PDA

View Full Version : 686-6 Mainspring & grip replacement

Ron3
05-23-23, 20:25
My new 686 Plus 3 inch round butt works fine. But the DA is a little heavy.

I want to lighten the mainspring but leave the trigger return spring alone. I'm just going to step the mainspring to the next lower weight Wolff sells. I haven't checked yet. Reliability is very important of course.

When I tighten the mainspring tension screw (at the base of the grip) should I put some blue Loc-tite on it?

Also, the wood grip looks great but is actually awful. Would be good for concealment. But otherwise it lacks texture, doesn't offer any cushion, and the finger grooves couldn't be in a worse place for my hand.

Any of you have experience with the current Hogue or Pachmeyer rubber offerings?

anachronism
05-23-23, 21:15
In the olden days we'd cross drill the mainspring tension screw hole and tap it for an allen head setscrew. We'd also recut the threads for the tension screw itself to be neat and thorough about it. Then it was a simple matter to tune the mainspring tension to be reliable and as light as was practical. This was preferable to us when compared to loctite in case we wanted to experiment a bit more. Other options include Wolff reduced power mainsprings: https://www.gunsprings.com/SMITH+&+WESSON/K,+L,+&+N+FRAME/cID3/mID58/dID264 and I personally have had good luck with rebound springs in the 13-14 lb range. I normally buy rebound spring assortment packs and start at the low end and try each one in normal dry-fire until I get the lightest spring that gives me the trigger return feel that I want. It usually takes 2-3 tries to get exactly what I want. I tend to buy individual springs direct from Wolff instead of others manufacturers "kits", not counting the Wolff rebound spring assortment mentioned earlier of course.

For grips, have you considered G-10 micarta? VZ has some really decent looking designs. My 686 wears Hogue wood grips, which fit my hand better than their rubber grips do, but mine is a square butt, so there's a significant difference there. For rubber grips I prefer Pachmayr Compacs or Compac Professionals. I tried to look them up, but Lymans website is poorly done and their Pachmayr cataloging is horribly challenging.

Delta-3
05-24-23, 02:15
I put Pachmayr Diamond Pro grips on mine. They cover the backstrap so they really soften the recoil in your hand, are comfortable & fit very well.

https://i.imgur.com/w4nTmac.jpg

Ron3
05-24-23, 09:31
I'll look into these grips and get a slightly lighter Wolf mainspring, thanks!

If I like it I'll put blue Loc-tite on the mainspring screw.

Perhaps I should replace the lock with a plug while I've got the side plate off.

Ron3
05-24-23, 11:32
I'm going to start with the Hogue Bantam grip and if it doesn't work for me will try a Pachmeyr and after that G10, if necessary.

I really like the Hogue on my LCR and King Cobra.

Ron3
05-24-23, 11:33
Where is the best place to get the Hillary Hole plug?

Delta-3
05-24-23, 13:00
https://www.originalprecision.com/lock-delete-kit.html

Ron3
05-24-23, 15:19
https://www.originalprecision.com/lock-delete-kit.html

Thanks

After further research, I'm not going to replace the mainspring. It's too easy to get light strikes in these S&W's. I'll keep an eye on the tension screw and if there is ever any loosening I'll tighten and loc-tite it.

cd228
05-24-23, 16:44
Round butt or Square butt? I've got a set of hogues on a square butt and it's comfortable, you feel something with heavier loads. You can also look at Pachmayer's gripper, presentation and compac. I've had most of the Pachmyers at one point. they are good quality, but I don't care for how they fit my hand.

Ron3
05-24-23, 19:03
Round butt or Square butt? I've got a set of hogues on a square butt and it's comfortable, you feel something with heavier loads. You can also look at Pachmayer's gripper, presentation and compac. I've had most of the Pachmyers at one point. they are good quality, but I don't care for how they fit my hand.

3 in. Round butt.

With the wood grips, it was only slightly better than the King Cobra. Mild .357 loads were tolerable for a little while and good splits could be achieved at close targets. (.25 - .35 sec.)

But full strength 158 gr .357's kinda hurt and slow things way down.

Same as the much smaller KC.

Ron3
05-28-23, 16:14
I got the Hogue "Bantam" grip & really like it so far. Very size efficient, fits my hand very well, and the fitment could not be better.

Haven't fired it with this grip yet.

I've dry-fired it a bit since the first range trip & it does seem to have started to smooth up. It's good but too heavy.

My Taurus 431, Ruger LCR, King Cobra, and M92X all have superior, lighter DA triggers than this 686.

Needs pull weight reduced.

I need to decide which aftermarket mainsprings to try. I'm not interested in reducing trigger return spring weight.

Any suggestions for a reliable, less-weighty mainspring?

cd228
05-29-23, 13:13
3 in. Round butt.

With the wood grips, it was only slightly better than the King Cobra. Mild .357 loads were tolerable for a little while and good splits could be achieved at close targets. (.25 - .35 sec.)

But full strength 158 gr .357's kinda hurt and slow things way down.

Same as the much smaller KC.

For that, try the Pachmayer compacts, just make sure you get the ones with the closed backstrap. I've got a pair on an S&W 64 that are great. Just inspect them before you buy them, some folks are complaining that they have a gap. If you you want something a little bigger try the hogue tamers.

Ron3
05-30-23, 00:04
For that, try the Pachmayer compacts, just make sure you get the ones with the closed backstrap. I've got a pair on an S&W 64 that are great. Just inspect them before you buy them, some folks are complaining that they have a gap. If you you want something a little bigger try the hogue tamers.

Thanks.

I got the Hogue "Bantam" grip & really like it so far. Very size efficient, fits my hand very well, and the fitment could not be better.

Haven't fired it with this grip yet.

Did more dry firing and researched mainsprings. Often leads to a rabbit-hole of strain screw mods, re-bending the mainspring, polishing, installing a longer firing pin, etc. to regain reliability. I'm not doing that I have enough projects. The more I dry fire it the better the trigger seems to get, anyway. It's not bad.

Ron3
08-09-23, 09:18
Thought I'd update.

The Bantam grip shoots great. It's as big as it needs to be for my hand and no more.

Gun loves 180 gr bullets, very accurate. Very happy with it. Needs a CC holster. Recently got some soft-ish 185 gr LHP's I'll load up to about 925 fps.