun when I was drinking because I would have shot someone or something!"

crusader377
02-22-23, 16:11
Hensley is a typical dumb Tennessee politician. Guy got in trouble for pushing pills and had an affair with his cousin.

https://www.nashvillescene.com/news/in-a-divorce-trial-serious-allegations-about-sen-joey-hensley/article_e4b47641-2e48-5648-ae69-60eef314a6af.html

jsbhike
02-22-23, 17:09
For a long time in TN peons carrying anywhere that sold alcohol was illegal. Can't recall if it was assumed based on wording of law(s) or an AG opinion, but a TN carry group used to advise that included any business selling cough syrup that contained alcohol.

sjc3081
02-22-23, 21:39
You don’t lose any other rights if you drink alcohol, why should you lose your 2A rights. There is not historical tradition in 1791 for banning firearms in bars.

Averageman
02-22-23, 21:55
You don’t lose any other rights if you drink alcohol, why should you lose your 2A rights. There is not historical tradition in 1791 for banning firearms in bars.

I don't drink in Bars, but if I'm sitting at home enjoying an adult beverage and my front door gets kicked in...?

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-23-23, 01:48
All I know is that my score and kill percentage went WAY up the more I drank as I played Operation Wolf when I was in college...

Even driving you don't have to be stone sober...

Lots of states allowing CCW in bars, and it doesn't lead to crazy shoot outs. Just another boogey-man.

33XRAY
02-23-23, 02:05
"I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6."

utahjeepr
02-23-23, 09:26
Call me crazy but I figure that if I am lawfully carrying then I should be allowed to carry anywhere that I am lawfully allowed to be. Can I go into a bar and have a few drinks without a firearm? Well then...

I don't even agree with the idea that a place that is open to the public can prohibit lawful carry. I mean can they exclude the handicapped if they "disagee" with ADA? I mean folks are all hot that you have to "serve and accommodate everyone" right?

ChattanoogaPhil
02-23-23, 12:32
Lots of states allowing CCW in bars, and it doesn't lead to crazy shoot outs. Just another boogey-man.

True. Tennessee passed so-called Guns in Bars over a decade ago, allowing folks to carry guns in bars and establishments that serve. At the time there were lots of folks, including many gun owners, that freaked out, predicting drunken brawl shootouts and all the rest. Yawn... we're doing just fine.

Tennessee has come a long way since the dark days of May Issue, and continues on a pro-gun trajectory.

LoboTBL
02-23-23, 18:31
Anti-2A types refuse to accept the fact that an armed society is a more polite society. Just imagine how less offended they'd be if duels became a thing again.

tn1911
02-23-23, 18:37
Just imagine how less offended they'd be if duels became a thing again.

Now we’re talking!!! :cool:

ThirdWatcher
02-23-23, 21:20
Anti-2A types refuse to accept the fact that an armed society is a more polite society. Just imagine how less offended they'd be if duels became a thing again.

I’ve felt this way for a looong time...

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-24-23, 09:26
Call me crazy but I figure that if I am lawfully carrying then I should be allowed to carry anywhere that I am lawfully allowed to be. Can I go into a bar and have a few drinks without a firearm? Well then...

I don't even agree with the idea that a place that is open to the public can prohibit lawful carry. I mean can they exclude the handicapped if they "disagee" with ADA? I mean folks are all hot that you have to "serve and accommodate everyone" right?

I agree. I understand property rights, but since the 60-70s we have said that if you are open to public accommodation, you have to take all comers. That was part of the civil rights legacy. Now maybe you could say something about open carry, but concealed carry; nope. These anti gunners really seem to think that guns kill people, and all gun owners are mass shooters. Kind of reminds me of lefties overestimating by over an order of magnitude the danger posed by COVID. And they don't let facts get in the way of them being scared..

Renegade
02-24-23, 10:09
Texas already allows it.

T2C
02-24-23, 15:39
I think state law should follow the guidelines of the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act. An excerpt from the act: "is not under the influence of alcohol or another intoxicating or hallucinatory drug or substance;".

jsbhike
02-24-23, 20:20
A GA city seems to be ok with drinking & driving.

https://www.thegeorgiavirtue.com/law-enforcement/guyton-police-officer-caught-lying-on-traffic-stopby-motorists-dash-camera/

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-24-23, 20:35
A GA city seems to be ok with drinking & driving.

https://www.thegeorgiavirtue.com/law-enforcement/guyton-police-officer-caught-lying-on-traffic-stopby-motorists-dash-camera/

There he is ladies and gentlemen. I thought you'd show your face in here even earlier.

jsbhike
02-24-23, 20:50
There he is ladies and gentlemen. I thought you'd show your face in here even earlier.

You mean like page 1?

Not sure what the problem is with me. If Officer Parker hadn't taken it upon himself to be dishonest on video very few people would know he exists nor would they know Rincon, GA was on the verge of firing him for drinking and driving an agency car or that Guyton, GA apparently doesn't have a problem with anything he does.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-24-23, 21:35
You mean like page 1?

Not sure what the problem is with me. If Officer Parker hadn't taken it upon himself to be dishonest on video very few people would know he exists nor would they know Rincon, GA was on the verge of firing him for drinking and driving an agency car or that Guyton, GA apparently doesn't have a problem with anything he does.

No, you have multiple faces, the one you just showed only showed up til page 3.

seb5
02-24-23, 22:04
Sovereigns gonna sovereign………”

jsbhike
02-24-23, 22:11
No, you have multiple faces, the one you just showed only showed up til page 3.

Actually I responded on page 1.

Artos
02-24-23, 23:41

I ran across this & was thinking the founding fathers should have written the 2nd as if they were explaining it to a five year old...they get it, but don't get it.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AllBiteNoBark88/status/1628583901647224835

jsbhike
02-25-23, 11:56
The Tennessee Highway Patrol and the Tennessee Department of Safety and Homeland Security are expressing concern about proposed firearms legislation.

Probably obvious, but that expression is not about the firearms legislation that is the subject of the opening post.

Tennessee bill would expand concealed carry from handguns to all firearms
https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2023/02/22/tennessee-bill-would-expand-concealed-carry-from-handguns-to-all-firearms/69929541007/

tn1911
02-25-23, 15:49
The Tennessee Highway Patrol and the Tennessee Department of Safety and Homeland Security are expressing concern about proposed firearms legislation.

Probably obvious, but that expression is not about the firearms legislation that is the subject of the opening post.

Tennessee bill would expand concealed carry from handguns to all firearms
https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2023/02/22/tennessee-bill-would-expand-concealed-carry-from-handguns-to-all-firearms/69929541007/

THP has always been against anything progun especially regarding you right to travel while armed. They were against the relaxation of TN knife laws as well as our ability to carry into bars, notwithstanding the fact it’s still illegal to have any amount of alcohol in your system while armed.

They’re just outright antigun. Anti 4th amendment and they have a history of ruffling the feathers of judges to the point one state court judge recently tossed out every single THP case on his docket due to what he described as a lengthy history of questionable stops and curious testimony before his court by troopers from a specific post.

From a street cops perspective THP just like my experience with the Georgia State Patrol were only good at working bad accidents and us turning over DUI stops to them when we were conducting saturation patrols, rolling into high crime areas and stopping anything we could get RS on.

We were looking for wanted people, felons with guns and dope. A DUI investigation just took up too much of your time so we’d let the GSP post in our city know we were doing a saturation night and they’d all stack up in the post parking lot and wait for us to call them on state band to take over a DUI stop. On a given Friday or Saturday night we’d give them 5 to 10 DUI’s in a4 to 6 hour period, with us running double coverage which could be as many as 30 cars tearing up a high crime zone.

They were happy they were getting free DUI’s and we could get back to looking for actual gangsters out looking to do gangster shit. Plus when the inevitable car chase popped off we had a flock of idle troopers ready to take it over for us and go all in on the runner, it was less paper work for us when the troopers pitted them once we could confirmed outstanding felony warrants suspected on the owner of the car.