PDA

View Full Version : Anderson Mfg hits the big time

JediGuy
03-19-23, 12:05
Linking to my source rather than stealing the picture.

Summary: Picture of UKRAINE forces training with an Anderson AR.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ar15/comments/11de2x9/wait_minute_picture_from_the_economist/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=ioscss&utm_content=2&utm_term=1

Hammer_Man
03-19-23, 22:14
Those poor Ukrainians..

Hank6046
03-19-23, 22:19
Well, if they end up losing the war, I've got a ready made excuse

Cokie
03-19-23, 23:22
Linking to my source rather than stealing the picture.

Summary: Picture of UKRAINE forces training with an Anderson AR.

jUSt aS GoOd! MiL-sPeC juST mEAnS thE LoWeSt biDDeR!

Stickman
03-20-23, 09:04
I would rather take an Anderson into combat, than nothing at all.

markm
03-20-23, 09:06
American Mediocrity wrecking other countries now too!!! How is it these dog shit companies weasel their way into these foreign crisis situations.

Clint
03-20-23, 09:25
Also, Poverty Pony stripped lowers are on sale for $40...

Diamondback
03-20-23, 10:00

Even the M1 Pointy Stick beats going emptyhanded... unless you're Chuck Norris or similar tier. Hell, all you need is a boxcutter and the drop on one of the vodka-swilling barbarians. Knife in his kidney, and his rifle's yours, just keep looking for opportunities to "trade up" for yourself and your squadmates... this was also the thinking behind dumping gazillions of crap FP45 Liberators into Occupied Europe.

Andersons are the FP45 of the AR world. I have one because it was all a local gun-forum operator could get for a site fundraiser, but for real work I stick to Aero minimum... at least until Dogshit Pedo Jay gets his "parts and assembly" ban rammed through in the next few days to weeks. Seriously, if WA state gov REALLY wanted to address the biggest threat to public safety they'd perform mass seppuku...

5.56Geo
03-20-23, 10:26
The pictured Anderson AR's are sporting the new Anderson invisible magazines! They must be training pictures with no magazines inserted. I agree with Stickman, "I would rather take an Anderson into combat, than nothing at all.".

Hank6046
03-20-23, 10:33
I agree with Stickman, "I would rather take an Anderson into combat, than nothing at all.".

I would also agree, when I worked at the gunshop/range we would rent out a Delton 1/9 twist with no M4 feed ramps and that still went north of 30k rounds before the barrel finally gave out, granted that was in an indoor range under maintenance schedule with ideal conditions

JediGuy
03-20-23, 11:44
Also, Poverty Pony stripped lowers are on sale for $40...

$30 over the weekend, I think…

TMS951
03-20-23, 12:10
Lol, looks like everyone’s poverty pony just became a war horse.

Hammer_Man
03-20-23, 13:27
Does this mean we all need to start cloning Andersons?

Ned Christiansen
03-20-23, 15:48
In my own network and extended network I have never heard of any actual trouble with Anderson lowers. My personal experience with them is very limited, limited to people in said network putting guns together on Anderson receivers, people who are not necessarily experts. But I have inspected several of these now, over the last, I think, five years, and there has been no issue with anything due to "Anderson". Anderson's other stuff, I don't really know. I mean I know Anderson receivers don't say "Colt" on them and they don't cost enough to be any good, but.... in my limited experience they also don't seem to be bad. What have I missed?

556Cliff
03-20-23, 16:31
In my own network and extended network I have never heard of any actual trouble with Anderson lowers. My personal experience with them is very limited, limited to people in said network putting guns together on Anderson receivers, people who are not necessarily experts. But I have inspected several of these now, over the last, I think, five years, and there has been no issue with anything due to "Anderson". Anderson's other stuff, I don't really know. I mean I know Anderson receivers don't say "Colt" on them and they don't cost enough to be any good, but.... in my limited experience they also don't seem to be bad. What have I missed?

I haven't had any issues with them either, only a couple minor annoyances, but that's about it.

Minor annoyances being: The grip screw hole not being threaded all the way through on older examples and the grip and safety needing to be removed to install and remove triggers.

Also, in the category of "not really an issue" is the original mechanically engraved logo, it just looks not good... However, the newer laser engraved logo looks decent enough IMO. They are still engraving them both ways though.

prepare
03-20-23, 16:57
Primary Arms had them for $29 dollars this weekend for a stripped lower.

m1a_scoutguy
03-20-23, 18:54
In my own network and extended network I have never heard of any actual trouble with Anderson lowers. My personal experience with them is very limited, limited to people in said network putting guns together on Anderson receivers, people who are not necessarily experts. But I have inspected several of these now, over the last, I think, five years, and there has been no issue with anything due to "Anderson". Anderson's other stuff, I don't really know. I mean I know Anderson receivers don't say "Colt" on them and they don't cost enough to be any good, but.... in my limited experience, they also don't seem bad. What have I missed?

Well, when ya really think about it maybe we are just overpaying for Brand name and recognition! 7075 Forged, Type 3 Hard Anodized,I would assume if your Colt, BCM, LMT LPK goes in with 0 issues then who is the sap here,, LOL I have no Anderson lowers, but maybe we have been wrong all along! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

bobcatdriver
03-20-23, 19:38
I did a build last year for my son in law with an Anderson upper & lower. He texted me a couple weeks ago that he was at 7500 rds and counting. It went together slick as snot, no issues. But what the hell do I know?

Animalhd1
03-20-23, 20:06

This quote will become famous. Bravo Stick!

titsonritz
03-20-23, 20:34
Primary Arms had them for $29 dollars this weekend for a stripped lower.

I remember once upon a time you could get them for $19.99, looking back I probably should have dropped a bill.

titsonritz
03-20-23, 20:38

Not even from Will Larson? I know you knew him.

Hammer_Man
03-20-23, 21:18
I bought a couple Anderson lowers years ago, and one of them was out of spec so bad that I sold both of them off to a buddy of mine.

titsonritz
03-20-23, 21:21
I bought a couple Anderson lowers years ago, and one of them was out of spec so bad that I sold both of them off to a buddy of mine.

So what you're saying is you're a dick.

26 Inf
03-20-23, 21:31
From the M4C past:

AndyLate
03-20-23, 22:54
I have one Anderson lower, purchased when I was first getting into building ARs. It's OK, but finish is noticeable poorer than other (yes more expensive) lowers. Personally, it's worth the cost for a nicer lower but I appreciate the low end manufacturers for making the AR affordable and ubiquitous.

Andy

rpoL98
03-21-23, 02:31
i'd bet we paid for those, you-and-me, US tax-payer dollars generously Biden-gifted to Ukraine.

Hammer_Man
03-21-23, 10:16
So what you're saying is you're a dick.

I told him all about the issues the one lower had, he said he wanted them anyway.

Hammer_Man
03-21-23, 10:25
i'd bet we paid for those, you-and-me, US tax-payer dollars generously Biden-gifted to Ukraine.

Maybe they were donated by Anderson, or a distributor here? If not, it makes me wonder why, when Uncle Sam buys Colt M4s for about $700 a piece. I’m sure there are a bunch of pre A1 models sitting in a depot somewhere they could ship over there for what the Andersons are costing them.

bobcatdriver
03-21-23, 10:41
I told him all about the issues the one lower had, he said he wanted them anyway.

And how are they working out for him?

Jstud220
03-21-23, 10:54
I own one Anderson lower. I bought it stripped and assembled it with a SOLGW lower parts kit and buffer assembled. Also put a magpul moe + grip on it with a magpul moe SL stock on it. That’s probably the only part of an “Anderson” I’d trust for real use although I have a few other lowers I’d take over it.

MegademiC
03-21-23, 11:55
From the M4C past:

Poverty Pony to Majestic Mustang

-hilarious name found in the redit thread

Uncas47
03-21-23, 14:12
I hope they smoke some scumbags with them.

titsonritz
03-21-23, 14:23
That settles it, I'm getting an Anderson carbine with a Holosun RDS, if it is good enough for Ukraine it is good enough for me.

RUTGERS95
03-22-23, 21:05

spot on

some of the comments here are absurd

rpoL98
03-22-23, 21:17
maybe Anderson should come out with a "Slava Ukraine" version, with cyrillic markings for SAFE, SEMI, and FULL-SEMI.

sorta like what PSA does, to capture the historical moment.

Ned Christiansen
03-22-23, 23:59
Not even from Will Larson? I know you knew him.

We discussed a lot of things but Anderson Receivers was never one of them.

prepare
03-23-23, 03:26
Isn't Anderson a OEM of parts for other brands?

hoopharted
03-24-23, 06:17
Anderson was my entry into ARs , still have it and still shoot it , changed a bit , put a Hogue FF carbine length HG on it , Strike industries mod 1 butt , hogue over mold grip ,Aero ambi charging and Leupold Feedom RDS , never understood the disdain for them ,always figured what ever turned so many off of them happened when i was still a die hard AK guy because my Anderson has given me zero complaints

so what exactly is the issue everyone has with them , is it DD or nothing mentality or is there a substantial legitimate gripe , just curios , asked before elsewhere a few times and either it gets ignored or its someone bragging about their overpriced gucci

556Cliff
03-24-23, 10:15
Anderson was my entry into ARs , still have it and still shoot it , changed a bit , put a Hogue FF carbine length HG on it , Strike industries mod 1 butt , hogue over mold grip ,Aero ambi charging and Leupold Feedom RDS , never understood the disdain for them ,always figured what ever turned so many off of them happened when i was still a die hard AK guy because my Anderson has given me zero complaints

so what exactly is the issue everyone has with them , is it DD or nothing mentality or is there a substantial legitimate gripe , just curios , asked before elsewhere a few times and either it gets ignored or its someone bragging about their overpriced gucci

As far as their stripped lowers, it seems that most of the major issues that people had with them were all prior to 2016. I really haven't heard many complaints since.

Uncas47
03-24-23, 18:15
I had an Anderson lower ($40.00) a few years ago. Stuffed it with Colt parts from SA, screwed a Colt RE into it, H2 buffer and Colt spring. I had a 6920 upper at the time that I put on it and ran it alongside my other Colts. Blindfolded you would not be able to pick it out. It went in a multi layered gun trade last year with a friend who still has it.

The_War_Wagon
03-24-23, 19:54
I have a snowflake lower with Daniel Defense internals.

pinzgauer
03-25-23, 09:05
I had an Anderson lower ($40.00) a few years ago. Stuffed it with Colt parts from SA, screwed a Colt RE into it, H2 buffer and Colt spring. I had a 6920 upper at the time that I put on it and ran it alongside my other Colts. Blindfolded you would not be able to pick it out. It went in a multi layered gun trade last year with a friend who still has it.Friends and I over the years have bought multiple Anderson lowers which were built into carbines with absolutely no issues. Every one of them is still running. One LGS here in Atlanta nearly always had them $30 to $35 in their big sales. I think the cheapest I ever bought one was for $25.

Just hard to argue with a $30 to $40 lower that works.

Visually I can tell a slight difference in the hard coat between aero precision and Anderson. The Anderson is a bit more matte, but so are colts.

I don't use other Anderson components for a variety of reasons. The biggest of which is they're not on sale and I can get better components for the same price.

I don't build lowers that much anymore, but I think people obsess too much over rollmarks and lowers instead of the things that really matter.

prepare
03-25-23, 09:54
I purchased one the Anderson stripped lowers from Primary Arms for $29. It gauged out fine and the ano/finish looks good.

DG23
03-25-23, 09:59
I purchased one the Anderson stripped lowers from Primary Arms for $29. It gauged out fine and the ano/finish looks good.

Taking you off the friends list bro. :)

If you wanna be the guy riding the Honda to the Harley bar you go right ahead but I am going to pretend to not know you! :)

prepare
03-25-23, 10:20
For $29 bucks if it was out of spec I wouldn't feel bad about trashing it.

jwfuhrman
03-25-23, 11:27
Anderson is also one of the few I believe that offers a M16 cut pocket lower for a cheap price.

pinzgauer
03-25-23, 12:13
Folks also have conveniently short memories... Remember the excitement over KAC stripped lowers?

They produced a pretty big batch of clearly out of spec lowers, but I'm pretty sure any of us would buy a KAC manufactured one if available.

I've moved past accumulating cheap lowers... But I think people focus too hard on lower quality and not enough on the rest of the parts.

rpoL98
03-25-23, 12:59
Folks also have conveniently short memories... Remember the excitement over KAC stripped lowers?

They produced a pretty big batch of clearly out of spec lowers, but I'm pretty sure any of us would buy a cat manufactured one if available.

I've moved past accumulating cheap lowers... But I think people focus too hard on lower quality and not enough on the rest of the parts.

no, not from a cat. nor a dog.

docsherm
03-25-23, 13:08
I have 5 Andersson Arms lowers, three are even SBRs. I have not had any issues at all with them. Matter of fact I have never actually seen a stripped Anderson Arms lower out of spec........ Seen two KAC ones that you couldn't even get trigger pins in, but never an Anderson Arms one.

prepare
03-25-23, 13:33
I don’t know who they OEM for but pretty sure they make stuff for other brands.

TMS951
03-25-23, 13:56
I have one majestic mustang lower and it was all inspec.

I used it for a rifle I wanted to try my hand at doing a 4 color camo pattern with stencils. Came out great. Didn’t want to risk a nice lower though.

RobertTheTexan
03-25-23, 21:37
Seen two KAC ones that you couldn't even get trigger pins in, but never an Anderson Arms one.

You rang?

And careful, I had to sell a couple to pay for therapy to get over that.

hoopharted
03-26-23, 05:32
As far as their stripped lowers, it seems that most of the major issues that people had with them were all prior to 2016. I really haven't heard many complaints since.

well fine , so they had a issue 7 years ago that was corrected , no one is claiming they are top shelf , and how long does the statute of limitations run on a bad run of milled lowers , does it mean they are condemned to be trash in perpetuity , i think allot of it is people that paid stupid money on a name feel obligated to kick brands through the mud when they are fine but cost less just to make themselves feel better

pinzgauer
03-26-23, 06:56
no, not from a cat. nor a dog.I will not use them, Sam I am!

(Typo corrected)

SteyrAUG
03-30-23, 01:14
Anderson isn't a real fighting gun until a Khyber Pass version exists.

hoopharted
04-02-23, 18:14
Anderson isn't a real fighting gun until a Khyber Pass version exists.

i think you all need to get over yourselves ,its like your learning yoga so you can smell your ball sack , you're not looking ay them correctly, they are a entry level rifle , you are comparing them to over priced rifles because you own them , i have rifles excess a couple G's too but i see the Anderson rifle for what it is and dont try and hold it to a standard that its not intended , i think they are a great solid rifle for the money and entry

SteyrAUG
04-02-23, 23:05
i think you all need to get over yourselves ,its like your learning yoga so you can smell your ball sack , you're not looking ay them correctly, they are a entry level rifle , you are comparing them to over priced rifles because you own them , i have rifles excess a couple G's too but i see the Anderson rifle for what it is and dont try and hold it to a standard that its not intended , i think they are a great solid rifle for the money and entry

LOL. Somebody doesn't know what a Khyber Pass gun is.

rpoL98
04-02-23, 23:18
LOL. Somebody doesn't know what a Khyber Pass gun is.ok, i'll profess ignorance, since I don't operate, don't even LARP.

is that one of those long-barreled wooden-stocked rifles, leave-behinds from British colonial days, festooned with chrome thumbtacks stuck into every square inch of real estate?

or one of those Pakistani AK-47 knock-offs hand-hammered and bent on the dirt floor of some Peshawar bicycle shop? minute of barn, might blow up or fall apart.

26 Inf
04-03-23, 00:44
ok, i'll profess ignorance, since I don't operate, don't even LARP.

is that one of those long-barreled wooden-stocked rifles, leave-behinds from British colonial days, festooned with chrome thumbtacks stuck into every square inch of real estate?

or one of those Pakistani AK-47 knock-offs hand-hammered and bent on the dirt floor of some Peshawar bicycle shop? minute of barn, might blow up or fall apart.

He's saying until they are popular enough to be copied by these guys: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khyber_Pass_copy

rpoL98
04-03-23, 00:54
okay, I was close, Peshawar area. I think Dara Adam Khel is another place famous (notorious) for that. south of Peshawar.

ViniVidivici
04-03-23, 08:42
To add to the body of knowledge and experience here, we have one in the stable built on an Anderson lower (see what I did there) and it's always run like a sewing machine.

the AR-15 Junkie
04-03-23, 12:48

I recently took an Anderson lower, installed Pin gauges in all 6 holes and matched it up to a Colt lower and all 6 pins went perfectly in, so basically they were pinned together. All 6 holes drilled in exact locations. That was just 1 test I did. With tight fitting pin gauges of different sizes and all 6 matching exactly I was surprised to be honest how the 2 lowers slid together with no binding.

Pappabear
04-03-23, 14:59
I bought a couple of "pistol" lowers from Aero when lowers where unobtainable. Still sitting in a the boxes. How does the Aero lowers hold up compared to other low end gear?

PB

C-grunt
04-03-23, 16:05
I bought a couple of "pistol" lowers from Aero when lowers where unobtainable. Still sitting in a the boxes. How does the Aero lowers hold up compared to other low end gear?

PB

Ive had good luck with the 2 or 3 that Ive had before. I dont think I have them anymore though.

I did have bad luck with Anderson lowers before. That was during the timeframe that a previous poster said they were known to have issues. IraqGunz was able to do his magic and get them up and running. He then verbally bullied me until I got rid of them. HAHAHA.

The last few cheap lowers Ive bought have been from PSA and they've been fine.

JediGuy
04-03-23, 17:07
Pappa, I ran into an Aero lower that had improperly drilled hammer pin holes (as I recall). The hammer wouldn’t freely rotate. Aero sent me a new lower. Overall, they have been considered a step above Anderson and PSA. That said, my PSA SBR still runs, and the most accurate rifle in a class over the weekend was built on an Anderson lower.

georgeib
04-04-23, 10:13
Isn't Aero the OEM for a bunch of different manufacturers lowers, including PSA?