PDA

View Full Version : Yellowstone: 1923

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-01-23, 14:24
Meh

What a waste of a an entire season. Frankly all of what happened this season could have been dealt with in a 90 second prologue. I think they are spreading Taylor Sheridan too far.

I guess a lot of it was set-up for the old-vs-new west.

Some great lines. Sheridan can sure uncork some good one sometimes.

C+

I’m not that old, but I knew people very well that were alive then and could have actually played a part in it.

hotbiggun42
03-01-23, 14:39
Is it over?

Averageman
03-01-23, 14:42
My Dad's Family was LDS and they were moved to the North West corner of New Mexico when it was still rough and rowdy.
I new a lot of those old guys. I don't think I knew many that still had all their fingers, but I knew a few.

titsonritz
03-01-23, 15:27
I want to check out the upcoming Bass Reeves series.

Coal Dragger
03-01-23, 20:22
Meh

What a waste of a an entire season. Frankly all of what happened this season could have been dealt with in a 90 second prologue. I think they are spreading Taylor Sheridan too far.

I guess a lot of it was set-up for the old-vs-new west.

Some great lines. Sheridan can sure uncork some good one sometimes.

C+

I’m not that old, but I knew people very well that were alive then and could have actually played a part in it.

Yeah too much back story, but at least we got to watch a snotty British royal get thrown overboard off RMS Majestic. Which gave me something to look up on Wikipedia, turns out it started out as SS Bismarck and was awarded to Great Britain as war reparations.

Alpha-17
03-02-23, 07:29
My wife asked me to watch a few scenes of the show, and that extended to watching most of the season. After it wrapped up, I told her I had no interest in continuing it.

Spencer's story was good right up until the end, when apparently a member of the extended Royal family can separate an American man from his wife for no apparent reason other than "I'm not sure they were married properly." That just screams diplomatic incident, and with the fears in the '20s of an Anglo-American war, doesn't really seem to jive. His story was by far the best, and even the bits that didn't make a ton of sense were by far the coolest. (the Great War flashbacks, and him immediately disarming the idiot Brit and beating him with his own sword).

The rest of the show was boring at best. The main Dutton story had decent moments (bringing a Tommy gun to a cowboy fight was cool to see) but the Indian story was atrociously bad. Besides not making a lick of sense (killing that many people would only bring down the Feds and not end well for any of them), it was very clearly inspired by all the media hoopla over the "hundreds of bodies found at Canadian catholic school" BS a while back. Besides not actually having being accurate, it also assigns to malice what is more likely just a fact of the times.

Adrenaline_6
03-02-23, 13:57
Yea...when it was mentioned he (royal dweeb) was an expert swordsman and then Spencer Dutton saying he never touched one, he should have been absolutely skewered. Dweeb or not, and expert with a sword is an expert with a sword. Being a badass hunter has zero application in this. The Hunter will lose every time. Two different skill sets.

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-02-23, 16:13
Yea...when it was mentioned he (royal dweeb) was an expert swordsman and then Spencer Dutton saying he never touched one, he should have been absolutely skewered. Dweeb or not, and expert with a sword is an expert with a sword. Being a badass hunter has zero application in this. The Hunter will lose every time. Two different skill sets.

They could have at least drawn it out a bit, which is about the only thing that they DIDN’T draw out on..

Alpha-17
03-03-23, 07:46

I took that to be more of an indication that the Limey was an expert swordsman, but only in the rigid and formal ways he had been trained. When Spencer didn't play by the rules the Limey had been trained in, "expert status" went out the window and he was just an embarrassed and overly emotional rich kid.

And we should remember that Spencer is a Great War vet, and we know even just from the flashback they did that this wasn't the first time someone has tried to kill him with a blade. His trick of grabbing the sword likely was adapted from bayonet fighting.

Just an idea anyway.

ryr8828
03-03-23, 11:20
You guys are tough. If this show doesn't suit you I'm not sure what does.

CRAMBONE
03-03-23, 13:16
I enjoyed it. Kinda perturbed that he hasn’t even made it to the States yet much less to Montana. But I have always been fascinated with this period of history. The Span-Am War to 1930 seems to have been a fascinating time to be alive. I do think Sheridan is spreading himself too thin. That has been evident IMO with this season of Yellowstone.

CRAMBONE
03-03-23, 13:21
Is it over?

Season 1 is.

CRAMBONE
03-03-23, 14:05
Is it over?

Season 1 is.

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-03-23, 14:40
I enjoyed it. Kinda perturbed that he hasn’t even made it to the States yet much less to Montana. But I have always been fascinated with this period of history. The Span-Am War to 1930 seems to have been a fascinating time to be alive. I do think Sheridan is spreading himself too thin. That has been evident IMO with this season of Yellowstone.

Yes. Mayor of Kingstown is good too. That is ok in that it is character and not plot driven.

But I agree with Yellowstone, 1888, 1923, Mayor, and 6666 Ranch (did I skip any?), that is just too much. I understand what they are trying to do with 1923, and I guess after he was told to at least have two seasons, you can’t kill off all the bad guys at once. I like the parallelism between Casey (SEAL) and Spencer (WWI), and the female family leads in each time. Surprised at the boobs/sex in this woke era. Surprised he hasn’t gotten more crap for that.

Adrenaline_6
03-03-23, 15:31
Yes. Mayor of Kingstown is good too. That is ok in that it is character and not plot driven.

But I agree with Yellowstone, 1888, 1923, Mayor, and 6666 Ranch (did I skip any?), that is just too much. I understand what they are trying to do with 1923, and I guess after he was told to at least have two seasons, you can’t kill off all the bad guys at once. I like the parallelism between Casey (SEAL) and Spencer (WWI), and the female family leads in each time. Surprised at the boobs/sex in this woke era. Surprised he hasn’t gotten more crap for that.

As long as they are powerful women characters, they could care less about the boobs and sex. If they weren't, there would be all kind of whining in the media.

pag23
03-03-23, 20:20
I took that to be more of an indication that the Limey was an expert swordsman, but only in the rigid and formal ways he had been trained. When Spencer didn't play by the rules the Limey had been trained in, "expert status" went out the window and he was just an embarrassed and overly emotional rich kid.

And we should remember that Spencer is a Great War vet, and we know even just from the flashback they did that this wasn't the first time someone has tried to kill him with a blade. His trick of grabbing the sword likely was adapted from bayonet fighting.

Just an idea anyway.

Yeah Spencer bandaged his hand up for a reason...and he makes his living killing..

Averageman
03-03-23, 21:25

I wrestled in High School, did Judo in College and boxed in the Army. Pretty well rounded right?
Well at one point I either need to move up or move TF out of boxing. They put my Welterweight behind in with a Middleweight. Now this was a smart move for more than a couple of reasons.
I just didn't have the build to do it to weight standard. I didn't want to quit and I wasn't going any where.
In comes a Sergeant from Kitzegan, he's and he's a heavy middleweight and we are going to spar. I'm a welterweight and this goes on for five rounds. He beats the living crap out of me, no matter how many times my welterweight punches connect with his chin, he's just too big.
Fifth round and I take a a close to the liver shot that crushed me but luckily just at the bell. I go to my corner and I'm begging to go, my Coach tells me to hit the shower.
I had pissed myself when I took that last punch. It had hurt so bad I didn't even know it, end result I pissed blood for two days.
No matter how good I was sometimes you just get outclassed.
That Dude that kicked my azz went on to be a challenger for the Heavyweight Championship of the World, so I don't feel so bad.
But the thing is sometimes, you run up on a freak of nature that wont go down and play dead for you..

hotbiggun42
03-03-23, 23:32
I wrestled in High School, did Judo in College and boxed in the Army. Pretty well rounded right?
Well at one point I either need to move up or move TF out of boxing. They put my Welterweight behind in with a Middleweight. Now this was a smart move for more than a couple of reasons.
I just didn't have the build to do it to weight standard. I didn't want to quit and I wasn't going any where.
In comes a Sergeant from Kitzegan, he's and he's a heavy middleweight and we are going to spar. I'm a welterweight and this goes on for five rounds. He beats the living crap out of me, no matter how many times my welterweight punches connect with his chin, he's just too big.
Fifth round and I take a a close to the liver shot that crushed me but luckily just at the bell. I go to my corner and I'm begging to go, my Coach tells me to hit the shower.
I had pissed myself when I took that last punch. It had hurt so bad I didn't even know it, end result I pissed blood for two days.
No matter how good I was sometimes you just get outclassed.
That Dude that kicked my azz went on to be a challenger for the Heavyweight Championship of the World, so I don't feel so bad.
But the thing is sometimes, you run up on a freak of nature that wont go down and play dead for you..

Yeah the Royal dweeb learned to dance with a sword but never fought a worrior. that was my take on that scene.

Adrenaline_6
03-05-23, 17:13
My take is that it is Hollywood bs. We go on and on about training here because when it counts, you usually don't rise to the occasion, you sink to your level of training. This is no different.

seb5
03-06-23, 06:18
My take is that it is Hollywood bs. We go on and on about training here because when it counts, you usually don't rise to the occasion, you sink to your level of training. This is no different.

Of course that’s true but just because he didn’t train with a sword doesn’t mean he was untrained in fighting or certainly killing.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-06-23, 08:35
1923 was no different than any of the the other Yellowstone series and spin offs.

Pros: breathtaking cinematography, accurate set pieces, great actors.

Cons: terrible pacing, needless side stories, and the same plot every single time (some band of bad folk is getting together to take the Yellowstone!)

Adrenaline_6
03-06-23, 09:41
Of course that’s true but just because he didn’t train with a sword doesn’t mean he was untrained in fighting or certainly killing.

It is unrelated though. You can be great at boxing...try and go to MMA...and vice versa. It doesn't apply. He hunts and is trained in war - shooting is his specialty - it doesn't apply.

Example:

I was a competitive paintball player back in the day...there was a Marine base pretty close by to our field. Marines would come to play all the time thinking their training and teamwork would be superior. Wrong...different skillset...different tactics...different movement...different team work. They would get absolutely annihilated. Every single time. The only successful one was an old retired sniper. His skillset did apply. Nothing like playing with a stock class gun (pump action to load but have to drop the barrel for gravity to feed the round) against full blown electronic semi's and waxing their asses. The satisfaction of seeing them walk off with their $1000+ semi that shoots 20+ rounds a second is awesome!

Same with police recruits. The instructors would invite our team to play with them against the new graduating recruits. It was a massacre.

Edit: if they didn't mention that he was a MASTER swordsman, and that Spencer never even touched a sword before, it would have been more believable.

Grand58742
03-13-23, 18:20
Just got finished with Season 1 and I enjoyed it. Far, far, far more than 1883 which had it gone any slower, would have gone back in time even further.

You really can't beat Harrison Ford as a grizzled old cowboy stuck between eras. And Helen Mirren totally pulls off the old grandmother type that can shut you down with a single stare but with a heart as warm as the sun.

I liked the story line, loved the character interaction and can't wait for season 2.

sapper36
03-13-23, 18:49
My wife and I watched it. I was in just to see the hell Spencer was going to unleash once he got back to the states, which never happened.

Averageman
03-13-23, 18:58
My wife and I watched it. I was in just to see the hell Spencer was going to unleash once he got back to the states, which never happened.

My understanding is that we dont get season two until next year.

SteyrAUG
03-14-23, 18:15
1923 was no different than any of the the other Yellowstone series and spin offs.

Pros: breathtaking cinematography, accurate set pieces, great actors.

Cons: terrible pacing, needless side stories, and the same plot every single time (some band of bad folk is getting together to take the Yellowstone!)

If the writing is good (and by today's standards it's amazing), I don't mind a long in development story. And yeah, the mean theme "keep the land" is the central story, it's about all the people and things that will come for you IF you have something that valuable even if it's called PRIVATE PROPERTY.

This is something that really needs to be told and retold to the average person, sure you understood the first time, but a lot of people need to be made familiar with this concept. It's also nice to see the "property owner tale of woe" get some airtime rather than hear 1% of the population controls 99% of the wealth in this country BS.

Toss in some ideas of what it means to be a "man in the world" (even showing women doing it) and it's better than most of the crap that can be seen today.

Grand58742
03-14-23, 22:14
Toss in some ideas of what it means to be a "man in the world" (even showing women doing it) and it's better than most of the crap that can be seen today.

That was one thing I did like about it. There wasn't the woke nonsense violating the hell out of history by putting women into roles they damn sure wouldn't have been in during that era. I did like the one episode that touched on it where Helen Mirren was pretty much booed out of the hall during the vote before one of the others stepped in. They are powerful characters and even lead in some ways, but there isn't the overwhelming feel of the crap Hollywood puts out that basically rewrites history.

The women in the series are tough and have lead roles in their own right, but you can look at the characters and see they are tough in a different way. The men are men and not bumbling fools as often portrayed in today's cinema and the women are women, but not overarching stereotypes of Captain Marvel.