PDA

View Full Version : TN man charged with felony reckless endangerment after returning fire on armed thieve

tn1911
05-20-23, 10:01
https://www.foxnews.com/us/tennessee-man-charged-felony-reckless-endangerment-returning-fire-armed-auto-thieves

A Shelby County man was notified by his surveillance system at around 2 a.m. Saturday that several people were outside his home and using burglary tools in an effort to break into a van, Fox 13 Memphis reported.

After the man walked outside, the thieves fired shots at him as he stood beneath the porch light of his home, according to the outlet.

Security video shows the homeowner and the suspects shooting at each other several times.

The thieves fled the scene and the man went back into his house, but when police arrived, the man’s wife said they began interrogating him.

"When they were talking to him, from what I saw, it was like they were trying to find ways to charge him," the homeowner’s wife told Fox 13 Memphis. "That doesn’t sound right. Why would you put pressure on the victim when you should put pressure for the suspects to be found."

The man, who has not been publicly identified, was eventually arrested and charged with reckless endangerment but later released, and his family hopes the charge will be dropped, according to Fox 13 Memphis.

"The suspects, they are out there," the man’s wife told the outlet. "They were probably sleeping or partying [while] my husband was in jail trying to get released for something where he was innocent."

News of the incident drew criticism on social media, including from Heritage Foundation senior fellow Amy Swearer, who disagreed with the explanation given by police as to why the man was arrested.

tn1911
05-20-23, 10:05
Man arrested after shooting at car theft suspects in self-defense, Shelby County Sheriff's Office says

https://www.localmemphis.com/article/news/local/man-arrested-after-shooting-at-car-theft-suspects-in-self-defense-shelby-county-sheriffs-office-says-gun-violence-tennessee/522-2923d975-7e6b-45b0-9fa0-dd7e304abf30

Rodriquez told authorities that when he walked outside his front door to confront these men, they opened fire on him, according to the affidavit.

Apparently self defense is now frowned upon in Shelby County Tennessee...

Averageman
05-20-23, 10:45
They don't want you to fight back.

Alex V
05-20-23, 10:45
I laugh at people with blue line flags in front of their homes or as stickers on their cars.

I understand Shelby Co is blue and all, but I’m not sure that matters much here. Even in the red most county, cops are not your friends.

Averageman
05-20-23, 11:03
If you have to monitor your security camera's in the middle of the night, Law Enforcement has already failed to be a deterrant to crime in that area hasn't it?
You either obey the law because your a morale person, or your afraid of being caught by the Police.
If you have no morality and you have no fear of the Police, you have potential anarchy.

There's only one way to deal with it if the Cops aren't isn't there?

DG23
05-20-23, 11:10
After the man walked outside, the thieves fired shots at him as he stood beneath the porch light of his home, according to the outlet.

Security video shows the homeowner and the suspects shooting at each other several times.

Self defense or not -

You ARE liable for wherever your bullets may land. Hence the reckless endangerment charges.

tn1911
05-20-23, 11:19
Self defense or not -

You ARE liable for wherever your bullets may land. Hence the reckless endangerment charges.

You probably need to stick to trolling Russian telegram channels here DG...

His actions were based upon an initial deadly force threat. It's not two separate events he was being shot at when he returned fire. He would've never engaged, had the criminals not shot at him. The proper charges here will be to charge those responsible for creating the situation to begin with.

Just ask Kyle Rittenhouse and his lawyers how's that stuff works. Memphis and SCSO are all ran by a bunch of liberal antigun hacks.

Ron3
05-20-23, 11:26
Man arrested after shooting at car theft suspects in self-defense, Shelby County Sheriff's Office says

https://www.localmemphis.com/article/news/local/man-arrested-after-shooting-at-car-theft-suspects-in-self-defense-shelby-county-sheriffs-office-says-gun-violence-tennessee/522-2923d975-7e6b-45b0-9fa0-dd7e304abf30

Apparently self defense is now frowned upon in Shelby County Tennessee...

The victim told the Police he closed eyes while shooting and apparently shot two or more neighbors houses.

This is the guy who needs a shotgun and birdshot. He'll be less dangerous that way.

Closes his eyes while shooting...and then tells the cops he closed his eyes while shooting...

Assuming the cops are telling the truth. They probably are because that'd be an odd thing to make up.

He has the right to protect himself and shoot, but he was stupid about it, apparently.

SomeOtherGuy
05-20-23, 11:32
Deputies say the man told them that he couldn’t clearly see what he was targeting and admitted to firing shots with his eyes closed due to being scared and shooting at the suspects as they fled, the outlet noted.

The man, who has not been publicly identified, was eventually arrested and charged with reckless endangerment but later released, and his family hopes the charge will be dropped, according to Fox 13 Memphis.

As often happens, the guy pretty much arrested himself.

Even if you are 100% in the right, and think you have friendly and honest LE and prosecutor, you still should NOT talk to the police right away, by yourself, without a lawyer guiding you. "This was very stressful, I can make a statement later but need to talk to my lawyer." Be polite, be repetitive, be insistent and don't talk without legal counsel.

Pulling the trigger with your eyes closed and/or shooting at retreating suspects doesn't meet the black letter law of self defense. I'm sure it happens fairly often, but confessing to that is not good for your legal situation.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
05-20-23, 12:57
I'm not sure I necessarily agree with charging him, but he DID say he had no idea where his gun was aimed at, what he was shooting at, etc.

ABNAK
05-20-23, 17:37
Well it is Memphrica (Shelby Co.) after all. :rolleyes: Would probably be the equivalent of shooting someone in St. Louis or Shitcago; the scum running the place don't want their scum constituents being shot YO!

DG23
05-20-23, 20:07
I'm not sure I necessarily agree with charging him, but he DID say he had no idea where his gun was aimed at, what he was shooting at, etc.

You would if his bullets hit YOUR house.

ABNAK
05-20-23, 20:24

Agreed there. Firing in a "spray-and-pray" fashion in a neighborhood is pretty risky at best.

DG23
05-20-23, 20:37
Agreed there. Firing in a "spray-and-pray" fashion in a neighborhood is pretty risky at best.

Police here are not as bad as what Bob wants everyone to believe. Had this guy been more cautious where his rounds went (actually planted them IN the aggressors instead of neighbors houses) this would not be a story at all.

Memphis has had plenty of self defense shootings where the victim (the person that fired in self defense) was NOT charged with anything.

eric0311
05-20-23, 20:47
This is a daily reminder that the cops are not your friend, especially post-shooting. Don’t talk to them… period.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
05-20-23, 21:27

Ha! No, you don’t speak for me. I don’t necessarily agree with charging him, and I certainly wouldn’t agree with any prosecution of him.

SteyrAUG
05-20-23, 21:43
The victim told the Police he closed eyes while shooting and apparently shot two or more neighbors houses.

This is the guy who needs a shotgun and birdshot. He'll be less dangerous that way.

Closes his eyes while shooting...and then tells the cops he closed his eyes while shooting...

Assuming the cops are telling the truth. They probably are because that'd be an odd thing to make up.

He has the right to protect himself and shoot, but he was stupid about it, apparently.

There is that.

The important thing to remember is, when talking to the police, with every word they are asking themselves "do we need to arrest this guy?"

You can be the good guy in a situation and on initial contact the police might have no intention or desire to arrest you, but if you keep saying "things" you might find yourself being arrested.

So regardless of what went down, "I was scared and started shooting back" is a perfectly acceptable thing to say, but "I was scared so I closed my eyes and started shooting" is not an acceptable thing to say.

If they determine other houses were shot, and that's not a good thing, you say "I'll need to consult with my lawyer because as far as I know the guys shooting at me shot those houses."

And even all of that is probably more than needs to be said. 99% of the time the phrase that pays is "I acted in self defense, I want to fully cooperate with any investigation but I need to speak to an attorney before I make any further statements." 99% of cops understand what that specific phrase means and from that instant forward are not going to do anything that might screw up the case they are investigating right now and they are going to generally be cautious about doing something that will get them investigated in the future.

eric0311
05-20-23, 22:09
What this guy said…. Sad state of affairs where we have sworn LE who lack common sense or the ability to use reason… all the more reason to smile and nod, but eye with suspicion… and don’t you dare say anything if you’re involved in something like this… the cops aren’t your friend and they’re not here to help you.

SteyrAUG
05-21-23, 01:47
What this guy said…. Sad state of affairs where we have sworn LE who lack common sense or the ability to use reason… all the more reason to smile and nod, but eye with suspicion… and don’t you dare say anything if you’re involved in something like this… the cops aren’t your friend and they’re not here to help you.

It happens. They hire people and some just aren't reliable. Factor in the job itself attracts those uniquely unsuitable for the job.

But just because they aren't your friends, no reason to make them the enemy either. Being confrontational and a jackass can also get you hooked up when maybe they had no intentions of arresting you.

First decision most cops make is "one of them / one of us" and you don't have to be a cop to be "one of us." They consider themselves the good guys for the most part and for the most part they like the good guys. This is where polite and courteous come into play. Be the guy they don't want to arrest unless they don't have a choice. I have probably gotten out of a dozen tickets (some where I actually did do what they said I did) simply because I talked to them like a "person" and had a reasonable enough answer to the question "why were you driving like a jackass?"

Then cops move on to "do I have to arrest this person." If you are already on the "one of us" list, only the things you say and how you say them can change your status. Keep it short. Give them the cliff notes version of events, "they were breaking into my car, I tried to stop them, they shot at me and I fired back in self defense." Anything beyond that, "I'm unsure it happened fast and I'd really like to speak to my attorney, calm down and try and get it organized in my head before I make a statement."

You can still be the good guy and want to talk to your lawyer first, cops understand you don't want to say something in error and screw yourself over.

Now the guy in this particular story seems to have created some of his own problems if what is being presented is true. If you close your eyes and simply start shooting like an episode of the A Team you are gonna have problem. Shooting houses down the road is not good, would be worse if he actually tagged a bystander and it sounds like dumb luck, time and place are all that prevented it.

yoni
05-21-23, 06:10
If he did in fact say he closed his eyes while shooting, I have no problem with him being charged. I also would have no problem with him being charged over the shots he put into the ground.

Shooting a gun in a built up area should only be done in defense of your life. Which means your fire needs to be aimed at the threat you face. Not shooting into the ground and then closing your eyes and spraying your neighbors house.

ChattanoogaPhil
05-21-23, 07:36
Eyes closed while shooting and punching holes in nearby homes. The wife apparently knew her dumbass husband well enough to be screaming at him to get back inside the house. Tells police, then is surprised he's arrested.

Thank god for the 2A... gun ownership would not survive an IQ test.

Alpha-17
05-21-23, 08:51
They don't want you to fight back.

This, so much this.

Idiot or not, he's returning fire and attempting to defend himself. Everything that followed the criminals attempting to break in to the van is due to their actions. Charge them accordingly. Though I'm not surprised the local propagandists are against people defending themselves; they've already proven to be against it on the national level.

DG23
05-21-23, 09:39
This, so much this.

Idiot or not, he's returning fire and attempting to defend himself. Everything that followed the criminals attempting to break in to the van is due to their actions. Charge them accordingly. Though I'm not surprised the local propagandists are against people defending themselves; they've already proven to be against it on the national level.

BS.

Shooting with your eyes closed 'spray and pray' style is not self defense.

Aside of that little part about 'being responsible for where your bullets land'.

If some fool across the street from YOUR home did the same thing and bullets hit YOUR home while your family was inside you would be pissed and demanding that someone be charged.

Honestly not sure what the law says in TN about a vehicle parked in your driveway as far as lethal force is concerned (a property crime) but they (the thieves) DID fire at him so he likely would have been in the clear if not so reckless with his aiming (and then admitting he was reckless with his aiming to them).

Police here are NOT anti-self defense. They are anti-idiot.

Called (police from this same area) a while back about a neighbors unleashed pitt mutt than ran up on me and my puppies (at the time puppies) in a threatening way. Before they went and had a talk with the asshat neighbor they spent about an hour with me explaining exactly HOW to 'legally' put that damn mutt down if the shit happened again.

The one officer made a big deal about what you DO NOT SAY when you call to report the shooting. You DON'T call and say, 'I was concerned for the safety of my dogs (NOT legal to start shooting to protect 'property' like that) cause THAT will get you jammed up in a heartbeat. When you call you say 'I was concerned for MY safety and in fear for MY life'. He also explained the ordinance about firing inside the city limits blah, blah. Not a big deal if the shooting is justified and nothing much to worry about.

The other officer went out of his way talking about how I would be held responsible for where any and all of my bullets landed. So long as they land in the dog or in the dirt I am good to go but if one hits a neighbors house I will very likely have a big problem. Guy even went into detail about how it is best to wait for said mutt to be over some sort of grass before firing if possible vs him being on pavement as bullets can easily pass through a mutt, hit said pavement and bounce - thus possibly ending up in a neighbors house across the street...

Guess why neither officer ever asked me if I even had a handgun permit? (because they are NOT required for open or concealed carry here)

I freaking live here and know for a fact that the vast majority of our law enforcement officers are NOT anti-self defense. Our firearm laws are not 'anti self defense' either. You do not have a clue. :rolleyes:

Wake27
05-21-23, 09:53
Lots of stupid here. Gun owners are really starting to make me dislike a lot of gun owners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jsbhike
05-21-23, 11:31
The Shelby County Sheriff doesn't seem to have many anti 2a statements floating around, but the city of Memphis is a different story such as:

https://wreg.com/news/local/gun-safe-memphis/memphis-police-blame-tn-gun-laws-after-beale-shooting/

Story could be true. It could also be not exactly true with the dude being aware of "fear for his life" and doubled down on it.

There is also the issue of how this gets handled when LE hose down the area, but not sure how that is viewed in this region of TN.

utahjeepr
05-21-23, 12:24
I ain't gonna argue that the dude wasn't reckless. He was, no doubt about it.

The fact that we was taking fire? Probably for the first time in his life? From a bunch of shitbag thugs mag dumping outside his own home?

I'd call that one hell of an extenuating circumstance.

No bill him and send him for training. Dude had the stones to stand and return fire. He's a community resource.

tn1911
05-21-23, 13:35
There is also the issue of how this gets handled when LE hose down the area, but not sure how that is viewed in this region of TN.

You’re talking about state’s “accomplice laws” and felony-murder laws, and yes it’s handled way different when the cops are the trigger pullers.

Hush
05-21-23, 19:07
Again just because someone owns a gun doesn't make them part of our tribe. This is a bubba fudd of the worst kind, giving all us responsible gun owners a bad name. He dug his grave, let him lie in it.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

SteyrAUG
05-21-23, 20:02
BS.

Shooting with your eyes closed 'spray and pray' style is not self defense.

So the problem starts here:

Imagine a 16 year old girl home alone with no firearms training and she is attacked by home invaders who are torturing her to find out where the money is. She manages to escape, get her dads gun and ends up in a running gun fight that continues into the front yard where she is still firing in an attempt to protect her life but with no real proficiency at all.

Does she still get charged with a crime?

I'm sort of with Alpha-17 on this one. As much as I don't want some dumbass to shoot me, my house, my property or anything else I care about, ultimate responsibility should be with the criminals who were the cause of the incident. Just like when somebody shoots the guy at 7-11, all involved get charged with the murder, if you start a gun fight with the homeowner you are robbing, I think everyone involved becomes responsible for every round fired including the shots of the homeowner, and if anyone dies, even in the case of the homeowner killing one of the criminals, everyone involved with the crime takes a murder charge.

SteyrAUG
05-21-23, 20:05
I ain't gonna argue that the dude wasn't reckless. He was, no doubt about it.

The fact that we was taking fire? Probably for the first time in his life? From a bunch of shitbag thugs mag dumping outside his own home?

I'd call that one hell of an extenuating circumstance.

No bill him and send him for training. Dude had the stones to stand and return fire. He's a community resource.

Pretty much where I'm at. Wouldn't want to be downrange of his house, but still pretty much where I'm at.

T2C
05-22-23, 15:28
As others have said, this statement is probably what caused him legal trouble - "Rodriquez told police he returned fire, but that he couldn't see what he was targeting, according to the affidavit. He told police that he closed his eyes while shooting because he was scared and that the suspect's vehicle was slightly behind his van. He also told police he fired at these suspects when they retreated to their sedan, according to the affidavit."

It's not just the way he made his statement, but what he did during the incident. His use of deadly force was justified, but the irresponsible way he fired was not. In my area Rodriquez would have been charged with Reckless Discharge of a Firearm and Reckless Conduct.

Morally, I support Rodriquez, but tactically I do not.

Hush
05-22-23, 15:59
I spend a large portion of my income on ammo and training to maintain my proficiency. Having worked at a public indoor range and seeing the large amount of bubba's who come in weekly only to turn money into noise with the same shotgun pattern and zero improvement....you do you, but you're on your own. If you want to defend yourself, fantastic I'm with you. If you choose to do it irresponsibly, and give all gun owners a black eye....you're on your own.

eric0311
05-22-23, 16:54
I think what’s truly being overlooked here is the fact that we have law enforcement officers hanging a man out to dry for his statements, post-self defense shooting… arguably one of the most adrenaline and fear inducing events a human being can ever take part in. Why, it’s so impactful on a person… that LE officers who are involved in these situations are compelled to tell obscene supervisors (typically) these few things: I fired at this/these persons, my fires were directed at this direction, there are/are not any outstanding suspect(s)… your mileage may very depending on state law and policy… but that's typically it… and they’re most definitely ordered to stop talking to others/the supervisor/peers etc. They compel them to pass on info regarding any stray rounds that may have not struck the suspect and for evidentiary reasons… but anything more could be deemed possibly out of policy or criminal… and they’re not going to dig into the matter until the officer has representation… because humans (including cops) are human, and a stress inducing shooting will cause a distortion of memory, and until one has time to decompress and analyze their actions, statements maybe grossly inaccurate, though no fault of their own… maybe cops should be more inclined protect people (from themselves) before rushing to charge a man who probably lacks criminal law knowledge….they protect their own, but not that doesn’t seem to reciprocate to citizens….ultimately, people need to understand Officer McSmiley works for the government (local/state/federal)… and will burn you down, literally and figuratively , because orders and such…

Wake27
05-22-23, 17:21
I think what’s truly being overlooked here is the fact that we have law enforcement officers hanging a man out to dry for his statements, post-self defense shooting… arguably one of the most adrenaline and fear inducing events a human being can ever take part in. Why, it’s so impactful on a person… that LE officers who are involved in these situations are compelled to tell obscene supervisors (typically) these few things: I fired at this/these persons, my fires were directed at this direction, there are/are not any outstanding suspect(s)… your mileage may very depending on state law and policy… but that's typically it… and they’re most definitely ordered to stop talking to others/the supervisor/peers etc. They compel them to pass on info regarding any stray rounds that may have not struck the suspect and for evidentiary reasons… but anything more could be deemed possibly out of policy or criminal… and they’re not going to dig into the matter until the officer has representation… because humans (including cops) are human, and a stress inducing shooting will cause a distortion of memory, and until one has time to decompress and analyze their actions, statements maybe grossly inaccurate, though no fault of their own… maybe cops should be more inclined protect people (from themselves) before rushing to charge a man who probably lacks criminal law knowledge….they protect their own, but not that doesn’t seem to reciprocate to citizens….ultimately, people need to understand Officer McSmiley works for the government (local/state/federal)… and will burn you down, literally and figuratively , because orders and such…

**** that shit. Lack of criminal law knowledge doesn’t excuse blind firing. He chose to confront the thieves with a weapon. Do it responsibly (i.e. don’t needlessly endanger other civilians) or get ****ed for being an idiot.

Irresponsible gun ownership should have consequences because it puts other people in danger and is used as ammunition to destroy the second amendment.

eric0311
05-22-23, 17:49
**** that shit. Lack of criminal law knowledge doesn’t excuse blind firing. He chose to confront the thieves with a weapon. Do it responsibly (i.e. don’t needlessly endanger other civilians) or get ****ed for being an idiot.

Irresponsible gun ownership should have consequences because it puts other people in danger and is used as ammunition to destroy the second amendment.

You make a valid point… but the fact that some folks, including you, aren’t concerned with the crux of my argument is alarming to say the least.

Let me frame it like this… what if his initial statements were muddied and distorted by the effects of the adrenaline and all the aforementioned physiological/psychological issues associated with life or death incidents… maybe his statements weren’t exactly accurate (we’ll never know because he lacked the sense to not talk to the police or divulge any/all info related to the event)…. But it’s too little and too late, because the LE who investigated this shooting used any and all statements against this man.

I’m not advocating for blindly firing your weapon, in the middle of a gunfight… I’m not… so let’s not misconstrue my message.

Averageman
05-22-23, 17:53
Spraying and Praying isn't self defense.

Hush
05-22-23, 17:57
https://youtu.be/AHzw4QvE2Do

eric0311
05-22-23, 18:05
Spraying and Praying isn't self defense.

Aaaaand see above…

Wake27
05-22-23, 18:24
You make a valid point… but the fact that some folks, including you, aren’t concerned with the crux of my argument is alarming to say the least.

Let me frame it like this… what if his initial statements were muddied and distorted by the effects of the adrenaline and all the aforementioned physiological/psychological issues associated with life or death incidents… maybe his statements weren’t exactly accurate (we’ll never know because he lacked the sense to not talk to the police or divulge any/all info related to the event)…. But it’s too little and too late, because the LE who investigated this shooting used any and all statements against this man.

I’m not advocating for blindly firing your weapon, in the middle of a gunfight… I’m not… so let’s not misconstrue my message.

Ok so the adrenaline rush resulted in him lying or otherwise producing a false statement? I’ve been in a life and death situation where my body went into shock. Looking back, it felt like I was super drunk, but I don’t know of any instance where I lied or made incorrect statements.

Obviously sample size of one and all, but what we know about this incident and the guy leads me to believe it’s more likely that he did close his eyes and shoot than he did produce a false statement, intentional or not.

Regardless, he hasn’t been convicted so it’s a matter of proving one way or the other now.

T2C
05-22-23, 19:27

It's not what Rodriquez said that bothers me, it's what he did. Firing wildly is unacceptable. Had he intentionally targeted the people who were firing at him, he most likely would not have been charged.

eric0311
05-22-23, 19:28
Ok so the adrenaline rush resulted in him lying or otherwise producing a false statement? I’ve been in a life and death situation where my body went into shock. Looking back, it felt like I was super drunk, but I don’t know of any instance where I lied or made incorrect statements.

Obviously sample size of one and all, but what we know about this incident and the guy leads me to believe it’s more likely that he did close his eyes and shoot than he did produce a false statement, intentional or not.

Regardless, he hasn’t been convicted so it’s a matter of proving one way or the other now.

Dude- I sincerely hope when you’re out enforcing whomst ever state law you enforce, that you seriously consider the implications of this case… no one is suggesting lying to the authorities, or that if the guy was *allowed* to gather himself, and was properly notified of the impending barrage of seemingly innocuous questions from (more than likely an overzealous investigator) that he would intentionally mislead the investigator and said kind of questions… I’m gonna go out on a limb and say the line of questioning used against the shooter wasn’t a simple field interview, and that more advanced interrogation tactics were used… just a hunch… call it a cops intuition. This is a slippery slope… only question is… for the exacting and critical thinkers… what side of the slope are you on…

Hush
05-22-23, 19:34
This guy doesn't sound very smart. His actions, and how he described them reinforce that. We have enough stupid people, I'm all for letting them fend for themselves. Not everyone is responsible enough to own a gun. Or drive a car. Or be allowed to have children. Or breathe oxygen.

SteyrAUG
05-22-23, 21:33

While we are at it, let's not overlook the fact that "trained professionals" shoot bystanders.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/empire-state-building-shooting-nypd-gunfire-wounded-victims/story?id=17078377

eric0311
05-23-23, 06:25
I’m sure they’re union rep. was quick to hold those officers from spurting out statements which would/could be detrimental to their justification/reasonableness of deadly force. This may come to a shock to 99.9% of you (who probably haven’t been in the arena… but I know Mr. Aug has) have ZERO idea what happens to you pre/post self-defense shooting….

T2C
05-23-23, 08:07
I’m sure they’re union rep. was quick to hold those officers from spurting out statements which would/could be detrimental to their justification/reasonableness of deadly force. This may come to a shock to 99.9% of you (who probably haven’t been in the arena… but I know Mr. Aug has) have ZERO idea what happens to you pre/post self-defense shooting….

Some of us who, unfortunately, have firsthand experience with this sort of thing think Rodriquez screwed up. Somebody else got away with it is not a defense.

Wake27
05-23-23, 08:56
Dude- I sincerely hope when you’re out enforcing whomst ever state law you enforce, that you seriously consider the implications of this case… no one is suggesting lying to the authorities, or that if the guy was *allowed* to gather himself, and was properly notified of the impending barrage of seemingly innocuous questions from (more than likely an overzealous investigator) that he would intentionally mislead the investigator and said kind of questions… I’m gonna go out on a limb and say the line of questioning used against the shooter wasn’t a simple field interview, and that more advanced interrogation tactics were used… just a hunch… call it a cops intuition. This is a slippery slope… only question is… for the exacting and critical thinkers… what side of the slope are you on…

If he’s not smart enough to anticipate a barrage of questions after a shooting, he probably doesn’t have the mental capacity to be armed.

Hush
05-23-23, 08:58
If he’s not smart enough to anticipate a barrage of questions after a shooting, he probably doesn’t have the mental capacity to be armed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ProAnd that describes north of 50% of gun owners.

jsbhike
05-23-23, 11:50
Some of us who, unfortunately, have firsthand experience with this sort of thing think Rodriquez screwed up. Somebody else got away with it is not a defense.

Getting by with it versus not being held to the same standard are 2 different things.

Averageman
05-23-23, 12:00
If I ever get in a gun fight in my drive way, when the Cops show up; all I want is a ciggerette and some curb to sit on. Really just let me digest it for a couple hours before you harass me.
When you've got so much "Stuff" that you can't secure it in the garage this is what happens. Part of this is Oppertunity.
It's not as bad here as in Austin, but people get ripped off every day, usually a tool truck or something similar. They love them some garden tools also.

chuckman
05-23-23, 12:36
If the law works the way it should, he should be charged. But then be no billed or have an attorney who could plead him out to something simple, and get training. Balanced scales of justice and all.

utahjeepr
05-23-23, 18:39
If the law works the way it should, he should be charged. But then be no billed or have an attorney who could plead him out to something simple, and get training. Balanced scales of justice and all.

Pretty much my thoughts. He probably ought to pay to fix the neighbors house as well. Hopefully he would come to that conclusion on his own.

SteyrAUG
05-23-23, 21:29
And that describes north of 50% of gun owners.

No joke. I've owned guns since I was 10, but I never got "post shooting police interaction" instruction until I was well into adulthood. Lots of people never get it. That is why people generally have to trust LEOs to not try and jam them up because it isn't terribly hard.