PDA

View Full Version : US Navy renames USS Chancellorsville (CG-62)

Slater
03-12-23, 14:39
Seems to have been a fairly low key affair. Part of the DoD-wide renaming crusade:

"This renaming honors Robert Smalls, a skilled sailor and statesman born into slavery in South Carolina."

"The decision arrived after a congressionally mandated Naming Commission outlined several military assets across all branches of service that required renaming due to confederate ties. In September 2022, Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin accepted all recommendations from the naming commission and gave each service until the end of 2023 to rename their assets."

https://www.surfpac.navy.mil/Media/News/Article/3313075/secnav-renames-ticonderoga-class-guided-missile-cruiser-uss-chancellorsville-af/

Averageman
03-12-23, 14:50
Confederate Ties?
It was the name of a famous battle you nincompoops

SomeOtherGuy
03-12-23, 14:57
Confederate Ties?
It was the name of a famous battle you nincompoops

CG-62 was commissioned in 1989 and named USS Chancellorsville (CG 62) to honor the Battle of Chancellorsville, a Confederate victory during the Civil War. CG-62 is currently assigned to Carrier Strike Group Five and is forward-deployed to Yokosuka, Japan.

If it was commissioned in 1989, then with 34 years in service I imagine it will be retired any day now. Great chance for virtue signaling with no real impact.

Averageman
03-12-23, 16:42
There were no "Victories" in the Civil War, just piles of dead misguded youths laying on battlefield after battlefield.
I remember reading about some Yankee's taking a Confederate Soldier captive, he had 8 acorns in his pocket to eat and half a canteen of dirty creek water. The Union Soldiers were lost to the fact that this guy had nothing, no land, no slaves but he fought them tooth and nail.
When asked why he fought so hard, he replied "Because your here.".

So no winners, no losers and we haven't learned anything yet.

lowprone
03-13-23, 12:20
The next one will be for the same reason , " because your here " !

Averageman
03-13-23, 12:30
The next one will be for the same reason , " because your here " !

100% Correct. Carpet Baggers from wherever you came from Beware.

Waylander
03-13-23, 13:35
There were no "Victories" in the Civil War, just piles of dead misguded youths laying on battlefield after battlefield.
I remember reading about some Yankee's taking a Confederate Soldier captive, he had 8 acorns in his pocket to eat and half a canteen of dirty creek water. The Union Soldiers were lost to the fact that this guy had nothing, no land, no slaves but he fought them tooth and nail.

I’ve heard stories passed down through relatives about the war. Yankees would slaughter horses and livestock of women and elderly where the younger men had went off to war. After the war was over, a woman was found living off on her own with a couple of kids and they had almost starved to death. She hadn’t had a way to go get supplies or grow anything so they had been living off weeds, grass, and pond water for no telling how long.

CRAMBONE
03-13-23, 21:34

Another poor boy sent to fight a rich man’s war. There’s a song along those lines.

CRAMBONE
03-13-23, 21:46
I’ve heard stories passed down through relatives about the war. Yankees would slaughter horses and livestock of women and elderly where the younger men had went off to war. After the war was over, a woman was found living off on her own with a couple of kids and they had almost starved to death. She hadn’t had a way to go get supplies or grow anything so they had been living off weeds, grass, and pond water for no telling how long.

That was all part of the U.S.’s total war against the South. Teach them a lesson, take them down a few notches and make them dependent upon the government teat.

Buncheong
03-13-23, 23:34
No way under Heaven I would serve, today. My country has been erased.

I hope to God my friends in uniform can get out ASAP. Their skills and experience will be needed in the US, soon.

Harpoon
03-14-23, 14:10
Next the Navy will name a ship after a gay man. Oh wait, they already did.

CRAMBONE
03-27-23, 22:52
Next the Navy will name a ship after a gay man. Oh wait, they already did.

Which one?

Averageman
03-28-23, 05:20
Which one?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USNS_Harvey_Milk_(T-AO-206)#:~:text=USNS%20Harvey%20Milk%20will%20be%20the%20second%20of,2018%20at%20General%20Dynamics%20NASSCO%20in%20San%20Diego.
In July 2016, Ray Mabus, then United States Secretary of the Navy, advised Congress that he intended to name the John Lewis-class oilers after prominent civil rights leaders, with this ship to be named in honor of gay rights activist Harvey Milk.[4]

C-grunt
03-28-23, 09:49
I'm just a desert rat, but isn't it like really bad luck to rename a ship? I thought that was a big no no in the maritime world.

03-28-23, 19:33
I'm just a desert rat, but isn't it like really bad luck to rename a ship? I thought that was a big no no in the maritime world.
They’ve been letting women on boats for years, so I think the ship has sailed on bad luck for the poor sea people.

Finally took Charms out of MREs, at least.

(I, too believe renaming ships is dumb)

C-grunt
03-28-23, 19:39
Finally took Charms out of MREs, at least.

Between that and the PT belt the Army will never see another casualty!

03-28-23, 19:43
Between that and the PT belt the Army will never see another casualty!

Doesn’t even rain during training anymore.

CRAMBONE
03-28-23, 23:19
So is there a USS Milk?