PDA

View Full Version : WTF? My Glock 22 broke!

wargasm
12-28-08, 22:06
I was at the range today to get in my final shooting sessions for 2008. When I finally got to my handguns, while shooting my G22, I drew from my holster, aimed, and "click". Nothing. Nada. I made safe and cleared my weapon, and noticed that the slide looked a bit higher in the rear. I removed the slide and examined the rear portion of the receiver, and saw the problem. The stainless "ears" on the rear of the receiver both broke off. I have considered this weapon my "go to" gun, and one which I carry concealed on a regular basis. I have only run around 3000 rounds through it, and was looking forward to a lengthy career for it. Has anyone else experienced the same problem in either the short or long term with their G22? Should I consider another Glock in a different caliber, or should I go with another brand? (My secondary handgun is a XD45 Tactical) Mahalo for any positive input!

John_Wayne777
12-28-08, 22:17
Pics would be nice....

...but broken frame rails are not unheard of on .40 caliber Glocks.

The first thing you should do is send it to Glock to see what they say about it. Hopefully they'll replace the frame free of charge.

As far as what else you should consider, 9mm Glocks have a much better reliability record than the .40 caliber Glocks. M&P's are good options as well.

EDIT --

You say you have 3000 rounds through it...but when did you buy the pistol? Was it new or used when you bought it? Generation 2 or Generation 3?

CLHC
12-28-08, 22:19
That's too bad. Sure would like to know what's up, and with only three-thousand rounds? :confused: Any pictures?

hoveyh
12-28-08, 22:25
Pics for sure on this .......

Man ... Glocks break. SIG's break, HK's break and XD's Surely break... even well built 1911's eventually break......... contact the maker.

Post their willingness to take care of you.

H

cathellsk
12-28-08, 23:38
Does the serial number begin with an E? If so, this is a known problem and Glock will replace your frame free of charge.

natdm
12-29-08, 00:28
Should I consider another Glock in a different caliber, or should I go with another brand?

I'm an HK guy, not to say I don't like glocks as well. But just because yours broke, it doesn't mean the rest of the 22's you'll ever get will break in the same way. You had a bad one. If you liked it for the 3000rds you fired, then get another one. Do a little research and see if there's any glock 22's with manufacturer defects and don't get those.

There's some test here or on TOS that went on with an SW M&P. The slide cracked before the test was done. I don't consider that THE test for M&P's, just a test. Yours isn't THE problem, it's just a problem.

wargasm
12-29-08, 01:35
Does the serial number begin with an E? If so, this is a known problem and Glock will replace your frame free of charge.

Much Mahalo! My SN does begin with an "E". I will surely contact Glock and arrange for my G22 to receive the necessary repairs. I very much appreciate your clear, concise, and to the point positive input! Hauoli Makahiki Hou!

kaltblitz
12-29-08, 01:47
As stated above, there was a bad batch in the "E" series handguns. Glock did a recall where they replaced the frame for free. I had one of these guns and basically just sent it back to the factory on Glock's dime and they sent me a new frame and gun. The only pain was that I had to re DROS the gun with the new serial number. Call Glock and they'll take care of you.

ToddG
12-29-08, 10:14
This problem is not limited to .40-cal Glocks, though it seems more prevalent with them.

Your experience serves as a good reminder to everyone that no matter how many rounds your favorite gun has fired, there is no guarantee it will go one more. While I'm as guilty of this as anyone, the fact is that if you had been inspecting your gun after every range session you would have discovered the crack immediately rather than having your "go to" gun in your holster, broken, incapable of firing.

Too often, we (and I do mean we not you) get overconfident in our favorite toys and forget that they're fragile and fickle.

There's some test here or on TOS that went on with an SW M&P. The slide cracked before the test was done.

Are you talking about my test (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=14060)? There are some key details that you left out, like the fact the gun went over sixty-two thousand rounds (in less than eight months) before the slide cracked. Furthermore, it's incorrect to say the gun broke before the test was "done." The test was supposed to go to 50k. Two parts broke in that time: a spring that should be replaced every 10k (but wasn't) broke at around 37k, and a lever that is also supposed to be replaced every 10k (but wasn't) broke around 43k. We decided to keep shooting the gun until it broke, and it broke at 62,333 ... though unlike in the OP's case, the gun continues to function.

Stretz Tactical Inc
12-29-08, 10:30
Todd is right. It is not limited to 40's. It was glocks made within a certain serial number range back in I believe late 2001. I read a teletype in mid to late 2002 about the defective batch of reciever's, in which the rails would brake. The teletype was from a law enforcement agency, I believe in the mid west, That experienced the problem with some of their glocks. I had just purchased a new glock 23 that fell into that serial number range. When I called Glock, the guy told me "we could replace the frame for you, but there is really no need. We have a gun here at the factory that is missing a rail and it has over 250,000 rounds through it with no problem." I told he in a nice way that he was out of his mind and they shipped a new frame - with a modified serial number to me and then I sent the old frame back to them.

Glock doesn't advertise problems like this, so word of mouth is unfortunately the only way to find out. Glock customer service will always play down problems. I had my old NYPD issue Glock 19, that experienced a phase 3 malfunction when I worked for NYPD. A few years after I left, NYPD forced Glock to come to NY, set up shop and modify the slides on the 19's to fix the malfunction problem. Glock refused to let me bring my gun down to them at the NYPD range to fix it, since I was no longer a city cop and there was no need to modify the gun, "we are only doing this to passify our biggest customer".

ToddG
12-29-08, 10:45
When I called Glock, the guy told me "we could replace the frame for you, but there is really no need. We have a gun here at the factory that is missing a rail and it has over 250,000 rounds through it with no problem."

I call BS on that.

Customer service folks from other companies have made similar claims so this is not directed solely at Glock, but it's criminal when employees spout this kind of crap.

If the guns will go a quarter million rounds (:rolleyes:) with a missing rail, why did they replace so many guns for free? Why did the OP's gun fail?

Here's a better approach: "Crap, we're really sorry. Normally this doesn't shut the gun down but obviously we're happy to replace it for you completely at our expense as quickly as possible."

Detmongo
12-29-08, 11:36
war,
i had the same thing happen on my g19. a check of my gun log revealed that at the time of the failure of the left rear rail the gun had 110,000 rds thru it. most of which was +p or +p+. as a side note as soon as discovered the rail missing i put an additional 100 rds of 124 gr. +p glod thru it with no issues. the whole gun was returned to glock, and they replaced the frame. it took about two months.

El Mac
12-29-08, 12:09
I was at the range today to get in my final shooting sessions for 2008. When I finally got to my handguns, while shooting my G22, I drew from my holster, aimed, and "click". Nothing. Nada. I made safe and cleared my weapon, and noticed that the slide looked a bit higher in the rear. I removed the slide and examined the rear portion of the receiver, and saw the problem. The stainless "ears" on the rear of the receiver both broke off. I have considered this weapon my "go to" gun, and one which I carry concealed on a regular basis. I have only run around 3000 rounds through it, and was looking forward to a lengthy career for it. Has anyone else experienced the same problem in either the short or long term with their G22? Should I consider another Glock in a different caliber, or should I go with another brand? (My secondary handgun is a XD45 Tactical) Mahalo for any positive input!

Yes...

Stretz Tactical Inc
12-29-08, 13:08
war,
i had the same thing happen on my g19. a check of my gun log revealed that at the time of the failure of the left rear rail the gun had 110,000 rds thru it. most of which was +p or +p+. as a side note as soon as discovered the rail missing i put an additional 100 rds of 124 gr. +p glod thru it with no issues. the whole gun was returned to glock, and they replaced the frame. it took about two months.

Thats nuts! 2 months? They sent me the new frame (frame only), I switched out the slide etc. and mailed them the old frame. I had it in a few days. You got screwed!

Detmongo
12-29-08, 15:36
kcs,
no not really i had a loaner from the dept., so a shot the shit out of it until mine came back.

mario
12-29-08, 15:53
Fortunately Glocks customer service is about the best in the business and they'll replace the frame at N/C. When you call ask them to issue you a call tag so you don't have to pay shipping

shootmovecomm
12-29-08, 15:59
wargasm,

I have never heard of Glock Inc. in Smyrna not providing an immediate frame replacement for that issue. This was also a problem with the M19. Recently (past three weeks) I purchased an M19 that was a police trade in. Sent it to Glock for refenishing and refurbishment. A week after sending the pistol to tech services they ran the serial number and informed me that it qualified for the "free frame replacement program" as they dubbed it. Stating that the run of pistols that one was released with has had the same issues. It is going to take about 4weeks to get the new frame in. I have been using M22's and 23's in service for about nine years now and have literally beat the piss out of them and brought one to catastrophic failure after at least 100,000 rounds. Glock replaced the weapon at no cost.

Refurbishment with Glock consists of them going completely through the weapon and replacing all parts (except barrel and frame unless it falls into free replacement category). This weapon came with a piece of crap laser max guide rod that they are pulling and replacing it with a stock Glock guide rod. The cost of total refurbishment and refinish is around $50.00. I have had NO complaints with their customer service and operational field support. It beats a sharp stick in the eye.

Sam
12-29-08, 16:03
Your G22 didn't break, it's your imagination.

Seriously, send it in, they'll fix it, just don't tell anybody.

natdm
12-29-08, 17:04
Are you talking about my test (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=14060)? There are some key details that you left out, like the fact the gun went over sixty-two thousand rounds (in less than eight months) before the slide cracked. Furthermore, it's incorrect to say the gun broke before the test was "done." The test was supposed to go to 50k. Two parts broke in that time: a spring that should be replaced every 10k (but wasn't) broke at around 37k, and a lever that is also supposed to be replaced every 10k (but wasn't) broke around 43k. We decided to keep shooting the gun until it broke, and it broke at 62,333 ... though unlike in the OP's case, the gun continues to function.

Sure am. And I guess I read that the slide cracked at 37 while skimming it. Same point, different facts - one gun doesn't necessarily reflect all of them.

NCPatrolAR
12-29-08, 18:24
Only Glock that I've had any issues with has been my 19. Broke two trigger springs in a 6 month time span.

Ricardus
12-29-08, 18:45
For a while there, Bud's Gun Shop was offering factory refurbished Glock 22s with the warranty and 3 magazines under $400. I think they had night sights, I was real tempted but I had made the decision to get a CZ 75 SP-01 in .40S&W. The damned thing is solid and no rails:D

Matt Edwards
12-29-08, 19:08
No matter what type, what caliber, or what brand, no matter what the round count, your pistol may only be ONE round away from field stripping it's self. Welcome to the "I broke a Glock" club. They will warrant it.

HK45
12-29-08, 20:11
One of our Rangemasters at my gun club had the rail break on his Glock 23. It was an E-series so he sent it in but it took almost two months for Glock to replace it. He carries a Glock 19 now. This E-series thing has been known for some time so I'm surprised he didn't send it in a long time ago before it broke.

cathellsk
12-29-08, 20:44
One of our Rangemasters at my gun club had the rail break on his Glock 23. It was an E-series so he sent it in but it took almost two months for Glock to replace it. He carries a Glock 19 now. Ihis E-series thing has been know for some time so I'm surprised he didn't send it in a long time ago before it broke.

I remember reading the reason for the long wait on the frame replacements was because of the Glock USA's wait for frames from the Austrian plant with the same serial number with the addition of a 1 at either the beginning or end, can't remember which.

HK45
12-29-08, 20:51
This only happened last year and I'm pretty sure the E-series recall has been going on for some time.

shootmovecomm
12-30-08, 10:48
I was issued an E series serial numbered M22 in 2001. Glock sent out notifications to all of it's armors, I want to say back around late 2002 or early 2003. Some U.S. government agencies then sent notice out to the field for replacement or inspection.

shootmovecomm
12-30-08, 11:06
No matter what type, what caliber, or what brand, no matter what the round count, your pistol may only be ONE round away from field stripping it's self. Welcome to the "I broke a Glock" club. They will warrant it.

I would have to agree with Matt whole heartedly. A weapon is a "machine" if you will and to a good portion of people on this site it is a "tool." ALL machines are prone to failure and or breakage. However I would say that it can be over whelmingly agreed upon that the aim of the game is to reduce this risk via qualtiy, ease of maintenance, efficency of the design, and manufactures reputation. There are other handguns that I shoot better than a Glock (HK P7M8 for instance) however some of these pistols are not as reliable and the companies that produce them have the worst customer service under the sun. I will not preach that this is the worlds best, end all to be all pistol, but I will submit that the design and field support so far is excellent. Organizations (military, federal, etc.) that actually utilize weapons on a daily basis for what they are designed for (killing or self defense) have switched to this gun in varying models and calibers.

wargasm
12-30-08, 13:39
wargasm,

I have never heard of Glock Inc. in Smyrna not providing an immediate frame replacement for that issue. This was also a problem with the M19. Recently (past three weeks) I purchased an M19 that was a police trade in. Sent it to Glock for refenishing and refurbishment. A week after sending the pistol to tech services they ran the serial number and informed me that it qualified for the "free frame replacement program" as they dubbed it. Stating that the run of pistols that one was released with has had the same issues. It is going to take about 4weeks to get the new frame in. I have been using M22's and 23's in service for about nine years now and have literally beat the piss out of them and brought one to catastrophic failure after at least 100,000 rounds. Glock replaced the weapon at no cost.

Refurbishment with Glock consists of them going completely through the weapon and replacing all parts (except barrel and frame unless it falls into free replacement category). This weapon came with a piece of crap laser max guide rod that they are pulling and replacing it with a stock Glock guide rod. The cost of total refurbishment and refinish is around $50.00. I have had NO complaints with their customer service and operational field support. It beats a sharp stick in the eye.

I sent it back yesterday via UPS 2nd day. Turnaround expects to be around 5-6 weeks, if not sooner. I also sent a couple of mags back with it per Fred at Tech Service for refurbishing. Now I gotta find a concealment rig for my XD45 Tactical. Mahalo for the input!

Vic303
01-03-09, 12:57
Now I gotta find a concealment rig for my XD45 Tactical. Mahalo for the input!

Look to the Comp-Tac MTAC for a great holster for concealment for the XD45 in any frame size. It is extremely comfortable, and durable too.

wargasm
01-24-09, 04:10
Got my G22 back yesterday! Glock replaced the frame, trigger bar, locking block, firing pin, spring cups, space sleeve, spring loaded bearing and a good cleaning! They also reconditioned 2 hi-cap mags that I sent with it (new springs and followers). :D Just a little over a month turnaround.

markm
01-24-09, 07:27
A few weeks ago I got to thinking about this thread. It never occured to me to check my G27 in the back of the safe....

It's an E frame. :rolleyes:

Jack_Stroker
01-24-09, 09:23
This is why I carry a backup weapon. You never know when a gun will fail on you.

HeadHunter
01-24-09, 21:32
One of the School Glock 17 had a similar problem after about 100K rounds. I took it to Glock and they replaced the frame, no problem.

andre3k
01-24-09, 21:38
I also have an E frame G22, buts its also had a major grip reduction done to it. Don't think glock will be touching that one.

TheGhostRider
01-25-09, 08:01
:confused:

So that I understand this situation completely...

Since my pistols serial STARTS with a "G" is it in the clear?

My G17 serial looks like this (GED###)... "GED" followed by three numbers.

If I understand correctly, the offending serial number range STARTS with the E?

Is this correct or do I have one of the "E" pistols?

Thank you,
TGR

M4arc
01-25-09, 08:19
:confused:

So that I understand this situation completely...

Since my pistols serial STARTS with a "G" is it in the clear?

My G17 serial looks like this (GED###)... "GED" followed by three numbers.

If I understand correctly, the offending serial number range STARTS with the E?

Is this correct or do I have one of the "E" pistols?

Thank you,
TGR

No you do not have a E series pistol. You have a G series pistol so you're good to go.

MarkM - Go ahead and send your G27 frame back. While it only effected a small percentage of E series pistols it's better to be safe than sorry. Take advanatage of the "upgrade" before it becomes a problem. ;)

TheGhostRider
01-25-09, 08:37
No you do not have a E series pistol. You have a G series pistol so you're good to go.

MarkM - Go ahead and send your G27 frame back. While it only effected a small percentage of E series pistols it's better to be safe than sorry. Take advanatage of the "upgrade" before it becomes a problem. ;)

Thanks for the info!
My comfort level is now back on track.:D

El Mac
02-01-09, 13:27
It wouldn't be so bad if Glunk didn't offer them up as "Perfection" to the world...:rolleyes:

crowkiller
02-01-09, 14:10
FWIW I have a Glock 23 that starts with EAA called Glock about it a couple years ago and they said mine wasnt affected.

MarshallDodge
02-01-09, 14:37
It wouldn't be so bad if Glunk didn't offer them up as "Perfection" to the world...:rolleyes:

Agreed.

tpd223
02-02-09, 02:34
Although the frame rail breaking problem has been know about by Glock for some time, they still don't advertise it.

After the issues that I have become aware of over the years involving Glock .40s, issues which Glock refuses to fix, I wouldn't carry one and don't recommend them to anyone.

Not a Glock hater, I carry Glock 9mms daily. Glocks work, in 9mm.