PDA

View Full Version : 101st Airborne helicopters crash - Fort Campbell

Lacos
03-30-23, 06:02
Two HH60 Blackhawks crash. Unknown casualties at this time. UPDATE - 9 fatalities.

"The crewmembers were flying two HH60 Blackhawk helicopters during a routine training mission when the incident occurred. The status of the crew members are unknown at this time," Carpenter-Player said. "The command is currently focused on caring for the servicemembers and their families."

“An Army official confirmed to Fox News on Thursday all nine service members aboard the two Black Hawk helicopters that crashed Wednesday night in Trigg County, Kentucky – near Fort Campbell – have died.”

https://www.foxnews.com/us/fort-campbell-helicopter-crash-kentucky-gov-andy-beshear-confirms-multiple-fatalities-expected

Slater
03-30-23, 09:31
Never knew the Army operated the "HH" variant. Thought that was mainly an Air Force version (HH-60G?).

qsy
03-30-23, 11:19
Don't know anything about the accident but the HH-60M is an Army medevac version.

kerplode
03-30-23, 11:54
Tragic...

But on a lighter note:

I was gonna get a candy bar...The button I was supposed to push was HH, so I went to the side, I found the H button, I pushed it twice. ****in' potato chips came out, man, because they had an HH button for Christ's sake! You need to let me know! I'm not familiar with the concept of HH. I did not learn my AA BB CC's. God god, dammit dammit!

utahjeepr
03-30-23, 12:56
Terrible news. Best wishes for the families.

titsonritz
03-30-23, 13:00
Two HH60 Blackhawks crash. Unknown casualties at this time.

"The crewmembers were flying two HH60 Blackhawk helicopters during a routine training mission when the incident occurred. The status of the crew members are unknown at this time," Carpenter-Player said. "The command is currently focused on caring for the servicemembers and their families."

https://www.foxnews.com/us/fort-campbell-helicopter-crash-kentucky-gov-andy-beshear-confirms-multiple-fatalities-expected

All nine crew members died. Damn that sucks. R.I.P. soldiers, prayers out to their families in this difficult time.

Averageman
03-30-23, 16:06
RIP Soldiers.

chuckman
03-30-23, 16:15
That stinks, RIP to the soldiers and airmen.

Of each of these are 100 'almost'. There but for the grace of God go I....

SteyrAUG
03-30-23, 19:47
That stinks, RIP to the soldiers and airmen.

Of each of these are 100 'almost'. There but for the grace of God go I....

Three of the scariest words in the military "routine training mission", better believe it can always go sideways and better have an "oh shit" plan. Sometimes no matter how valiant the effort, you just can't change the outcome, but you want to be working on it until the end.

Hope the families will be able to find comfort in the fact that they were doing what they do because that is where they wanted to be, I know it's really hard to accept this outcome from a "training exercise."

ABNAK
03-30-23, 19:57
In 2015 an Apache crashed a couple of miles from where I live (not too far from Ft. Campbell). Killed both crewmembers unfortunately. Went down in a farmer's field like the one last night, but in TN and not KY.

In this recent one it no doubt involved a collision of some sort. In the 2015 episode near me the aircraft had a parts failure and essentially came apart before it could be landed safely.

Buckaroo
03-30-23, 20:32
In 2015 an Apache crashed a couple of miles from where I live (not too far from Ft. Campbell). Killed both crewmembers unfortunately. Went down in a farmer's field like the one last night, but in TN and not KY.

In this recent one it no doubt involved a collision of some sort. In the 2015 episode near me the aircraft had a parts failure and essentially came apart before it could be landed safely.

Prayer for the families of these defenders of our country.
I'm assuming it was an equipment failure that caused the accident. Lots of critical parts to these aircraft and little room for error or recovery from an airframe failure.

ABNAK
03-30-23, 20:54
Prayer for the families of these defenders of our country.
I'm assuming it was an equipment failure that caused the accident. Lots of critical parts to these aircraft and little room for error or recovery from an airframe failure.

In 2015 yes, it was a part failure.

Last night was a collision. Pilots flying in NODs I will assume.

Not sure what depth-perception is like on the "newer" NODs but back in the mid-80's us grunts had the old PVS-4 generation goggles.....had shit for depth-perception. I would assume that almost 40 years have corrected that problem?

ThirdWatcher
03-30-23, 21:02
Sad. Kinda close to home, I’ve got a cousin (son of my first cousin) who used to be a Dust-off pilot in 101st. In Germany now, he just submitted his retirement papers in last month.

I don’t know how Army Aviators feel near the end of their careers but in my last few months in LE I felt like I had a bullseye on my back. I knew I had lived eight of my nine lives so I was hyper-vigilant when I thought I might just survive my career.