PDA

View Full Version : Mini Gun story in Mogadishu

Sam
04-06-23, 10:18
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoxQpSl9mKw

I watched the video of Jack Carr's interview of Kyle Lamb. I wonder if someone will ask who Kyle Lamb is :)

Toward the end of the video, they talked about the minigun story in Mogadishu. The skinnies stole a minigun off one of the Blackhawks and it was kept as a trophy. Sometimes later, the SEALS were tracking down some bad guys and came upon this house where a terrorist was. They took care of the bad guy and found a minigun, it turned out to be the missing minigun. Apparently they brought it out in a casket.

Overall, the interview was very good.

titsonritz
04-06-23, 12:14
Who's Kyle Lamb? :jester: Kidding.

WillBrink
04-06-23, 12:42
The good news is, without proper maintenance etc, those things don't run for chit. So, a giant desk weight trophy is all was at least vs being on the receiving end of it.

04-06-23, 14:43
The good news is, without proper maintenance etc, those things don't run for chit. So, a giant desk weight trophy is all was at least vs being on the receiving end of it.
Pretty quick and easy to render inop, also.

Not too long ago, in a coastal community not too far from OP, I came across a rather rusty M2 receiver, like bulky rust, that has an unknown history. Thought it interesting.

Stickman
04-06-23, 14:48
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoxQpSl9mKw

I watched the video of Jack Carr's interview of Kyle Lamb. I wonder if someone will ask who Kyle Lamb is :)

Toward the end of the video, they talked about the minigun story in Mogadishu. The skinnies stole a minigun off one of the Blackhawks and it was kept as a trophy. Sometimes later, the SEALS were tracking down some bad guys and came upon this house where a terrorist was. They took care of the bad guy and found a minigun, it turned out to be the missing minigun. Apparently they brought it out in a casket.

Overall, the interview was very good.

I'll have to watch that. I've heard some interesting stories about Kyle while in Mogadishu.

joe138
04-06-23, 18:13
If anyone has the opportunity to see Kyle Lamb do his "Leadership in the Shadows" lecture/training, it is well worth it. He also relates Mogadishu and other service related events.

SteyrAUG
04-06-23, 18:46
Saddest part of the mini gun in Mogadishu is they didn't have independent power otherwise Shugart and Gordon might have fared better.

ABNAK
04-06-23, 19:50
Not to sidetrack, but I saw a pic quite some time ago of an expedition to Koh Tang Island (of "Mayaguez Incident" fame) where they were pulling a minigun from one of the shot-down Marine CH-53's years later. It was all rusted as you would expect from being submerged in salt water for decades.

Sam
04-06-23, 19:53
Ah Koh Tang. Next month will be 48 years.

ABNAK
04-06-23, 20:14
Ah Koh Tang. Next month will be 48 years.

May 15th, if I'm correct.

Sam
04-06-23, 20:23
One of the CH-53 choppers, designated as "Knife 22", later was upgraded/converted to the HH-53M. After a long career, it was retired and now on display at Hurlburt Field. I need to visit there next time I'm in the area.