PDA

View Full Version : We're Screwed ... Russian Thinks USA Will "Disintegrate" in 2010

30 cal slut
12-29-08, 11:34
Oh, dear.

I should buy a few more M4's and think about moving or something like that.

Time to order a bigger bug-out bag. :confused:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123051100709638419.html

DECEMBER 29, 2008

As if Things Weren't Bad Enough, Russian Professor Predicts End of U.S.
In Moscow, Igor Panarin's Forecasts Are All the Rage; America 'Disintegrates' in 2010

»By ANDREW OSBORN

MOSCOW -- For a decade, Russian academic Igor Panarin has been predicting the U.S. will fall apart in 2010. For most of that time, he admits, few took his argument -- that an economic and moral collapse will trigger a civil war and the eventual breakup of the U.S. -- very seriously. Now he's found an eager audience: Russian state media.

In recent weeks, he's been interviewed as much as twice a day about his predictions. "It's a record," says Prof. Panarin. "But I think the attention is going to grow even stronger."

Prof. Panarin, 50 years old, is not a fringe figure. A former KGB analyst, he is dean of the Russian Foreign Ministry's academy for future diplomats. He is invited to Kremlin receptions, lectures students, publishes books, and appears in the media as an expert on U.S.-Russia relations.

But it's his bleak forecast for the U.S. that is music to the ears of the Kremlin, which in recent years has blamed Washington for everything from instability in the Middle East to the global financial crisis. Mr. Panarin's views also fit neatly with the Kremlin's narrative that Russia is returning to its rightful place on the world stage after the weakness of the 1990s, when many feared that the country would go economically and politically bankrupt and break into separate territories.

A polite and cheerful man with a buzz cut, Mr. Panarin insists he does not dislike Americans. But he warns that the outlook for them is dire.

"There's a 55-45% chance right now that disintegration will occur," he says. "One could rejoice in that process," he adds, poker-faced. "But if we're talking reasonably, it's not the best scenario -- for Russia." Though Russia would become more powerful on the global stage, he says, its economy would suffer because it currently depends heavily on the dollar and on trade with the U.S.

Mr. Panarin posits, in brief, that mass immigration, economic decline, and moral degradation will trigger a civil war next fall and the collapse of the dollar. Around the end of June 2010, or early July, he says, the U.S. will break into six pieces -- with Alaska reverting to Russian control.

In addition to increasing coverage in state media, which are tightly controlled by the Kremlin, Mr. Panarin's ideas are now being widely discussed among local experts. He presented his theory at a recent roundtable discussion at the Foreign Ministry. The country's top international relations school has hosted him as a keynote speaker. During an appearance on the state TV channel Rossiya, the station cut between his comments and TV footage of lines at soup kitchens and crowds of homeless people in the U.S. The professor has also been featured on the Kremlin's English-language propaganda channel, Russia Today.

Mr. Panarin's apocalyptic vision "reflects a very pronounced degree of anti-Americanism in Russia today," says Vladimir Pozner, a prominent TV journalist in Russia. "It's much stronger than it was in the Soviet Union."

Mr. Pozner and other Russian commentators and experts on the U.S. dismiss Mr. Panarin's predictions. "Crazy ideas are not usually discussed by serious people," says Sergei Rogov, director of the government-run Institute for U.S. and Canadian Studies, who thinks Mr. Panarin's theories don't hold water.

Mr. Panarin's résumé includes many years in the Soviet KGB, an experience shared by other top Russian officials. His office, in downtown Moscow, shows his national pride, with pennants on the wall bearing the emblem of the FSB, the KGB's successor agency. It is also full of statuettes of eagles; a double-headed eagle was the symbol of czarist Russia.

The professor says he began his career in the KGB in 1976. In post-Soviet Russia, he got a doctorate in political science, studied U.S. economics, and worked for FAPSI, then the Russian equivalent of the U.S. National Security Agency. He says he did strategy forecasts for then-President Boris Yeltsin, adding that the details are "classified."

In September 1998, he attended a conference in Linz, Austria, devoted to information warfare, the use of data to get an edge over a rival. It was there, in front of 400 fellow delegates, that he first presented his theory about the collapse of the U.S. in 2010.

"When I pushed the button on my computer and the map of the United States disintegrated, hundreds of people cried out in surprise," he remembers. He says most in the audience were skeptical. "They didn't believe me."

At the end of the presentation, he says many delegates asked him to autograph copies of the map showing a dismembered U.S.

He based the forecast on classified data supplied to him by FAPSI analysts, he says. He predicts that economic, financial and demographic trends will provoke a political and social crisis in the U.S. When the going gets tough, he says, wealthier states will withhold funds from the federal government and effectively secede from the union. Social unrest up to and including a civil war will follow. The U.S. will then split along ethnic lines, and foreign powers will move in.

California will form the nucleus of what he calls "The Californian Republic," and will be part of China or under Chinese influence. Texas will be the heart of "The Texas Republic," a cluster of states that will go to Mexico or fall under Mexican influence. Washington, D.C., and New York will be part of an "Atlantic America" that may join the European Union. Canada will grab a group of Northern states Prof. Panarin calls "The Central North American Republic." Hawaii, he suggests, will be a protectorate of Japan or China, and Alaska will be subsumed into Russia.

"It would be reasonable for Russia to lay claim to Alaska; it was part of the Russian Empire for a long time." A framed satellite image of the Bering Strait that separates Alaska from Russia like a thread hangs from his office wall. "It's not there for no reason," he says with a sly grin.

Interest in his forecast revived this fall when he published an article in Izvestia, one of Russia's biggest national dailies. In it, he reiterated his theory, called U.S. foreign debt "a pyramid scheme," and predicted China and Russia would usurp Washington's role as a global financial regulator.

Americans hope President-elect Barack Obama "can work miracles," he wrote. "But when spring comes, it will be clear that there are no miracles."

The article prompted a question about the White House's reaction to Prof. Panarin's forecast at a December news conference. "I'll have to decline to comment," spokeswoman Dana Perino said amid much laughter.

For Prof. Panarin, Ms. Perino's response was significant. "The way the answer was phrased was an indication that my views are being listened to very carefully," he says.

The professor says he's convinced that people are taking his theory more seriously. People like him have forecast similar cataclysms before, he says, and been right. He cites French political scientist Emmanuel Todd. Mr. Todd is famous for having rightly forecast the demise of the Soviet Union -- 15 years beforehand. "When he forecast the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1976, people laughed at him," says Prof. Panarin.

Write to Andrew Osborn at andrew.osborn@wsj.com

http://s.wsj.net/public/resources/images/P1-AO116_RUSPRO_NS_20081228191715.gif

byatacko
12-29-08, 11:56
Around the end of June 2010, or early July, he says, the U.S. will break into six pieces -- with Alaska reverting to Russian control.
There's their take. Not happening.

Heavy Metal
12-29-08, 12:05
"Cocaine is a helluva drug!"

g5m
12-29-08, 12:12
Along the lines of ....."Afghanistan will be a Soviet republic".

bkb0000
12-29-08, 12:21
hmm... i just don't see Americans submitting to the rule or "influence" of these horrible governments.. china? eu? CANADA? *MEXICO??*

hahaha. we may just fight each other and split up, but not to be absorbed by a bunch of fags. if we did split up, and china invaded the west, i think the world would discover that American citizens care more about not being invaded than they do about being apart.

nothing would bring this country back together faster than an invasion.

30 cal slut
12-29-08, 12:25
and while we're on the subject ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine_Nations_of_North_America

:confused:

bkb0000
12-29-08, 12:35
and while we're on the subject ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine_Nations_of_North_America

:confused:

i'll be in the Empty Quarter if anybody needs me

live2offroad
12-29-08, 12:42

+1

Please don't forward my mail or calls..

MisterWilson
12-29-08, 12:42
Isn't this how Enemies F&D turns out?

I honestly don't think it's that unreasonable of a prediction right now...

miss debbie
12-29-08, 12:59
And this guy is a professor. Please, whoever believes this crap should really be slapped silly. Thank God I have a husband who is packing away the armor and ammo. Because we'll fight like hell before giving up to any other country or government that is not the good ole' United States of America that was formed under one God! People should be more concerned about their own personal salvation and treating each other like humans than worrying about crap like this. Thank you, God Bless and happy new year!

bkb0000
12-29-08, 13:08
years ago, when i actually had no responsibilities and nothing to do most of the day, i wrote a few short stories based upon a US dissolution. having just gotten out of the Army, they focused mainly on the troops we have stationed in horrible places, and the natural problems with being a foreign soldier in a foreign land without a country and no great option for getting "home."

my characters were pretty much screwed.. no contact with their families, little word of what was actually happening in the former USA.. a couple made it out and made it home, by the skin of their teeth and with a trail of blood and fallen comrades.. but most were too busy trying to stay alive to engage any real plan of escaping- our forces having divided, units mostly sticking together and becoming their own factions, and now competing for survival against and with islam, and each other.

CarlosDJackal
12-29-08, 13:09
Oh crap. I have to buy more ammo and start building my bunker!!

They wish. :rolleyes:

Sam
12-29-08, 13:16
Isn't this how Enemies F&D turns out?

I honestly don't think it's that unreasonable of a prediction right now...

And it starts when they found a dead guy with an old bolt action rifle with a scope mounted cockeyed that was used to shoot spectators at a pro football game in the Baltimore/DC area. :)

30 cal slut
12-29-08, 13:30
Oh crap. I have to buy more ammo and start building my bunker!!

They wish. :rolleyes:

got any extra room in there for me, buddy ole pal? :D

chuckles
12-29-08, 13:53
kind of like what happened to the Soviet union? I think I'll move to texas. They beat Mexico before, i think they can do it again. :cool:

ToddG
12-29-08, 13:58
In Russia, stupid ideas have you!

LOKNLOD
12-29-08, 14:51
Blah....not that hard to imagine us falling apart these days. To think that China will be the bigger influence in AZ and SoCal, over Mexico? Doubtful. I'd shift the blue zone two states to the West. Mexico can't even handle their own business these days, and I dont see that improving, so I'd call it more of a cultural influence than political one though. It'd be the really wild, wild west I'm afraid.

Maybe NorCal and the NW could get Asian influence, assuming they set up their own gov't and it was propped up by China. I don't see China needing or wanting to do anything militarily, just puppeteering behind the scenes. I think that as a country, while they'd like to see the US go down, they'd rather US stay a single bloated beauracracy full of consumers for cheap goods than to break apart. They may want to usurp our position of power globablly but they've become linked to our fate somewhat.

The middle US going Canadian...perhaps. Canada is is the best candidate for just up and joining based on similarities and borders but is Canada sufficiently isolated from US economic problems to be in a position to do anything here, or to support a portion of the former US?

The east cost may have a good chance of reorganizing and forming a gov't but they population density there could mean things will get out of control much faster than any organization could occur. It would need direct, immediate outside
influence to avoid complete collapse especially in the densest parts like NYC.

Bottom line to me: under these circumstances, it won't matter too much who is officially in control because the reality will be that no one is in control of much of anything.

Oh and this whole thing is just silly. Fun for doomsday wargaming, beyond that, just tinfoil.

Sorta ;)

Rider79
12-29-08, 15:34

Me too.

Rider79
12-29-08, 15:38
I have trouble seeing Idaho and Utah going with the Kalifornia group, plus alot of Northern NV. Vegas though, we're already a damn suburb of LA.

HES
12-29-08, 15:45
No big deal even if it does come true cause were all gonna die in 2012 anyways. :D

bkb0000
12-29-08, 15:47
utah... the mormons have wanted independence for 150 years. The Independent Republic of Latter Day Saints. I'd be pissed if i'd been denied my first amendment for a century and half too.

shadowalker
12-29-08, 15:55
The problems our nation is facing are only growing, and eventually something has got to give. Our nation can not continue spending and tearing itself apart as it is and remain in existence.

Even Rome fell, as do all great nations, usually due to their own hand. The question isn't so much if but when and what the fallout will look like. Our land mass is huge compared to most countries and we could certainly support multiple nations.

While it would be painful temporarily I don't think it would be the end of freedom or the end of our international power. It would put power back in the hands of the people and make government more responsive. Those areas that want to restrict freedom seem to be largely made up of people that don't want to fight, the areas they would take it from are generally ready to die for it.

Parts of America are so poorly represented in Washington these days that I could see a East vs West type of event occurring.

Having been born and lived in Alaska for most my life the notion of Alaska falling under Russian rule is hilarious, Red Dawn comes to mind.

30 cal slut
12-29-08, 15:58
woooollllverrrrrreeeeeeeennnnss

http://meekmok.com/muaddib/images/blog/wolverines.jpg

sorry somebody had to post that. :p

Gutshot John
12-29-08, 16:11
Every civilization in history eventually falls apart. Sorry but it's akin to predicting that we will die someday.

As for the 2010 number...I guess someone picked the wrong day to quit sniffing glue. Predicting how it will break up is a statement of pure stupidity.

white spaniard
12-29-08, 16:28
I wonder if the Russian professor wrote this after watching the episodes 1 &2 of Jericho.

bmg
12-29-08, 17:15
I have trouble seeing Idaho and Utah going with the Kalifornia group, plus alot of Northern NV. Vegas though, we're already a damn suburb of LA.
Exactly. No way Idaho would willing join with California. I'd think Eastern Oregon and Washington would feel the same way, but they're already screwed with the Portland and Seattle areas running their states. Actually the whole way he's got the country carved up is a laugh.

bkb0000
12-29-08, 17:17
Exactly. No way Idaho would willing join with California. I'd think Eastern Oregon and Washington would feel the same way, but they're already screwed with the Portland and Seattle areas running their states. Actually the whole way he's got the country carved up is a laugh.

it's amazing how one little area can ruin an entire state. Oregon is a solidly blue state, but if you look at it county by county, there's only three blue counties out of 36

Alpha Sierra
12-29-08, 17:54
it's amazing how one little area can ruin an entire state. Oregon is a solidly blue state, but if you look at it county by county, there's only three blue counties out of 36
That's how Ohio rolled for Nobama.

All the more reason for a splintering and a realignment.

cougar_guy04
12-29-08, 18:11
I thought the same thing about Kentucky and Tennessee siding with New England.

BWYoda
12-29-08, 18:31
Wow, we must REALLY hate China to inflict California on them :D

TommyGunn
12-29-08, 18:47
I don't know why anyone would think this Russian has any special insights into what's going on inside America. He probably has about as good idea what are future is as we do Russia's. Remember; the collapse of the USSR came as a surprise to many.
:rolleyes:

11Bravo
12-29-08, 19:15
snip...Our land mass is huge compared to most countries and we could certainly support multiple nations...snip
Problem is, the damn liberals would leech out of their areas and into ours again.

CarlosDJackal
12-29-08, 19:24
got any extra room in there for me, buddy ole pal? :D

Sure, I'm building it large enough for all the Bananas who can bring their own weapons and ammo. Someone has to watch my six!! ;)

Alpha Sierra
12-29-08, 21:12
Problem is, the damn liberals would leech out of their areas and into ours again.

Close the borders.

QuickStrike
12-29-08, 21:37
Canadians are gonna take us over? :D

11Bravo
12-29-08, 21:42
Close the borders.
They won't let us. :(

Alpha Sierra-
You ever been to Rockford, IA?
I've been to Troy, OH.

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-29-08, 23:30
You guys are idiots. Don't you know that the Y2k bug will have long since destroyed civilization by 2010?

Does Conan O'Brien Still do his "In the year 2000" thing?

tinman44
12-30-08, 00:15
ohs noes i'm gonna start sleeping in the fallout shelter

Turnkey11
12-30-08, 00:53
hmm... i just don't see Americans submitting to the rule or "influence" of these horrible governments.. china? eu? CANADA? *MEXICO??*

hahaha. we may just fight each other and split up, but not to be absorbed by a bunch of fags. if we did split up, and china invaded the west, i think the world would discover that American citizens care more about not being invaded than they do about being apart.

nothing would bring this country back together faster than an invasion.

+1, I think they forgot to study America's early history, we dont submit well to others. I feel sorry for Russians that go to Alaska expecting them to take the news nicely. :D

AirmanAtwood
12-30-08, 00:56
ohs noes i'm gonna start sleeping in the fallout shelter

your not already there?
I'v been in mine since Nov. 4th

tinman44
12-30-08, 01:01
your not already there?
I'v been in mine since Nov. 4th

this reply and that last one were pre-programmed to post in the case that this thread was started in 1999 so if this post is posting then y2k screwed us all! or i missed a 0 in my programming

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-30-08, 01:08
I feel sorry for Russians that go to Alaska expecting them to take the news nicely.

Probably get it worse that the poor guys who marched into Finland with musicians.

usaffarmer
12-30-08, 01:12
Russia has been saying they want Alaska back for years. We laugh, but i think some did the same when Hitler said he was going to take over most of Europe. :rolleyes: Its going to be and intresting next couple of years.....

CMFG
12-30-08, 02:05
years ago, when i actually had no responsibilities and nothing to do most of the day, i wrote a few short stories based upon a US dissolution. having just gotten out of the Army, they focused mainly on the troops we have stationed in horrible places, and the natural problems with being a foreign soldier in a foreign land without a country and no great option for getting "home."

my characters were pretty much screwed.. no contact with their families, little word of what was actually happening in the former USA.. a couple made it out and made it home, by the skin of their teeth and with a trail of blood and fallen comrades.. but most were too busy trying to stay alive to engage any real plan of escaping- our forces having divided, units mostly sticking together and becoming their own factions, and now competing for survival against and with islam, and each other.

Thanks for the happy thought. I go back to Iraq next April.:(

variablebinary
12-30-08, 08:50

He fails because he thinks Utah and Idaho will be part of the western bloc...

Hell, Idaho practically allows hanging liberals now so imagine during a free for all

30 cal slut
12-30-08, 09:01
the coloring of the kalifornia bloc on the map is no accident IMHO.

with china's exploding population, alternative food sources will be explored and exploited.

in a soylent green sort of a manner. :eek:

these russian guys have figured it all out. :cool:

p.s. transistor in my foil hat just burned out. doh! :eek:

M4arc
12-30-08, 10:35
This guy obviously didn't take into account the election of the Messiah!

Terry
12-30-08, 10:53
I find it interesting that he claims Mexican and Canadian influence.
I just can't fathom the people of these states giving up all there rights to a Mexican government that can't even govern itself right now.
And how can a Canadian government with a military smaller than the NYC police dept. assert influence on a populace that doesn't want to be governed by liberals, or they wouldn't have ceded in the first place.
The only influence either of these countries will have is economic, and maybe that will be minimal.
Personally, I am for whatever it takes to live free!

Business_Casual
12-30-08, 11:09
The gentleman in question would do well to look to his own country's problems first.

China is not eyeing California - if anything it will be looking at eastern Russia where space and labor-intensive industries (two things it desparately needs during our recession) are abundant.

Secondly, demographic problems: Russia's native population is dwindling and they are having to import labor - which causes unrest and typical racial problems. The "Russian" may die out quickly in any event.

Lastly, their economic "growth" is actually just the increase in mineral prices over the past few years. Now that oil, metal, &c is dropping, their real GDP is driving over a cliff.

They would do well to sort themselves out before predicting our collapse.

M_P

Alpha Sierra
12-30-08, 12:12
I suspect when the free for all happens, "they" won't be in any position to dictate much to the states.

Alpha Sierra-
I've been to Troy, OH.
No, and I don't see what that has to do with anything?

Turnkey11
12-30-08, 12:19

Alpha Sierra-
I've been to Troy, OH.

Theres a Rockford in Iowa, I thought it was in Illinois? Im from Davenport but not gonna help you guys out in 2010 when the Canadians come for you.:D

11Bravo
12-30-08, 19:27
ignore; double post.

11Bravo
12-30-08, 19:29
snip...No, and I don't see what that has to do with anything?
Doesn't have to do with nothin'; just wonderin'.
Since I've been to Troy it would kind of prove the "small world" thing.

d90king
12-30-08, 20:27
Wow, we must REALLY hate China to inflict California on them :D

I was waiting for that one or "let em have it as long as they keep the people"

Mr.Goodtimes
12-30-08, 22:10
Im sorry but the entire south west and south east wont be giving into Mexican rule, much less Texas... and the entire mid west wont be getting governed by the Canuks.

What i could see in the even of a civil war or the collapse of the united states as we know it is, the south, south west, and mid west braking off into their own god/gun/freedom loving country and the north east and west coast turning into some kind of socialist/communist republic.

I think its a shame what the world, what America has come to. I think were hardly the same country we once were. We can't even shoot in self defense anymore with out the worry of going to jail. It seems like most Americans are a bunch of green peace metro sexuals, devoid of balls and morals to stand up for whats right. Hell, most Americans have forgot/don't care about 9/11. Our founding fathers are probably rolling over in their graves right now with the gov like it is.... our gov. is full of socialists, communists, and liberals. The modern democrat is only democrat in name. in practice, today democrats are a bunch of commies and socialists. Lets not forget about that disgusting sorry excuse for a human being barney frank.

America needs a little refreshment, we need to get back to basics. I see America becoming more and more like Europe. I'm all for small gov, leave the people alone and let us take care of our selves. All i want the gov for is a army, to defend me from foreign enemies. ill take care of the domestic ones.

America is no doubt on the road to destruction, its inevitable. The Roman empire collapsed, the soviet union collapsed. It seems that at some point in time, all major powers collapse. Weather America disentegrates into multiple smaller factions peacefully, or weather we fall into another revolution/civil war; something is bound to happen. History tends to mirror itself.

I personally believe that when America desentegrates, its going to be ugly. were going to experience a civil war the likes of which makes our last one look like childs play. we have so much to lose, so much to fight for. there is alot of good folks here in America that are willing to fight and die for whats right.

Me personally, I'll fight for whats right with America till the bitter end, and no socialist/communist or any other soldier of tyranny (foreign or domestic) will ever take me alive. I love America and everything we were founded on. Freedom, free will, the bill of rights etc. and thats something that no one can ever take away from me. Hopefully others feel the same.

-Ryan

LibertyCola
01-02-09, 17:11
Am I the only one who hopes he is right? I think we would have a lot more freedom if we brokeoff into different nations. No ATF, DEA, or IRS sounds good to me. With our 60 trillion dollar debt there are things that would suprise me a lot more than the United States disintegrating.

The Dumb Gun Collector
01-02-09, 17:18
I think you are the only one!:D

armakraut
01-03-09, 05:27
I hear "mother russia" is going to become "muslim russia" by about 2050. Hope the commie professor dude can transition to debates about the leadership qualities of abu baker vs ali.

Most Europeans have apparently chosen to hang separately for the meantime.

Abraxas
01-03-09, 12:32

Agreed

Bat Guano
01-03-09, 15:58
Bottom line to me: under these circumstances, it won't matter too much who is officially in control because the reality will be that no one is in control of much of anything.

Personally, I subscribe to that. Most of what our institutions do is aimed at convincing us that:

1. They really DO know what they're doing; and

2. They should be allowed to do even more of it; preferably with more of our tax dollars. :mad:

How do I know? I used to work for one of them...

I now live in the Empty Quarter, which suggests how much I believed in the party line. :rolleyes:

DocMinster
01-03-09, 17:22
woooollllverrrrrreeeeeeeennnnss

http://meekmok.com/muaddib/images/blog/wolverines.jpg

sorry somebody had to post that. :p

Amen brother

Mines13
01-03-09, 19:09
This guy is on meth.

OneKYards
01-03-09, 22:11
That looks more like a National map for a Pharmaceutical Company. According to Nostradamus, a huge Asteriod will hit the ocean sparking famine, death, and World War III.

We all know where WWIII will take place. Sand and Rocks.

royta
01-04-09, 17:28

He fails because he thinks Utah and Idaho will be part of the western bloc...

Hell, Idaho practically allows hanging liberals now so imagine during a free for all

Don't forget The State of Jefferson in there too. If the USA is seperating, The State of Jefferson certainly won't go the way of Oregon and California. Neither would Eastern Oregon. Their political thinking is more along the lines of the Rocky Mountain states.

sigpro
01-05-09, 16:34
Invasion will occur; not if, but when. Future invasion was predicted by a psychic catholic priest who went on the radio late night show Coast-to-Coast AM. Don't remember his name. This priest also correctly predicted the 9-11-2001 attack.