PDA

View Full Version : Just got a M&P15A. Have a s/n question.

MachineHead155
12-29-08, 17:00
Okay this kind of concerns me. I just got a "new" M&P 15A about two weeks ago and after surfing the web, I'm noticing how low my serial number is compared to everyone elses. A lot of posts I'm reading date back to February of this year and people are mentioning their serial numbers being in the 60000 and 70000 range. Well after looking at my s/n (and remember I just bought this rifle two weeks ago), I'm at 43XXX. But how can that be? That seems awfully low.

Is there reason for concern here? I mean, where has this particular rifle been all this time? Have there been any updates to the M&P since then? Thanks for the help.

kwelz
12-29-08, 17:49
Without more info it is hard to tell. But I can tell you that when I worked at Kieslers we had rifles stacked as mch as 10 high on a shelf. If we sold 8 from that stack and got 8 more in we didn't rotate the inventory, they just dumped those 8 new ones on top of the old ones. One advantage of working there was being able to check out the system and see what interesting and/or old Serial numbers we had. There were some Guns that were probably not make int he same Decade because of how stock was handled.

I would bet that is normal anywhere.

Gewehr455
12-29-08, 22:26
My 15A purchased in October is an 81,000 serial number.

austinN4
12-30-08, 10:22
Call S&W customer service, give them the serial number and ask them when it was built. Also, since you bought a new gun, you did ge the box didn't you? There should be some date on there somewhere.

Scott72
12-30-08, 13:11
Just bought a 15 FT and my serial number is also 43xxx. Looked on the box and it's date from Smith was in October. My dealer said it came straight from Smith - I had to wait for it to come in, so it wasn't something in stock. Sent and e-mail to smith to confirm when it was built but haven't heard anything. It does take P-mags with no issues.

MachineHead155
12-30-08, 16:07
No. My rifle didn't come in a box. It came in a gun case with the Smith & Wesson logo on it and a tag that has the s/n, product number, caliber and lots of other information, but I don't see a date. Hmmm....

austinN4
12-30-08, 16:45
No. My rifle didn't come in a box. It came in a gun case with the Smith & Wesson logo on it and a tag that has the s/n, product number, caliber and lots of other information, but I don't see a date.
My 15A came in the case also, but IIRC, and I may not, I think the case, in turn, was inside the carboard shipping box. I can't check as I sold it to fund another project. Call S&W.

Irish10
12-30-08, 16:58
What's you major concern. Bottom line is that if you have one of the "problem" M&Ps, S&W will take care of it. They have great customer service. Why work yourself into a frenzy, take it out, shoot it and if there are any issues send it in to get fixed. My "A" model is a 54xxx serial and it works like a champ, no issues of any kind. It has the LMT bcg, everything is properly staked and it is an accurate SOB. I actually like it better than my "T" model which was made this year.

xxTxxJxx
12-30-08, 21:53
I wouldn't worry to much about the date your warranty starts from the date of purchase. FWIW i bought mine used back in May and my serial #is 58xxx

nighthawk756
01-03-09, 00:50
Yeah, I suggest calling S&W and they'll help you.

I just bought my T model last month brand new in the cardboard box and it's a 99XXX serial.

g5m
01-03-09, 10:17
What's you major concern. Bottom line is that if you have one of the "problem" M&Ps, S&W will take care of it. They have great customer service. Why work yourself into a frenzy, take it out, shoot it and if there are any issues send it in to get fixed. My "A" model is a 54xxx serial and it works like a champ, no issues of any kind. It has the LMT bcg, everything is properly staked and it is an accurate SOB. I actually like it better than my "T" model which was made this year.

What is the 'problem' with the 'problem' S&W's?

Irish10
01-03-09, 17:05
They weren't staked properly, the mag well was out of spec and wouldn't take PMAGS and I belive they used a different bolt carrier group. There were other issues as well but these seem to be the most prominent. Both of mine have the LMT BCG. I believe this was limited to the first production models that Stag built for them.