PDA

View Full Version : Bumping .22 LR for Conversion Kits?

Dan Goodwin
12-28-08, 22:33
I am a big believer in hunting with work guns, so am wondering about use of the conversion kits for hunting small game...and my CMMG/Black Dog kit is coming in this week.

I keep hearing accuracy is less than stellar because .22 LR is a bit skinny for a 5.56mm bbl. Not wanting "match" accuracy but it would be nice to be able to headshoot a squirrel inside 30-40 yards.

So, has anyone tried running their conversion ammo through a sizing die that bumps LR up to .224? If so, did it improve accuracy in an AR barrel?

UVvis
12-29-08, 02:30
So, has anyone tried running their conversion ammo through a sizing die that bumps LR up to .224? If so, did it improve accuracy in an AR barrel?

I've never heard of die that would do that. Does such a thing exist?

Dan Goodwin
12-29-08, 05:46
At least two people make them, Paco Kelly and Neal Waltz. Read about them on another site dedicated to rimfire guns.

markm
12-29-08, 08:08
This seems like going to way too much trouble to make a hunting gun out of an AR.

After getting the conversion to run at an acceptable level of reliability... then getting special equipment to mod bullets for accuracy...

In my opinion, an actual .22 rimfire rifle with a decent scope would be cheaper and less aggrivation.

George02
12-29-08, 18:30
This seems like going to way too much trouble to make a hunting gun out of an AR.

After getting the conversion to run at an acceptable level of reliability... then getting special equipment to mod bullets for accuracy...

In my opinion, an actual .22 rimfire rifle with a decent scope would be cheaper and less aggrivation.

agreed, my .22lr bolt action marlin is dead on at more than 50 yards

Noodles McGee
12-29-08, 20:00
I'm planning on going the same road myself.

I've squirrel hunted with a handgun for a long time now. No scope just iron sights. I'm still amazed that people "combat" shoot at 7yds.

Unlike paper badguys squirrels actually run, jump, hide, and try to get away.

I think it's a excellent source of low cost trainling.

Any form of trigger time that makes you shoot small moving targets is time well spent.

OldNavyGuy
12-30-08, 08:51
here is the answer to the very best in conversion "kits"

http://www.tacticalsol.com/store/pc/catalog/M4%20L2.jpg

i have one and find it is just as accurate as as the 5.56mm upper that i swap back and forth.

Dan Goodwin
12-30-08, 09:03
Noodles, my point exactly.

Also, check out the thread where CarlosDJackal punched the ticket of a Varmint Cong with his SBR and Colt Conversion kit.

Going to find out today how accurately the 6933 shoots with a variety of standard .22LR with CMMG kit.

I understand the TacSol upper is a great tool and has a genuine .22 LR barrel and chamber, but for the price difference between it and the CMMG Kit, I can buy nearly 10,000 rounds of .22 ammo.

At my paygrade that matters.

OldNavyGuy
12-30-08, 09:25
I understand the TacSol upper is a great tool and has a genuine .22 LR barrel and chamber, but for the price difference between it and the CMMG Kit, I can buy nearly 10,000 rounds of .22 ammo.

At my paygrade that matters.

yes !! the TacSol upper is in my opinion the very best when it comes to a true .22 cal. shooter.

as for the price..., at my age it don't matter, as i am trying to spend all my $$$$$$$ so there is no inheritance argument over money, just my tools and toys :D :D