PDA

View Full Version : Why I Love My Hated Rock River AR

ViperTwoSix
04-08-23, 20:00
I thought I’d write this for all those with what might me termed as sub par ARs. So, before I start, this isn’t an argument about why my Rock River Arms AR is so great, nor is it an argument about why “better” ARs are actually better. There is enough searchable info on this forum alone from people much smarter than me that settles any of those arguments. But this is a message to those that already have the dreaded “less than ideal” AR brands and the short cuts that come with them.

Now, before I continue, I will admit that I’ve made alterations to my RRA. I’ve learned a TON since purchasing my first AR. At the time I bought it I was young, in the middle of the Clinton Ban, and literally only had two options of available ARs. This one fit my budget. But, below is a list of what I changed on the original AR setup. I won’t name manufacturers because this isn’t about that, it’s more about confidence you have in a weapon (we’ll get into that shortly), but do transparency’s sake:

Replaced the gas tube.
Replaced the BCG with a full auto carrier.
Replaced commercial buffer tube with mil spec.
Replaced butt stock to fit mil spec tube.
Replaced castle nut and property staked.
Replaced carbine buffer weight with H1 buffer weight.

Now, more importantly, why do I love this sub par AR? Well, because I spent time with it. I’ve owned it longer than any other AR I have. I’ve spent more range time with it than any other AR I have.

Did I replace some parts after learning? Yes.
Does it still have a 1/9 twist barrel? Yes.
Is the barrel chrome lined, melonited, and made of 4150 CMV? No.
Are my feed ramps ugly as shit and look like RRA cut them in with dremel tool? Yes.

Now, could it be “better”? Yes. But here’s the real reason why I love it.

I’ve had it the longest and spent the most trigger time with it.
I know how it shoots.
I know it’s quirks, I know what it likes and what it doesn’t.
I’ve had failures with it and I’ve cleared them. I know how to get her back in action when she chokes.
I beat it up more than any other gun (accept maybe the AK). Yet it doesn’t hold that against me and still goes bang.
It chomps through whatever I feed it.
The 1/9 heavy barrel it came with is accurate as shit, coupled with the Eotech it came with.
I have confidence in this weapon gained through actual use.

I’ve trained with this rifle, used this rifle, know this rifle. Is it the perfect specimen? Absolutely not. But neither am I. When I reach for a rifle I always find myself grabbing this one because I know it in and out. And there in lies the point of my post. You can have a top tier rifle, and there’s definitely some science and experience behind why they do what they do. But if your like me and have kids to feed and can’t afford that, just ****ing train and learn your weapon. Buy what you can afford, upgrade when you can, and learn your ****ing weapon in and out so you know what it will and won’t do. Build your confidence with that weapon, and I think you’ll find that when you need comfort in violence you’ll reach for what you’re most familiar with.

georgeib
04-08-23, 21:40
Glad you're happy with it, man. You've clearly used it enough to have confidence in it. Reading what you wrote reminded me of the Rifleman's Creed. "This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend..."

Kudos!

JediGuy
04-09-23, 05:55
I liked this.

RHINOWSO
04-09-23, 11:12
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.tenor.com%2FUwuvX38sDpsAAAAC%2Fmmmkay-mr-mackey.gif&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=5d6e7a99c60054fb37a692469243c58430a12a8144cd917a0e01a496a0eabee4&ipo=images

DG23
04-09-23, 11:25
Replaced the gas tube.

There are a few dumbasses on the internet that have tried to convince me that the gas tubes on my Colt Expanse series carbines are somehow 'inferior' and not fit for use / need to be replaced.

Not a damn one has ever shown me any measurements that would indicate they have valid concerns OR shown me pictures of actual failures they have had that would require changing out that part...

99% of the idiots that repeat the crap don't actually have or use any of those gas tubes either... :rolleyes:

Stickman
04-09-23, 12:12
I’ve had it the longest and spent the most trigger time with it.
I know how it shoots.
I know it’s quirks, I know what it likes and what it doesn’t.

I think that sums it up with most weapons. If you have it, know how to work it well, and know where the bullets are going to go, you have a much better carbine than most internet clownfish.

Pappabear
04-09-23, 15:23
One of my earliest AR's was a RRA lower that I SBR's it. I basically gutted after my knowledge increased and the base product is within spec. It bothered me for a while being RRA but now I know it and like it very much.

Had I not SBR's it, it would be gone and I would have one less great rifle. It is the only such gun of suspect lineage that I own. But I own it so I own it.

PB

ViperTwoSix
04-18-23, 14:14
There are a few dumbasses on the internet that have tried to convince me that the gas tubes on my Colt Expanse series carbines are somehow 'inferior' and not fit for use / need to be replaced.

Not a damn one has ever shown me any measurements that would indicate they have valid concerns OR shown me pictures of actual failures they have had that would require changing out that part...

99% of the idiots that repeat the crap don't actually have or use any of those gas tubes either... :rolleyes:

Valid point. The original gas tube probably would have kept working fine. But since I replaced the bolt carrier and bolt, so I felt like measuring the inner diameter of the new gas key and the outer diameter of the gas tube. I didn’t like the results, so my OCD ass replaced it. Personal preference.

utahjeepr
04-19-23, 08:32
I've got some CMMGs, so I ain't throwing no shade on your RRA. One of mine is now a dedicated .22lr, but I have another that is my #2 carbine. It gets shot A LOT!

Like you, I have done a little work to it. Will (RIP) had it apart and had nothing bad to say.

Bottom line, sometimes you can polish a turd. ;)

markm
04-19-23, 08:54
I've had a bond with a sub par gun too. I had a Bushmaster 14.5 gov profile that I rattle canned. Even though it was over-gassed and malfted on a few occasions, it was still my handy blaster. Shot 10s of thousands of rounds thru it.

This was back before the BRT tubes which would have helped it a little bit. But yeah, I get it.

Rmorris
04-19-23, 17:43
My first AR was a ban era RRA. It was in the very beginnings of RRA and mid length has tubes were the new thing. It was the A,B,C,D days.
I later learned about all the short cuts taken in building it, but it never missed a beat That non-lined 1/9 shot better than any other barrel I have ever tried.

Norman
04-20-23, 09:48
I have a lowly Rock River that I bought just after the Clinton ban. I changed out the buffer tube and stock for a Vltor. It has the dremeled feed ramps but mine look really good and it’s never malfunctioned. It’s gone through a couple configurations with fore ends and optics. The barrel profile is heavy and I’ve long since gravitated to lighter carbines. Now it has a 3x9 Leupold and is more of a coyote/ground hog gun than anything. I’ve resisted selling it because of it’s accuracy. From the bench, it’s a solid 3/4 moa gun.