PDA

View Full Version : The Roland Special gen 5

Sidneyious
04-22-23, 14:32
So I finally got to the range to see if this thing would work or be a grenade.

G19.5
Jagerwerks cut
rm06 type 2
Kkm barrel and comp
AmariGlo sights
Kagwerks slide lever
Mars mag thing
X300

124g gold dot(old carry ammo)
124g NATO

45-50ish rounds of gd zero issues
70ish of NATO I had 2 failure to feed.

One case was scrapped pretty hard(range trashed it) and another nothing was wrong and cycled fine.

I like the comp aspect, did what it was supposed to do.
Definitely felt the change in recoil impulse.

Now I know with compd guns you want to use full power loads.

Both ftfeed the round was sort of in the chamber, should I worry about getting different springs?

Could it have been that the previous round fired may have been a weaker loading that caused some sort of cycle issue that the next round didn't go right in the chamber?

Could it be a brake in thing?
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230422/6ca4fc7fc2c6c52d0ebdee7d5a037a71.jpg

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-22-23, 16:16
There are comps that work just fine without changing springs or loads. KKM is notoriously finnicky, PMM is not.

DG23
04-22-23, 22:20
I like the comp aspect, did what it was supposed to do.
Definitely felt the change in recoil impulse.

Now I know with compd guns you want to use full power loads.

Both ftfeed the round was sort of in the chamber, should I worry about getting different springs?

Could it have been that the previous round fired may have been a weaker loading that caused some sort of cycle issue that the next round didn't go right in the chamber?

Could it be a brake in thing?

What was it 'supposed' to do with the ports on the sides like that?

It sure as shit is not redirecting the majority of the gasses UP to help drive the barrel down...

Sidneyious
04-23-23, 07:11
Look man I'm just trying to figure out if the 2 ftf was due to possible under pressure load or a spring.

Inkslinger
04-23-23, 08:37

It sure as shit is not redirecting the majority of the gasses UP to help drive the barrel down...

The KKM comp has two larger ports on the top.

Bret
04-26-23, 10:09
Look man I'm just trying to figure out if the 2 ftf was due to possible under pressure load or a spring.
If the slide was able to go back far enough to eject the spent case and push the base of the next cartridge forward at all, then the previous cartridge load did its job. The recoil spring should then be enough to push the cartridge in to the chamber.

Bret
04-26-23, 10:09
If the slide was able to go back far enough to eject the spent case and push the base of the next cartridge forward at all, then the previous cartridge load did its job. The recoil spring should then be enough to push the cartridge in to the chamber.

Defaultmp3
04-26-23, 10:20

It sure as shit is not redirecting the majority of the gasses UP to help drive the barrel down...It reduces recoil, so in this case, the KKM Compensator provides both braking and compensation. Something like a PMM would be a pure comp with no noticeable braking.

RHINOWSO
04-27-23, 09:08
It really depends on the design of the comp (ports, weight, etc).

I have a Gen 4 Radian barrel / setup which uses the OEM RSA and a Sage/Agency Gen 5 which has it's own RSA setup.

The Radian was pretty much flawless to my recollection and the Sage took some break in to run mild loads; it worked fine with full power from jump however.

People often forget that firearms are operating system that have tolerances - when you start to mess with them, issue are possible. Which can be as simple as running weak or uber strong ammo, or changing barrels, RSAs, adding comps, etc.

I want it running trouble free for at least 500rds after a big change like a barrel / barrel & comp; all OEM I am fine with a Glock running 100rds if I had to (although I usually shoot a new one more than that, but I've never had issues with an all OEM Glock & Mags shooting full power 9MM reliably). All failures I've had have been non-OEM mags with weak ammo (PMAGs with steel case, or those awful ETS mags with almost everything) or breaking in the Sage Comp. And yes, sometimes you get a hard primer with steel and sometimes weak ammo is weak.

Sidneyious
04-28-23, 18:20

I have a Gen 4 Radian barrel / setup which uses the OEM RSA and a Sage/Agency Gen 5 which has it's own RSA setup.

The Radian was pretty much flawless to my recollection and the Sage took some break in to run mild loads; it worked fine with full power from jump however.

People often forget that firearms are operating system that have tolerances - when you start to mess with them, issue are possible. Which can be as simple as running weak or uber strong ammo, or changing barrels, RSAs, adding comps, etc.

I want it running trouble free for at least 500rds after a big change like a barrel / barrel & comp; all OEM I am fine with a Glock running 100rds if I had to (although I usually shoot a new one more than that, but I've never had issues with an all OEM Glock & Mags shooting full power 9MM reliably). All failures I've had have been non-OEM mags with weak ammo (PMAGs with steel case, or those awful ETS mags with almost everything) or breaking in the Sage Comp. And yes, sometimes you get a hard primer with steel and sometimes weak ammo is weak.

Yeah, I was hoping to reduce any variable in what I came up with, Im going to say it was probably something in the slide getting worked in, but only 2 malfunctions on a completely unfired gun sound alright to me.
If the spent case didnt really go anywhere it was supposed to I would say it might have something to do with my "bent" ejector, I did kinda bugger it up when I was swapping out the mag release.

The more I look at it the more I think I ****ed it up but it was working fine till about halfway through the 124g fmj

https://i.ibb.co/D9MLbYJ/IMG-20230428-181717827.jpg (https://ibb.co/wSQYL7k)

Inkslinger
04-28-23, 18:48
You probably just need to work your recoil spring in a bit. In the beginning mine would give me some problems with weaker loads. Mostly failure to lock open on the last round. This is a known issue with the “Roland”. It’s really meant for high pressure defensive rounds which clearly you had no issues with.

DG23
04-29-23, 12:54

Yep.

That and the ammo.

Ports don't matter much when there are insufficient gasses to drive them.