PDA

View Full Version : Saw the new Clint Eastwood movie: Gran Torino

maximus83
12-29-08, 22:13
They're playing preview versions at a couple of locations in Puget Sound.

Don't want to give any details away, but I'd definitely give the movie a thumbs up. This is really not just the stereotypical "shootout with idiot gangsters" type of movie that the trailers might lead you to expect. To be sure, there are a couple of scenes that involve the use of Walter Kowalski's (Eastwood) Korean War weapons--a Garand and a 1911--and a few confrontations with the gangsters. But it's really a much more thoughtful movie, with some really powerful messages about responsibility, self-respect, hard work, sacrifice, the ability of true friendship to break down racial barriers, and yes, even the value of self-defense. Top it all off with a scene that strongly symbolizes the sacrificial death of Christ, at the climax scene of the movie. In spite of all those messages though, it's also one of the funniest Clint Eastwood movies I've seen, and is TOTALLY, 100%, NON-politically correct. I would guess a few of the Hollywood types will be complaining about that aspect of it, you'll see what I mean.

g5m
12-29-08, 22:18
Thanks. Looking forward to seeing it.

The Archangel
12-29-08, 22:19
I wouldn't expect any less from a Clint Eastwood movie. Looking forward to seeing it when it opens up for us little people. :o

white spaniard
12-29-08, 22:21
Thanks. Looking forward to seeing it.

+1 thought it was going to be released on Christmas but in select cities San Antonio wasn't on the list though.

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-29-08, 22:23
Great flick. Very enjoyable. People who are super sensitive might not like it because there is a lot of racist language. Tough it out because the pay-off is worth it. I was talking to an African-American friend at work and she wasn't able to get through it. Her husband kept watching and gave it a big thumbs up.

Mark71
12-30-08, 00:00
It was definitely one of the better movies of 2008. Clint Eastwood was excellent in this movie.

1SFG
12-30-08, 00:52
Good flick and agree with the earlier poster who pointed out that the movie is hilarious. Good to see Clint giving people "the look" once again. Heard some rumint that this might be his last film in front of the camera. Hope that's not the case. Incidentally, anyone interested in learning more about the Hmong should try and locate a copy of the book "The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down." Really gives you some insight into the culture, while also discussion briefly the relationship between the Hmong people and the US.

Iraqgunz
12-30-08, 00:52
Hopefully in a week or so I can get a good hajji copy. Well make that 2 weeks.

sjc3081
12-30-08, 06:46
I though is was a good movie. But the Hollywood emasculation really did shine through. I can't be more specific without ruining the movie.

Icedaddy56
01-03-09, 22:16
Already downloaded the movie on www.graboid.com. It is a subscription service. Free 10M meg 30 tryout, then $4.99 a month. Has almost everything new. Have to watch the video quality thing. Anything less than 1500 mgb not the best picture. The movie was great. Eastwood deserves the best actor award for the film.

Gutshot John
06-11-09, 17:14
Just saw it on PPV, holy cow was that a great movie...a bit anticlimactic but deliberately so.

Vintage Eastwood.

1SFG
06-11-09, 17:16
He definitely got robbed at the Oscars.

NCPatrolAR
06-11-09, 17:32
great movie and a welcome change from the usual Hollywood crap that comes out

BushmasterFanBoy
06-11-09, 17:55
Great flick. Very enjoyable. People who are super sensitive might not like it because there is a lot of racist language. Tough it out because the pay-off is worth it. I was talking to an African-American friend at work and she wasn't able to get through it. Her husband kept watching and gave it a big thumbs up.

As a member of the "post racial" generation:rolleyes: raised on sensitivity, I have to say that I got the opposite impression of it. It seemed to me like some of the tidbits about the Hmong from the girl were going to be quickly followed by "The more you know...". The Eastwood bits were classic, and reminds me a lot of the way some of the older folks around here view race. It's fair game for jest, but not to use as a measuring stick of individual judgment.

Other than some of the token "racial bonding" scenes, I thought the movie was great. I think all of us know some old-school guys who stick to their GI 1911's and M1 rifles, and that wouldn't think twice about using it go get some punks off their lawn. :D

Irish
06-11-09, 18:01
Great movie! :cool:

Kimbo
06-11-09, 22:00
I like how the trailer makes the film look totally different. The film itself is great except when Clint is singing at the end haha. "We use to stack zipperheads like you 5 feet tall use em like sandbags."

beaker1013
06-12-09, 00:16
My wife and I just got done watching it and we both thought it was great! This is a must see!

Semper Fi,
Dave

chadbag
06-12-09, 01:29
DVD and Blu-Ray are at Wal-Mart and Costco and probably lots of other places

MachinegunT
06-12-09, 04:47
Good flick for sure! :)

cqbdriver
06-12-09, 05:14
I like how the trailer makes the film look totally different.
+1

It wasn't what I was expecting, but loved it because of that.

I loved the barber shop scene where they showed the boy how men talk.

Mr.Goodtimes
06-12-09, 09:53
i thought it was great till the end, it took me a week to get over why it had to end that way. twas defenately not eastwoods standard ending.

DrMark
06-12-09, 10:00
Watched it last night.

Good movie.

Gingerkid
06-14-09, 08:30
I'm one of those late to the game as well, just came out on PPV. I laughed out loud throughout the movie and there were certainly some strong underlying themes. Big time thumbs up from me.

The OP summed it up well.

Saginaw79
06-14-09, 10:08
I knew what was going to happen at the end, but it wasnt what or how i expected.

It was a very good movie!

Gutshot John
06-14-09, 13:02
I thought it was a ballsier ending.

Hope over despair.

06-14-09, 13:17
My mother saw it when it came and and told me it would win an Oscar. I hadn't seen it, but told her no way. Clint doesn't fit the liberal Hollywood mindset. Of course, he didn't win and he should have. Saw it last night. Great movie. Wife cried at the end. Hell, I almost teared up. This movie represented values that are, unfortunately, not common anymore. Will be telling friends to watch.

Sam
06-14-09, 21:35
Rented and watched it this afternoon. Excellent movie from Clint.

mmike87
06-15-09, 07:18
i thought it was great till the end, it took me a week to get over why it had to end that way. twas defenately not eastwoods standard ending.

I was surpised by the ending, but quickly came to see that it really made complete sense gieven Eastwood's character in the movie.

I really got a kick out of the back-and-forths between the teenage girl next door, Sue and Walt. He met his match with her!

larry0071
06-15-09, 07:32
I was expecting the big build up... the twister at the end really got me. I saw his call to his boy, the custom fitted clothes, the dog.... he was fixing to do something real big. He did, but it was not what I thought.

Overall, very good movie. And yea, he met his match with that little girl next door.... see took his crap and threw it right back at him.... "Booga-Booga!"

HAMMERDROP
06-15-09, 21:29
Reminded me of my Dad, cantankerous grumpy hated anything or anybody that did not have 'Made in USA' printed on it but he had a heart of gold.
I sure do miss him.
He was gone before cable TV became available but he used to sit in the kitchen with only the TV on and watch WWII docs on PBS and grumble about that
'Paper hanging son of a bitch and he would have killed him if could have got his hands around his throat' with his teeth out while eating milk and crackers.
I'll admit Clint reminded me of him so much in that movie I cried a while after it was over. Almost wish I hadn't watched it.
My Dad passed 6-17-82, 2 days before my 24th birthday... I haven't missed him so much since that day. He wouldn't want me to miss him. He thought crying was for sissy's and it has bottled up inside since.
Was rather strange last time I saw him he was going into the horsepistol that day to have an anuerism removed the next day it was a Sunday morning. He just got home from playing 18 holes of golf (which he walked) and that Tuesday
6-17-82 I was at home and nearly pissed my pants I thought to myself he died... He insisted I not visit him only my Mom and since I figured he'd out live us all I'd see him when he got home because he'd call and want me to cut the grass so he could yell at me while I mowed it cause he was tuff to please. And it was almost to the minute 8:18 pm I had that feeling... I called the hospital and all they would tell me was I needed to come there he died at 8:11pm.
But that Sunday the last time I saw him alive I gave him a big hug and kiss and told him I loved him which were my final words to him I remember him saying something about getting a haircut that I looked like my sister.
I feel blessed to have had it end that way.
Life never sucks so much as when its over.

Michael

Outrider
06-15-09, 22:32
My mother saw it when it came and and told me it would win an Oscar. I hadn't seen it, but told her no way. Clint doesn't fit the liberal Hollywood mindset. Of course, he didn't win and he should have.

The Oscars are the industry's chance to award itself. Expect it to be less than ideal. How many times have you seen someone be a sentimental favorite and win for lesser work due to being overlooked at an earlier time?

Clint Eastwood has won 4 Oscars (2 for Best Director and 2 for Best Picture). I don't think his politics have anything to do with the snub. On the other hand, he could be a victim of the movie industry's politics where studios push one film over another or professional jealousy that inspires people to not support a deserving movie. -The man had two great movies in one year. No award show can undo that.

I recently rented Gran Torino and it was a good character driven story. The humor in it is excellent and natural to the characters. I think the reason why the movie works as well as it does is because of Clint's other roles. We're used to a certain pattern and the twist at the end plays on that familiarity. I had figured out where it had to go but it was good that there was no cheesy, phony, everything is fine ending.

Thomas M-4
06-15-09, 22:44
I watched it last night and I was not disappointed very good movie something that I have come to expect from Eastwood.I liked the ending and was expecting something of that nature to happen. It reminded me of my childhood seeing alot of the great generation and how a lot of that generation did call it just the way that they saw it. So sad for me to see that generation pass:(

riddlin
06-16-09, 01:38
The whole movie is for shadowed in the horoscope he read on his birthday.

ST911
06-16-09, 17:05
Fitted for a funeral suit, gave away the dog, called his son... The ending was obvious.

I like the imagery at the end of him laying on the ground with his arms outstretched. A quasi-crucifixion, and a gift of life for others.

Good movie.

Interesting that the DVD includes no deleted scenes, though. I'd think that there were some.

Saginaw79
06-16-09, 19:03
Fitted for a funeral suit, gave away the dog, called his son... The ending was obvious.

I like the imagery at the end of him laying on the ground with his arms outstretched. A quasi-crucifixion, and a gift of life for others.

Good movie.

Interesting that the DVD includes no deleted scenes, though. I'd think that there were some.

I think we all new how hed end up, just not how hed get there

ljlinson1206
06-19-09, 20:52
Best picture of 2009. Just my opinion.

ABN
06-19-09, 21:12
The Oscars are the industry's chance to award itself. Expect it to be less than ideal. How many times have you seen someone be a sentimental favorite and win for lesser work due to being overlooked at an earlier time?

Clint Eastwood has won 4 Oscars (2 for Best Director and 2 for Best Picture). I don't think his politics have anything to do with the snub. On the other hand, he could be a victim of the movie industry's politics where studios push one film over another or professional jealousy that inspires people to not support a deserving movie. -The man had two great movies in one year. No award show can undo that.

I recently rented Gran Torino and it was a good character driven story. The humor in it is excellent and natural to the characters. I think the reason why the movie works as well as it does is because of Clint's other roles. We're used to a certain pattern and the twist at the end plays on that familiarity. I had figured out where it had to go but it was good that there was no cheesy, phony, everything is fine ending.

I thought it was an Oscar level performance. I wonder who won it instead ? Just curious.

Terry
06-20-09, 07:55
Watched it last night.
I hardly ever watch newer movies, haven't been in a movie theater since 1985.
Having said that, the movie was good, a bit anti climactic, but a s a whole, a good movie.
It was a window into what made the country great at one time.
Terry.

Mjolnir
06-21-09, 11:01
I heard great reviews as well. I haven't read anything (don't want anything accidentally revealed). Looking forward to it. :)

sjohnny
06-21-09, 12:49
We got it from Netflix and watched it last night. My wife and I both really liked it. We cracked up through most of it.

ZDL
06-21-09, 15:12

ZDL
07-06-09, 00:49