PDA

View Full Version : A tale of two uppers

odugrad
03-17-23, 16:06
Can anyone tell me what the differences are between these two uppers? I called Optics Planet and they weren't sure. They said the DD upper with the Surefire flash hider wasn't available any more.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/daniel-defense-opticsplanet-custom-upper-receiver-14-5-in-1-7-twist-mil-spec.html

26 Inf
03-17-23, 22:54
That's weird - neither description mentions the sure-fire, they both talk about the DD extended bidcage.

Several comments mention that they didn't get the device they wanted, one guy said:

There are two problems though worth noting… The first is the muzzle device debacle; the description does not stay up to date with the item being shipped; many comments show receiving one with a A2 birdcage type, but the description said a Sure Fire device; The description was changed to indicate that fact, and I wanted the birdcage device, but I received one with the SureFire device instead.

So, it would be my SWAG that the more expensive upper did have a SF device, but for some reason they screwed something up in the picking and shipping area and we're shipping whichever the picker grabbed.

The price difference is just about the price difference between a DD extended birdcage ($55 list) and a SF 3P ($99 list).

Hmmm...

titsonritz
03-17-23, 23:01
Good ol' Optics Planet, clear as mud.

RHINOWSO
03-18-23, 08:59
OpticsPlanet... nuf said...

Best thing to do is search for the part / item number to get a real description of what you might get.

TMS951
03-18-23, 10:24
Can anyone tell me what the differences are between these two uppers? I called Optics Planet and they weren't sure. They said the DD upper with the Surefire flash hider wasn't available any more.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/daniel-defense-opticsplanet-custom-upper-receiver-14-5-in-1-7-twist-mil-spec.html

The cheaper one says “cerakote” and it’s skew implies it’s the first optics planet upper. The more expensive one has a skew implying it’s the second upper like this, but no mention of cerakote. I’d assume it’s all anodized. It looks darker in the photo.

w3453l
03-19-23, 09:59
There's too many vendors that have their $*** together to be wasting time with Optics Planet.

I had two not so great experiences with them recently. The first was for a set of Peltors that were "In Stock". It took them close to two weeks to ship. I don't understand how a company so big as Optics Planet needs two weeks to ship something that was "In Stock".

The second was a Steiner P4Xi with the PT3R reticle that was listed at $499 (That is a low price for what they go for today). They had an identical one that was listed at $700 or $800, I can't remember but the product descriptions were identical so I used their CS chat feature.

The employee didn't end up knowing, and pushed the question up. I eventually got an answer that the more expensive on included some magnifier (this was no where in the product description). I ended up putting the lower priced one in my cart. The next day when I went to check out they raised the "sale" price to $700. I emailed asking if they would honor the $500 price I had in my shopping cart and they said no, so I ended up not buying it.

They said prices were subject to change at any time, which is fine. I just didn't want to spend that kind of money with a vendor that can't seem to do the simple things. I don't want to imagine having to use a warranty/return with them.

Kind of off topic, but I figured it might save you some headache.

ETA: I got an email from them to review my last purchase (the Peltors), I wrote about the shipping taking abnormally long for something in stock. I got a follow up email from them saying my review was "rejected" and would not be posted on the page.

Pappabear
03-19-23, 15:32
Don’t buy anything from optics planet. I got lucky with a couple of mounts but in general it’s risky. Very risky.

PB

HKGuns
03-19-23, 15:34
Don’t buy anything from optics planet. I got lucky with a couple of mounts but in general it’s risky. Very risky.

PB

Seconded.

Sidneyious
03-19-23, 15:46
OpticsPlanet... nuf said...

Best thing to do is search for the part / item number to get a real description of what you might get.This 100%

I had a issue with them about a Harris bipod.
Like yo the picture of the one I ordered had a traditional bipod mount but had a mlok adapter.

Like sweet I could use any bipod under the sun if I didn't like the Harris.

Well I got one that was a direct mlok mount with no swivel just can't..

The headache I got trying to explain to them about this made me so angry.

odugrad
03-19-23, 19:19
Didn't see these responses until it was too late. That looked like a great price on a DD upper (even for the one with the DD flash hider) so I pulled the trigger. I'll let you know how things go.

Hank6046
03-19-23, 20:29

Yes on has the surefire 3 prong the other has a DD Birdcage type, that's the difference. I have the surefire 3 Prong DD upper from OP, except I didn't pay the $1k for it.

titsonritz
03-20-23, 20:52
Didn't see these responses until it was too late. That looked like a great price on a DD upper (even for the one with the DD flash hider) so I pulled the trigger. I'll let you know how things go.

Please do, it would be nice to know if they are still consistently full of shit.

RHINOWSO
03-20-23, 20:59
The headache I got trying to explain to them about this made me so angry.

Yeah they aren't gun people. Last time I ordered I got a demo scope with the wrong reticle in the box of the correct scope. They made it right but it took awhile.

odugrad
03-21-23, 08:37
Got an email confirming that it shipped. Should be here in a couple days. So far so good.

Pappabear
03-21-23, 10:58
They don’t make 100% errors so you might get lucky. Just way too many. Hope your shit is spot on.

PB

TMS951
03-21-23, 16:23
Got an email confirming that it shipped. Should be here in a couple days. So far so good.

Did you buy the cheaper one (cerakote) and do you think it’s going to have a SF flash hider on it or not?

Interested to see what you got. I maintain neither have the pictures surefire and the cheaper one has a cerakoted receiver.

Hank6046
03-22-23, 19:57
Here is what the Optics Planet DD 14.5 with Pinned SF 3 Prong looks like, the other version just has the DD version of their birdcage, but otherwise is the same.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52764602687_a83137bf7b_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2ooCo66)Dd (https://flic.kr/p/2ooCo66) by Hank Henry (https://www.flickr.com/photos/132384736@N03/), on Flickr

I picked this up on Black Friday sales for around $850 I think, great little upper for that price

odugrad
03-23-23, 09:00
I ordered the less expensive one. Either way I think it's a fantastic deal on a Daniel Defense upper.

odugrad
03-25-23, 19:06
Upper came in. It's the one with the DD flash hider. It's a great looking upper. Looks like DD's version of the URGI. I think it's a fantastic deal on a DD upper.