PDA

View Full Version : Optics planet question

odugrad
04-04-23, 07:17
I recently purchased something from Optics Planet and my experience was a good one. Price was great, product was in stock, item shipped and arrived quickly. All good. But I did learn that their employees don't seem to be gun people.

So my question is, if they aren't gun people why do so many major manufacturers do partnerships with them (OpMod or Optics Planet exclusives)?

bamashooter
04-04-23, 07:59
Because they're good at moving product. Otherwise, they're pretty useless and deceptive.

MegademiC
04-04-23, 08:10
Ive always had great experiences, but havent needed cs.
How are they useless and deceptive?

C-grunt
04-04-23, 09:24

Im thinking he's talking about them being notorious for labeling out of stock items as in stock.

They did this to me a few years back. I can't remember what the item i bought was, but it was something farly trivial. I bought the item and pretty soon after got an email that it was out of stock and backordered. The backorder came in fairly quick though, within a few weeks.

Left a bit of a sour taste for me. But not enough to completely write them off. They just aren't on my go to list.

Sidneyious
04-04-23, 09:32
I have given op a good chunk of cash the last few months and their cs, the wearhouse people and whoever designed their website and upc number system should be taken out back by the shed and shot.

I had a huge issue with them because they couldn't tell the difference between 2 Harris bipods that have the same number.

And that was up on their website as I stock for weeks on weeks end.

Order it and nope, and this is so often for me now I'm all but finished with them because I can get some stuff from evike (an airsoft shop) that's in stock and shipped in a couple days instead of weeks when using dhl because that's all op uses.

Unless you pay $15 for a $5 part and then wait 4 business days for it to get on snail mail.

Who the **** is going to spend $15 for shipping when it's going to take the exact same 2 weeks to get to you.

Stickman
04-04-23, 09:51
Because they're good at moving product. Otherwise, they're pretty useless and deceptive.

I think this sums it up nicely. I have conversed with a couple people there, and it appears to me that anyone who wants to improve the firearm side of things is quickly discouraged and soon "leaves".

HKGuns
04-04-23, 10:48
I have had three bad experiences with them, none of them recent.

I wrote that place off long ago after researching their ownership as a DNC supporting gun grabber. I no longer have the goods as it was a long time back. But you should be able to figure out the owner and look at his track record at Fec.gov.

Not putting money into the hands of the enemy.

Uncas47
04-04-23, 12:00
Again, nothing recent. Now that I'm aware of what they are, there will be nothing going forward.

OMG 200 posts, just sucking all the air out of the room lol.

498cm3
04-04-23, 12:08
Couple weeks ago I spoke with one of their reps, was very pleasant, knowledgeable, and courteous.

JediGuy
04-04-23, 12:36
They got a generally negative reputation for several years. They clearly know this, as they emailed several weeks ago mentioning they are sorry if they did something to lose my business, then provided a coupon code. As it happens, they do at times stock items I want but can’t find elsewhere, and I have ordered from them twice since that email. It seems like they are making an effort to earn back business.

In the past, my single negative experience was a brown Radian Talon that took forever to backorder. Same as others mentioned.

But recently, clean and smooth.

e z money
04-04-23, 22:20
I feel that anything optics planet does, primary arms does better. Also I like roof top defense. They have LMT products and a military discount.

MegademiC
04-05-23, 07:12
Im thinking he's talking about them being notorious for labeling out of stock items as in stock.

They did this to me a few years back. I can't remember what the item i bought was, but it was something farly trivial. I bought the item and pretty soon after got an email that it was out of stock and backordered. The backorder came in fairly quick though, within a few weeks.

Left a bit of a sour taste for me. But not enough to completely write them off. They just aren't on my go to list.

Ive ordered a ton of stuff through them over the past couple years. The back-ordered stuff is clearly labeled. Ive never had anything backordered that wasnt in stock.

I ussually recieve the items within 5-10 business days. I dont ever "need" anything instantly and use the cheapest ship option. If it takes a couple days to ship, I dont notice, or care.

Ive actually called them about a harris bipod question and they were very helpful.

ST911
04-06-23, 16:08
Ordered some pistol optics Monday, had an order confirmation and tracking number shortly thereafter, and optics are in hand today. No issues.

bamashooter
04-07-23, 06:57

Would receive emails on specials, 10- 15% off with code word XXXX. Go to web page and it's the same price without the additional BS. Deceptive. Keep in mind haven't used them in 10 years or so. Another common tactic was making the purchase, go through the bs only to discover at checkout the item was OOS and "maybe" could be back-ordered.

04-07-23, 13:49

After ADM announced at SHOT one year that they were going to do an all-Ti scope mount, Optics Planet had it on its site for like 3 years, as if available. That mount has still not been released, and as far as I know has never existed outside of prototypes.

I’ve never been screwed totally by them.

Hammer_Man
04-07-23, 22:45
I’ve been ordering a lot of stuff from them lately. Their prices are usually competitive, and they’re pretty good at telling me if something is back ordered. So far so good I guess.

hoopharted
04-08-23, 19:10
i keep reading that they suck , ive used them maybe 8 or 10 times without any issue , same with Joe Bobs , read their reviews and it will send a shiver up your spine , ive used them easy 20+ times with nothing but great things to say

556Cliff
04-08-23, 19:58
Well, I was just forced to order from them because I've been waiting on a C7 upper (without M4 feed ramps) to come in stock from literally anywhere for well over 2 years now with no luck. So with the Washington AWB being passed tonight I had only one option to get an upper receiver without M4 feed ramps and it was an Aero flat top upper without the ramps which has been discontinued for a while now, but Optics Planet had 7 of them left a few days ago... Looking today they showed 1 in stock so I took the bait. Now was it actually in stock as it said when I placed the order? I have no idea... Is it the C7 upper I wanted? Not in the least... But I've had all the parts I needed to finish this last planned build and the upper was all that was left.

I'm still holding out hope that Brownells gets in another batch of C7 uppers since they've had them come in a couple times over the last few weeks. Heck, I actually had one in the cart about a week ago, but on my way to check out it just vanished from my cart. :cray:

I just need to get the dang upper before the ban is signed by our dickINbutt mayor, because we have no fricken idea if the parts supply is forever cut off from that point forward or not?

The_War_Wagon
04-09-23, 06:33

They're good @ CLAIMING to "move" product - mostly, they move money from your account to theirs & sit around not answering their CS complaints!

556Cliff
04-10-23, 15:23
My order from Optics Planet just shipped, so if it is what it's supposed to be when I receive it I'll be happy.

ChattanoogaPhil
04-10-23, 15:49
I've used Optics Planet a handful of times without issue. To be fair, I haven't had many notable issues with any firearms/accessory sellers. That said, I've read plenty of hate on the Net about most vendors I've used.

My general advice is don't click the Order Status / Track Shipment button every 15 minutes all day long. Relax... it'll get there when it gets there.

556Cliff
04-10-23, 16:03
I've used Optics Planet a handful of times without issue. To be fair, I haven't had many notable issues with any firearms/accessory sellers. That said, I've read plenty of hate on the Net about most vendors I've used.

My general advice is don't click the Order Status / Track Shipment button every 15 minutes all day long. Relax... it'll get there when it gets there.

True. I get the impression that a lot of guys wouldn't have patience ordering through Specialized Armament... Even at their fastest pace they are beyond tortoise slow, but you will get your parts eventually.

bamashooter
04-11-23, 07:44
i keep reading that they suck , ive used them maybe 8 or 10 times without any issue , same with Joe Bobs , read their reviews and it will send a shiver up your spine , ive used them easy 20+ times with nothing but great things to say

Crazy world. Ordered much from Joe Bob's over the years with no issues.

bamashooter
04-11-23, 07:46
They're good @ CLAIMING to "move" product - mostly, they move money from your account to theirs & sit around not answering their CS complaints!

Probably true. As I reflect I believe they were the same company with 2 or 3 different names.

Disciple
04-11-23, 10:56
I have not ordered from Optics Planet due to their reputation here but I have ordered from CampSaver multiple times without any problem that I recall. Only in recent years did I learn Optics Planet owned or was the "sister store" to CampSaver.

Sidneyious
04-11-23, 13:16
Probably true. As I reflect I believe they were the same company with 2 or 3 different names.It's all part of the dvor shit

odugrad
04-11-23, 20:37
Well, for what it's worth I had a good experience with them and my friend just recently purchased something from them and had a good experience.

ViniVidivici
04-14-23, 10:01
My order from Optics Planet just shipped, so if it is what it's supposed to be when I receive it I'll be happy.

Frakkin' awesome! Good on ya. I too have been on a parts buying adventure, to get ahead of the idiot decrees in WA. It's been a blast. Some of the parts even turned into a complete new gun! HA!

There is a long list of vendors who should now be sending thank you cards to Turd Ferguson and Idiot Inslee for drumming up so much business. But I digress...

Oddly enough, throughout all this over the last couple of months I haven't ordered a single thing from OP.

But over the last 3-4 years, I think I've made over 20 orders from them of all kinds of stuff. And it's all been great, not one single problem with any of it.

So I'm always baffled by all these awful reviews I see online. Have I just been lucky all this time? Weird...

556Cliff
04-14-23, 20:23
Frakkin' awesome! Good on ya. I too have been on a parts buying adventure, to get ahead of the idiot decrees in WA. It's been a blast. Some of the parts even turned into a complete new gun! HA!

There is a long list of vendors who should now be sending thank you cards to Turd Ferguson and Idiot Inslee for drumming up so much business. But I digress...

Oddly enough, throughout all this over the last couple of months I haven't ordered a single thing from OP.

But over the last 3-4 years, I think I've made over 20 orders from them of all kinds of stuff. And it's all been great, not one single problem with any of it.

So I'm always baffled by all these awful reviews I see online. Have I just been lucky all this time? Weird...

HA! Yes indeed, Inslee and Side Show Bob have sold a lot of guns here in the last few months. :laugh: Personally I was already pretty well prepared, but I still felt the need to go on a bit of a parts buying spree. I honestly didn't expect I'd have to stock up on parts with this ban at the start of the year, so that caught me off guard.

But, I did receive my my Optics Planet order yesterday and it was exactly as it was advertised, so no issues to report. I've even had good luck ordering from Botach when I was stocking up on mags a couple years ago.