PDA

View Full Version : Savage 10FP-LE2

Razoreye
06-18-06, 23:55
My MOA rifle. It could probably do sub if I do my part right, which doesn't happen a whole lot. I have it zeroed for 200 yards. Other two pics are kinda large, so I'll link them.

http://www.razoreye.net/pictures/savage10a.JPG

http://www.razoreye.net/pictures/sav_side.JPG
http://www.razoreye.net/pictures/scope.JPG

fly223
07-04-06, 17:56
Very nice rifle, I have a savage 10FP in .308 and 223 both have duramax stocks on them. For the money you can't beat a Savage, the accuracy of these rifles are great. Both of mine shoot atleast MOA or better. I'm thinking about getting one in 243 aswell, just have to make sure the funds are there.

From,
Joe....

FM18
07-04-06, 19:23
I just picked up a new 10FPHS in 308 this morning and hope to at least get MOA out of it. Will be trying it out this weekend if all goes well. I really like the accu-trigger and the stock but the action in no where near as smooth as an old second hand Sako 270 that I picked up several years back... Brand new at prcision shooting so I am hopefull that I can some potential out of this new gun:)

Razoreye
07-05-06, 13:57
I just picked up a new 10FPHS in 308 this morning and hope to at least get MOA out of it. Will be trying it out this weekend if all goes well. I really like the accu-trigger and the stock but the action in no where near as smooth as an old second hand Sako 270 that I picked up several years back... Brand new at prcision shooting so I am hopefull that I can some potential out of this new gun:)
I got mine used. The action was smooth. I have no idea how many rounds went through it but the barrel's prime might be gone. It's still good enough for me though. The scope was slightly crooked and it has been bothering me so I straightened it up. I hope that would not throw off my zero, I haven't had a chance to check it yet.

fly223
07-25-06, 11:00
Just wondering but why is there a cloths at the end of the barrel? Does that help keep moisture out of the barrel? I've been having some problems with my bolt guns having some minor rust in them in the summer time or warm weather conditions, so I'm just wondering what else I could do to help prevent that from happening.

Thanks,
Joe....

yrac
07-25-06, 11:34
Just wondering but why is there a cloths at the end of the barrel? Does that help keep moisture out of the barrel? I've been having some problems with my bolt guns having some minor rust in them in the summer time or warm weather conditions, so I'm just wondering what else I could do to help prevent that from happening.

The crown of the muzzle is critical in a precision rifle. It's the last thing the bullet "sees" as it exits the barrel. Damage to the crown will have a detrimental effect on accuracy. When you set your rifle down, it's not a bad idea to have something over the muzzle to protect it. A number of the nylon gear companies make dedicated muzzle covers. I would personally prefer something a bit more sturdy than cloth, but that's better than nothing.

On the rust... First off, make sure you're cleaning your rifle properly after use, and applying a protectant. If the area in which they are stored is damp 1) find a new area to store them that isn't damp, 2) get a dessicant (sp?) block or GoldenRod dehumidifier for the cabinet/safe.

fly223
07-25-06, 11:39
Great thanks for info. I'll just in on some of the dehumidifiers this afternoon.

Thanks,
Joe....

Nitrox
07-25-06, 18:06
The crown of the muzzle is critical in a precision rifle. It's the last thing the bullet "sees" as it exits the barrel. Damage to the crown will have a detrimental effect on accuracy. When you set your rifle down, it's not a bad idea to have something over the muzzle to protect it. A number of the nylon gear companies make dedicated muzzle covers. I would personally prefer something a bit more sturdy than cloth, but that's better than nothing.

The 10FP has a recessed crown.

yrac
07-25-06, 19:24
The 10FP has a recessed crown.

As do a number of other rifles. Recessed or not, it's still smart to protect this area.

Nitrox
07-26-06, 09:21
As do a number of other rifles. Recessed or not, it's still smart to protect this area.

I'd be more concerned damaging the crown when cleaning.

yrac
07-26-06, 10:53
I'd be more concerned damaging the crown when cleaning.

I agree that damage while cleaning is a concern. However, the original question dealt with the reason one might cover the muzzle of the rifle, so mentioning other mechanisms that might pose a greater risk of muzzle damage, while useful information, does not answer fly223's original question.

Having said all of that, damage to the chamber and crown while cleaning a bolt gun can be mitigated by always using a bore guide, using a good, one-piece cleaning rod (I like Dewey rods, but there are others), always inserting the rod from the chamber, rather than the muzzle, and removing the cleaning jag from the rod so that it does not damage the muzzle as the rod is drawn back.

Razoreye
07-28-06, 12:59
I agree that damage while cleaning is a concern. However, the original question dealt with the reason one might cover the muzzle of the rifle, so mentioning other mechanisms that might pose a greater risk of muzzle damage, while useful information, does not answer fly223's original question.

Having said all of that, damage to the chamber and crown while cleaning a bolt gun can be mitigated by always using a bore guide, using a good, one-piece cleaning rod (I like Dewey rods, but there are others), always inserting the rod from the chamber, rather than the muzzle, and removing the cleaning jag from the rod so that it does not damage the muzzle as the rod is drawn back.
Precisely. Run it from the chamber, remove from end, extract rod, and repeat.

I like to make sure the crown is protected for the reasons listed above.

The cloth over the end of the barrel was an old paintball condom I had and I liked it so I just throw it over the end to protect dirt from getting in and minor scratches. I figure that since I have it I might as well throw it on.

I also keep the rifle in a hard case providing much better protection.

ETA: At the moment I was fiddling with my scope and now it's on crooked. I think the zero is still maintained but I need to make sure. Arrrgh.

bigthicket
08-04-06, 15:42
I have a 10 FP that i picked up[new] around March, so far it will shoot with my 700 VSF. It has a 1 in 10 bbl and likes the 175 gr. SMK's ok, i only have 80 rnds. thru the Savage , so far. My 700 will be for general use, i put a T-24 Weaver on the Savage and plan on trying some F-class with it, the Remy has a 10x Super Sniper, and is easier to shoot.[so far] That 24x is hard for me to get used to, when i break the shot, it seems like it is still floating around a little.:D

UNIT 6639
08-11-06, 08:46
I want to get a Savage in .308, Cant wait until I can figure out where the money from?

Where did you guys get your Savages from. I was going to get mine from Wally world.

I think their $336.99 or something like that?

fly223
08-11-06, 10:11
I purchased my Savage .308 10FP from gubroker.com for about $430.00 but if you could get one for $336.00 then go for it.

From,
Joe....

bgold
08-11-06, 10:45
If you can find one for $336.99, let me know where! I need a 10FP to keep my 12FV and 9317FV company.

Razoreye
08-11-06, 11:47
I got mine from a local gun shop for $480 or something. Slightly used but it was the exact model I wanted. Go figure, I had to get it. :)

I don't think Wal-Mart carries the FP model but you can check their catalogue I guess. I'm thinking about picking up another one but not FP, maybe the 110 or something. They're accurate and I LOVE the Accu-Trigger.

bigthicket
08-14-06, 09:59
I bought mine at a gunshow in Dallas, paid $550, out the door. I did ditch the plastic stock for a Bell & Carlson [low end] . It is more ridgid than the factory one, and midway had them on sale for $100. I backed the trigger off all i could, it is still a little heavier than my 700, but very shootable.