PDA

View Full Version : Vacation in Nashville

signal4l
06-01-23, 18:50
Planning a family road trip to Nashville this summer with wife and teen age sons. Never been there.

We plan on checking out the Gibson factory, as oldest son is a guitar nut. Looking for recommendations regarding were to stay (need pool) as well as other things to see and do.

Also what/where to avoid. Every city has its no go zones nowadays.

Thanks

Averageman
06-02-23, 06:20
Hahaha, I was just going to say pay a visit to the Gibson factory.

Alex V
06-02-23, 07:27
The teenage sons pretty much excludes most of what we did when we were there in October.

If you're not going to drink your face off, staying away from the bar scene on Broadway, especially on Friday and Saturday night. Although... your sons may enjoy the "sights" LOL

We had to take one day off from drinking and went to the zoo. It's only about 30min outside of downtown, small, but really nice. There is, of coarse, the Country Music hall of fame, and the Johnny Cash Museum if you're into country music. We enjoyed both.

We stayed at the Cambria Hotel in downtown, it was an excellent hotel, but stupid expensive. It was a gift from my parents since this was a birthday trip for both my wife and myself.

Crow Hunter
06-02-23, 07:32
What kind of stuff are you interested in?

The Frist Center for the Visual Arts often has some really cool stuff in it.

The Parthenon is worth checking out.

The Tennessee Museum is full of history.

Clarksville isn't that far of a drive from Nashville if you are interested in going to Ft. Campbell and seeing the 101st museum.

If you are into Civil War history Stones River Battlefield in Murfreesboro and The Battle of Franklin aren't that far away and there are several items related to the Battle of Nashville around town.

If you are into country music there is a bunch of stuff related to that Printers Alley and Ryman and stuff (I'm not so I am not the person to talk to that).

There is the Nashville Zoo, I have never been but I have heard it isn't very big. (The Memphis Zoo on the other hand is one of the best in the nation, just don't go on Tuesdays.)

tn1911
06-02-23, 09:16
Downtown is a circus after dark pretty much any given day of the week... I’d say avoid south and East Nashville but my old stomping grounds of hermitage and old hickory have gone to shit as well.

The town ain’t what it used to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1S4_tt40iI

signal4l
06-02-23, 09:48
Thanks for the Intel.

Johnny Cash museum sounds great. Probably check out zoo as well. Would like to see some live music and avoid the circus on Broadway.

Younger son insists on staying at a waterpark. Found a newer one near Nashville that looks ok

ABNAK
06-02-23, 10:22
Thanks for the Intel.

Johnny Cash museum sounds great. Probably check out zoo as well. Would like to see some live music and avoid the circus on Broadway.

Younger son insists on staying at a waterpark. Found a newer one near Nashville that looks ok

For live music there's the Grand Ole Opry and nearby Opryland Hotel; the hotel is pricey as hell but worth at least walking through. The water park near there, as with any such summertime attraction, might best be served with a recon first as the clientele might not be what you'd want your kids in the middle of.

There is also the Glock Store not too far from the airport. They have a "Shoot 270" indoor range that's supposed to be kick-ass. Since you mentioned a "road trip" if you're packing that would be a cool place to go. I would say that if it interests you to call well ahead and try to reserve one of the shoot rooms, most likely on a weekday.

In general, outdoor stuff in the middle of a TN summer daytime (that doesn't involve water) is gonna be unpleasant. Evenings are better for walking around seeing stuff, but then again that depends on where.

Crow Hunter
06-02-23, 10:48
For live music there's the Grand Ole Opry and nearby Opryland Hotel; the hotel is pricey as hell but worth at least walking through. The water park near there, as with any such summertime attraction, might best be served with a recon first as the clientele might not be what you'd want your kids in the middle of.

There is also the Glock Store not too far from the airport. They have a "Shoot 270" indoor range that's supposed to be kick-ass. Since you mentioned a "road trip" if you're packing that would be a cool place to go. I would say that if it interests you to call well ahead and try to reserve one of the shoot rooms, most likely on a weekday.

In general, outdoor stuff in the middle of a TN summer daytime (that doesn't involve water) is gonna be unpleasant. Evenings are better for walking around seeing stuff, but then again that depends on where.

Depends on if you are cold natured like I am or not.

I like our summers. :)

But I don't start getting hot until it is over 95 degrees.

Crow Hunter
06-02-23, 10:52
Also, which direction are you going to be driving in from?

Might have some other cool things to stop off and look at.

Coming down I40 eastbound stop by at Narrows of the Harpeth state park, only take a few minutes and it is really nice unless you want to kayak and then that would take a while.

Coming down I40 westbound stop by Burgess falls just outside of Cookeville. It is a short but steep hike and it is a beautiful waterfall.

If you are coming north or south down 65 or 22, I could give you more ideas.

Crow Hunter
06-02-23, 10:57
Oh, one other thing about TN in summer.

Chiggers.

If they don't have them where you are from, you need to learn about them fast or you will regret it.:suicide:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trombiculidae

I have a guy that works for me from Wisconsin and one day I mentioned that I had gotten chiggers and it was driving me crazy. He asked if it was a disease to much mirth from the TN natives on my team.

He had never heard of them and never gotten them.

You don't want them.

Palmguy
06-02-23, 14:41
The Gaylord Opryland is cool and they have their own water park now as someone mentioned earlier in the thread. It's expensive at retail but if you have any Marriott promotional tie-in you may be able to find a deal - my company's corporate rate with them is at the high end of the range for what I'm willing pay, the retail rate is not.

The Broadway area is pretty alcohol-centric so probably shouldn't be a focus with teenagers.

GaryXD
06-02-23, 15:30
I was not aware the Gibson factory is open to the public. The Gibson Garage downtown is nice, as is Carter Vintage Guitars.

signal4l
06-02-23, 15:54
Also, which direction are you going to be driving in from?

Might have some other cool things to stop off and look at.

Coming down I40 eastbound stop by at Narrows of the Harpeth state park, only take a few minutes and it is really nice unless you want to kayak and then that would take a while.

Coming down I40 westbound stop by Burgess falls just outside of Cookeville. It is a short but steep hike and it is a beautiful waterfall.

If you are coming north or south down 65 or 22, I could give you more ideas.

I will be driving from the North. Thanks again. I appreciate the info

signal4l
06-02-23, 16:07
I thought Gibson had a tour...I will have to check.

We will probably stay at Gaylord waterpark. It is expensive enough to keep out the hood rats. Learned when the kids were young that cheap water parks are a no go

wigbones
06-02-23, 19:19
If you're coming north from Kentucky check out Mammoth Cave. They have tours and it's a great experience. It's only a couple hours from Nashville.
The Gaylord Opryland is a really cool place. The living gardens are always enjoyable as you walk through their hotels. The waterpark there is nice. A little expensive but it's only open to guests of the hotel which is nice. It has both an indoor and outdoor section and should keep you busy for a while.

Crow Hunter
06-02-23, 20:05
I will be driving from the North. Thanks again. I appreciate the info

Mammoth Caves as mentioned. If you are coming down I65 through Louisville, fort Knox is okay. It isn't as nice since they took all the armor away but the museum is still good. Corvette museum is in Bowling Green if you are into that.

If you go through Clarksville, Ft Campbell as mentioned but there is also Port Royal state park and Dunbar Cave, both of which can be seen in just an hour or two. Technically the Bell Witch cave (ref American Haunting movie) is not too far from Port Royal but I don't think it is open to the public anymore and none of the locals will talk about it. I had a friend that was a descendant of Bell that swore when he was little there was a unconnected phone in the attic of one of his spinster aunts that would ring and a woman would talk on it. He said it was the witch. :) I figure it was one of the aunts trying to scare him into behaving.

If you want a really pretty drive there is a road that goes from Ashland City to Peagram that is a beautiful drive. It will come out right close to Narrows of the Harpeth and I-40 West of Nashville. It is probably better for Autumn though.

I hope you are safe and have a really good time.

jsbhike
06-02-23, 20:53
If you're coming north from Kentucky check out Mammoth Cave. They have tours and it's a great experience. It's only a couple hours from Nashville.
The Gaylord Opryland is a really cool place. The living gardens are always enjoyable as you walk through their hotels. The waterpark there is nice. A little expensive but it's only open to guests of the hotel which is nice. It has both an indoor and outdoor section and should keep you busy for a while.

Mammoth Cave is cool.

This used to be neat for a night.

https://historicwigwamvillage.com/

Sleep mask is a must. The white cone shaped inner wall magnified the security light coming through the curtains and the vcr clock(1999) to the point it was like sun just starting to rise all night.

Slater
06-03-23, 08:36
I was born and raised in Tennessee. The last time I was in Nashville was 1986. I would imagine that it would be unrecognizable to me now.

Crow Hunter
06-03-23, 10:26
I was born and raised in Tennessee. The last time I was in Nashville was 1986. I would imagine that it would be unrecognizable to me now.

I guarantee it would be.

I still live here and just had to go through there less than a year ago and I didn't recognize anything but the Batman building. :)

prepare
06-03-23, 18:17
Mammoth Caves as mentioned. If you are coming down I65 through Louisville, fort Knox is okay. It isn't as nice since they took all the armor away but the museum is still good. Corvette museum is in Bowling Green if you are into that.

If you go through Clarksville, Ft Campbell as mentioned but there is also Port Royal state park and Dunbar Cave, both of which can be seen in just an hour or two. Technically the Bell Witch cave (ref American Haunting movie) is not too far from Port Royal but I don't think it is open to the public anymore and none of the locals will talk about it. I had a friend that was a descendant of Bell that swore when he was little there was a unconnected phone in the attic of one of his spinster aunts that would ring and a woman would talk on it. He said it was the witch. :) I figure it was one of the aunts trying to scare him into behaving.

If you want a really pretty drive there is a road that goes from Ashland City to Peagram that is a beautiful drive. It will come out right close to Narrows of the Harpeth and I-40 West of Nashville. It is probably better for Autumn though.

I hope you are safe and have a really good time.

Is Fort Campbell open to the public? Military bases use to have restricted access.

ABNAK
06-03-23, 19:23
Is Fort Campbell open to the public? Military bases use to have restricted access.

I believe you can get a visitor pass at the main gate "visitor center".

Wake27
06-03-23, 19:53
I believe you can get a visitor pass at the main gate "visitor center".

Yeah most of them have moved to allowing civilians on if they go through the visitor center and get a temp pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro