PDA

View Full Version : Christensen Arms 6.5 very stiff upward movement of the bolt

platoonDaddy
03-05-23, 18:32
Update: check post 13 for pics & issue

Visited a friend today who was shooting his new bolt action Christensen Arms Model 14 Ridgeline with a 16" barrel 1-8, chambered 6.5 Creedmoor. For the 1st 10 rounds, cleaned after every shot. Then after every three shots. I left when he was in the 40's, he will continue cleaning after every three shots, until he reaches 50.

Following each shot, to raise the bolt to eject a round, required a lot of upward pressure, with three different brands of ammo.

Anything come to mind?

Cut & pasted from their web site: The Ridgeline Titanium Edition combines a precision titanium action with our signature carbon fiber barrel at an impressive price. The firearm features a titanium radial brake, spiral fluted bolt, and a carbon fiber composite sporter stock with a Metallic Grey with Black Webbing finish.

Thank you

grizzman
03-05-23, 18:40
Is bolt lift stiff only after firing live ammo, or also when dry firing? It might be a cock on open design, so lifting the bolt is compressing what might be a stiff striker spring. If this is the case, it might compress more easily after use.

platoonDaddy
03-05-23, 18:47
Is bolt lift stiff only after firing live ammo, or also when dry firing? It might be a cock on open design, so lifting the bolt is compressing what might be a stiff striker spring. If this is the case, it might compress more easily after use.

Dry firing doesn’t have the issue…

VIP3R 237
03-05-23, 19:35
We’ve had to send back a few Christensen Ridgeline rifles with out of spec chambers. Tight bolt lift is usually a sign of chamber/headspace issues. CA took care of them but it’s frustrating to have to do that with a fairly expensive rifle.

graffex
03-05-23, 19:58
I would avoid anything they make. See problem after problem reported with them all over the interwebs.

grizzman
03-05-23, 20:03
It definitely seems like an excessive chamber pressure situation. Since it's occurring with factory ammo, I agree that it's probably an out of spec chamber.

How does brass look after it's been fired?

platoonDaddy
03-06-23, 05:08
It definitely seems like an excessive chamber pressure situation. Since it's occurring with factory ammo, I agree that it's probably an out of spec chamber.

How does brass look after it's been fired?

No scratches or dings on the brass.

kerplode
03-07-23, 11:39
Stiff bolt lift is the classic over-pressure indicator.

Either something is wrong with your ammo, or the headspace is dicked up. Since it's happening with multiple different loads, I'd put money on it being the latter.

Send it back to Christensen and make them fix it. I mean, it should have never left the factory like that, but shit happens. Call them, get a return tag, make them fix it.

markm
03-07-23, 12:48
Agree on the pressure indication. Often the breach face is having to shave off a case head swipe on the bolt lift. I don't know who this company is, but apparently they're a part of the culture of American Mediocrity in production.

A good riflesmith could probably fix this thing if he doesn't want to mess with the fools who built it.

Watrdawg
03-10-23, 08:03
Christiansen has a reputation for this. Their rifles are hit an miss when it comes to this. Customer Service is only so-so. Call them up and send it back.

markm
03-10-23, 08:41
Christiansen has a reputation for this. Their rifles are hit an miss when it comes to this. Customer Service is only so-so. Call them up and send it back.

I always am troubled by sending back a gun to idiots who don't do it right in the first place. Even though they should fix it, I'm always more mentally at ease if someone good looks at the problem.

Watrdawg
03-10-23, 09:00
I always am troubled by sending back a gun to idiots who don't do it right in the first place. Even though they should fix it, I'm always more mentally at ease if someone good looks at the problem.

Definitely agree with you on that. I go through the thought process of either sending back to the manufacturer and not having to pay for the work to be done and possibly not having the issue fixed or sending it elsewhere and having to pay for the work to be done but having the confidence it will be done right. Thankfully I've only had to send one rifle back to a manufacturer. It was a Bergara and long story short they ended up buying the rifle back from me. The CS rep was great to work with.

platoonDaddy
03-11-23, 09:35
Gunsmith make a house call this AM

The chamber: scarred & pitted & below SAAMI specs.

Coal Dragger
09-28-23, 14:21
Well on the bright side if it’s under SAAMI it could be cured with a chamber reamer if that pitting/scratches are in a spot the reamer will correct.

I’d just send their trash back to them though.