PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Mk II target followed me home

hoopharted
04-28-23, 18:47
complements my 1980 standard , its a 1982 MkII Target , tapered Bull Barrel , rainy today ,hopefully i can give it some play this weekend

https://i.ibb.co/f08LNQ2/P4260040.jpg (https://ibb.co/JkxgpCK)

AndyLate
04-29-23, 06:22
First year MKII and late Standard Model, that's very nice! I have a similar pair, but mine are both MKII and my target model is a 5.5" bull barrel. Mine are different enough that I really enjoy both, and I am guessing you will find the same.

Is the MKII grip frame well worn or it it the lighting? My bull barrel has a fair bit of bluing polished off the grip, just shows how much I have enjoyed it.

The magazines straight up interchange on yours, right? Does the the Standard Model (aka MKI) magazine lock the bolt open on (edit) the MKII?

Very nice brace of pistols for sure!

Andy

hoopharted
04-29-23, 09:32
First year MKII and late Standard Model, that's very nice! I have a similar pair, but mine are both MKII and my target model is a 5.5" bull barrel. Mine are different enough that I really enjoy both, and I am guessing you will find the same.

Is the MKII grip frame well worn or it it the lighting? My bull barrel has a fair bit of bluing polished off the grip, just shows how much I have enjoyed it.

The magazines straight up interchange on yours, right? Does the the Standard Model (aka MKI) magazine lock the bolt open on my MKII?

Andy

bluing is not worn , think that was the lighting and the wet deck , complete overcast , both pistols the bluing is deep and uniform , with very slight wear starting around the trigger guard on the Standard but you have to look for it to notice

mags are interchangeable ,buttons are different but both fit in each other ,no bolt hold open on the Standard ,have to pull slide and engage safety , yes bolt hold open with the MkII with release button ,and the standard mag in the target still has Bolt hold open , but still no bolt hold open with the Mk 2 mag in the standard

the checkered grips are still bery sharp and not worn down

think i have a line on a Mk 1 target

hoopharted
04-29-23, 09:33

The magazines straight up interchange on yours, right? Does the the Standard Model (aka MKI) magazine lock the bolt open on my MKII?

Andy

bluing is not worn , think that was the lighting and the wet deck , complete overcast , both pistols the bluing is deep and uniform , with very slight wear starting around the trigger guard on the Standard but you have to look for it to notice

mags are interchangeable ,buttons are different but both fit in each other ,no bolt hold open on the Standard ,have to pull slide and engage safety , yes bolt hold open with the MkII with release button ,and the standard mag in the target still has Bolt hold open , but still no bolt hold open with the Mk 2 mag in the standard

the checkered grips are still bery sharp and not worn down

think i have a line on a Mk 1 target

RugerMKII
04-30-23, 08:42
A really nice pair of Rugers. I would like to have my Mark I 5.5 back, but it is good hands. my son appropriated it.
Look around for a Mark II Government model. I really like the way it balances in my hand. I also picked up a 10" model over the winter. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Good luck with them.

hoopharted
04-30-23, 08:57
A really nice pair of Rugers. I would like to have my Mark I 5.5 back, but it is good hands. my son appropriated it.
Look around for a Mark II Government model. I really like the way it balances in my hand. I also picked up a 10" model over the winter. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Good luck with them.
hankyou ,i think im going older next , a Mk1 target , ive been priced out of allot of my previous collecting genres , K98 , G43 , P08,P38 (war), Chicom Ak so these pistols have reignited my collectors bug

AndyLate
04-30-23, 12:29
I struggle to resist the urge to buy more Ruger autos. The thing is that there are distinctly different models, each with its own strengths. The tapered target like Hoop's, the Government Targets, the standards, the ever popular 5.5" bull barrel, etc. I am keeping my eyes open for a 6" standard model MKII for sure. I lucked out and hit a table with a guy selling new in the (mildewed) package MKII mags for $10 and bought every one he had. In a way I am lucky, because it gave me an excuse to restrict myself to MKIIs.

If I could only have one, it would be a 4 or 6 inch standard (I think).

Andy

GNXII
04-30-23, 17:07
5 years ago, I picked up 2 guns from a small shop that was closing for good: a used G17Gen 3 and NOS Ruger MkII Bullbarrel that was left in shop for years after buyers check bounced and never came into straighten things out. For some reason the MKII got put on a shelf and was forgotten about. The box and all the paperwork were filthy and dry rotted but the gun was pristine. I actually forgot I had them both and never took them to test out until last fall! The MKII was and is a laser with a lot of ammo as is.Very impressed with it.

Lefty223
04-30-23, 18:54
Nice!

When I was actively ‘smithing, I could get the best trigger results on Mk IIs, even made slip over compensators that fit around the front sight (large O-Ring @ the muzzle end) well before Volquartsen started making them. One lowly Mk II shooter was 2nd in his State in bullseye competition … that used to crack us up!

My only personal one left is the 12” barreled version.

AndyLate
04-30-23, 21:43
It surprises me how decent a trigger I got on my MKII standard with a VQ sear, Clark bushings/pin, and adjusting a factory "target" trigger. The trigger came from my my 5.5" bull, which now has an AMT trigger with external overtravel adjustment and the same sear, bushings and pin.

They don't have triggers like a proper $$$ target pistol, but they are certainly are not holding me back.

Andy

P.S. Adjusting the Ruger target trigger is a huge PITA, but worth the time - you only have to do it once.

Lefty223
05-01-23, 15:54
I should have added … make a new taller follower for the Mk 1s that has a ‘step’ in it & it will function to hold the bolt open. You must pull it all the way back to lock it open though …

markm
05-01-23, 16:06
We used to go get 550 round packs of 22 and shoot the entire thing every weekend in my old Ruger Mk I. I think it was a 60s era pistol. Eventually bought the 40th aniversary model, but it doesn't run that well. I haven't shot it in years.