PDA

View Full Version : Ammo in 09 (email from TDS)

markm
12-28-08, 09:51
Anyone else get this email from Tactical Defense Solutions?

Some news............
Were heading to S.H.O.T this year (we have no choice) to try to find new distributors who can supply what we need. I have a meeting with Federal reps over the new policy that threatens to cut everyone out of the ammo - Federal refuses to ship HST, HydraShok, Gold Dot 50 round boxes, even Speer Lawman hardball to distributors and dealers.
In order to buy this ammo a department P.O. has to go directly to Federal and they will ship to the department.

The top volume distributor in the US has multiple millions in this ammo stuck on the shelf afraid to ship for fear of loosing their Federal distributor status.

If this stands, there will be none of this ammo available to individual officers and definitely not law abiding citizens.

Between this ignorance and Winchesters ridiculous production schedules, '09 looks like its going to be fun.

Dave L.
12-28-08, 09:58
Mark,
What is the background story here? Is there some legislation somewhere preventing the sale certain types of ammo?

markm
12-28-08, 10:00
I don't know. It appears to be a policy from FEDERAL and nothing related to any legislation or anything.

Parabellum9x19mm
12-28-08, 10:44
/grumbles/

Ed L.
12-28-08, 11:50
"Federal refuses to ship HST, HydraShok, Gold Dot 50 round boxes, even Speer Lawman hardball to distributors and dealers. "

Since when is Hydrashok or Gold Dot Law Enforcement only ammo? Hydrashok is marketed to the public as defensive ammo and has been for a long time.

Alpha Sierra
12-28-08, 12:09
Screw ATK. Remington and Hornady should pick up the slack.

Hornady XTP ammo is very, very good and very underrated.

Dave L.
12-28-08, 12:20
Is Federal trying to bend over for the Liberals in some weird way?

mmike87
12-28-08, 12:28
Something doesn't sound right to me. Federal doesn't want to make any money? Doesn't make sense.

Rev18
12-28-08, 14:01
Damn it! How much more can I stock up, I'm already going broke as it is...

This isn't somehow tied to the "Ammunition Accountability Act", is it? Maybe indirectly?

http://www.ammunitionaccountability.org/Legislation.htm

ToddG
12-28-08, 16:22
Until this gets verified, it's nothing more than a rumor.

The 50-round boxes are all LE SKUs. So either Federal has decided it will only ship LE SKUs directly to LE agencies or someone in the communication chain is confused.

SHOT is just a little over two weeks away. Let's remain calm until then, OK?

CLHC
12-28-08, 19:23
Got that same email too. Simply just wait and see. . .

GLOCKMASTER
12-28-08, 19:37
IF this is true, they might be trying to catch up on LE department orders which are really back logged right now. The delay in receiving duty and training ammo has hurt some departments to the point I have had to loan some departments ammo just so they could get their yearly qualifications completed.

GLOCKMASTER
12-28-08, 19:42
Screw ATK. Remington and Hornady should pick up the slack.

No thank you.

Remington was nothing but trouble for us with quality control issues. For us ,ATK is a lot better company to deal with and we have had a lot fewer problems with their quality than any other ammo we have used.

MisterWilson
12-28-08, 19:47
I want to think that this is them wanting to get ammo where it belongs rather than simply trying to shaft non-LE civilians.

In any case, I think it merits going to the local police supply shop and loading up on HSTs...

AirmanAtwood
12-28-08, 19:51
natchez said the same thing :confused:

bkb0000
12-28-08, 19:56
http://www.ammunitionaccountability.org/Legislation.htm

where did this pile of crap come from? written by idiots.

2. No later than January 1, 2011, all non-coded ammunition for the calibers listed in this
chapter, whether owned by private citizens or retail outlets, must be disposed.

whaledriver
12-28-08, 21:18
I have to say I am not a big fan of fear mongering.

AirmanAtwood
12-28-08, 21:21
where did this pile of crap come from? written by idiots.

Yep, idiots. I personally liked the "pistol and assault rifle caliber ammunition" Well... does that mean .223 in a bolt action rifle makes the said rifle an assault weapons since an AR shoots the same round?

bigshooter
12-28-08, 21:45
2. No later than January 1, 2011, all non-coded ammunition for the calibers listed in this
chapter, whether owned by private citizens or retail outlets, must be disposed.

uh........yeah..........nooooo probbbbbblllleeemmm

not to be confrontational but.......... **** YOU.

M4tographer
12-28-08, 21:59
Until this gets verified, it's nothing more than a rumor.

The 50-round boxes are all LE SKUs. So either Federal has decided it will only ship LE SKUs directly to LE agencies or someone in the communication chain is confused.

SHOT is just a little over two weeks away. Let's remain calm until then, OK?

Through a friend, I can tell you they're already using backup equipment and are running 24/7. I'm with you on the communication error. I'd put money on it being a 'catch-up' deal from the 'panic' buying...and they're temporarily shipping orders to LEO POs as priority.

Either that or FedGod is stocking up because they know something we don't. :D:D:D

hatt
12-28-08, 22:15
Either that or FedGod is stocking up because they know something we don't. :D:D:D
We do have to outfit those new domestic security guys the new Prez was talking about.

AirmanAtwood
12-28-08, 22:26
We do have to outfit those new domestic security guys the new Prez was talking about.

He's not president yet. He's still prez elect. If only it could stay that way forever :(

markm
12-29-08, 07:36
My bet is it has to be related to meeting LE needs, not shafting the private citizen.

bkb0000
12-29-08, 07:40
My bet is it has to be related to meeting LE needs, not shafting the private citizen.

agencies probably get nervous when they get low on ammo and discover the market's been bought up.

FVC3
12-29-08, 07:49
No thank you.

Remington was nothing but trouble for us with quality control issues. For us ,ATK is a lot better company to deal with and we have had a lot fewer problems with their quality than any other ammo we have used.

+1 with a bullet :cool:

markm
12-29-08, 07:59
agencies probably get nervous when they get low on ammo and discover the market's been bought up.

Federal is probably hearing a lot of crying from agencies.

czydj
12-29-08, 15:09
I want to think that this is them wanting to get ammo where it belongs rather than simply trying to shaft non-LE civilians.

Huh? Getting the ammo where it belongs? What does that mean?

Submariner
12-29-08, 18:13

Um, the State and its organs need the ammo, not you, taxcow?:rolleyes:

variablebinary
12-29-08, 18:23
Some animals are more equal than others...

Palmguy
12-29-08, 18:24

Good question.

variablebinary
12-29-08, 18:24
Good question.

Not in civilian hands is what it clearly means...

Palmguy
12-29-08, 18:35
Not in civilian hands is what it clearly means...

Yeah, I know. That's why it's a good question.

czydj
12-29-08, 18:50
Um, the State and its organs need the ammo, not you, taxcow?:rolleyes:

I thought he meant hitting the bulls eye, 10x ring, center mass... Golly gee am I an ignoramus...

MisterWilson
12-29-08, 19:08

This, peasant. :D

czydj
12-29-08, 19:14

This, peasant. :D

Comrade Wilson,

Aren't you more likely to be the first responder to any disturbance involving you and yourn? Who needs the HST more?

Sincerely,

Peasant DJ

ToddG
12-29-08, 21:20
OK, this thread has derailed. Please take "us vs. them" discussions to the General Discussion section ... or better yet, don't. :cool:

http://9x19mm.com/photoalbum/albums/userpics/threadclosed.jpg