PDA

View Full Version : Streamlight TLR-2 Zeroing the Laser

Gutshot John
12-30-08, 12:40
Ok, so please someone tell me how you zero the freakin laser? I see no hole to stick a hex wrench or somesuch, the instructions only tell you why you might want to zero the laser, but not how.

Gutshot John
12-30-08, 12:56
Nevermind about the how.

But let's add at what distance is it ideal to zero the laser?

John_Wayne777
12-30-08, 13:21
Lasers in general:

Depends on what your requirements are. I know some folks who say 25 yards, some who say 15, and others 7. It depends on what set of choices you want to live with.

I'd say try out a few different distances and see what works best for your expectations. Zero the laser at 7 and try shooting at 15 and 25 yards and see if there's a problem at the longer distances.

Zero at 25 and then try closer shots and see if the offset is a problem for you.

The TLR-2 specifically:

I forgot for a minute you were discussing the TLR-2. The offset of the TLR-2 is heinous. You're pretty much going to be stuck zeroing it at a minimum of 15 yards. The minimum range I could get a useful sight zero on the TLR-2 was 10 yards (using an M&P), and that wasn't precise. The offset at closer distances is going to suck hosewater with the TLR-2 because it is so much lower than the bore-line.

Also be aware that the TLR-2's are known for having zero issues if the unit is removed from the weapon. When you zero the sight at the range, take the unit on and off the weapon several times to see if your zero shifts any. You're going to need to sight in and check zero with extremely precise paper targets.

Gutshot John
12-30-08, 13:43
Lasers in general:

Depends on what your requirements are. I know some folks who say 25 yards, some who say 15, and others 7. It depends on what set of choices you want to live with.

I'd say try out a few different distances and see what works best for your expectations. Zero the laser at 7 and try shooting at 15 and 25 yards and see if there's a problem at the longer distances.

Zero at 25 and then try closer shots and see if the offset is a problem for you.

The TLR-2 specifically:

I forgot for a minute you were discussing the TLR-2. The offset of the TLR-2 is heinous. You're pretty much going to be stuck zeroing it at a minimum of 15 yards. The minimum range I could get a useful sight zero on the TLR-2 was 10 yards (using an M&P), and that wasn't precise. The offset at closer distances is going to suck hosewater with the TLR-2 because it is so much lower than the bore-line.

Also be aware that the TLR-2's are known for having zero issues if the unit is removed from the weapon. When you zero the sight at the range, take the unit on and off the weapon several times to see if your zero shifts any. You're going to need to sight in and check zero with extremely precise paper targets.

So you can't just match it to the sights at a particular range?

John_Wayne777
12-30-08, 16:07
So you can't just match it to the sights at a particular range?

If your sights are correct at that same range, sure. Adjust the dot to sit on the top edge of your front sight. At closer ranges (10 yards and under) I couldn't get the TLR-2 to do that when mounted on my M&P because of the heinous offset.