PDA

View Full Version : magnifier or scope

yfzjim
12-29-08, 20:59
I currently have a LMT 16" carbine. I am running a comp ml3 (2 moa dot) on larue QD. I am mostly shooting holes in paper. Should I get the 3x magnifier on larue pivot mount or go ahead ang go for a 3x9x40 variable optic on larue QD mount. I guess what I am asking is if I want to shoot at paper targets at 200 yds will one be more accurate than the other.
Thanks

citizensoldier16
12-30-08, 01:36
If all you are shooting is paper, then I would go with a scope. It'll give you the finer adjustment that is required for true zeroing, plus, the clarity will be better on a tackdriver. Downside to the magnifier is that it magnifies the dot as well; depending on what MOA your dot is, you may not be able to get a good zero at 200m with repeatable accuracy.

If you ever plan to use the rifle for HD, SD or a go-to gun, get the magnifier.

yfzjim
12-30-08, 21:33
any other opinions?

RojasTKD
01-03-09, 16:05
Only you can decide what's best for you and what you use it for. Personally I went with a Red dot (EOTech) and a magnifier. I felt It gave me the most flexibility.

OneKYards
01-05-09, 00:22
I have the EoTech 552 and 3x FTS magnifier, which works great within 150m. As Citizen Soldier states, magnifying the 1MOA Dot or a 2MOA Dot changes things a quite a bit at distance.

I have switched out the optics on my Lewis Machine & Tool MRP Rifle to a Nightforce 2.5-10 x 24 with a Doctor mounted on the GG&G B-Comp platform. Night and day, close and up to 600m, this combo is a winner. Downside...Cost.