PDA

View Full Version : AR cleaning

Holty
12-28-08, 15:24
what basic items do i need to purchase to disassemble and clean my new AR? What does everyone like to clean with and where should i go to get this stuff online? links would be great, but i don't mind the legwork i just don't know what i'm looking for. i DO have a mtm range box coming that has a place to rest the rifle while i clean it, so that is covered. i have no cleaning rods, or brushes, etc and don't know what to get.

45r
12-28-08, 15:34
You will need the following

Cleaning solution of your choice (I just WeaponShield)
.22 Caliber Patches
.22 Caliber cleaning rod
.22 caliber jag (optional)
.22 caliber brush
Pick/Scrapper and toothbrush
Chamber Brush for 5.56

Otis kits and boresnakes work well for cleaning the barrel also.

All of these things can be found at your local Wally World. (Except the WS cleaner and otis kit)

XXXBadd DaddyXXX
12-28-08, 15:37
what basic items do i need to purchase to disassemble and clean my new AR? What does everyone like to clean with and where should i go to get this stuff online? links would be great, but i don't mind the legwork i just don't know what i'm looking for. i DO have a mtm range box coming that has a place to rest the rifle while i clean it, so that is covered. i have no cleaning rods, or brushes, etc and don't know what to get.

Get a bore snake, an AR bore brush, it's the brass brush w/ the fat end that steps down to the 5.56/.223 brush, and always use Break Free lube, it is great as it cleans and lubercates. Some nylon, and brass brushes would'nt hurt either. After some hard use you might want to get a bolt scraping tool to get fouling deposits off.

Iraqgunz
12-28-08, 15:41
Get a bore snake, an AR bore brush, it's the brass brush w/ the fat end that steps down to the 5.56/.223 brush, and always use Break Free lube, it is great as it cleans and lubercates. Some nylon, and brass brushes would'nt hurt either. After some hard use you might want to get a bolt scraping tool to get fouling deposits off.

The brush that you are describing is a chamber brush. A bore brush goes into the barrel.

You may want to consider some powder solvent and copper remover. The Barretts Copper Gel works real good.

RogerinTPA
12-28-08, 15:49
There's good info on a parallel thread here. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=5074

XXXBadd DaddyXXX
12-28-08, 16:33
The brush that you are describing is a chamber brush. A bore brush goes into the barrel.

You may want to consider some powder solvent and copper remover. The Barretts Copper Gel works real good.

DUH!:rolleyes: At lest the discription was right.

Iraqgunz
12-28-08, 16:42
Just wanted to clarify since he is new to the AR15 and may not know what he is looking and asking for.

DUH!:rolleyes: At lest the discription was right.