PDA

View Full Version : FrogLube Issue with long term stored weapons.

markm
05-03-23, 10:28
I'm a huge fan and regular user of Froglube for the AR15 bolt carrier group specifically.

But a buddy of ours who has some collector guns, (he's an HK, AK, Knights, etc nut) text last night all pissed off about his stored guns being stuck shut. He'd apparently cleaned and lubed them with Froglube years back when the product was more popular, and now he said his HK (I'm guessing 416 thing) is stuck shut, and he couldn't even mortar it open.

Have you heard of such stuff??

Hush
05-03-23, 10:29
Yes, it's industrial food slicer lubricant. And it gums and glues up something awful. I had a friend who used it on his buffer spring, and it gummed up the buffer tube so bad the gun was completely inoperable.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Wake27
05-03-23, 10:29
Yeah I remember this being a big deal on the Internet years ago. I didn’t know anyone still used the stuff after that. I’m sure it was discussed in here somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

markm
05-03-23, 10:36
I've been running it non stop since it was cool to use it. Never an issue. (why the fukk someone would put it on his buffer spring is beyond me... that's someone who is destined for much struggle in life)

abara6
05-03-23, 10:52
I wouldn't let any gun sit untouched for over a year. I relube at least once a year in storage. Probably best to use CLP Collector since its made for long term storage.

Frog lube works when you're its on an active gun but isn't great for a stored one.

markm
05-03-23, 11:08
Frog lube works when you're its on an active gun but isn't great for a stored one.

Sounds like that's the gist of it. He had 3 guns. Two fought him and it was an HK91 that won't open up.

I never loved FL in pistols, but the BCG on an AR? I've never found anything half as good as FL.

Hank6046
05-03-23, 11:23
I'm shocked Frog Lube is still around after all the lawsuits they lost, they famously had failures in winter weather and changed their terms on how to apply which may or may not help, but from what I have been told by a lot of people is stay away from the "Bio" based lubes.

ChrisM516
05-03-23, 12:17
Fairly new to this hobby and had never heard of Frog Lube issues even after scouring the huge threads about what lube to use. Thanks for the background info!

*Cue "what's the best gun lube?" thread*

RHINOWSO
05-03-23, 12:19
I didn't know people still used seal-FROG-Lube.

I figured their 15 min of fame had expired.

RHINOWSO
05-03-23, 12:22
I never loved FL in pistols, but the BCG on an AR? I've never found anything half as good as FL.

By what standard I have to ask? I guess I haven't been in the game long enough (nearly 30 years) to have seen an issue with using general quality lubricants / greases on firearms.

I mainly use SLIP2000 stuff these days and have for almost a decade. But I'm sure there are others out there that are good enough.

Then again I don't go through lube as fast as some people here who seem to change whenever the latest GubTuber or FirearmCompany endorsed a new lube...

Hank6046
05-03-23, 12:47
*Cue "what's the best gun lube?" thread*

I don't know if there is a "best" one. Like a lot of people I use Slip2000, which seems to work for me until about 10-20 degrees F, then good ole' CLP works, but just like the military, you always end up using too much and at the same time never have enough. I use Rem oil on pistols, lever actions and every once in awhile an AR, and it works, but just okay.

Stickman
05-03-23, 13:31
I'm shocked Frog Lube is still around after all the lawsuits they lost....

Can you provide some links to lawsuits they lost? I haven't heard of any, though in todays litigious world nothing should shock me anymore.

markm
05-03-23, 13:31
By what standard I have to ask? I guess I haven't been in the game long enough (nearly 30 years) to have seen an issue with using general quality lubricants / greases on firearms.

My standard is that the stuff stays there, stays wet, thickens up a little when cool, and flows again when hot. I tried a lot of different lubricants before, including Mobile one, and grease. They worked ok, but didn't stay where they were supposed to for long enough.

I mainly use SLIP2000 stuff these days and have for almost a decade. But I'm sure there are others out there that are good enough.

I tried Slip 2000, and for me, it was about like Rem Oil. Thin and not very good. I tried using it on my reloading press shaft to get some value from it, and it wasn't good there either. Just too thin and didn't last.

Can you provide some links to lawsuits they lost? I haven't heard of any, though in todays litigious world nothing should shock me anymore.

Yeah. I can't imagine a non toxic product yielding a settlement, but scumbag lawyers will scumbag.

markm
05-03-23, 13:35
Fairly new to this hobby and had never heard of Frog Lube issues even after scouring the huge threads about what lube to use. Thanks for the background info!

I honestly would NOT use it to store guns anyway. Again, I think the guy socked away these guns when FL was the cool shit.

For storage, I'd pick regular old CLP or something. But for AR BCGs, there's no way I'm giving up Froglube. Popular online or not, it works damned good for Desert ARs.

Again, I think the guy socked away these guns when FL was the cool shit.

Hush
05-03-23, 13:41
Froglube is more gimmick than gun oil. It's downsides are well documented. That said, people who lube guns are the minority of gun owners. There's no one magic lube, very few are gun specific, as most are just standard industrial lubricants. A few drops here and there you can afford to use whatever fancy snake oil you want. I like slip2000 grease and EWL combo on my moving parts but as Pat Rogers well documented, even vagisil will do the job.

Hank6046
05-03-23, 13:43

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/lube-maker-sues-blogger-negative-post/

"The company has now filed a lawsuit against Vuurwapen proprietor Andrew Tuohy and Everett Baker, the chem major who did some of the analytical work. They’re pissed off that Tuohy said FireClean was really Crisco. For his part, Tuohy says he never claimed it was rebadged Crisco. There’s more claimed in the suit, but we’ll leave all that to vultures lawyers to sort out."

I believe that the Seal 1 people, also had a lawsuit against them for utilizing their names (after having left the company).

https://granitestateguns.wordpress.com/2016/02/16/froglube-and-seal-1/

docsherm
05-03-23, 14:00
Froglube is still around.

https://www.froglube.com/

I use it all of the time. I like the Minty smell. That is absolutely as much of a Ligit reason as some of the Stupid SH!T I have heard posted in the many lube threads.

I have never had any issues with it. I also do not "store" any of my weapons, they are used all the time. If it does gum up have him hit it with a blow dryer/ Heat Gun to heat up the action and it will release.

markm
05-03-23, 14:09
Froglube is more gimmick than gun oil.

Not out here in the desert. And I have nothing to gain one way or another. After 30 years on the AR, it works best for me. I just add a little every few weeks, and maybe clean the gun every few months.

There was one angry fukk here who really bitched about FL a lot.... although he'd admitted he never actually tried it. He was just aping what he'd read elsewhere. I heard it sucks in cold weather, but I don't give a shit about that... it might as well suck on the moon cuz I won't be using it there either.

I also do not "store" any of my weapons, they are used all the time.

I have some fudd family type old guns, but they're just lightly oiled at best.

Disciple
05-03-23, 14:13
I like the Minty smell.

I like the smell of G96. These things matter. lol

B Cart
05-03-23, 14:29
Another one that had a lot of online controversy was Fireclean, and that is my favorite hands down. I've used Slip2000 for many years, CLP, and many others, and for some reason i get the best results with Fireclean. Seems to slow carbon build up better on all my BCGs and things stay slick/smooth longer. But the internet threw a big fit about it "being just rebranded vegetable oil" or something like that, and most people quit using it. Whatever it is, it works damn good for me.

I guess the point is, find what works best for you, and don't put too much stock in internet comments.

markm
05-03-23, 14:31
I like the smell of G96. These things matter. lol

Is that the stuff BCM gear comes slathered in? I love that smell, and unfortunately... due to corunar virus, I can no longer enjoy that glorious smell.

georgeib
05-03-23, 14:52
FWIW, the issues with Froglube gumming up are pretty well documented. That said, FL works just fine if applied as directed, ie. a hot surface where it's allowed to season, and then be wiped off completely. There are plenty of other products out there that also work just fine and don't gum up, so there's that too.

Stickman
05-03-23, 15:07
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/lube-maker-sues-blogger-negative-post/

"The company has now filed a lawsuit against Vuurwapen proprietor Andrew Tuohy and Everett Baker, the chem major who did some of the analytical work. They’re pissed off that Tuohy said FireClean was really Crisco. For his part, Tuohy says he never claimed it was rebadged Crisco. There’s more claimed in the suit, but we’ll leave all that to vultures lawyers to sort out."

I believe that the Seal 1 people, also had a lawsuit against them for utilizing their names (after having left the company).

https://granitestateguns.wordpress.com/2016/02/16/froglube-and-seal-1/

I'm not seeing any lawsuits Frog Lube lost in those links, what am I missing?

markm
05-03-23, 15:09
FWIW, the issues with Froglube gumming up are pretty well documented. That said, FL works just fine if applied as directed, ie. a hot surface where it's allowed to season, and then be wiped off completely.

I literally don't do any of that. I just smear it on and in the carrier and bolt lugs and put the gun away. I think in the coldest part of the year HERE. It will get a little thick before the first few rounds, but not anywhere near the point of impacting function.

Wake27
05-03-23, 15:13
G96 smells great. Fireclean works best for me, but has been hard to find for years. Slip is my backup but does burn off quickly IME.

Hank6046
05-03-23, 15:20

That's what I found with a quick google, Vuurwapen Blog (Andrew Trouphy I believe) had a whole thing on the case, it was all over the internets in '16, at least when I was on Snipers Hide, TOS, Facebook and even here.

georgeib
05-03-23, 15:24
G96 smells great. Fireclean works best for me, but has been hard to find for years. Slip is my backup but does burn off quickly IME.

I've read a few people make comments about Slip being too thin, but I've only ever used the EWL 30, which is the exact viscosity I would want. I can imagine if it were thinner than the EWL 30 that it might want to run.

B Cart
05-03-23, 15:45
Fireclean works best for me, but has been hard to find for years. Slip is my backup but does burn off quickly IME.

That's my experience as well, the Slip2000 is good, it just seems to burn off quicker. It's my second choice, and I hope i never run out of Fireclean.

markm
05-03-23, 16:31
I think I have a blister pack of Fireclean somewhere. I never did try it, but it seems to have some fans.

RHINOWSO
05-03-23, 16:34
I also do not "store" any of my weapons, they are used all the time.

Lolz, you need more money for guns. :D

Humor aside, I don't have any in deep storage either. If they aren't used for awhile, they are cleaned and in a gun rug in a safe.

They all come out several times a year minimum, regardless.

ChrisM516
05-03-23, 16:35
I like the Minty smell.

I was pleasantly surprised by this.

RHINOWSO
05-03-23, 16:36
SLIPS heavier weight lube is better for BCGs. Then again, I was raised in the military and an AR bolt gets a little lube every time at the range. When unused, I haven't had an issue with it going anywhere but I'm not in the desert.

markm
05-03-23, 16:52
SLIPS heavier weight lube is better for BCGs.

Where are you all getting this "heavier" SLIP?? The shit I got is Rem Oil at best... clear any very thin/light.

georgeib
05-03-23, 17:10
Where are you all getting this "heavier" SLIP?? The shit I got is Rem Oil at best... clear any very thin/light.

https://www.amazon.com/Slip2000-EWL30-4oz/dp/B07WLS8F5Q

This is the heaviest of the 3 formulae, not including their grease. Works well, and stays where you want it for the most part.

RHINOWSO
05-03-23, 17:32

https://slip2000.com/products/ewl30

https://slip2000.com/cdn/shop/products/EWL30Family_700x.png?v=1630443715

RHINOWSO
05-03-23, 17:38
The regular SLIP2000 "Gun Lube" stuff is thinner, you are right. I use the regular EWL and the EWL 30WT, not the Gun Lube. I use the SLIP2000 EWL 30WT on ARs BCGs and Glocks for the most part, the regular EWL on other guns.

docsherm
05-03-23, 18:24
Lolz, you need more money for guns. :D

Humor aside, I don't have any in deep storage either. If they aren't used for awhile, they are cleaned and in a gun rug in a safe.

They all come out several times a year minimum, regardless.

I shoot mine ay least every other month. Just like working out..... Got to keep it up or you get soft.....

docsherm
05-03-23, 18:25

I actually use REM OIL on top of my Frog Lube. That system works great and I have never had it "gum" up.

HKGuns
05-03-23, 18:42
That's my experience as well, the Slip2000 is good, it just seems to burn off quicker. It's my second choice, and I hope i never run out of Fireclean.

I gots a couple LARGE bottles of Canola oil in my pantry if you run out.

Never tried FL but had heard it hardens over time.

I use G96 and FMO350AW oil and SFL-0 grease as appropriate. Just for lube, not for cleaning.

markm
05-03-23, 20:07
I actually use REM OIL on top of my Frog Lube. That system works great and I have never had it "gum" up.

I've been reluctant to mix anything with frog lube.

Here's the shit I've found to be about like using water:

https://i.imgur.com/OWyPWur.jpg

Disciple
05-03-23, 20:30
Is that the stuff BCM gear comes slathered in? I love that smell, and unfortunately... due to corunar virus, I can no longer enjoy that glorious smell.

I don't know. I have only bought a BCM stock and receiver extension, and I don't recall them being packed wet.

ZGXtreme
05-03-23, 20:52
I’ve used FL on my patrol rifle since it was released and have never encountered an issue. Being what it is, the rifle is obviously not stored and even in the car it’s heated especially during the spring and summer. Just use it on the bolt as instructed and it cycles like butter.

On the Glock, just normal oil they provide at the Training Center.

Send it...
05-03-23, 21:30
Been using Lucas gun oil for the last few years. Its good stuff.

BuzzinSATX
05-03-23, 21:45
Been using Lucas gun oil for the last few years. Its good stuff.

This is my favorite too. Been using for several years. Lucas extreme gun oil is sold at all our OReilly Auto Parts store locally and always available.

I also keep Ballistol on hand, both liquid and spray.

For grease, I use SuperLube or Hoppe Black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ndmiller
05-03-23, 21:48
Leave it in the sun and FL will reliquify and HK will be good to go.

I finally went back to some version of CLP as I was just trying to be lazy with FL and Fireclean which never worked out (cleaning=cleaning and still sucks). Now I just shoot firearms and clean while still warm when home and it's the easiest cleaning method of them all. For stored gun cleaning (from my lazy days), I leave them in the morning sun before I clean them.

Hank6046
05-04-23, 07:49

Hello Stick, I was wrong with the Vuurwapen Blog lawsuit, it was dismissed and not lost, I found this according to Mike at MAC from 2016.

"Military Arms Channel
July 30, 2016 ·
FIREClean brought a lawsuit against Andrew Tuohy of Vuurwapen Blog claiming he attempted to defame them by claiming FireClean was chemically the same as Crisco cooking oil. Tuohy made no such claims and used the best tools he had at his disposal to try and determine the chemical composition of the controversial lubricant. His findings lead others to make the claim it was repackaged Crisco as the Infrared Spectroscopy and NMR Spectroscopy suggested to the laymen that the chemical composition was very close to common vegetable oil, if not the same. A judge dismissed the case against Tuohy."

T2C
05-04-23, 08:59
I used Frog Lube on several handguns and a few rifles for several months when it was first released. Two high volume shooters, who are very close friends, used Frog Lube for one year. We no longer use the product.

I initiated two threads on M4C in which I documented weapon failures in great detail. Both threads were removed within a day of posting them, so I cannot provide a link. I gave away what Frog Lube I had in stock to members of M4C, so they could do their own testing and draw their own conclusions.

I don't know anyone locally who still uses Frog Lube and we have quite a few high volume shooters in our community.

Hush
05-04-23, 09:00
People get emotionally attached to "their" lube, and niche marked lubes seem to attract a lot of those followers.

T2C
05-04-23, 09:03
People get emotionally attached to "their" lube, and niche marked lubes seem to attract a lot of those followers.

When asked about my favorite lube, I respond "whatever works".

markm
05-04-23, 09:05
I don't know. I have only bought a BCM stock and receiver extension, and I don't recall them being packed wet.

You're missing out on the glorious experience of opening a new upper receiver group and getting the heavenly scent.

I’ve used FL on my patrol rifle since it was released and have never encountered an issue. Being what it is, the rifle is obviously not stored and even in the car it’s heated especially during the spring and summer. Just use it on the bolt as instructed and it cycles like butter.

On the Glock, just normal oil they provide at the Training Center.

That's my experience too. I wonder if there's different batches or something or just cooler climates. Both the paste and liquid have been great.

DoubleW
05-04-23, 09:23
It’s his own fault for succumbing to a gimmick. Motor oil or CLP are just fine and have been for decades. Why people obsess over the infinite minutia of lubricants, especially on weapons that are rarely or ever fired, is beyond me.

Inkslinger
05-04-23, 09:41
When asked about my favorite lube, I respond "whatever works".

Hell, I’ve pulled the dipstick out of my truck to lube guns if I’ve forgotten to bring any with me.

Bluto
05-04-23, 10:21
Had no idea frog lube was no longer cool. Now I know why I'm getting those stares at the range.

I've been using it both on stored and active use guns for years and have been happy with it. I'm not a high speed operator or anything and I make sure to heat up the surface first, but so far no gumming or anything.

I just pulled a rifle out of my safe that I haven't touched in at least 3 years and everything cycled just fine. If it matters, my guns are in south and central Florida and are stored in air conditioned environments.

markm
05-04-23, 10:38
Had no idea frog lube was no longer cool. Now I know why I'm getting those stares at the range.

I'm surprised no one confronted you. FL is like the corona virus... no biggie to most, but there's stories of it ruining peoples lives all over the internuts!!

Hush
05-04-23, 10:39
The fact that every fan of froglube is from Florida is definitely a clue [emoji1787]

498cm3
05-04-23, 11:10
I kind of recall Ballistol being a little "solidified" in a sidearm, stopped using after I noticed that property.

RUTGERS95
05-04-23, 11:15
these threads always make me laugh for two reasons; stupidity of over spending on snake oil and level of ignorance for basic care and maintenance of weapons.

it's simple, any standard oil (mobil 1 in our house) and apply a thin layer then store in a sock. I've weapons that have been stored for decades like this zero issue

think, keep it simple, don't make it complicated for the sake of spending and bam, all good

05-04-23, 11:16
I use the Lucas Extreme Duty Gun oil. It works well.

Disciple
05-04-23, 11:41
I initiated two threads on M4C in which I documented weapon failures in great detail. Both threads were removed within a day of posting them, so I cannot provide a link.

Disappointing.

markm
05-04-23, 14:23
it's simple, any standard oil (mobil 1 in our house) and apply a thin layer then store in a sock. I've weapons that have been stored for decades like this zero issue

I don't even go that far. Just put the gun away. The only time I had a storage issue was a ruger 10/22 in a soft shell zip up case. It held the moisture in and pitted the blued finish. In my area, as long as I don't leave it in a case, there's no need to do anything.

markm
05-04-23, 14:24
Disappointing.

I'd love to see it. M4 was much different back then, and now I'm sure nothing would be deleted.

Colt Carson
05-04-23, 16:23
I expect lubricant to possibly evaporate or thicken on a stored firearm over time, but I have no need for gun glue. I used the Slip2000 EWL until I found something that seemed to perform better. There’s nothing wrong with using motor oil on firearms, if you are low on cash.
I "store" some of my firearms, either because they are primarily sentimental possessions, or because I don’t sell guns. I couldn’t imagine shooting all my guns all the time. That would be a lot of gun cleaning.

markm
05-04-23, 16:32
That would be a lot of gun cleaning.

What is gun cleaning??? :sarcastic:

I clean an AR about one per year at most. I used to be appalled at the lack of gun cleaning when I first joined this site year back. Now I almost have to google the process to remember how.

Colt Carson
05-04-23, 17:15
What is gun cleaning??? :sarcastic:

I clean an AR about one per year at most. I used to be appalled at the lack of gun cleaning when I first joined this site year back. Now I almost have to google the process to remember how.
I mean… it’s not like I'm Pyle (Leonard) or anything. And I could quit anytime I want. Right?
https://youtu.be/LjXadFaSAJM

docsherm
05-04-23, 18:36
The fact that every fan of froglube is from Florida is definitely a clue [emoji1787]

Easy there killer...... are you trying to start a fight? No reason to be THAT insulting..... :jester:

kirkland
05-04-23, 21:15
Holy shit is it time for the yearly lube thread?!!

Still using the same bottle of Mobile 1 I've been using for years, still works great. :dance3:

Inkslinger
05-04-23, 21:39

Still using the same bottle of Mobile 1 I've been using for years, still works great. :dance3:

And can you believe it was started by MarkM!? His account must’ve been hacked.

ThirdWatcher
05-04-23, 22:23
Years ago I used Frog Lube on one of my 1911’s (NHC GRP) and it ultimately locked it up tight (and it was a lot less than a year). I cleaned it off and went back to oil.

RUTGERS95
05-04-23, 22:37
I expect lubricant to possibly evaporate or thicken on a stored firearm over time, but I have no need for gun glue. I used the Slip2000 EWL until I found something that seemed to perform better. There’s nothing wrong with using motor oil on firearms, if you are low on cash.
I "store" some of my firearms, either because they are primarily sentimental possessions, or because I don’t sell guns. I couldn’t imagine shooting all my guns all the time. That would be a lot of gun cleaning.

lol low on cash

I got news for you, that slip 2000 you 'go to' is functionally the same thing as mobil 1 with the only difference being the additives. they are both classified as level IV synthetics so the properties are almost identical. Don't even need to discuss the flashpoint, and pour points and the runnoff parameters. Differences would include things like you'll get additives that act as viscosity modifiers and carbon captures but it's laughable to use one over the other as 'go to' and citing the other is good if low on cash. I'd worry more about being low on brain cells given the approach you're taking

RUTGERS95
05-04-23, 22:40
I don't even go that far. Just put the gun away. The only time I had a storage issue was a ruger 10/22 in a soft shell zip up case. It held the moisture in and pitted the blued finish. In my area, as long as I don't leave it in a case, there's no need to do anything.

you are right given most homes are climate controlled. There really is no voodoo magic here and people obsess over the dumbest shit with virtually no idea what they are talking about.

I use the socks, by the way, only as protection from banging around in the safe when I'm digging through hahaha

Colt Carson
05-04-23, 23:10
lol low on cash

I got news for you, that slip 2000 you 'go to' is functionally the same thing as mobil 1 with the only difference being the additives. they are both classified as level IV synthetics so the properties are almost identical. Don't even need to discuss the flashpoint, and pour points and the runnoff parameters. Differences would include things like you'll get additives that act as viscosity modifiers and carbon captures but it's laughable to use one over the other as 'go to' and citing the other is good if low on cash. I'd worry more about being low on brain cells given the approach you're taking
If you had read my post correctly, you would have understood I went "away from" Slip2000. I worked in operations for decades at a refinery that made lube oils, among many other products… so spare me the few specs you know.

SteveL
05-04-23, 23:15
I've been using Lucas oil for about a year now and I haven't found it lacking yet.

Easy there killer...... are you trying to start a fight? No reason to be THAT insulting..... :jester:

Where about in the metroplex are you?

Baldness
05-05-23, 01:28
I have been using g96 bio clp for a couple years now. It works well for everything I do. No smell though. I used to use frog lube it didn’t lock my gun up but it turned brown and got gummy after about 6months of storage so I quit using it.

ST911
05-05-23, 06:25
I distinctly remember a lengthy and contentious thread on froglube that turned south, still looking for that, but it might be remembering it from a different site. I found several threads here that are 3-10 pages in length that are still visible, a couple are closed. I looked in the trash and didn't find any there.

RHINOWSO
05-05-23, 06:55

You used Mobile 1 on EVERYTHING, right? Makes your life so simple, lifehack101!

AndyLate
05-05-23, 07:30

Same.

Andy

AndyLate
05-05-23, 07:33

It's not great on salad or for frying.

Andy

T2C
05-05-23, 08:17

Andy

It's not? I'm not much of a cook, but this may explain the low turnout when I invite people over for dinner.

markm
05-05-23, 08:56
And can you believe it was started by MarkM!? His account must’ve been hacked.

I'm so desperate for actual GUN talk on this site, I'll settle for a lube war!

kirkland
05-05-23, 12:07

Truly a lifehack indeed. I tried slip 2000EWS once on a BCG a few years ago. It didn't stay around as long as the Mobil 1, didn't feel as slick either. The way I see it the inside of an engine is a much more demanding environment than the inner workings of a rifle bolt, so automotive oil is more than up to the task. It seems to keep it cleaner too, I'm no lube expert but I do know that automotive oil has detergents in it. It just works. The other product I like to use is seafoam deep creep in a spray can, it's good for cleaning and leaves behind a very thin film of lubricant/protectant. I like use the seafoam for the FCG, pins and other small moving parts, then dribble a little mobil one on the bolt and cam pin, rings, rails on the carrier and wear surface on the CH. Bonus that one bottle of auto oil is big enough to last forever when using it for gun lube.

kirkland
05-05-23, 12:09

Andy

Gotta be better than the gutter oil they use in China

05-05-23, 14:07
FWIW, the issues with Froglube gumming up are pretty well documented. That said, FL works just fine if applied as directed, ie. a hot surface where it's allowed to season, and then be wiped off completely. There are plenty of other products out there that also work just fine and don't gum up, so there's that too.

Lol.

If you wipe it off completely why put it on in the first place.

Nothing is soaking into the metal. Nothing.

05-05-23, 14:12
I've been reluctant to mix anything with frog lube.

Here's the shit I've found to be about like using water:

https://i.imgur.com/OWyPWur.jpg

That shit actually lubes about like water. I read a military test on EWL, synthetic engine oil, some CLPs. The latest-F CLP spec is better than all of em.

Whatever thickener the Slip EWL30 has separates and stays on and the oil runs off. It is absolute garbage. As is every other EWL product.

georgeib
05-05-23, 14:32
Lol.

If you wipe it off completely why put it on in the first place.

Nothing is soaking into the metal. Nothing.Not sure if your comment was directed at me specifically, or if you were addressing the general claim of people talking about oil soaking into metal. However, even though I have never used FL and am very happy with my own lube concoction, I do have a comment about what you're talking about. While lubricant doesn't "soak" into metal, it can form a semi solid coating on top of it, while clinging to the microscopic surface crevices.

The reason I used the word "season" in my post, in attempting to describe how FL is supposed to be used, is because my understanding is that is exactly how it functions. Similarly to how one would season a cast iron pan or grill. FL is supposed to season the surface with whatever particles solidify and cling to the metal, and then to have the liquid carrier wiped off. I would speculate that the reason people are having their firearms freeze up is because they are failing in this last step.

Like I said, I'm not a FL user and have never been. But FL's failures are in all likelihood due to a misunderstanding of how it is supposed to function. People who use it like a standard lube aren't using it as prescribed.

markm
05-05-23, 14:53
That shit actually lubes about like water. I read a military test on EWL, synthetic engine oil, some CLPs. The latest-F CLP spec is better than all of em.

Whatever thickener the Slip EWL30 has separates and stays on and the oil runs off. It is absolute garbage. As is every other EWL product.

Agreed. I remember buying their carbon cutter or whatever that shit was called. I soaked an AR bolt in it, and literally not one molecule of carbon came off. The product could have been put back into the bottle and sold as new. Their products are shit.

The reason I used the word "season" in my post, in attempting to describe how FL is supposed to be used,

I believe that's either how it was marketed to be used, or the gun community posted that on the forums back when it was new. Either way, I've had better luck just soaking the BCG in the front areas and letting the stuff lubricate.

georgeib
05-05-23, 15:04
Agreed. I remember buying their carbon cutter or whatever that shit was called. I soaked an AR bolt in it, and literally not one molecule of carbon came off. The product could have been put back into the bottle and sold as new. Their products are shit.

I believe that's either how it was marketed to be used, or the gun community posted that on the forums back when it was new. Either way, I've had better luck just soaking the BCG in the front areas and letting the stuff lubricate.Can't argue with success.

markm
05-05-23, 16:36
Can't argue with success.

I just can't reconcile how good it works for us with the problems people report.

georgeib
05-05-23, 17:33
I just can't reconcile how good it works for us with the problems people report.Yeah, I hear you. Might be a combination of ambient temperature and/or frequency of use/reapplication. At least, that's what I'm guessing.

T2C
05-05-23, 17:58
If I were to place a firearm in long term storage, I would not use any kind of grease or paste lubricant without expecting the need for a thorough detailed cleaning before use.

05-05-23, 18:10
Yeah, I hear you. Might be a combination of ambient temperature and/or frequency of use/reapplication. At least, that's what I'm guessing.

Could be humidity too.

I’m in the coastal bend of Texas and witnessed firsthand a pretty good number of guns glued together with Froglube. I’ve been hating on that stuff for at least a decade.

georgeib
05-05-23, 18:35
Could be humidity too.

I’m in the coastal bend of Texas and witnessed firsthand a pretty good number of guns glued together with Froglube. I’ve been hating on that stuff for at least a decade.True. I know that some lubes are actually hygroscopic. Would make for a fairly simple experiment if someone cared enough to perform it. Maybe a drop of water stirred into a few drops of FL and give it a day or two to see if it gums up.

jsbhike
05-05-23, 18:41
I kind of recall Ballistol being a little "solidified" in a sidearm, stopped using after I noticed that property.

It will gel after being stored for awhile as a thin film, but quickly go back to liquid after the parts start moving. Really not a bad thing.

They have some hyperbole in their advertising, but so far every claim they make related to how I have used it(modern firearms, Pyrodex muzzle loading, knives, leather, and around the house) seems to be accurate.

markm
05-05-23, 19:07
Could be humidity too.

Perhaps longer stretches of humidity. I know I had two ARs soaking wet in the rain last year, and there were no lube issues.

Slater
05-06-23, 10:27
This product claims to be "particularly effective for use in protecting all metals in salt water coastal areas." Never knew anybody that used it, though.

https://boeshield.com/why-boeshield-2/

mark5pt56
05-07-23, 06:16
This product claims to be "particularly effective for use in protecting all metals in salt water coastal areas." Never knew anybody that used it, though.

Popular with the bicyclist around here(coastal SW Florida) I use it on metal magazines, no issues. Lucas is my go to.

Markm-come Monday-hit the PO and send me your man card.

markm
05-08-23, 09:10
Dupe due to shitty website.

markm
05-08-23, 09:10
Markm-come Monday-hit the PO and send me your man card.

I hate waiting in line at the PO. Not sure if the customers or the counter employees are more retarded.

greybuff
05-08-23, 19:09
I use Mobil 1 with some MOS mixed in and on sliding parts I use Finish line with teflon grease. Carbon comes off very easy and mostly just wipe off the other parts and relube. MOS is supposed to be one of the slickest lubricans and fills in thepore in the metal.
I use the same oil combo in my vehicle here in !!% degree AZ in the summer.......

AKDoug
05-08-23, 20:10
Both FrogLube and Fireclean will glue your shit shut if left long enough. A warm up with a hair dryer is a decent way to get them rolling again. I have a couple AR's the kids built when they were still home that dang near had to be mortared to get them open. No way am I cleaning guns that are just stored, I have a hard enough time cleaning the ones that I actually shoot.

At one time I used both because I was actually worried about using a cleaner lube that I didn't have to breath. After realizing that sucking down copious quantities of gun powder smoke, lead, and copper, I had a reality check that the least thing I needed to worry about was gun lube.

Our company has a fleet of heavy equipment, trucks and cars. We use up 50 gallons of oil a month. Due to different engines using different oils we usually use gallon or 5 quart jugs. I drain the remnants of this new oil left in the bottle into a single jug. We use that oil to lube chain binders, hinges, and anything else that needs to operate smoothly; including guns.

motor51
05-08-23, 20:11
We used froglube at my dept(700 or so officers) and it was not a great experience. We are now back to militec-1. On another note, I somehow mixed 2 different lubes, guess I applied one and later on put a different brand on when it looked dry. The end result was a completely stuck trigger and corroded Glock parts. I had to completely replace everything but the barrel, slide and frame. It even melted a little of the switches on my light. It was super sticky but there had been nothing spilled and the batteries were fine. Never seen anything like it.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230509/c182bbf690e72cf9f2e3084c0a815d61.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230509/e8db1c72fb1429e31e12fdaaaa9cc309.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230509/d3ea4486d8658a46ce8e3a4d0e84f80e.jpg

AKDoug
05-08-23, 20:13
I hate waiting in line at the PO. Not sure if the customers or the counter employees are more retarded.

Amen.. my post office will send a slip to my rural mailbox saying I have a misaddressed piece of mail at the post office to pick up. This is a weekly occurrence despite me telling them that if they knew my box number to send the slip to, why not just send the misaddressed piece of mail. WTF over? I love driving 30 miles for incompetence.

markm
05-08-23, 21:46
I love driving 30 miles for incompetence.

I can't imagine waking up every day and being a complete piece of shit employee. Just does not compute. I remember the little PO across town by my old job would have a line 12 people deep and the shitbags would be like... time for my break. Then the other shitbag would let the idiot customer spend 5 minutes picking out which stamps they liked.

05-09-23, 07:58

That stuff is spraying on airplanes. It works. I use LPS-3 because It’s cheaper and I think it’s better. I wouldn’t lube a gun with it though.

1986s4
05-09-23, 08:12
I used to use FL exclusively for all my guns but after some use I experienced the gumming problem. This caused me to seek other non-toxic lubes. However, it does work well for as a rust preventative. So what I have left I use on the surface of my firearms. It does stick well to phosphated surfaces. I now use Geissele oil and thin grease.

I won't be buying any more after my supply of FL runs out.

T2C
05-09-23, 08:48
A close friend of mine is frugal. Let's face it, he's a cheap skate. He used Mobil 1 full synthetic oil on weapons that were stored for several years in his moldy basement.

Two of the weapons were fired recently. They were removed from storage, loaded, then fired without any cleaning or additional lube. He checked all the weapons that were in storage and none of them had rust on them.

IMHO, oil is good lube for long term storage. Grease or paste can be used for long term storage if you plan on cleaning before use.

markm
05-09-23, 09:14
IMHO, oil is good lube for long term storage. Grease or paste can be used for long term storage if you plan on cleaning before use.

I agree. Good old oil or CLP is solid.

Uncas47
05-09-23, 09:31
The only guns I have stored are some vintage revolvers and lever guns. I've whittled down my ARs to the few that get handled and shot. Those always have enough oil and dirt on board to be ready for any immediate use. If I'm at the range they get CLPd heavily, they are dirty wet girls.

1986s4
05-09-23, 11:42
A close friend of mine is frugal. Let's face it, he's a cheap skate. He used Mobil 1 full synthetic oil on weapons that were stored for several years in his moldy basement.

Two of the weapons were fired recently. They were removed from storage, loaded, then fired without any cleaning or additional lube. He checked all the weapons that were in storage and none of them had rust on them.

This reminds me of a Larry Vickers video where he dunks a DD AR15 in a tub of Mobil 1 then removes it quickly and shoots it. No malfunctions.

markm
05-09-23, 11:43
This reminds me of a Larry Vickers video where he dunks a DD AR15 in a tub of Mobil 1 then removes it quickly and shoots it. No malfunctions.

Yuck. Vickers is a goofball.

GTF425
05-09-23, 11:47
Yuck. Vickers is a goofball.

To be fair, the video was made to address the fallacy that overlubrication will cause a weapon to malfunction, not necessarily that coating a rifle in oil is a good practice.

I heard the overlubrication myth a lot in the Army. As most everyone here knows, it's not true.

Slater
05-09-23, 13:07
I don't think that the original Cosmoline is made any more (although there are substitutes), but that used to be great for long-term storage.

markm
05-09-23, 14:25
To be fair, the video was made to address the fallacy that overlubrication will cause a weapon to malfunction, not necessarily that coating a rifle in oil is a good practice.

I heard the overlubrication myth a lot in the Army. As most everyone here knows, it's not true.

Perhaps, but I've seen enough Vickers videos to form my opinion.

RobertTheTexan
05-09-23, 17:08
I tried FL and found it got gummy and that was that. It was many moons ago so I don't recall if I was shooting in the hotter than 10 hells Texas summer or shooting in freezing/sleeting weather. It could have been a totally normal day, but regardless it got gummy on me and from there it went somewhere. I found the white plastic can years later and opened it. Still more than 3/4 full, but it looked weird and was looking more like a science experiment than gun lube. These days I use everything from Rem Oil, because it works, Umbrella Corp lube, which is pretty dang good, and I got this one lube from Kyle Lamb at Viking Tactics and if I had to ever say a lube was "the best stuff I ever used", it would be that lube. I've buy it when I run out. I *THINK* it's Rand CLP and it is not cheap, but it is good. I have noticed that my BCG did clean up easier than when using other oils. I actually tested that on purpose after a 1,000+ round day, but that was just to see if it made a difference because I rarely clean my guns. I just put more Rand CLP on them and run 'em dirty. (That almost sounds like an infomercial) "Tired of cleaning your AR's? Well clean them no more!! Introducing Rand CLP! You'll never have to clean your AR again!! Call within the next 30 minutes and get a free Ronco Slice n' Dice, call within the next 5 minutes and get 2!

I do know of a certain individual on this forum who does know his stuff, and he swore by FL, but I think he mostly liked it because it smelled so good. I may have spent more time smelling it than I did using it.

05-09-23, 22:07
I don't think that the original Cosmoline is made any more (although there are substitutes), but that used to be great for long-term storage.

CRC SP400 is pretty close to cosmoline

Hush
05-09-23, 22:30
I tried FL and found it got gummy and that was that. It was many moons ago so I don't recall if I was shooting in the hotter than 10 hells Texas summer or shooting in freezing/sleeting weather. It could have been a totally normal day, but regardless it got gummy on me and from there it went somewhere. I found the white plastic can years later and opened it. Still more than 3/4 full, but it looked weird and was looking more like a science experiment than gun lube. These days I use everything from Rem Oil, because it works, Umbrella Corp lube, which is pretty dang good, and I got this one lube from Kyle Lamb at Viking Tactics and if I had to ever say a lube was "the best stuff I ever used", it would be that lube. I've buy it when I run out. I *THINK* it's Rand CLP and it is not cheap, but it is good. I have noticed that my BCG did clean up easier than when using other oils. I actually tested that on purpose after a 1,000+ round day, but that was just to see if it made a difference because I rarely clean my guns. I just put more Rand CLP on them and run 'em dirty. (That almost sounds like an infomercial) "Tired of cleaning your AR's? Well clean them no more!! Introducing Rand CLP! You'll never have to clean your AR again!! Call within the next 30 minutes and get a free Ronco Slice n' Dice, call within the next 5 minutes and get 2!

I do know of a certain individual on this forum who does know his stuff, and he swore by FL, but I think he mostly liked it because it smelled so good. I may have spent more time smelling it than I did using it. God damn it you literally stole every word out of my head better than I ever could have said it. Hell I like you, you can come to my house and **** my sister. And Kyle Lamb personally handed me a sample size bottle of rand clp once, it's still sitting on my bench untouched but I fondled it the other day and thought about his beard.

T2C
05-09-23, 22:46

On more than one occasion, I've seen an armorer pour motor oil out of a quart bottle onto a hot M-16 bolt carrier after the weapon malfunctioned. In each case the weapon ran flawlessly after being drowned in lubricant. The only downside was that a few FNG's had to clean oil off of their shooting glasses.

Hush
05-09-23, 23:05
Can we put this to rest already, as much as I'd live to relive 2010 the prices on gas station signs keep snapping me out of my fantasy Yes oil is good. Lubrication is good. Most lubrications will work at least some times. Frog lube is food slicer lubricant repurposed as gun lubricant, sometimes it glues up and you have to hit it with the hair dryer, but apparently it works pretty well for people who live in Florida. We get it, everybody has their own favorite lube. If we had a job that would require shooting people with our rifles for a living, we would put whatever they give us on it and it would work. But we're just a bunch of nerds on the internet, so whatever our backyard or highly parametered chronographic shooting discerns we can argue about.

markm
05-09-23, 23:19
The only downside was that a few FNG's had to clean oil off of their shooting glasses.

That sucks with water or lube. Just annoying.

Can we put this to rest already

NO!

Disciple
05-10-23, 00:07
I got this one lube from Kyle Lamb at Viking Tactics and if I had to ever say a lube was "the best stuff I ever used", it would be that lube. I've buy it when I run out. I *THINK* it's Rand CLP and it is not cheap, but it is good.

That one is not on the approved products list (https://qpldocs.dla.mil/search/print_govt_mfg.aspx?govt=34474185). I wonder why.

Colt Carson
05-10-23, 00:28
I’ve never used Frog Lube, and never will. I did think it was interesting in this test though that Ballistol provided slightly better lubrication than Slip2000 EWL. Ballistol wasn’t great at preventing corrosion though.
https://youtu.be/fibRewlndLg

1986s4
05-10-23, 07:09

That was the intent of the video. Of course dunking one's rifle in a tub of oil is a little overkill but it proved his point.

1986s4
05-10-23, 07:12
I’ve never used Frog Lube, and never will. I did think it was interesting in this test though that Ballistol provided slightly better lubrication than Slip2000 EWL. Ballistol wasn’t great at preventing corrosion though.

I've been using Ballistol as a non-toxic cleaner and as a small parts/tight places lube. My wife is very sensitive to smells, especially toxic smells, so if we have a squeaky hinge or something in the house I use the Ballistol or sometimes the FL.

Uncas47
05-10-23, 09:50
In the past I've used Ballistol on carbon steel knife blades after sharpening and putting away but ended up with freckling sometimes. I like that it's non toxic, but Super Lube oil works better for me. All my sears and discos and hammer faces get a little Super Lube grease, it's also dielectric so it's great on aluminum light threads and o rings.

Caduceus
05-11-23, 06:37
I'm shocked Frog Lube is still around after all the lawsuits they lost, they famously had failures in winter weather and changed their terms on how to apply which may or may not help, but from what I have been told by a lot of people is stay away from the "Bio" based lubes.

not even winter weather. I had an LMT gum up in the 40s.

Made me swear off FL, and LMT (though I came back after a decade)

markm
05-11-23, 09:23
not even winter weather. I had an LMT gum up in the 40s.

Made me swear off FL, and LMT (though I came back after a decade)

Bolt stuck in battery? Had it sat for a while?

BuzzinSATX
05-11-23, 15:29

Good video. I also like this one:

https://youtu.be/rcS-_64qPBc

It’s old but it’s good. Particularly like the discussion about Brownells storage oil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caduceus
05-12-23, 14:59
Bolt stuck in battery? Had it sat for a while?
If i recall (probably 8-10 years ago), sluggish cycling. Failure to strip rounds off magazine, I think.
No, hadn't been sitting long. Got a free trial tube at a gun show, went out and tried it. Probably was on less than 2 weeks, since I had a lot of free time at that point.

I never bought FL, just used the samples a few times. Tried on my Sig p229 as well, briefly.

Uncas47
05-12-23, 15:21
WTF happened to my post?
Edit: it was a good one too.

markm
05-12-23, 15:31
If i recall (probably 8-10 years ago), sluggish cycling. Failure to strip rounds off magazine, I think.
No, hadn't been sitting long. Got a free trial tube at a gun show, went out and tried it. Probably was on less than 2 weeks, since I had a lot of free time at that point.

That blows my mind. I mean the total opposite of the experience I've had with it. And, yeah! If I had that happen, I'd be annoyed as hell.

Pappabear
05-12-23, 16:13
I was amazed that I coated my MWS guns w/FL and would shoot them extensively and suppressed. The BCG would feel like it had major goop on it but would still cycle and shoot well. Cleaning them was a major bitch but I never had malfunctions. I have been playing with Lucas lately but never had any function related issues with F.L.

PB

Uncas47
05-12-23, 16:21
If FL didn't work for Mark, he would shit can it in a new york minute. THAT was my original post. I love him anyway (no homo)!

That goes for PB too!

markm
05-12-23, 16:43
Yeah... Those LMT MWS 308 BCGs would stick shut, and there was usually a toxic medley of 12 types of powder fired suppressed in them. Not sure if that was an FL issue or just complete filth.

Colt Carson
05-12-23, 17:56
I would use motor oil on my guns before I used something called "Frog Lube"

1986s4
05-15-23, 10:14
The testing I read some years ago showed that FL was very slippery and very good at corrosion resistance. As such I use what I have left as an anti-rust coat here in tropical FL. Seems to work well and it does soak into phosphated finishes.
As a lube it gummed up my well broken in Colt .38 super, super pasty when mixed with the usual soot from shooting. I do stay with non-toxic lubes.

1986s4
05-15-23, 10:14
The testing I read some years ago showed that FL was very slippery and very good at corrosion resistance. As such I use what I have left as an anti-rust coat here in tropical FL. Seems to work well and it does soak into phosphated finishes.
As a lube it gummed up my well broken in Colt .38 super, super pasty when mixed with the usual soot from shooting. I do stay with non-toxic lubes.

MistWolf
05-15-23, 11:28
I've had firearms seize up tight when Froglube mixed with residue from .22 LR ammo and the preservative Colt uses when shipping new firearms. In fact, the wife's P22 locked up so hard I thought something broke. It locked up a 1911 I'd had for decades and thought I had cleaned it of all Colt preservative.

I don't use Froglube on my firearms anymore, but it does make a good lube when drilling metal.

1986s4
05-15-23, 12:17
I've had firearms seize up tight when Froglube mixed with residue from .22 LR ammo and the preservative Colt uses when shipping new firearms. In fact, the wife's P22 locked up so hard I thought something broke. It locked up a 1911 I'd had for decades and thought I had cleaned it of all Colt preservative.

I don't use Froglube on my firearms anymore, but it does make a good lube when drilling metal.

OK, something to remember. I've used it for sharpening knives and preservation. Any outdoor knife that maybe used for cutting food gets sharpened with a non-toxic lube.

RobertTheTexan
05-17-23, 21:26
God damn it you literally stole every word out of my head better than I ever could have said it. Hell I like you, you can come to my house and **** my sister. And Kyle Lamb personally handed me a sample size bottle of rand clp once, it's still sitting on my bench untouched but I fondled it the other day and thought about his beard.

As long as your sister has the same potty mouth as you, I think we’ll hit it off jus’ fine. I got a few of Kyle’s beard hairs that got caught in a in Magpul stock I got for free and I’ll bring those as payment. And maybe even a few goats.