PDA

View Full Version : B-21 Raider Seen From Above In New Image

tn1911
03-07-23, 14:24
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/b-21-raider-seen-from-above-in-new-image

Two new images of the B-21 Raider next-generation stealth bomber have been released by the U.S. Air Force. One is a detailed close-up of the B-21's nose and cockpit section, the other provides us with the first look at the planform of the secretive new jet, which aims to replace the B-2 and the B-1.

The elevated image underscores the B-21's overall layout, which harkens back to what the B-2 would have looked like if requirements for low-level penetration were not introduced mid-way through its development. This planform also would have given the B-2 a substantially higher operating ceiling, which the B-21 will likely achieve. While the image overall is compressed due to the wide angle lens, it still highlights the B-21's smaller proportions compared to its now well over three decades-old progenitor.

Overall, the B-21 has an organic look to it, almost as if it was grown, not constructed. It serves as a testament to how far production of large-span composite structures and related material sciences have come in the decades since its predecessor's roll-out.

It’s not really from above just a slightly higher angle, but it looks even more freaky too!

ZGXtreme
03-07-23, 16:25
Now I have four kids under five so my environment most likely influences my first impression… but I can’t help but see this.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230307/908da72efe4f6571ad7c78154cf5c5e3.jpg

pag23
03-07-23, 16:53
Hmmmm...I hope they choose another color vs white

Coal Dragger
03-07-23, 19:01

Request granted.

The Air Force is excited to announce that all B-21 Raider strategic bombers will be painted in LGBTQ+-/ flag colors. Furthermore the entire program will be made up exclusively by transsexuals, people of color, and women. No men, or white women who identify as heterosexuals will be allowed to fly or maintain the B-21.

pag23
03-07-23, 19:55
Request granted.

The Air Force is excited to announce that all B-21 Raider strategic bombers will be painted in LGBTQ+-/ flag colors. Furthermore the entire program will be made up exclusively by transsexuals, people of color, and women. No men, or white women who identify as heterosexuals will be allowed to fly or maintain the B-21.

Lol....

utahjeepr
03-07-23, 21:10

I mean I think the white looks cool and all, but it's a bit Stormtrooper-ish. So if they go with white it'll never make a hit and get taken down by near misses from the enemy.

Gotta ask about that second pic though. Are the bubba teeth deployable for IFF and tracking in friendly airspace? All that drag has gotta be tough on airspeed.

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-08-23, 01:47
Don’t know if that sweep angle is exaggerated by the lens set up, but that is a lot more swept back than the B2. Do they tout a higher speed for it?

My guess is that the white paint is an ablative/protective coating that they can spray on and then peel off really easily. That way you protect the RAM material and can detect if someone muffed the airframe. Just a thought since there are lot of stories about B2s having surface issues.

tn1911
03-08-23, 08:20
Kendall Reveals New Details on Air Force Plans: 1,000 CCAs, 200 NGAD Fighters

https://www.airandspaceforces.com/kendall-new-details-air-force-plans-200-ngad-1000-ccas/

SomeOtherGuy
03-08-23, 10:21
Request granted.

I would laugh, but this is way way way WAY too close to the 2023 clown world reality.

More serious note... anyone have an educated guess as to unrefueled range? SECDEF is claiming it will bomb anything globally without logistics support, which implies no tankers. Various reports indicate much more range than the B-2. Recent article at The Drive suggests high altitude focus and capabilities, which would help range over great distances. I think the B-52 is otherwise the unrefueled range champion even with its old engines, and likely gaining a major boost with the re-engine upgrade now happening. Has anyone seen educated guesses for the re-engine B-52 and the B-21?

Diamondback
03-08-23, 11:50
I would laugh, but this is way way way WAY too close to the 2023 clown world reality.

More serious note... anyone have an educated guess as to unrefueled range? SECDEF is claiming it will bomb anything globally without logistics support, which implies no tankers. Various reports indicate much more range than the B-2. Recent article at The Drive suggests high altitude focus and capabilities, which would help range over great distances. I think the B-52 is otherwise the unrefueled range champion even with its old engines, and likely gaining a major boost with the re-engine upgrade now happening. Has anyone seen educated guesses for the re-engine B-52 and the B-21?

Actually, B-36 beat the BUFF unrefueled, but it was BIG, SLOW and stood out like Schwarzenegger in drag at a pinup convention. The mission concept both B-36 and B-52 were designed for really does require refueling... B-21 improving over its ancestor is to be expected, between better computing resources for blending the stealth and aerodynamic needs of shaping, ditto combining aeroshell and structure reducing weight (B-2 is like a giant shell wrapped around an F-117 style faceted "main structure") and more efficient engines.