PDA

View Full Version : Reloading noob, help

HES
12-29-08, 18:33
So I've wanted to get into reloading. I did my research and felt that either a Hornady, Lee, or Dillion 550B would do me well but I had a preference for the Hornady. But I have been hesitant in purchasing a press due to the initial costs and also cause I'm not 100% sure of everything. Well lo and behold Christmas came and my lovely bride just lovingly kicked over an ant hill. She got me the following

Digital Calipers
Lyman brass cleaner
digital scale
powder measuring cup
a used Hornady LNL AP

The Hornady was the result of a guy getting it, getting a boat load of shell plates, dies for .44 mag and then passing away, and then the family wanting to get rid of it fast

So yeah I have this stuff (I love my wife), but I'm a bit intimidated (she's gonna be the death of me).

I guess my question is...where do I go from here? I've got Lymans 48th edition and am reading it like a man man, but I freely admit that I am in over my head. I'm going to need a media separator right? Since I can be a rock head when it comes to reading manuals, would a video like (http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=877694) this be a worthy investment? I'm going to want to reload .223 and .40 for now. So would all I need to do is buy dies like this (http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=440144) for .223 and this (http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=122900) for .40? What about a case trimmer? Do either of these (1 (http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=715371) or 2) look good? What about a sizer die? Necessary for my needs? What about the RCBS Tim Mate (https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/MainServlet?storeId=webconnect&catalogId=webconnect&langId=en_US&action=ProductDisplay&screenlabel=index&productId=3170&route=C11J037)? Worth it?

As I has said, I freely admit that I am in over my head. I'm trying to rectify that so I welcome any comments.

xxTxxJxx
12-30-08, 21:15
you don't really need a media separator but they help, you i use a cheap sift style one and a cake plate lid and it works great,

the press will be dependent on what you want to reload the Dillion is the Cats Meow but not really an Ideal choice for reloading rifle cartridges, im pretty anal retentive when it comes to loading so i do everything on a single stage RCBS Rock chucker but break down most things in to Tasks,

weekend 1 i tumble all my brass
weekend 2 day 1 I deprime and FL resize all my brass
weekend 2 day 2 I trim and Swag the primer pockets
Weekend 3 day 1 I reprime all my brass
Weekend 3 day 2 I start reloading typically I load around 500-1000 rounds through out the day in 100 round batches

ar-junkie
01-03-09, 01:47
You are on the right track, just keep reading. As for the "trim mate" I'm sure those help. You can buy a shell length gauge and chaffer thingy for nothing but those trim mates look very helpful as I have never used one (want one though).

Good luck and welcome to the world of reloading....

chadbag
01-03-09, 02:20
You can always spend more money ;-)

trimming sucks. How much 223 are you shooting?

Ignore those who say you have to use a single stage for rifles. You can load match grade rifle on your Hornady or other good progressive. Just be methodical and don't scrimp on steps.

Here are the minimum tools you need:

press, shellplate, dies (whatever other caliber specific parts the Hornady may require -- I am a Dillon guy so am not familiar with the Hornady)

scale
caliper
primer flip tray

manual

some way to clean your brass

for 223 some way to trim it.

case lube. Spray lube is easier to work with. When using spray lube make sure after spraying to let the carrier (alcohol or whatever they use) evaporate or you will end up with stuck cases

You have a good start with much of this stuff. If you have someone in your area who loads see if they will help you get started. Otherwise, look on YouTube for Hornady related videos, read the first 1/2 of the Lyman manual as appropriate to understand basic concepts, and read the Hornady manual for that model press (get one from Hornady if your press did not come with it). Take your time. Don't rush. It is not hard

basic steps are

tumble/clean your brass

on the press you

size and deprime

(for 223 trim in here may also be appropriate -- if you use something like the Dillon trimmer you size and trim all your brass at once and then reset the "toolhead" or on the Hornady your die "sleeves" or whatever the things are called for normal loading)

powder
bullet seating
crimping

The hornady manual should instruct you on how to set the dies. A "trick" is to use an already loaded piece of ammo to set the seating and crimp dies initial settings even though you will still have to final adjustments -- it gets you close

Chad

HES
01-03-09, 07:53
Thanks for the advice. Prior to my surgery I was shooting about 300 to 500 rounds a month of .223 and about 200 rounds of .40. I plan on getting back to that level once this shoulder is all mended in a few months. I did just finish the Lymans. Then I've book marked a boat load of Youtube videos. Then I've got a friend who can review with me. Oh yeah Im gonna need to build a dedicated bench. Yeah I've got my work cut out for me but thats ok, it keeps me off the streets.:D