PDA

View Full Version : TRP vs. TRS vs other???

mattjmcd
12-30-08, 10:39
Hey folks!

Looking to add my second 1911, and these 2 guns have gotten a fair bit of praise. I wonder if anybody can provide compelling reasons to pick one or the other..?

I *think* I like the Baer, but in my neck of the woods, a TRP will save me enough to buy some Wilson mags and maybe ammo and leather to boot- figure $1300-ish vs. about $1900+ for the Baer.

I am interested in reliability and good CS. I know nothing about Baer CS.

d90king
12-30-08, 11:17
I would go with the Baer personally. The time in fitting and the quality components used(not crazy about the Champion sights) to me make it a easy choice. The Baers are very very accurate 1911's.

You are kinda comparing apples to tangerines IMHO. A better comparison might be with the Pro which is a excellent gun. Call crazy John at Proload and I think you might save a dollar or two on the TRS. Here is a pic of a TRC with a 10-8 rear and 10-8 G10's which is a Commander length version (in HC) of the TRS.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/d90king/DSCN0930.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/d90king/DSCN0932.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/d90king/DSCN0934.jpg

og556
12-30-08, 13:07
I have heard nothing but good things about the TRP from people who have owned them. I can also say the same about the TRS.

The Baer TRS is a hand fitted highly accurate 1911 where as the TRP as far as I know is not built to the same standards (correct me if I'm wrong). I would also look at the Les Baer Premiere II for a good comparison to the TRP.

If you were to get the TRP would you go for the light railed model or are you looking for something with out a light rail ? If you were not looking for something to mount a light to the TRS or PII would be a great alternative to a TRP.

Personally I would go with the TRP and use the extra money you saved on mags, ammo, and a good holster. Then again if I had more funds to feed the thing after I bought it, I would get the TRS.

You really cannot go wrong with either one.

theJanitor
12-30-08, 13:57
As a Baer owner, I can say that I love owning this gun (not a TR). the fit/finish/accuracy is stellar. and it runs really well.

Both these guns will shoot accurately enough. they should both run well enough, but the fit of the Baer leads me to believe that it'll run better and more accurately for more years.

now if you're considering a Baer or a Springer Pro, i'd go with the Pro

Business_Casual
12-30-08, 14:35
I didn't like the Baer I had - but that was a sample of one.

I'd buy a CQB or a Special Forces before either of those. Shrug.

M_P

HK45
12-30-08, 16:15
Baer. I have five TRS' and they have all run like tops. Great fitting, very accurate. The TRP is nice but not in the same league nor should it be given the cost differential.

I have called Baer several times with questions and they put Les on the phone. i don't know anyone else who does that in the high end 1911 business.

mattjmcd
12-30-08, 17:27
Baer. I have five TRS' and they have all run like tops. Great fitting, very accurate. The TRP is nice but not in the same league nor should it be given the cost differential.

I have called Baer several times with questions and they put Les on the phone. i don't know anyone else who does that in the high end 1911 business.

In your experience, were they all like that out of the box?

d90king
12-30-08, 18:15

I also have 5 Baers not all TRS but my experience has been the same. The beef with Baer is mostly that when his guns are new they are tight, tight however does not mean that they fail or are not accurate. After shooting the pistols that issue is gone in 1k rounds( quite frankly I test a pistol that much anyway to make sure it is suitable for carry).
I have the following and they have all been problem free.

1:SuperTac (used at a Vickers course and had no problem with reset drills with TIP)
2:PII
3TRC
4:Stinger
5 Monolith Heavy weight (in fairness this is a safe queen that should not be in the stats)

If I had a negative on Les Baer pistols its that his checkering can SUCK at times, not enough attention to detail in that department.

mattjmcd
12-30-08, 18:38
good feedback, and thanks. please keep it coming!

HK45
12-30-08, 19:22
All like what? None had any issues although all were very tight. They are no longer made quite as tight from what I understand.

OD*
01-03-09, 09:16
Get the Baer TRS. As was mentioned, the TRP is nice but it is not in the same league as the TRS. Call John@Pro Load Distributors, you CAN buy a TRS cheaper than $1900. http://www.proload.com/

Rinspeed
01-03-09, 11:17
The TRP is one of the best production 1911s you can buy but not in the same league as a Baer in either parts quality or fitting. The Baers are a bit tight when new but just keep getting smoother and smoother the more you shoot them. Last I knew the TRS was running right around $1730 from Proload or Sporting Arms.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/Rinspeed/IMG_0886.jpg

MarshallDodge
01-03-09, 22:25
I picked up a barely used TRS this year for almost the price of a new TRP and have been very impressed with it so far.

I have no experience shooting the TRP but I would bet that it is a good shooter. The ones I have handled do not have nearly the fit and finish of the Baer.

Jack_Stroker
01-04-09, 21:33
I currently own two Springfield Armory TRP's. I have one Stainless Steel TRP and one TRP Operator. For the price I think they are awesome and hard to beat. The accuracy is superb, and the fit and finish is solid as well. No it isn't in the same league as some other 1911's, but I can't think of anything better for the price. Beyond that the TRP's have both been extremely reliable for me and superbly accurate. They also seem to work with any ammunition or magazines I've tried without fail.

My Stainless Steel TRP is actually my daily carry piece.

Jason Burton
01-05-09, 22:02
I've shot the TRP quite a bit and the TR Special even more, maybe more like a helluva lot, and if I was looking in that 'semi-custom' market the TR Special would be my first stop.

Neither are perfect but both present a good value and are good guns for their price point. I think if it's a straight choice between the two I would have to give the nod to the TR Special.