PDA

View Full Version : WMD Guns parts kit quality?

Disciple
04-13-23, 13:19
I have a WMD Nitromet castle nut and I like it enough I would get another. Searching for a vendor I found that they make a Nitromet parts kit (https://www.rainierarms.com/wmd-guns-accent-build-kit-5-56-nitromet/). Considering the extras included (castle nut, end plate, and upper receiver kit) it's not a bad price I think. Would you trust these parts?

settingsuns
04-13-23, 20:58
I've used a number of WMD's parts, never an issue

Disciple
04-19-23, 10:27
Anyone else? No disrespect to settingsuns, but a small sample isn't great for detecting quality control problems and the silence from other members is concerning.

I bought a WMD Nitromet magazine catch and again I find it superior in function to the phosphate equivalent. Metal magazines insert and release more easily due to the smoother, lower friction finish as the geometry is the same. This is a better mousetrap at a fraction of the cost of premium enhancement parts. I do not understand why these are not more popular unless the inherent quality is low or there are issues with brittle or soft parts.

georgeib
04-19-23, 10:48
Haven't thought or heard about WMD in a few years, but the last things I did read (on M4C IIRC) were about issues with their quality. I want to say it was a BCG that had problems. Also, there's a reason small parts aren't nitrided by a lot of people and it has to do with embrittling the parts. With a larger piece, you'll get the surface hardening benefit of nitride while still maintaining the more ductile core, whereas I've read that with small parts there is a tendency to lose the softer core.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with nitrided small parts.

Disciple
04-19-23, 11:57
Haven't thought or heard about WMD in a few years, but the last things I did read (on M4C IIRC) were about issues with their quality. I want to say it was a BCG that had problems. Also, there's a reason small parts aren't nitrided by a lot of people and it has to do with embrittling the parts. With a larger piece, you'll get the surface hardening benefit of nitride while still maintaining the more ductile core, whereas I've read that with small parts there is a tendency to lose the softer core.

Okay. There are a lot of interacting tolerances in a BCG so I stay with leading brands on those.

Embrittlement is just the kind of thing I was worried about. Forward Controls Design nitride treats their magazine catches and selectors and as far as I can tell they are considered top quality and duty grade, so apparently it can be done right on those. However FCD uses DLC on their bolt catches so I will avoid nitride on that part. I will try the WMD Nitromet selector and leave the other parts alone.

Hank6046
04-19-23, 12:48
I have a WMD BDG from 2014-15ish, Nickel Boron of course (Tactical FAD alert). It has worked great, probably 3-4k rounds, the only reason I really don't use it is it's the Semi-Auto cut.

Curlew
04-19-23, 13:27
Anyone else? No disrespect to settingsuns, but a small sample isn't great for detecting quality control problems and the silence from other members is concerning.I once needed a commercial-diameter receiver extension, and they were about the only place that I could find one. It was complete junk — the length was way off, something like 1/4” too long IIRC. I’ve avoided them since.

settingsuns
04-20-23, 13:34
Well,

I've bought at least 3 WMD AR trigger groups and several firing pins and cam pins. Think I've got WMD bolt as well.

HKGuns
04-20-23, 15:27
I won’t be a lot of help.

I use only Colt or Sionics LPK’s as the cost savings isn’t worth the risk of a small part failure disabling a rifle.

The lack of response is probably the answer you sought.

Disciple
04-20-23, 15:45

It is, though I still like the two parts I have.

Hank6046
04-20-23, 16:20
I won’t be a lot of help.

I use only Colt or Sionics LPK’s as the cost savings isn’t worth the risk of a small part failure disabling a rifle.

^^^this, knowing what I know and how many good companies their are out there now, I would look elsewhere