PDA

View Full Version : ArmaLite vs Sig - What about you?

JediGuy
04-23-23, 06:05
Though the MCX has been around for a while, it has been a clear trend for trainers to use an MC/SPEAR over the past year (local and “big name”). My assumption is that with the military’s adoption, trainers a) like something new and cool anyway and b) need and want to be familiar with frequent customers’ weapons.

Who has an MCX or MCX SPEAR? If you don’t have one now, do you plan to get one?

Alpha-17
04-23-23, 08:00
I'm interested in the SPEAR, just not interested enough to justify that price tag. We'll see how things play out, and maybe I'll be more interested when Sig releases the second generation version that has the bugs ironed out. (no idea if bugs exist, but let's be honest, this is Sig we're talking about)

crosseyedshooter
04-23-23, 20:36
I had the first Gen MCX and found that it’s quite good for a short-stroke piston but, as you alluded, you really have to know what the little problems are and how to get around them. Everyone is so familiar with the drawbacks of the AR15 that we all take them for granted and just tune buffers, springs, gas blocks, etc.

The history of MCX problems include 300BLK slam fires, high carrier speeds, AR trigger compatibility, poor accuracy, over-gassing, handguard shifting, heavy weight and that’s just odd the top of my head. The Spear LT has addressed a number of MCX issues. The ones that I still read about on the Spear LT are handguard shifting and over-gassing depending on the suppressor.

Keep in mind the history of MCX applies directly to the Spear LT but not sure how any of it translates to the Spear.

556Cliff
04-23-23, 21:14
I won't be buying one... And not just because I live in a ban state now. I just never saw the appeal of the MCX.

It's basically just a piston AR that identifies as a unicorn.

Sooter76
04-24-23, 08:47
I like the new MCX LT… The full size SPEAR is another animal altogether and I suspect in the end it will not see as service-wide adoption as so many bean counters claim. That said, I’m not hot to pick one up. $2500+ is a lot of money for a rifle that in essence isn’t Honestly anything new. People bitch about the M4 being a 70 year old design, but crow about the MCX/SPEAR’s 60 year old design!? I don’t get it… Seriously, the operating system is ripped straight from the AR-180.

SIG didn’t really design anything new with the MCX, they just took Stoner’s two best designs and combined them into one…