PDA

View Full Version : Trading up? Older Smiths for Sig.

danasaki
04-16-23, 07:38
A local dealer has a Sig P220 Legion that I’ve discovered I really like. I have a couple of older guns I would offer in trade but am I losing out on anything with my trade? I have a Smith 4506 and a Smith 4006 TSW, both in excellent working condition, great shooters, that are solid guns. They’re range guns, toys that were bought just because I found them sitting in a shop, but I can see the P220 being a carry gun whereas the Smiths are not used as such.

The Legion package is half upgrades and half hype but the Sig P220 has a great performance record that is hard to argue.

Any reason I should hold onto those old Smith workhorses?

Thanks for any helpful insight.

yoni
04-16-23, 08:15
I see nothing to lose if you trim out the older guns for something you want .

I kind of did the same thing when I took my older Gen 3 Glocks, and built them into something that met my need better. I am at the point where I am so happy with what I built, that I don't lust after other pistols much. I will admit to having learned somethings as the process went on that I would build them a little different if I was going to do it from the get go. But the differences are minor.

I did some force on force training the other day and I have to say the Leupold Delta Micro was fast on getting shots on live moving targets

HKGuns
04-16-23, 10:51
I don't get rid of guns. I learned my lesson after selling some 50's and early 60's vintage amps that I now deeply regret.

They are nice pistols though.

https://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p1411391039-5.jpg

https://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p1411391054-5.jpg

.45fan
04-16-23, 11:04
The older S&W's are worth decent money depending on model and caliber.

I'm guessing you could get close to a grand for the 4506 not sure of value on the 4006 as that caliber isn't popular anymore, great gun but you would need to find someone wanting that caliber to get good money for it.

You would be lucky to get half their values trading them to a dealer.

Rifleman_04
04-16-23, 12:16
Keep the 3rd gen smiths and get the 220.

My plain 220R is one of my favorites.

ST911
04-16-23, 16:13
There is a bit of a cult-interest in third gen smiths. You might shop them around for a sale instead of trading them in.

danasaki
04-16-23, 18:48
I agree, keeping them is probably the best solution at this point. They are great guns and a lot of fun to shoot and are built like tanks and just keep going and going...

Tomahawk_Ghost
04-18-23, 20:27
The Sig P220 Legion will still be manufactured next year. No possible legislation would effect you being able to buy it in the future. 3rd Gen Smiths especially the Sonny Crockett 4506 is a cult gun I would not part with.

SteyrAUG
04-19-23, 00:05
There is a bit of a cult-interest in third gen smiths. You might shop them around for a sale instead of trading them in.

So much this. While I personally hate them, lots of people are really into them. And while we are at it, you might want to consider an "old school" P220.

Pappabear
04-25-23, 18:00
I have the Legion 220 and mine has run great, Now me shooting a 45 was a relearning lesson, but a good one. Get the 220 regardless what else you do with the older guns. I traded in a 6906 towards a Dirty Harry 44 mag 100 years ago. But dont know your guns well.

PB