PDA

View Full Version : Any roofing guys out there?

ABNAK
03-14-23, 17:52
Had wind storm damage from March 3rd. Highest winds not tornado-related ever recorded in TN (like 90+ mph). Various damage but my garden shed will need it's roof replaced, shitload of shingles blew off.

Garden shed itself measures 24x16, so add a foot overhang each direction and you're looking at maybe 26x18. What would be a reasonable cost for a roof of that size (just needs re-shingled)? Don't need anything fancy, just standard shingles. I would assume it will be cheaper to have the old shingles left on and new ones placed over them (?).

utahjeepr
03-14-23, 18:04
How pretty does it need to be? Roll roofing is cheaper and holds up to wind better.

ABNAK
03-14-23, 18:14
How pretty does it need to be? Roll roofing is cheaper and holds up to wind better.

Doesn't need to be fancy at all, it's a garden shed. I would like it to at least look decent however.

I was thinking that in 2023, with everything costing more, it's gonna cost $5,000 or so. High? Low? About right?

Just Googled "roll roofing". I'm gonna say I'd prefer shingles.

utahjeepr
03-14-23, 18:25
I obviously don't know your market. Around here, for basic 3 tab shingles? About $5/sf. So you should be about $3K for a quality job. Now a lot of contractors ain't gonna touch it, too small.

If you were local I'd hook you up with some guys who would take it "on the side".

ETA: Don't know your ability, but it ain't a hard DIY. Easy afternoon of work even if you hand nail, as long as you go easy on the beer. ;)

utahjeepr
03-14-23, 18:53
On second thought that's 6 square. You are gonna be at it all day. Maybe a weekend if you haven't done it before.

ABNAK
03-14-23, 19:00
On second thought that's 6 square. You are gonna be at it all day. Maybe a weekend if you haven't done it before.

Right now (and for the next few weeks) I'm in a leg immobilizer due to an MCL repair 3 weeks ago. Allowed 30 degrees now, will go to 60 next week. I'm not seeing me up on a ladder and/or roof anytime soon, and I'd like to get it done before we have more Spring rain. I'm gonna have to pay for it, but there will be some insurance money.

So you're guessing about $3K huh? I agree about the "too small don't bother with it" attitude of roofing companies, especially with quite a few roofs needing repair in this area from that storm.

utahjeepr
03-14-23, 19:09
with quite a few roofs needing repair in this area from that storm.

Crap, I didn't think of that. I don't wanna defend predatory pricing, but anytime there is a lot of damage like this the prices go up. It is unfortunate but it is true.

Buckaroo
03-14-23, 23:18
I obviously don't know your market. Around here, for basic 3 tab shingles? About $5/sf. So you should be about $3K for a quality job. Now a lot of contractors ain't gonna touch it, too small.

If you were local I'd hook you up with some guys who would take it "on the side".

ETA: Don't know your ability, but it ain't a hard DIY. Easy afternoon of work even if you hand nail, as long as you go easy on the beer. ;)

This!

THCDDM4
03-14-23, 23:20
$3k-$5K is a good budget to work with for what you’ve described.
PM me where you are in TN and I’ll ask around to some reps about reputable roofers in your area to try and get you connected with.