PDA

View Full Version : The Old is Made New: Rebirth of "Classic" Camoflage

Gutshot John
12-28-08, 11:53
Maybe it's due to my preppy roots, but I've always felt khaki was the ultimate in classic cool. I love jeans, but I always feel more comfortable in a good pair of khakis from Jos. Banks.

The origin of khaki was that British troops in India were appalled that their cotton uniforms kept getting dirty so their Indian servants showed them a certain mud called "khaki" (translated as "dust") that when the white cotton was soaked in the mud (mixture of dust and water) impregnated itself into the fibers. This made excellent natural camouflage and eventually replaces the ubiquitous "red coat" throughout the British Army.

Now I keep seeing all the soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan covered with "dust". Their uniform camouflage seemingly requires it to be most effective and it occurs to me how really important this color has been in the history of warfare.

Is there a broader lesson here for us? Not just about camouflage but in all things related to tactical craft.

Alpha Sierra
12-28-08, 20:12
I have been steadily reducing the number of camouflage garments I wear to hunt. I still kill just as many ducks decked out in McAlister brown and green waxed canvas as I did when I wore Advantage Wetlands head to toe.

jtb0311
12-28-08, 23:13
Last time I shot a deer I was wearing blue jeans and a red flannel shirt.

I think people often create solutions to problems that might not really be that serious. Not always, but sometimes...

Avenger29
12-28-08, 23:21
Last time I shot a deer I was wearing blue jeans and a red flannel shirt.

I think people often create solutions to problems that might not really be that serious. Not always, but sometimes...

Last time I shot a deer I was standing on my back deck in my underwear...

:D

mattjmcd
12-29-08, 14:10
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=16757

you might like these then

Slater
12-29-08, 14:49
Well, the Japanese Army in WW2 and the North Vietnamese Army during the Vietnam War were no slouches at camoflage & concealment, and I think they wore chiefly khaki and/or olive green uniforms.