PDA

View Full Version : 2 Americans Killed in Mexico.

Averageman
03-07-23, 10:10
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/2-americans-kidnapped-in-mexico-are-dead-and-2-others-are-alive-official-says/ar-AA18jSJA?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=1b4bae2513974e2bb5bb4c97faa911cc&ei=30
Two of the four Americans who were shot at by gunmen and kidnapped shortly after crossing the border into northern Mexico last week are dead, according to the governor of Tamaulipas state.

Gov. Américo Villarreal made the announcement over the phone at a presidential news conference Tuesday morning, noting that one of the surviving victims is wounded and the other unharmed.

The governor said the details were confirmed by prosecutors earlier Tuesday morning. He said that ambulances and security personnel were going to give support to the victims.

It’s not clear where they were found.

Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador said further details would be released later.

“We are very sorry that this happened in our country and we send our condolences to the families of the victims, friends, and the United States government, and we will continue doing our work to guarantee peace and tranquility," he said.

Tamaulipas Attorney General Irving Barrios Mojica tweeted Tuesday that the four U.S. citizens were found by “joint search actions.” He said that work is underway to capture those behind the kidnapping.

I think it's about time to deal with all of this on our border as if it were a war against the United States.

chuckman
03-07-23, 10:13
I think it's about time to deal with all of this on our border as if it were a war against the United States.

I agree. I totally agree.

Sam
03-07-23, 11:37
Sicario.

kerplode
03-07-23, 11:47
I'm gonna have to file this under "Play stupid games".

Everybody wants to be a drug dealer and move weight until it's time to get kidnapped and murdered by your cartel contacts...

markm
03-07-23, 11:51

Everybody wants to be a drug dealer and move weight until it's time to get kidnapped and murdered by your cartel contacts...

Yeah. Eff them. I have no sympathy for even good people who choose to travel in that shithole.

utahjeepr
03-07-23, 11:57

Say what? My understanding was these folks went to Matamoros for "medical tourism". Plastic surgery or some such.

You saying this was a drug deal? Source?

titsonritz
03-07-23, 12:18
Like Americans aren't killed by Mexicans north of the border.

Adrenaline_6
03-07-23, 13:24
Sicario.

Clear and Present Danger

SteyrAUG
03-07-23, 13:32
Yeah. Eff them. I have no sympathy for even good people who choose to travel in that shithole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn0WdJx-Wkw

Averageman
03-07-23, 14:18
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuGa0zoBzZ0
3 Miles from Brownsille. They were like thousands of others do, buying medicine and checking on a precedure.

glocktogo
03-07-23, 14:59
A point was brought up I hadn't considered. Designating the cartels as transnational terrorist organizations would open up our border to legitimate asylum claims by Mexican nationals. I don't think that's where we want to go with this. Authorizing military strikes inside Mexico would also further asylum claims by Mexican nationals. The cartels know this and they're using these facts as cover for their operations.

I think we're going to have to get more clever by half, if not whole to address the problem. Probably our biggest obstacle beyond our feckless "leaders", is the CIA? They're known to be in bed with drug smuggling operations, so they obviously can't be trusted to play a role. Nor do I think Blinky's Dept. of State can be trusted to have any role beyond twisting Mexico's arm on accepting our "help" in combatting the cartels. Hell, he probably can't be trusted to do that either.

I think in order to have any impact at all, we'd have to compromise the Mexican government at a high enough level to obtain their compliance, embed our most trusted operators at a black site in Mexico to run SIGINT, reconnaissance and targeting, then literally hand over operational control of the attack elements AFTER they're in the air/enroute to the target(s). Each step in operations would have to be compartmentalized. Our people would have to be airlifted in and out of the site directly. Anything less and the cartels would find a way to compromise the system.

Of course this is just fantasy talk because I don't see the US growing any balls on the problem anytime soon. :(

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-07-23, 15:07
We travel as both a couple and as the whole family. We considered Mexico once about a decade ago, and quickly reconsidered. Last year, when my brother wanted to have a destination wedding there, we told him we refused to travel to Mexico and he changed his plans.

Lots of ways to die in this world, and truly nothing and nowhere is a safe bet. But travel to Mexico as an American of any race is certainly increasing your chance of being killed in a terrible and painful manner.

My sympathies to the deceased and likely soon to be deceased. But please, stop vacationing to war zones and expecting anything but war.

CRAMBONE
03-07-23, 15:41
, embed our most trusted operators at a black site in Mexico to run SIGINT, reconnaissance and targeting, then literally hand over operational control of the attack elements AFTER they're in the air/enroute to the target(s). :(

How can you say you don’t trust the Agency and want to use “black ops” in the same message? Once you get to the “black ops” level of operatordom the lines are so blurry no body knows who works for who. it’s all pretty much the CIA.

kerplode
03-07-23, 15:50
Say what? My understanding was these folks went to Matamoros for "medical tourism". Plastic surgery or some such.

You saying this was a drug deal? Source?

I made that up. Source is my ass. ;-). It's an extension of the "sketchy things generally happen to sketchy people" principle.

I'm still gonna file "Medical Tourism" under "Play Stupid Games" though

prepare
03-07-23, 15:58
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/2-americans-kidnapped-in-mexico-are-dead-and-2-others-are-alive-official-says/ar-AA18jSJA?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=1b4bae2513974e2bb5bb4c97faa911cc&ei=30
Two of the four Americans who were shot at by gunmen and kidnapped shortly after crossing the border into northern Mexico last week are dead, according to the governor of Tamaulipas state.

Gov. Américo Villarreal made the announcement over the phone at a presidential news conference Tuesday morning, noting that one of the surviving victims is wounded and the other unharmed.

The governor said the details were confirmed by prosecutors earlier Tuesday morning. He said that ambulances and security personnel were going to give support to the victims.

It’s not clear where they were found.

Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador said further details would be released later.

“We are very sorry that this happened in our country and we send our condolences to the families of the victims, friends, and the United States government, and we will continue doing our work to guarantee peace and tranquility," he said.

Tamaulipas Attorney General Irving Barrios Mojica tweeted Tuesday that the four U.S. citizens were found by “joint search actions.” He said that work is underway to capture those behind the kidnapping.

Who's going to deal with the border crisis? The government is too corrupt and unqualified.

utahjeepr
03-07-23, 16:33
Maybe we should just say the cartels are all Nazis and annex the place. :p

pag23
03-07-23, 16:49
Been to Mexico once...Cozumel on a cruise almost 20 years ago

When you have armed Mexican Marines with M16s and K9s at the port of call enough to be a deterrent force, you gotta wonder.....

sicario type tactic a would be a good move.....

flenna
03-07-23, 17:49

What makes you think the condition on our border isn’t exactly how the .gov wants it? The last two years are proof the violence, drugs and criminals willingly let into our country is what our “leaders” want.

SteyrAUG
03-07-23, 19:22
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuGa0zoBzZ0
3 Miles from Brownsille. They were like thousands of others do, buying medicine and checking on a precedure.

Wait. I thought Obamacare was gonna make all those things unnecessary.

Guess we'll file that with NAFTA which was supposed to fix the Mexican economy and keep illegals from coming here or feeling the need to smuggle drugs into the US. Seems all we did was export a large part of our infrastructure (and I mean good jobs building cars, not China jobs making shoes and phones) to Mexico.

Pappabear
03-07-23, 20:47
We travel as both a couple and as the whole family. We considered Mexico once about a decade ago, and quickly reconsidered. Last year, when my brother wanted to have a destination wedding there, we told him we refused to travel to Mexico and he changed his plans.

Lots of ways to die in this world, and truly nothing and nowhere is a safe bet. But travel to Mexico as an American of any race is certainly increasing your chance of being killed in a terrible and painful manner.

My sympathies to the deceased and likely soon to be deceased. But please, stop vacationing to war zones and expecting anything but war.

I have said before and will say again, I have sons that went there 8 years ago and I did as well. Recently I have offered to pay them to goto CA vs Mexico. My friend just dropped by the house and he is getting married in Mexico to a great Mexican family. I am sure they would try to keep us safe but no fckg way I am going to Mexico. It would be a great, I mean GREAT wedding party but I just can't. I have a great wife I love, not going to happen.

Mexico is no longer a wedding destination. Please advise your children and friends.

PB

utahjeepr
03-07-23, 21:03
I wonder how safe Puerto Penasco is these days? It was getting sketchy years ago. I guess Rocky Point is probably less popular with the AZ folks these days.

Pappabear
03-07-23, 21:19
Much less popular with people that can read.
PB

Artos
03-07-23, 21:54
Right now my guess this was a set up to get easy $$$ that went sideways...family says they went across so the gal could get cheap cosmetic surgery & that takes cash. IMO it wasn't a case of mistaken identity and/or blowing through a narco checkpoint as it happened way to close to the POE.

I also can't see out of towners going to do thug biz with out of state plates in the middle of CTG territory...who knows, but reeks of amateur hour for a handful of cash.

HKGuns
03-08-23, 06:55
I have said before and will say again, I have sons that went there 8 years ago and I did as well. Recently I have offered to pay them to goto CA vs Mexico. My friend just dropped by the house and he is getting married in Mexico to a great Mexican family. I am sure they would try to keep us safe but no fckg way I am going to Mexico. It would be a great, I mean GREAT wedding party but I just can't. I have a great wife I love, not going to happen.

Mexico is no longer a wedding destination. Please advise your children and friends.

PB

Kalifornia IS Mexico PB!

How's that gun control working out in Mexico? Looks to me like those thugs were violating some gun laws........

"Mexico has extremely restrictive laws regarding gun possession. There are only two stores in the entire country, DCAM near the capital, and OTCA, in Apodaca, Nuevo León. It also takes months of paperwork to have a chance at purchasing one legally."

yoni
03-08-23, 10:00
I have 2 friends one is tex mex and the other is the reverse mex tex, they do a lot of business with PEMEX and I mean a lot. Which means they are connected, tehy both also have family in Mexico. Maybe about 18 months or maybe a little more they stopped driving across the border, too dangerous.

I would suggest for medical tourism Dominican and if someone needs a fantastic dentist I have a referral. It so happens I was in my American dentist yesterday and since I last saw him I lost a tooth that had been damaged 30 years ago with a kick in the face. It started bothering me last August when I was in the DR. I went to a dentist that was recommended to me and he tried to save the tooth but it was cracked across the root so it had to come out. He glued the top of the tooth back in as a spacer until my jaw bone healed . But an over toasted bagel launced it out of my mouth in December. Any way the guy worked on that tooth like 90 minutes.
He charged me $60.
I can fly to the DR, even stay in a hotel rather than with friends and get a titanium implant for less than what my co pay will cost me up here to do the same and I mean like 50% of my copay.

Pappabear
03-08-23, 10:08
I have 2 friends one is tex mex and the other is the reverse mex tex, they do a lot of business with PEMEX and I mean a lot. Which means they are connected, tehy both also have family in Mexico. Maybe about 18 months or maybe a little more they stopped driving across the border, too dangerous.

I would suggest for medical tourism Dominican and if someone needs a fantastic dentist I have a referral. It so happens I was in my American dentist yesterday and since I last saw him I lost a tooth that had been damaged 30 years ago with a kick in the face. It started bothering me last August when I was in the DR. I went to a dentist that was recommended to me and he tried to save the tooth but it was cracked across the root so it had to come out. He glued the top of the tooth back in as a spacer until my jaw bone healed . But an over toasted bagel launced it out of my mouth in December. Any way the guy worked on that tooth like 90 minutes.
He charged me $60.
I can fly to the DR, even stay in a hotel rather than with friends and get a titanium implant for less than what my co pay will cost me up here to do the same and I mean like 50% of my copay.

Honestly those prices would force some Americans to take that risk. Damn that is amazing.

They do those full mouth make overs in Mexico that cost like $10k here so the money that can be saved has to be tempting. Not for me but a lot of people.

PB

Artos
03-08-23, 11:02
This Is the Mexican Border City Cartel Boss Behind Killing, Kidnapping of U.S. Citizens

https://www.breitbart.com/border/2023/03/07/exclusive-this-is-the-mexican-border-city-cartel-boss-behind-killing-kidnapping-of-u-s-citizens/

glocktogo
03-08-23, 12:08
This Is the Mexican Border City Cartel Boss Behind Killing, Kidnapping of U.S. Citizens

https://www.breitbart.com/border/2023/03/07/exclusive-this-is-the-mexican-border-city-cartel-boss-behind-killing-kidnapping-of-u-s-citizens/

There should be an MQ-9 getting ordinance loaded with his name on it asap. :mad:

B Cart
03-08-23, 12:28
Seems like Mexico has kept a small few tourist spots safer than the rest of the country (Cancun, Cozumel, Cabo), because they rely heavily on the Tourism. I'm sure there are still incidents, but i've been to Cancun and Cozumel multiple times over the past 2 years and they were both very quiet and trouble free when i was there. To be honest, i felt much safer in those tourist areas than i have in many US cities recently. Now, going outside of those few limited tourist areas is a whole different story.

Not advocating for anyone to travel to Mexico, but from my recent experiences, there are still a few places there that seem fairly safe.

utahjeepr
03-08-23, 13:00
From things I have heard from friends who travel there the tourist hot spots are usually pretty safe. If you fly in it's fine. It's the driving through, like RV trips or driving to Rocky Point that can be a problem.

I know folks that have condos in Mexico and fly in. They say it's NBD. Part of the "maintenance" cost goes for paying protection to the cartels apparently, which doesn't sit well with me. You do hear of some nasty shit happening even in the tourists spots though, and getting robbed in Rocky Point was not exactly rare even 10 years ago. I don't know. There's lots of places to go. Though tourists with cash tend to draw out the baddies pretty much everywhere.

I haven't been to Mexico in a long while. I don't know if the risk is overblown or if it really is as dangerous as some folks make it out to be.

titsonritz
03-08-23, 13:12
Yeah, if you fly into tourist-town and stay on the beaten path you'll most likely be fine. Years ago some friends and I went on a road trip...crossed at Nogales, went through Hermosillo and down to Guaymas before coming back with the 2nd worse hangover in my life, there is no way in hell I'd do it today.

titsonritz
03-08-23, 13:14
Kalifornia IS Mexico PB!

How's that gun control working out in Mexico? Looks to me like those thugs were violating some gun laws........

"Mexico has extremely restrictive laws regarding gun possession. There are only two stores in the entire country, DCAM near the capital, and OTCA, in Apodaca, Nuevo León. It also takes months of paperwork to have a chance at purchasing one legally."

Or you can join a cartel and have a belt fed machine gun and an Eric Holder special .50cal.

nick84
03-08-23, 19:49
Pretty sure they've found some mass graves within a few miles of Cancun in the recent years....

I said a few years ago that I thought a military intervention in Mexico was more likely than another military intervention in the ME. I'm sure it would end in disaster thanks to our bipartisan tendency for dithering leadership, but I'd rather see us do that than send all our arty shells to Ukraine and slowly get more roped in to that mess.

We should just get on with a path to legalize cocaine in some way. Then people could import it from the source and start checking it for fentanyl, greatly reducing that problem. Starving the Mexican cartels of their demand is the only way to reduce their hold on legitimate governance and slowly take apart the Mexican narcostate. None of these are ideal solutions, but the status quo is horrific.

SilverBullet432
03-08-23, 21:03
Seems like Mexico has kept a small few tourist spots safer than the rest of the country (Cancun, Cozumel, Cabo), because they rely heavily on the Tourism. I'm sure there are still incidents, but i've been to Cancun and Cozumel multiple times over the past 2 years and they were both very quiet and trouble free when i was there. To be honest, i felt much safer in those tourist areas than i have in many US cities recently. Now, going outside of those few limited tourist areas is a whole different story.

Not advocating for anyone to travel to Mexico, but from my recent experiences, there are still a few places there that seem fairly safe.

1. Stay in a well known resort. (We stay in the Marriott in the hotel zone).
2. STAY in THE RESORT (Don’t go into town clubbing etc.).
3. Don’t buy weed from the annoying beach vendors.
4. Book a private airport transfer (unless resort offers a private shuttle).
5. Enjoy Cancun!!

The cartels know better than to start shit at the resorts.
All the bad shit usually happens in town or in the boonies.

Sam
03-09-23, 06:16
1. Stay in a well known resort. (We stay in the Marriott in the hotel zone).
2. STAY in THE RESORT (Don’t go into town clubbing etc.).
3. Don’t buy weed from the annoying beach vendors.
4. Book a private airport transfer (unless resort offers a private shuttle).
5. Enjoy Cancun!!

The cartels know better than to start shit at the resorts.
All the bad shit usually happens in town or in the boonies.

This is not a criticism of your post, those are all good suggestions/cautions.

But if one has to do all of that, why go there at all? is it just to say that "I've been to Cancun"? There are lots of beautiful beaches in the US, a lot are quite affordable.

Several decades ago I went to Acapulco. We walked the road along the beach front hotel row, ate at the restaurants, etc. felt totally safe. Actually didn't feel threatened once. We were annoyed by the beggars, trinket selling kids that were all over the beach.

Striker6
03-09-23, 10:33
… Several decades ago I went to Acapulco. We walked the road along the beach front hotel row, ate at the restaurants, etc. felt totally safe. Actually didn't feel threatened once. We were annoyed by the beggars, trinket selling kids that were all over the beach.

A lot has changed since then. Acapulco is one of the most dangerous areas in Mexico to visit now.

Artos
03-09-23, 11:00
CDG Gives Up Hitmen Who Were Behind the Attack on Americans in Matamoros

Warning...site is not work / family friendly.

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2023/03/cdg-gives-up-hitmen-who-were-behind.html

Averageman
03-09-23, 11:16
I lived in Southern Arizona during my teen years and have often been to Mexico.
We used to go down in the 1970's to buy booze and Medicine for my Grandparents, never had a problem. The guys who had problems down there and back then were usually the cause of their own problems.
Around 1976-77 Cocaine became popular and from then on, things radically changed.

I don't think I would be going down there anytime soon.

glocktogo
03-09-23, 11:17
CDG Gives Up Hitmen Who Were Behind the Attack on Americans in Matamoros

Warning...site is not work / family friendly.

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2023/03/cdg-gives-up-hitmen-who-were-behind.html

Is this the cartel equivalent of "Don't drone me bro!"?

Artos
03-09-23, 12:19
Cartel del Golfo has always controlled the state of Tamaulipas even going back to prohibition days...of course now they have different factions / infighting.

Shame what happened to Mexico & glad to have the memories I do...White wing hunting in San Fernando, many high school late night outings, countless dinners & worked in the Maquilas for 15 years. Haven't been across I guess going on 7-8 years now.

Sam
03-09-23, 14:23
Like my earlier post eluded to, this is straight out of Sicario Part 18.

As for Acapulco or any part of Mexico, hell no I won't go. The time that I went, most of the members here were probably still in elementary school.

georgeib
03-09-23, 15:32
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11836293/Two-American-men-kidnapped-Mexico-lengthy-rap-sheet.html

Cocaine cowboys: American man killed in Mexico border kidnap was jailed in 2015 for 'drugs manufacture' - while the other three ALL have lengthy drug raps

Four U.S. citizens kidnapped by the Gulf Cartel - Latavia McGee, Eric Williams, Zindell Brown and Shaeed Woodard - had lengthy rap sheets
They traveled to Mexico to accompany McGee for a cosmetic tummy tuck surgery when they were caught in gang crossfire in Matamoros
Williams and McGee survived - but Brown and Woodard were killed. The group were found in a stash house in El Tecolote six-and-half-miles from Matamoros

ChattanoogaPhil
03-09-23, 15:54
Risks in Mexico are no secret. Am I supposed to be outraged?

Life is full of choices… choose wisely. Plenty of places in the US I won’t go.

SilverBullet432
03-09-23, 18:21
This is not a criticism of your post, those are all good suggestions/cautions.

But if one has to do all of that, why go there at all? is it just to say that "I've been to Cancun"? There are lots of beautiful beaches in the US, a lot are quite affordable.

Several decades ago I went to Acapulco. We walked the road along the beach front hotel row, ate at the restaurants, etc. felt totally safe. Actually didn't feel threatened once. We were annoyed by the beggars, trinket selling kids that were all over the beach.

You are not wrong at all, for me, it’s about getting out of the country.

Back in those days, it was different, bad shit still happened, but it was low-key. Those who went looking for trouble generally found it.

These days, mofos kill innocents just for fun.

wahoo95
03-09-23, 19:08
I go every year for work and never had any issues. Like most American cities you stay in your place and avoid going places you shouldn't if you're not from around there.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

titsonritz
03-10-23, 19:12
The Cartels turn over five members they claim are responsible for the kidnapping and murder, after beating the hell out of them and they include a hand written apology note...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rDFdUVKpIY

utahjeepr
03-10-23, 19:26
The Cartels turn over five members they claim are responsible for the kidnapping and murder, after beating the hell out of them and they include a hand written apology note...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rDFdUVKpIY

Saw that yesterday. I was surprised they were alive. Not exactly cartel SOP.

ddbtoth
03-10-23, 19:39
Saw that yesterday. I was surprised they were alive. Not exactly cartel SOP.

It’s kindergarten level manipulation, don’t care. Should have smoked all 4. Past and future criminals.

Averageman
03-10-23, 19:52
I can't help but wonder if these folks didn't look like someone else, or that they may have had some negative interaction with someone.

I would imagine if you're going down there to do some sort of business and dont have any "Gangster Stank" on you, you're safe enough to do business in some border towns.
Don't interact with NPC's, dont talk to the Ladies, do your do and get back home before sundown and you're 'prolly alright.
But certainly not on my list of things to do.