PDA

View Full Version : Talk about catching a beating, Hung up Paratrooper.

Averageman
03-02-23, 12:03
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgJ5tA-agTk

My Dad told me about this happening on one of his jumps.

chuckman
03-02-23, 12:14
This happened to Pat McNamara in jump school; hearing him tell about it is HI-lareous, but I am sure it wasn't so funny when it happened. He was pretty seriously injured, I think it took him some time to heal.

Wake27
03-02-23, 13:23
Yeah a towed jumper happens every so often. He held onto the static line a little long and obviously that arm got caught up in it. There was a video floating around social media not long ago of one where the kid lost his helmet. Luckily I don’t think he was tangled based on his expression and the way it looked. But torn biceps seem to be common with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

titsonritz
03-02-23, 13:31
This happened to Pat McNamara in jump school; hearing him tell about it is HI-lareous, but I am sure it wasn't so funny when it happened. He was pretty seriously injured, I think it took him some time to heal.

I remember him telling about that, it ripped the shit of of his bicep muscle and pulled it down to his forearm, he was not able to control his chute, made a cartwheel landing and got dragged by the wind, didn't sound fun.

GTF425
03-02-23, 13:48
Yeah a towed jumper happens every so often. He held onto the static line a little long and obviously that arm got caught up in it. There was a video floating around social media not long ago of one where the kid lost his helmet. Luckily I don’t think he was tangled based on his expression and the way it looked. But torn biceps seem to be common with this.

Yep; he failed to hand the static line to the safety and brought his arm down around the static line. We had a towed jumper on a Mass Tac who threw the static line at the safety and had the exact same thing happen. Ended up with a fractured humerus and a separated bicep.

I never had anyone towed on my door, but our Air NCO would kick out these videos to our JMs as they happened. It's surprisingly uncommon in the grand scheme of airborne ops in a year.

Hank6046
03-02-23, 13:52
God that looks horrible. I saw the one where the guy came into fast and hit a humvee and you just know he broke a few bones, I continue to hear people say that in quite a few ways static line jumping was more dangerous then free fall.

chuckman
03-02-23, 14:22
We get a handful of jumps gone bad transferred to us from Ft. Bragg. They are always effed up.

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-02-23, 16:08
Was he the last one out? THere is a slow mo of them going out at the end of the clip.

Tourniquet for internal bleeding?

Seemed like it took a long time to get him back in, and the short (chick?) crew member wasn’t tall enough to rig out the recovery set-up?

Wake27
03-02-23, 17:06
Was he the last one out? THere is a slow mo of them going out at the end of the clip.

Tourniquet for internal bleeding?

Seemed like it took a long time to get him back in, and the short (chick?) crew member wasn’t tall enough to rig out the recovery set-up?

Oh yeah that. It took a long time to get him in… definitely a once in a lifetime ride.

1_click_off
03-02-23, 19:40
Looks like they could cut bait on short stack as they are not able to perform the job.

Also looks like they need to toss a dummy out more often to train how to recover a hang up.

Poor soldier won’t ever make that mistake again. Hope he recovers and continues on jumping.