PDA

View Full Version : 10mm Auto vs .357 SIG

hoopharted
04-19-23, 10:21
anyone have any experience with both? was curious on thoughts as comparison , i have a Glock 20 but admittedly am intrigued by .357 SIG boasting less recoil , not that i find the 10mm auto excessive , love the pistol , also it seems ammo availability seems to be more available and cheaper than .357 sig

04-19-23, 10:27
I’ve got experience with both. I would, and did, choose .357 Sig or 9x25 Dillon over 10mm or .40.

Bullet setback is a potential concern. Mostly for carriers and reloaders.

markm
04-19-23, 10:51
I've only fired 10mm, but based on frame size, I'd be leaning towards 357 sig. Plus, Yoni has a 357 sig fettish.

04-19-23, 10:58
I've only fired 10mm, but based on frame size, I'd be leaning towards 357 sig. Plus, Yoni has a 357 sig fettish.

For frame size, what gen guns are we talking about, OP?

Bret
04-19-23, 11:03
I have several pistols chambered in both. In my opinion, it comes down to the frame size of the pistol you're going to use. If it's going to be a large frame gun (think 45ACP or 38Super length cartridge), then go with the 10mm. If it's a small frame gun (think 9mm or 40S&W length cartridge), then go with 357Sig. One thing that I don't recommend is 357Sig in a large framed pistol such as a 1911. It will run, but you give up capacity and a large part of the reason for the 357Sig existing, which is a higher velocity 9mm in a small framed pistol. If you want to go the route of a higher velocity 9mm in a 1911, then I'd recommend the 9x23 Winchester. Unlike the 357Sig, it's easy to reload and you'll likely end up with a couple of additional cartridges in the magazine.

czgunner
04-19-23, 12:18
I own and load for both. I've never had an issue with bullet setback in 357 SIG. If you are concerned about that, there are case filling powders that keep pressures safe and physically stop bullet setback.
You can load 357 SIG for about what it costs to load 9mm if you shop wisely.
The only 10mm that fits well for me is the M&P, so that's what I have.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

04-19-23, 12:22
I own and load for both. I've never had an issue with bullet setback in 357 SIG. If you are concerned about that, there are case filling powders that keep pressures safe and physically stop bullet setback.
The only 10mm that fits well for me is the M&P, so that's what I have.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Yes, its an overblown issue that doesn’t really happen in “normal” use.

If you happen to be a Glock guy, but don’t like the Tens, try a fourth or fifth gen (I think) if you can handle one at no cost. The 4th gen was a big improvement for the larger cartridges and is why the Slim Frames didn’t survive the generational changes.

WillBrink
04-19-23, 13:16
anyone have any experience with both? was curious on thoughts as comparison , i have a Glock 20 but admittedly am intrigued by .357 SIG boasting less recoil , not that i find the 10mm auto excessive , love the pistol , also it seems ammo availability seems to be more available and cheaper than .357 sig

What type of experience? "On paper" full house 10mm is a superior rnd all things being equal. Intended use is what determines the rest as to choices.

caporider
04-19-23, 13:28
Yes, its an overblown issue that doesn’t really happen in “normal” use.

If you happen to be a Glock guy, but don’t like the Tens, try a fourth or fifth gen (I think) if you can handle one at no cost. The 4th gen was a big improvement for the larger cartridges and is why the Slim Frames didn’t survive the generational changes.

Yep, my G20 Gen 5 has a very manageable grip.

300blkjunkie
04-21-23, 15:49
I have used 10mm and 357 Sig in Glocks and 1911's.
The most pleasant to shoot was the 1911 full size in 357Sig but as someone already stated it was only a single stack and while comfortable, still not optimal for carry. It also put on a pretty good light show at indoor ranges.
I also had a G35 barrel I used to swap into a G22 for kicks. Different "faster" recoil impulse but it felt similar to the .40. The additional length of the 35 barrel cut down the light show and put some more speed on the projectile though.
Both 10mm and .357 Sig are enhanced by the longer Glocks and if you hand load or reload thats where the fun is.
357 Sig became one of too many irons in the fire so I moved away from it.

yoni
04-21-23, 16:11
For EDC, everyone knows I am a big .357sig fan, due to Leighi Defense rounds from Underwood. If only hollowpoint ammo was available then I would go 9mm.

If I lived in big bear land, then I would go 10mm or 460 Rowland.

hoopharted
04-24-23, 12:06
awsome info guys , apologies , i totally brain farted i started this thread , i was just more curious as to comparisons or if comparing the 2 were like comparing apples to oranges , i dont think at this time i will delve into the caliber , i am more than happy with my Glock 20 , and there are a few other pistols i need to fill some holes , maybe at a later time

i could not find one shop locally that even carried .357 SIG ammo and i am not a reloader

thanks again for the replies and the amount of info