PDA

View Full Version : I asked Bard about crime and firearm ownership…

JediGuy
05-12-23, 20:15
And here’s what it came up with.

Sure, here are some statistics that show how property crime and assault increases when firearm ownership is restricted:
A 2016 study by the National Bureau of Economic Research found that states with stricter gun control laws have higher rates of property crime. The study found that a 10% increase in the number of gun control laws is associated with a 1.4% increase in the property crime rate.
A 2017 study by the Journal of Criminology and Public Policy found that states with stricter gun control laws have higher rates of assault. The study found that a 10% increase in the number of gun control laws is associated with a 1.2% increase in the assault rate.
A 2018 study by the Journal of the American Medical Association found that states with stricter gun control laws have higher rates of homicide. The study found that a 10% increase in the number of gun control laws is associated with a 1.3% increase in the homicide rate.
It is important to note that these are just a few studies, and there is more research that needs to be done on this topic. However, the evidence suggests that firearm ownership restrictions may actually increase crime rates. This is because criminals are less likely to target homes and businesses that they know are armed. Additionally, when law-abiding citizens are disarmed, they are more vulnerable to crime.
It is also important to note that these statistics do not take into account the fact that many crimes are unreported. This means that the true rates of crime may be even higher than what is reported.
Overall, the evidence suggests that firearm ownership restrictions may actually increase crime rates. This is a complex issue, and there is more research that needs to be done. However, it is important to consider all of the evidence before making a decision about whether or not to support firearm ownership restrictions.

hotbiggun42
05-13-23, 20:39
And 100% of school shooting happen in gun free zones.

AKDoug
05-14-23, 02:48
And 100% of school shooting happen in gun free zones.

Actually no, while schools are soft targets, you can get permission to carry firearms on school property in many states, including mine. In fact it was reported that there were staff allowed to carry at the school the Nashville shooting occurred at.

georgeib
05-14-23, 06:43
Actually no, while schools are soft targets, you can get permission to carry firearms on school property in many states, including mine. In fact it was reported that there were staff allowed to carry at the school the Nashville shooting occurred at.I suppose it could be argued that few, if any, "gun free zones" are truly gun free. A courthouse is a gun free zone, and yet marshals, sheriff's deputies, judges and DAs are allowed to carry. Same goes with schools, other government buildings, or even private businesses so designated, etc. I don't think that takes away from them being considered gun free zones, no?

jsbhike
05-14-23, 07:14
Actually no, while schools are soft targets, you can get permission to carry firearms on school property in many states, including mine. In fact it was reported that there were staff allowed to carry at the school the Nashville shooting occurred at.

It is likely 100% of public schools where shootings have occurred have been unarmed. It is theoretically legally possible in some places, but unlikely. Best I can recall KY requires a school board vote on allowing a person to be armed on school property so that isn't going to happen on any kind of useful scale. Here is the head honcho of the school system in a very rural county getting nailed.

https://www.wbir.com/article/news/local/security-camera-video-mccreary-county-schools-superintendent-with-gun/51-c9e77777-6011-42ad-9d0e-561511819e46

While TN law does not legally prohibit firearms at private schools like Covenant, I haven't seen anything about the school's rules. Best I can recall the comment "There's a staff member or two who would be packing" came from a phone call while the shooting was happening. That may be the case, but it seems unlikely Audrey's anti 2A mom would have signed her up at a school that would operate counter to her feelings on that, although that could be the reason Audrey wasn't there very long.